This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

GottaSki Mentor

We had Experimental Dinner. Rules of Exp. Dinner:

I make some recipes I have been wanting to try. They may have nothing to do with each other and make a strange meal. If you don't like it you don't have to eat it but you have to try everything. Constructive comments are encouraged.

Tonight's was a success! Everyone liked everything just the way it was. The ony suggestion was to use the chicken marinade on a pork chop.

We had:

Baked cheese & broccoli patties

Tasty Trashy Taters ( tater tot, cheddar, hot sauce, rolled in a piece of bacon, coated in brown sugar & baked)

Clinton Kelly's supreme pizza dippers using the new Pillsbury pizza dough

Daphne Oz's sweet and spicy wings

Michael Simons chocolate Carmel peanut bars

Ski Lisa recipe for Lemonies ( made extra glaze, poked holes in the " cake" and then poured it on. We LOVE lemon))

4 of these recipes came from the TV show The Chew! I have had great luck with them.

This sounds like a blast...how fun would it be to potluck with this thread!!!

We had Lemonies tonight with vanilla ice cream...anyway you slice them...lemonies are firmly planted in the rotation :)

Hey....just notice my response of gratitude to L2T isn't there....freaking kindle is all i have next to the pool and sadly...between this sad little machine and me being drippy...things run a muck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

GottaSki Mentor

Of course! 

2/3 cup plum preserves

2 T hoisin sauce

2 T dry Sherry

1 T soy sauce

1 T peeled and grated fresh ginger  (do NOT use powdered!!)

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro (good without, too)

1/2 t crushed dried red chile

Combine all in blender, processor or glass jar.  Process til smooth. 

That's it!  As simple as it gets.  :)

You are my Queen....I bow to you....while I run off with all your great recipes ;)

Can't wait...going to do this according to spec for the fam and a small portion with the things I can eat...byb...I never used jarred ginger...fresh is best baby!!!!

Thanks again.

GottaSki Mentor

Hi Dee Ho...not talking food....but one of my childhood pals...celiac from the get go although i didn't know as things weren't talked about just posted this fun beer pic....he hasn't tried either...but love the name!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/998339_10200233977116244_1518821081_n.webp

GottaSki Mentor

Last night we had the steak....and saved the beautiful huge shrimp I purchased for tonight....someone posted a really easy way to do shrimp which involves a stick of butter -- sounds great -- that is what is for dinner with pasta of some sort and brussel sprouts -- kinda similar to Addie's -- except with BACON :)

kareng Grand Master

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/Chocolate-Caramel-Peanut-Bars-Popcorn-Gelato-Michael-Symon

I made the candy bar part of these last night!  They are soooo good! And easy to make.

Not sure about popcorn gelato tho.  :wacko: 

notme Experienced

I scrapped the corn idea when I got to the kitchen. I remembered I have brussel sprouts in the fridge. Fresh and beautiful and just dying to be eaten. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with them so I started poking around in there and remembered I have an eensy bit of loose sausage from the other day. I fried about a tablespoon of that, threw in some olive oil and put in my sprouts, cut in half. And just left them. When they were all golden I tossed some diced onion on them and enough salt to choke a camel, threw a lid on and turned them off but left them on the burner til dinner was ready.

I swear... omg... they are the best thing I ever cooked in my life. I almost died of happiness eating them. And they took like seriously 20 minutes to make if I count the time I was deciding what to do with them!

i make them with prosciutto, shallots and a little bit of balsamic vinegar - sometimes we go *crazy* and add a little dijon - depends on what else we're making - mmmmm!  mmmmmmmm!  loves me some sprouts :)  i used to just cook them whole (boil the crap out of them lolz) because my mother didn't like them so she never made them.  my ex-m.i.l. served them to me once and i was like WHAT are THESE ??  

i have ever sliced them and quick-fried them in butter s&p and they are yummz that way too.  i have seen them in salads, shredded, as well.  i bet a good dijon vinegarette and bacon bits, viola, side salad.  now i need brussel sprouts........   <_<

We had Experimental Dinner. Rules of Exp. Dinner:

I make some recipes I have been wanting to try. They may have nothing to do with each other and make a strange meal. If you don't like it you don't have to eat it but you have to try everything. Constructive comments are encouraged.

