Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat
3 3

9,867 posts in this topic

I did considerably better tonight...guess it helps to read this thread at 7 a.m. I made a clean-out-the-fridge stir-fry (marinated chicken breast strips, celery, onion, mushrooms and broccoli in a sauce of San-J Tamari, ginger, garlic, cornstarch and sesame oil) and rice.

Will have pineapple a bit later.

Your dinner was a lot healthier than mine! I panicked at the last minute and made some Tinkyada pasta and marinara sauce. Probably could have made a salad to go with it but all I really wanted was the warm pasta.

Ads by Google:

Your dinner was a lot healthier than mine! I panicked at the last minute and made some Tinkyada pasta and marinara sauce. Probably could have made a salad to go with it but all I really wanted was the warm pasta.

Sounds yummy...and I'm hungry for pasta. Here I am once again reading this early in the morning. I'm going to take that package of Italian sausage out of the freezer and make spaghetti sauce for tonight. See, I really do need to read this thread early. :D

What a fun thread!

Last night I made baked chicken and rice with green beans for dessert I had homemade vanilla ice cream with sliced strawberries. Tonight I am making taco salads.

Sylvia, which brand of italian sausage do you buy?

What a fun thread!

Last night I made baked chicken and rice with green beans for dessert I had homemade vanilla ice cream with sliced strawberries. Tonight I am making taco salads.

Sylvia, which brand of italian sausage do you buy?

Your dinner sounds wonderful!

I bought Johnsonville Italian Sausage with Sweet Basil, which will be added to a Classico pasta sauce (doctored up with more herbs, etc and put in a crockpot to simmer all day).

Tonight we're having Ahi Tuna Steaks and Baked Sweet Potatoes ("baked" in the slow cooker) and probably something green, Steamed Brocoli? Green beans and almonds? Spinach? I'll decide that at the last minute as usual. :D

Tonight is breakfast for dinner night. So I'll make a fritatta with potatoes, mushrooms, peppers and Jarlsburg cheese, a couple pounds of bacon and some gluten free pancakes.

Tonight is breakfast for dinner night. So I'll make a fritatta with potatoes, mushrooms, peppers and Jarlsburg cheese, a couple pounds of bacon and some gluten free pancakes.

Yummy! Breakfast for dinner is one of my favorites for a quick emergency meal.

Yummy! Breakfast for dinner is one of my favorites for a quick emergency meal.

Sadly nothing is quick for 7 people. Breakfast for dinner seems to actually take longer than most because it takes forever to cook that many pancakes. 2 pounds of bacon, 21 pancakes, 18 eggs, 1/2 a pound of cheese, 1/2 a pound of mushrooms, 3 large potatoes and 2 peppers. Add in a liter of milk and 2 liters of juice as well.

At least there should be enough leftovers for a couple people to have lunch the next day.

Sadly nothing is quick for 7 people. Breakfast for dinner seems to actually take longer than most because it takes forever to cook that many pancakes. 2 pounds of bacon, 21 pancakes, 18 eggs, 1/2 a pound of cheese, 1/2 a pound of mushrooms, 3 large potatoes and 2 peppers. Add in a liter of milk and 2 liters of juice as well.

At least there should be enough leftovers for a couple people to have lunch the next day.

Throw everything except the pancakes, juice, and most of the milk in the crock pot the night before and do a slow cooked breakfast casserole. Maybe precook the bacon, but you could bake it and chop it up.

Dang, that would be difficult! I guess it's my emergency meal since I live alone. I like Jestgar's idea of using a crockpot. Or even to bake it in a large casserole...anything to make it easier for you.

Hopefully one of those people to have leftovers for lunch the next day is YOU! :)

Throw everything except the pancakes, juice, and most of the milk in the crock pot the night before and do a slow cooked breakfast casserole. Maybe precook the bacon, but you could bake it and chop it up.

Yum! I've done breakfast in the crockpot several times with great success. I think I will make an overnight breakfast casserole this weekend.

I also wanted to mention you can supposedly make "pancakes" in the slow cooker too: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/05/crockpot-pancakes-recipe.html

These don't really look like panckase though but I bet they would feed a hungry bunch just fine. I have not tried it, but I have tried the Trader Joes gluten-free pancake mix and I really like it.

Here's some other good breakfast casseroles:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2009/03/crockpot-mexican-breakfast-casserole.html

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/08/crockpot-hash-brown-breakfast-casserole.html

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/03/overnight-breakfast-potatoes-with.html

Your dinner sounds wonderful!

