This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Adalaide Mentor

I have been tempted over and over to make a meatza. My husband and I are both carnivores and I think we would enjoy it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

Cookingpapa Rookie

Foil wrapped chicken with fennel, red bell peppers.

Won't be home in time to cook tonight, so I guess wifey will get take out and I'll get a call at 6:30 to pick it up on my way home.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Leftovers again.

I'd eat a meatza. :)

GottaSki Mentor

I'd do meatza -- lol -- mine would be almost all meat - no cheese, but would top with vegies and....more meat ;)

Adalaide Mentor

Burgers and microwave baked taters tonight. I had a side of sliced tomato. I just can't have a good day lately, I'm not sure what is up but I feel like I had a truck ram into my left side about a million times. If I do more than some light cooking and cleaning up after myself and some moseying around the house here and there I end up unable to walk again. Blargh, this has to let up soon I'm thinking. Tomorrow I'll find the energy for mac & cheese, I have my first dentist appointment for bridge work. :ph34r:

IrishHeart Veteran

oh goodie, dental work is always such a  joy. I spent 2 years and about $ 12K correcting what celiac had done to my once beautiful teeth.

grumble grumble (I am having a grumble day today, don't mind me.....just walking through the kitchen in my jammies here.....any ice cream around??? hand me that spoon, Addy. Thank yew.)

Meatza sounds good to me. I'd be a good cave woman, methinks.

Grok's woman make meatza!! 

love2travel Mentor

Mushroom Risotto (dried chanterelles, porcini, wood mushrooms that were reconstituted with Sherry) with mushroom powder (I also pulverized dried porcinis in my spice grinder to make it extra mushroom-y) PLUS used mushroom stock

Juniper, Bay and Vanilla Poached Shrimp over Beet Coulis (with lemon juice, horseradish, etc.), scattered with baby arugula and sprinkled with toasted pine nuts

Steamed broccoli

That's about it.  ^_^

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Mushroom Risotto (dried chanterelles, porcini, wood mushrooms that were reconstituted with Sherry) with mushroom powder (I also pulverized dried porcinis in my spice grinder to make it extra mushroom-y) PLUS used mushroom stock

Juniper, Bay and Vanilla Poached Shrimp over Beet Coulis (with lemon juice, horseradish, etc.), scattered with baby arugula and sprinkled with toasted pine nuts

Steamed broccoli

That's about it.  ^_^

See this is how the plot started -- we are all turning into cave peeps and L2T passes thru with unbelievable food that smells absolutely mouthwatering....that's it I'm hooking up the dogsled ;)

mushroom Proficient

See this is how the plot started -- we are all turning into cave peeps and L2T passes thru with unbelievable food that smells absolutely mouthwatering....that's it I'm hooking up the dogsled ;)

And after a few thousand miles you will be able to ditch the wheels and the cooler/chillie bin/Eski (that's Yankee, Kiwi and Aussie multilinguality for you :ph34r: )

Adalaide Mentor

You can chase her into that frozen tundra. Me? I'll stay put where we have more than one season and enjoy my never ending mac & cheese.

As for my dental work.... ugh. I do have a good plan though that I got hooked up with while I worked as a tax preparer a few seasons ago. No pre-authorizations. No crap. The dentist bills, they pay. With my limit, plus what we can afford out of pocket every year, plus an additional amount my health insurance covers, I think I hit about $4K last year. I'll probably hit about $10K before I am done, not counting the insurance premiums (just the dental) which will bump us up around the $13-14 mark. Why aren't dentists educated about celiac?!? Anyone could have looked in my mouth and said "DAMN!! You have a serious medical issue."

You are more than welcome to some of my chocolate ice cream. There is nothing in the world like getting into ice cream in the dark in jammies. It feels so bad, and so good. :D

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I'm up for Meatza :)

We were discussing this at home only yesterday. We were thinking what the best bases for pizza are, tortilla, french bread, and we remebered the time that we had decided to have pizza without checking what was in the house, and ended up using large lamb steaks as the base.

