This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

IrishHeart Veteran

if I don't sneak up there and eat the whole log of cheese in one sitting I will slip those pears into a grilled cheese with it. It would be like heaven.

if it matters, that's what I would do. ;)

(walnuts and vinegar are HH, and I knew that when I suggested things to you.... but if you did a tiny bit, you should be ok!). 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

w8in4dave Community Regular

Ok I have got to ask!! What is HH? High ?? .... Sorry newbie doesn't know :( 

Adalaide Mentor

HH is high histamine. There are a few of us who are cursed with a histamine intolerance. Probably not the sort of thing anyone knows who doesn't deal with it or who hasn't been around here enough to see it talked about some.

GottaSki Mentor

Ok I have got to ask!! What is HH? High ?? .... Sorry newbie doesn't know :(

High Histamine -- a few of us that went un-dx'd for a while discovered that Histamine containing and Histamine inducing foods are the cause of some of our lingering symptoms...you see the enzymes needed to regulate histamine in the body are created in the small intestine -- there is a real disorder called 'Histamine Intolerance' that nearly every country in the world acknowledges -- unforunately US doctors have no knowledge of it and neither UCSD or Mayo could run the tests necessary to diagnose it for me....crazy but was the last big piece of my personal medical mystery puzzle.

edited to add link to info sheet:

http://www.allergyuk.org/common-food-intolerances/histamine-intolerance

Edited by GottaSki

High Histamine -- a few of us that went un-dx'd for a while discovered that Histamine containing and Histamine inducing foods are the cause of some of our lingering symptoms...you see the enzymes needed to regulate histamine in the body are created in the small intestine -- there is a real disorder called 'Histamine Intolerance' that nearly every country in the world acknowledges -- unforunately US doctors have no knowledge of it and neither UCSD or Mayo could run the tests necessary to diagnose it for me....crazy but was the last big piece of my personal medical mystery puzzle.

I see!! Thank you!! I will have to monitor myself just to make sure!! Thanks so very much!! :)

Wow just looked that up!! Hmmmm that is something to look into !! I am always getting hives !! seems I am allergic to everything...Sorry this is the wrong thread for this .. Thanks for that info!!

GottaSki Mentor

I see!! Thank you!! I will have to monitor myself just to make sure!! Thanks so very much!! :)

Anytime!  Glad you asked...amazing that just over four years ago I had no real knowledge of the digestive system -- heck, I didn't even know what Celiac Disease was and had only heard the word gluten a few times in my life!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Wow just looked that up!! Hmmmm that is something to look into !! I am always getting hives !! seems I am allergic to everything...Sorry this is the wrong thread for this .. Thanks for that info!!

This thread is for chatting...we were chatting....

I skipped dinner last night as I ran into one of my mystery reactions -- but did do another round of easy baked beans that I let bake all day on very low and then hubs roasted the chickens I was intending to cook for the men / leftover chicken meat and bones to make bone broth for me.

Tonight -- hmmm -- better get something defrosting ;)

Happy Friday!

love2travel Mentor

for God's sake woman, I just drooled copiously on my laptop....oh my, that sounds fabulous.

rhubarb crisp....waaaa, i want that!!!  :D

No one says "oozing and unctuous" and gets away with it...except you. love it! xx

You, as always, are just too cute for words.  Wish I could reach out and pinch your cheeks!  :lol:

The HH thing intrigues me as well.  I've read links you've provided and cannot believe how many of the symptoms I have (had).  It just makes so much sense!

Tonight we are having the second half of the ribs...

Spicy Bourbon ribs with a Memphis rub I always make to have on hand and homemade delectable, ooey gooey and UNCTUOUS sauce

Roasted warm herbed potato salad with fried caper thingers

Raw cukes, carrots, fennel, jicama and broccoli with bagna cauda to which I am seriously addicted

Not sure what else.  I just might come up with something creative!  ^_^

love2travel Mentor

...and this is food related so you're ok.  :D

Adalaide Mentor

I've been working my butt off yesterday and today. The weeks before a ballet performance are crazy for the business and I get to be the one in charge of the programs. While I am fine with that and have masters to work from, gathering all the info has been... challenging to say the least. I'm going to have a long night ahead of me. I took the afternoon to run errands, in the heat and sun with my husband because apparently I'm a moron today. I did get into the garden store and find a pineapple mint to replace a tomato that gave up on me this week. Pretty excited to be able to go plant him after the sun goes down.

So dinner will be cheating. Burgers on the indoor grill, and probably deep fried fries. Simple and practically effortless.