Tonight's was a success! Everyone liked everything just the way it was. The ony suggestion was to use the chicken marinade on a pork chop.

We had:

Baked cheese & broccoli patties

Tasty Trashy Taters ( tater tot, cheddar, hot sauce, rolled in a piece of bacon, coated in brown sugar & baked)

Clinton Kelly's supreme pizza dippers using the new Pillsbury pizza dough

Daphne Oz's sweet and spicy wings

Michael Simons chocolate Carmel peanut bars

Ski Lisa recipe for Lemonies ( made extra glaze, poked holes in the " cake" and then poured it on. We LOVE lemon))

4 of these recipes came from the TV show The Chew! I have had great luck with them.

stooooooop it......  did you shred the cheddar for the tots or slices of cheese - doooo telllll !!   :)   and how was the pillsbury dough is it in stores already????  i never check, as it is still just a mythical item lolz  :lol:   plus, i live in e.tn, where everything gets here 'eventually' - we always say:  if the world ends, we'll be good for another 2 years.  that's how long it'll take to get here!

Adalaide Mentor

Last night we had the steak....and saved the beautiful huge shrimp I purchased for tonight....someone posted a really easy way to do shrimp which involves a stick of butter -- sounds great -- that is what is for dinner with pasta of some sort and brussel sprouts -- kinda similar to Addie's -- except with BACON :)

I'm not allowed to have bacon in the house. Because I apparently have about as much self control as a toddler would if a cookie jar tipped over in front of them. I wanted to make them with bacon but figured that sausage would have to be a suitable substitute and just cooked it until it was itsy bitsy crispy crumbles. HAH! I showed it!

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/Chocolate-Caramel-Peanut-Bars-Popcorn-Gelato-Michael-Symon

I made the candy bar part of these last night!  They are soooo good! And easy to make.

Not sure about popcorn gelato tho.  :wacko: 

I would totally make popcorn gelato. It sounds interesting and I'm up for just about anything once. I had other people doing too much in the kitchen yesterday to have enough space or feel comfortable, I have it all to myself today though so I'm getting to my chocolate chip mint today. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

i make them with prosciutto, shallots and a little bit of balsamic vinegar - sometimes we go *crazy* and add a little dijon - depends on what else we're making - mmmmm!  mmmmmmmm!  loves me some sprouts :)  i used to just cook them whole (boil the crap out of them lolz) because my mother didn't like them so she never made them.  my ex-m.i.l. served them to me once and i was like WHAT are THESE ??  

i have ever sliced them and quick-fried them in butter s&p and they are yummz that way too.  i have seen them in salads, shredded, as well.  i bet a good dijon vinegarette and bacon bits, viola, side salad.  now i need brussel sprouts........   <_<

stooooooop it......  did you shred the cheddar for the tots or slices of cheese - doooo telllll !!   :)   and how was the pillsbury dough is it in stores already????  i never check, as it is still just a mythical item lolz  :lol:   plus, i live in e.tn, where everything gets here 'eventually' - we always say:  if the world ends, we'll be good for another 2 years.  that's how long it'll take to get here!

Little tiny chunks of cheese.  I put my comments on the bacon thread with the "recipe"

the Pillsbury dough was just in the regular grocery with all the other refrigerated Pillsbury doughs.  I would have missed it but I was thinking about getting the boys a can of rolls.  The pizza dough is mainly tapioca so its chewy.  Worked well for the little balls.  All the additives make it easy to roll out and not sticky.  My older son suggested that they might make a nice donut type thing. Maybe apple pie filling cut small and cinnamon sugar on the outside.  Or cook the little balls with sugar on the outside and then "inject" jam or icing.