Definitely some caveman stuff going on here.

At least you guys aren't in the UK. We have reduced price dental care, but our teeth are awful!!

IrishHeart Veteran

MW

The American comedians often rag on the state of teeth in the UK, which I find unfunny.  

Do you think perhaps there is more widespread unDXed coeliac (see what I did there :)   ) by any chance? I mean, why would one population have such a hard time with their teeth? I'm just speculating here.

Interestingly enough, I read THIS article about celiac disease's toll on our teeth just yesterday.

http://allergicliving.com/index.php/2013/03/13/celiac-diseases-toll-on-your-teeth/

You know me, I like to read the current research. Do we think this is something perhaps the PEOPLE IN THE MEDICAL PROFESSION SHOULD BE DOING?? ARGH.  

Ok, calm down....it's waaaay too early to be shouting. Knock that off!!!!.....Breathe in/ breathe out/namaste.

ADDY

thanks for the offer of chocolate ice cream, but I CAN'T HAVE CHOCOLATE because of this stupid histamine intolerance that has occured because of my damaged celiac gut. ARGH

ohmygosh, I'm SHOUTING again. What is wrong with me? 

I think the past few days have spurred some ANGER inside me, so I think I'm just going to go to the gym and grunt on the treadmill and weight machines. Then, I'm off to the PT and the MT. My body should be very pleased with me by 5 PM :D

Dinner tonight will be whatever my friend Sherry Lynn has for soup special at her G F cafe. Mama don't cook on gym and PT day.

YO LOVE2  !!  

the daffodils are opening, hon! whoohooooo!! and you are the only one in this chat gang who can say "scattered with baby arugula and sprinkled with toasted pine nuts" and get away with it without sounding like a pretentious asshat.

You're so adorable and I hope that snow skeedaddles soon.. 

HAVE A GOOD DAY, EVERYONE!!!! (omygawd, you're doing it again.....no I'm not, those caps were for emphasis and enthusiasm, not shouting. Well, some might interpret it that way...geesh!.....)  and that's what it sounds like inside my head.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

OK, not got quoting yet, but working on it...

Unfunny maybe, but true!!

I think it is a money thing - for example I had braces on my teeth as a teenager, but they only did the top ones, and my bottom teeth are very crooked and cramped - from what I gather, the policy was only to do top teeth, mostly because of cost. You get what you pay for. We get dental work on the NHS (if you can find a dentist to do it...) and get charged in different bands, according to how much work we get done. Since this approach came in, I have noticed a lot less dental work being done than when we paid for each thing individually. Well, that's my theory anyway.

And I think because we all (well, lots) have bad teeth, we thnk it is normal. I am jealous of my American friends shiny straight teeth.

And CHILL IF YOU CAN :ph34r:

MW

The American comedians often rag on the state of teeth in the UK, which I find unfunny.  

Do you think perhaps there is more widespread unDXed coeliac (see what I did there :)   ) by any chance? I mean, why would one population have such a hard time with their teeth? I'm just speculating here.

Adalaide Mentor

I would be shouting too if I couldn't have chocolate. Or possibly crying in the car on the way home from the neurologist. I think that afternoon was worse than the celiac thing, because it was just more crap piled on, I am so glad that chocolate doesn't bother me or I'd possibly be in the loony bin by now.

alex11602 Collaborator

Tonight is double meat lasagna, salad and french bread. Possibly followed by Luigi's Italian ice.

Adalaide Mentor

I survived the dentist intact. I swear if it weren't for the gas I would probably have a panic attack when he sticks that needle in me. I don't know why they bother with that stupid crap on a stick to make it hurt less, doesn't do a thing to stop it from hurting so bad I could punch him in the face and not feel bad. Or maybe that is the gas talking. :lol:

I made my mac & cheese. I have some anaheim (I think? I don't know, they're green and long) peppers laying around so I cut one up and fried it up a little and added it. Now it is mildly spicy mac & cheese!