IrishHeart Veteran

You, as always, are just too cute for words.  Wish I could reach out and pinch your cheeks!  :lol:

The HH thing intrigues me as well.  I've read links you've provided and cannot believe how many of the symptoms I have (had).  It just makes so much sense!

there is enough cheek to pinch...facial or gluteal LOL 

I am sure I sent you the HH info, because anytime someone I care about has chronic pain and inflammation,

I "go there" in  my head (as does My Ski Lisa)  but if not, you're getting it (again, probably) via email. :D

Dinner tonight:

Rustic pizza

while I pack a "to go" bag of clothes and food for our trip East for a wedding.

Have a great weekend, all  my peeps!! xx

So I took myself off of 2 Zyrtec a day, I started them again!!! Maby that darn HH thing is more my problem than anything!! Wow you guys rock!! 

For dinner today I ate a salad!! I had chicken, tomato , bacon and some really nice dark green lettuce!! Hubbs is being so great!! He toasted his bread and made BLT's :)

I found a lil store that has a bunch of Gluten free sauces, I did NOT buy any!! I have not bought any "gluten free" goodies as of yet!! I have been eating Organic meat and Organic veggies.. As Organic as I can anyway!! But this lil store had alot of Gluten free stuff!! It was a very nice store! 

Thanks for all the support!! I know we have to support each other! But you guys are wonderful!! I am so very glad I found you all!! 

GottaSki Mentor

I am so very glad I found you all!! 

We are very glad you found us too...the more the merrier in this thread :)

dinner last night was boneless country ribs with vegies -- and garlic pasta for the men -- served on my new -- very old pieces of crap laying around the house put together - bar height patio dinning table!  I love it...restained a large redwood round table top...put it on top of an old glass top small round that looked like s$#& -- added a few bricks between them to raise the height so I could use three pairs of mismatched bar stools we had floating around covered the base with reed fence material and covered the whole deal with two market umbrellas - one old that tilts and a new cheapo 9 footer above to provide shade from the late afternoon sun that causes me all kinds of trouble -- sure wish my house was on the opposite side of the street -- although we do get to see the fireworks show from SeaWorld during Summer nights -- so it does have that going for it -- which is nice.

tonight is steak -- some random steak from the freeze for the boys and I and a huge fresh Rib Eye for the hubs -- he turns 50 on Wednesday so I'm starting the spoiling early -- he has to work today so I have quadruple choc brownies in the oven to deliver to the jobsite for breaktime.

Happy Saturday Dinner Peeps -- Hope you all have a good day :)

Happy Birthday to your hubbs!! Yes tonight we will def cookout!! It is 75 out and sooo very nice!! Maby get my chiminia going too! I have a couple of steaks in the freezer I can get them out now and they should be good!! I also have some taters we can grill and some Shrooms and goodies!! Ok well off I go to take stuff out of the freeze!! :) 

notme Experienced

edited to add link to info sheet:

http://www.allergyuk.org/common-food-intolerances/histamine-intolerance

thanks, lisa - i was going to ask y'all for info on this anyway - oh, man, that's alot of things i like to eat :(  if you are sensitive to one, does that mean you're sensitive to all?  or eliminate them one at a time (and not eat any of the others?)  how would one proceed?

tonight - last night with my bestie - they are steak eaters, i could live without it (plus, gives me an excuse to make.......)

OYSTERS lolz and they can have their red meat

she and her daughter hate veggies, so i'll put spinach on my oysters :)

roasted red potatoes

and i will worry with the histamines tomorrow.  (monday, really lolz)  :D

GottaSki Mentor

thanks, lisa - i was going to ask y'all for info on this anyway - oh, man, that's alot of things i like to eat :(  if you are sensitive to one, does that mean you're sensitive to all?  or eliminate them one at a time (and not eat any of the others?)  how would one proceed?

tonight - last night with my bestie - they are steak eaters, i could live without it (plus, gives me an excuse to make.......)

OYSTERS lolz and they can have their red meat

she and her daughter hate veggies, so i'll put spinach on my oysters :)

roasted red potatoes

and i will worry with the histamines tomorrow.  (monday, really lolz)   :D

Good News is it is not like gluten -- you can have a little Histamine containing or inducing foods...the key is finding how much your body can handle -- mine can handle very little right now, but I am hopeful that I'll keep improving. 

I'd suggest anyone that has unresolved symptoms give this a try -- remove ALL histamine containing foods for about a week -- then try eating small amounts of different removed foods every couple of days and keep a log. 

Example...I can have a glass sometimes two of red wine...but if I overdo it I pay for it the next day...sometimes the same day.