It has a very short expiration date. So use it quickly.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/101839-bacon-recipes/page-3#entry877582

Edited by kareng
notme Experienced

the tapioca-y-ness of the chebe pizza crust is why i didn't like it so i hope the pillsbury is not so much.  (filled with jam - yum - i love it that y'all play with your food, too :D  )

i was trying to stay off the bacon thread......  because i didn't want to o.d. - oh, well, at least i'll die with a big greasy smile on my face!!  ;)

kareng Grand Master

the tapioca-y-ness of the chebe pizza crust is why i didn't like it so i hope the pillsbury is not so much.  (filled with jam - yum - i love it that y'all play with your food, too :D  )

i was trying to stay off the bacon thread......  because i didn't want to o.d. - oh, well, at least i'll die with a big greasy smile on my face!!  ;)

The pie crust doesn't have tapioca. I am going to try it for something, probably not pie.

notme Experienced

oh, i'm dying to try it, just because it comes ready-made.  even if it sucks, i gotta try it at least once.  because it's there.....  :)

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Chicken and asparagus. Mmm. Some things are classic combos for a reason :)

Adalaide Mentor

Apparently I have given myself a very serious problem. I am now addicted to brussel sprouts, they're for dinner again. I threw together some scalloped taters. My husband wants his bratz which I can't possibly eat so I'll just have a burger.

w8in4dave Community Regular

We had Tacos :) Oooopsi I for got about the seasoning and I ate it.. My tummy is bloated , I supposed tomorrow I will suffer huh? I am just not used to watching every label!! I hope it starts getting easier!! 

kareng Grand Master

We had Tacos :) Oooopsi I for got about the seasoning and I ate it.. My tummy is bloated , I supposed tomorrow I will suffer huh? I am just not used to watching every label!! I hope it starts getting easier!!

There could be flour in chili or taco seasoning. A few of them have flour and its labelled in the inbredients. i like Williams brand.
GottaSki Mentor

We had the humongous shrimp and couldn't help adding bacon wrapped cheddar tots to the menu as somehow tater tots landed in my grocery cart this morning -- they ROCK -- everyone loved them -- thanks Karen :)

There could be flour in chili or taco seasoning. A few of them have flour and its labelled in the inbredients. i like Williams brand.

I didn't read the label!! It was some off brand.... I assume it was that! Not sure where eles it came from. I will have to remember everything I ate today. Just amazing how stuff effects me so fast!! 

kareng Grand Master

We had the humongous shrimp and couldn't help adding bacon wrapped cheddar tots to the menu as somehow tater tots landed in my grocery cart this morning -- they ROCK -- everyone loved them -- thanks Karen :)

Do they count as a vegetable?

GottaSki Mentor

Do they count as a vegetable?

Nope...they count as dessert ;)

We had carrots, zucchini and onion saute with our shrimp and tots.

oh and corn on the cob -- was kinda a jumble for everyone -- not sure how that happened.

GottaSki Mentor

I didn't read the label!! It was some off brand.... I assume it was that! Not sure where eles it came from. I will have to remember everything I ate today. Just amazing how stuff effects me so fast!! 

As time gluten-free increases...this can happen - sucks but does reinforce the need to become a really good label reader.

Adalaide Mentor

Needed to go to Home Depot to pick up some things. Got up super early to avoid the heat. Got home at 9:30 and it is already 80. There isn't really anything the low humidity can do for us with these temps, it is just too damn hot! Since this is an outdoor project that involves painting something, I suppose it'll have to wait until about sunset so I can go out and not melt.

I think we may have chicken for supper. Maybe... idk, its too hot to think. Maybe we'll just eat my ice cream we're freezing today. :D

As time gluten-free increases...this can happen - sucks but does reinforce the need to become a really good label reader.

Yes!! It sure reinforced this label reader! Lol effects were not good , but I lived thru it!! :) 

GottaSki Mentor

Yes!! It sure reinforced this label reader! Lol effects were not good , but I lived thru it!! :)

Glad to hear you are feeling better!

Dinner tonight is seared Ahi -- or maybe grilled Salmon -- one will be lunch the other dinner

Tonight!! :) Spaghetti!! I will find a gluten free sauce! :) probably pay way to much!! I usually make my own but Know I don't have any left pfftt!! So I will pay the price! I bought some gluten free noodles the other day :) We will see!! I will cook hubbs some regular noodles :) Have a great day everyone! :) 

Adalaide Mentor

In my experience most spaghetti sauces are gluten free. I always bought Classico because it doesn't taste like chemical crap. If you want to try something "exotic" Dave's has a nice butternut sauce, but it is rather expensive.

ETA: I shouldn't have conversations while typing. I type what I mean to say and say what I mean to type.