I bought Johnsonville Italian Sausage with Sweet Basil, which will be added to a Classico pasta sauce (doctored up with more herbs, etc and put in a crockpot to simmer all day).

This sounds delish! I was not aware that Johnsonville sausages were gluten free. I have never tried the Classico sauces. I usually make my own sauce BUT, that would be great to have on hand when I don't feel like making it. It takes a long time to do. Do you eat this over gluten free pasta? I wonder what it would taste like over white rice. I live in the middle of nowhere and the closest place to get gluten free pasta is 90 miles (round trip)

I love crockpot meals! Anyone have any good recipes?

a couple pounds of bacon

Aw! My kinda girl!

How old are your kids? I cook for seven too (when I cook, that is). I usually figure 2 lbs of meat, at least a dozen eggs and a loaf a bread for toast (of course that was before going gluten free).

I was recently diagnosed and I am having the most difficult time trying to figure out what to cook for everyone (with just me doing gluten free).

This sounds delish! I was not aware that Johnsonville sausages were gluten free. I have never tried the Classico sauces. I usually make my own sauce BUT, that would be great to have on hand when I don't feel like making it. It takes a long time to do. Do you eat this over gluten free pasta? I wonder what it would taste like over white rice. I live in the middle of nowhere and the closest place to get gluten free pasta is 90 miles (round trip)

Yes, Johnsonville sausages are gluten-free...but I check the label every time I buy them. Who knows if there might be some that aren't. I'm too lazy to make my own sauce but I always end up doctoring them up. I do have it over gluten-free pasta but see no reason rice wouldn't work. Tonight I used Mrs. Leeper's spaghetti (brown rice) for the first time but think I prefer Tinkyada. Do you have a Wal-Mart near you? I've gotten Heartland gluten-free pasta there.

I was recently diagnosed and I am having the most difficult time trying to figure out what to cook for everyone (with just me doing gluten free).

Why don't you try to do a lot of naturally gluten-free meals? I'm eating a lot of the same things I ate before going gluten-free...meat or fish, potatoes or rice, veggies, salads. My chili has always been gluten-free, pork and sauerkraut with mashed potatoes, soups, etc.. You might want to read through this entire thread and look at some of the recipes posted, too. I get in a rut and get lots of ideas that are posted here. I think I need to get on here early every morning so I don't postpone trying to figure out what to have for dinner at zero hour. :P

I need something "bad" for dinner. That two pounds of bacon is sounding pretty good. :ph34r::P

Dinner tonight was grilled marinated Tilapia with mango salsa & black and small red beans (that's what the bag said) over leftover rice.

I didn't have the foresight to pre-soak the beans, but they took less than 1/2 hour to cook in the pressure cooker.

Because I forgot to pack the chicken for lunch yesterday, I took it today. OMG! Cold grilled chicken tandori over greens is even better than hot! It was yummy with a squirt of lime and some EVO sprinkled over it. It may become my go to summer dinner salad. :D

Wild and brown rice with dilled smoked salmon wrapped in steamed cabbage leaves

Herbed lemon mustard

Bean pickles

Caramel rice cakes (turns out I like rice cakes if they have enough honey on them...)

Dried apricots soaked in pineapple juice

I need something "bad" for dinner. That two pounds of bacon is sounding pretty good. :ph34r::P

LIKE!!!!! :D

does anyone have a good chicken soup recipie? I was thinking of boiling a chicken dicing it up tossing that back in the broth (making a big batch to freeze), and adding some rice. Any other ideas for it?

I just start off with leeks, carrot, celery sauteed in some oil with seasoning - then you can cook the chicken in the water you add so that it gets extra flavour. You could try gluten free noodles instead of rice (either elbow or break up some spaghetti), or you can add other veggies like swiss chard or green beans.

You have to share it with 6 other people though. 3 of them have to be teenagers and one of them has to be a man who just got home from a 2 hour workout. I think I got 3 pieces. :blink:

does anyone have a good chicken soup recipie? I was thinking of boiling a chicken dicing it up tossing that back in the broth (making a big batch to freeze), and adding some rice. Any other ideas for it?

I make this soup with a whole chicken all the time:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/11/crockpot-turkey-and-wild-rice-soup.html

I've always meant to freeze it but there is never enough left over. My husband and I finish it off in two-three days.

Tonight I am making a frittata with eggs, cheese, mushrooms, green pepper and ham with Mr Dell's hash browns and sliced pears.