Cookingpapa Rookie

Steamed broccoli

That's about it.  ^_^

mmmmm

I might as well describe my food as a dog's dinner after this description!

kareng Grand Master

mmmmm

I might as well describe my food as a dog's dinner after this description!

I don't even try to compete! :). I feel some of us should represent the " real" people! So:

chili in the crockpot &/ chili Mac with corn pasta for those who like chili that way. This time it's lean hamburger with black beans & pinto beans.

Adalaide Mentor

I miss chili so much! That sounds amazing. I really hope to be able to have beans again eventually, I find that to be one of the most limiting things of my diet.

GottaSki Mentor

Great long-long day...wanted a few extra credit points to lock my grade so saw a film about water management -- cars were shuffled a bit incorrectly today so I walked home -- thankful I could at 530 in the evening, but asses were chewed a bit for no one fetching me before the second major hill between - here and there.  

Needless to say...didn't feel like cooking -- did throw the leftover pork from enchilada day in a pot with left over chicken breasts...hubby took over and made tacos for men and a big pot of asparagus for me.

They are still working on pineapple upside down a la mode and I am ready for bed.  Nightie-night all :)

Cookingpapa Rookie

I'm up for Meatza :)

We were discussing this at home only yesterday. We were thinking what the best bases for pizza are, tortilla, french bread, and we remebered the time that we had decided to have pizza without checking what was in the house, and ended up using large lamb steaks as the base.

Definitely some caveman stuff going on here.

At least you guys aren't in the UK. We have reduced price dental care, but our teeth are awful!!

Speakin of Pizza bases, have any of you tried cauliflower? I discovered it when I went on a low carb diet... it's riced cauliflower, egg and mozzarella cheese rolled into a ball first and then pressed flat and baked until crispy. Pizza sauce and toppings are added in the last few minutes of cooking.

It tastes good, is healthy and actually looks quite like a real pizza. My 4 yr old was suspicious though when he pick up a slice and it gave a little. :-)

GottaSki Mentor

I've used cauliflower -- for pizza crust -- to add some substance to my paleo apple bread and to make "rice" and most often cauli-fried rice!!!

A few years ago I bough cauliflower once in a blue moon -- now there are a couple heads in my basket each week - great stuff - just not a fan of it plain.

Adalaide Mentor

I have a beautiferous hunk of cow at home in the crock pot. I am hoping he comes out tender and juicy so I can eat him, as my mouth is so messed up that I may end up on a liquid or super soft foods diet for a few weeks. Flaming pissed doesn't begin to describe how I feel about my results from yesterday's appointment. When none of the pain was resolving by bedtime, and some was getting worse, I decided to actually look in my mouth. I have over half a dozen canker sores and a gorgeous 1/4 inch bruise from the abuse of the dentist yesterday.

I am really hoping to retain more in my diet than smoothies, ice cream and mac & cheese for the next two weeks.Lets face it though, this is me we are talking about. Other than whining about wanting meat, no one will hear me complain about too much mac & cheese until I stop pooping. :lol:

GF Lover Rising Star

Hubs made his Famous Cheeseburgers In Paradise for din din. 

They are famous because he is the official Grill Master at the family's annual 4th of July Party-Rama.  Dad was forced to give up the title when a burger flip went wrong, flames licking up the side of the guest house and water hoses were involved.  Needless to say, Dad is not allowed around the grill and not allowed to touch the smuggled in fireworks. 

They are in Paradise because me and hubs always eat them together :)

IrishHeart Veteran

They are in Paradise because me and hubs always eat them together :)

:wub:  aw, I feel the same way when my baby  makes burgers on da grill .

We had beans and greens soup and veggie rolls ups for dinner tonight and I am coming out of my sad coma.

I do not want to get into a "political" discussion at all, so please, no one start with me...but the President did a wonderful job today in Boston.

I am grateful.

Boston Strong.