I can do some cheese, but not too much

I can eat oysters and shrimp....but sing it with me....not too much

you get the drift...feel free to ask more questions -- my happiest day was Thanksgiving this past year when I figured the histamine connection to my exercise issue -- then removed all high histamine foods -- then kept getting better :D

I'm already planning for my next happiest day and that will be when my gut finally starts making the enzymes necessary to process histamine -- should that day come -- Party at my house and you are all invited!!!

Adalaide Mentor

I was very strict with the histamine diet for a few weeks, I saw improvement right away and continue to as time goes on but could only take the strict elimination for so long. I enjoy all sorts of things in moderation with no ill effect, and sometimes with terrible effects and know that that particular item is a no-go for me.

Tonight for the first time I tried a Dave's pasta sauce. (I finally caved when it was on sale for $5 a jar, I obviously won't be enjoying this often!) No wonky ingredients and there is a butternut squash sauce. Sure, it has tomatoes but only some. I'm happy to say that it is absolutely delicious and I do not at all regret spending the money on the jar.

I'd like to make my own enzymes too! Stupid useless intestine. <_< I think your party should be in the summer so we can enjoy the pool. :D

love2travel Mentor

Baked ham with wet jerk rub

Herbed scalloped potatoes

Homemade creamed corn

Watermelon, blueberry, feta, pepita and fresh mint salad

notme Experienced

reeeealllly.....  do tell!  

do you just use a fresh ham?  how did you cook it?  roast?  i wonder how that would be smoked.....    hmmmmm......

GottaSki Mentor

reeeealllly.....  do tell!  

do you just use a fresh ham?  how did you cook it?  roast?  i wonder how that would be smoked.....    hmmmmm......

inquiring minds want to know :)

BBQ Chicken

Colorful Salad

Rosemary Potatoes -- NotMe inspired me to clip some Rosemary so my kitchen will be Rosemary infused too  :wub:

Oh...left over Quad Choc Brownies -- with left over peppermint buttercream frosting --  umm ya...I hid both these things very well in the frig and the storage side of my oven ;)

Adalaide Mentor

Herbed scalloped potatoes

Homemade creamed corn

Watermelon, blueberry, feta, pepita and fresh mint salad

You made me want creamed corn which to my surprise is amazingly easy to make.

So, to go with my roasted chicken tonight was creamed corn, mashed taters and gravy. I think I may get into the freezer for some ice cream later for dessert, cooking while an oven is roasting away at 500 means that you get roasted chicken and roasted people. :lol:

GottaSki Mentor

Started to post...and darn it the fireworks went off.....I missed the last few displays....we are all spoiled...hubs and kids are like..."um...seen it"....I don't care how many times I see it...fireworks are awesome.

So tonight was BBQ Chicken, etc.

Tomorrow will be Shrimp with pasta.....YES...I am doing okay with rice or corn pasta....zippity do dah.....also got a lead from a friend that the asian market has sweet potato pasta...gotta check that out in the next couple of days too.

Everyone have a great week....we all deserve one :)

ps...no I haven't watched the race....but I think I saw a FB post that Jimmy did ok.  more later.

Adalaide Mentor

OMG it never occurred to me to tell you about sweet potato pasta. Our local Asian market has it. We actually have more than an entire aisle that is all noodles, which is incredibly awesome.

I'm also with you on the fireworks. When I dragged my husband down to the fire & ice festival in the freezing weather in February it wasn't for any of the other fun stuff, it was for the fireworks. I am still like a kid the way I get excited. :D

IrishHeart Veteran

.......If you do not like fireworks, why, yer just a crazy person!! Fireworks are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

congrat.gif

Hellooooooo dinner peeps!

Had a fabulous time at the wedding. Legs still work after dancing my face off for hours. whoohoo!

hmm...maybe I should post this in the thread about "paranoid to go to a wedding"--maybe later---

but I my cousin made sure we GeeFReers had apps (shrimp cocktail, crudities, cheese platter) but I just had a cocktail.

So cool to see my fun cousins I had not seen in 5 years. They were glad to see--as some of them dryly noted-- I was not dead.  :lol: ....sarcasm runs in the family...

Special soup for us was roasted garlic, chickpea and veggies ("the others" had a not-so-great clam chowdah, they told me)

Dinner was salad, no croutons--( and I love you, cousin JoAnn for telling them not to bother with those!)

A filet mignon done to perfection (no gravy for us) roasted potatoes and summer squashes.

They all had cake and ice cream, but I brought the GFers giant homemade cookies. ("the others" wanted to know... hey.... Where did THOSE come from?? sorry, dude...just eat yer cake!)

Got back to the hotel at 1:30 AM.

Life is good.  ;)