This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

kareng Grand Master

I ended up making a cauliflower gratin with my purple cauliflower last night instead of onion rings. Tonight will be the rest of that with the rest of the meatloaf and more corn. I always knew I missed having silver corn, but didn't realize just how much until I had it again last night. Its something you can't just go pick up at the store or market, so you grow it yourself or you don't have any. We grew mostly silver queen and butter & sugar on the farm, and I've always kind of resented having to buy yellow corn because it just plain old isn't as good.

I grew up in Kansas City. Lovely sweet corn. Got married and moved to the Washington, DC area. They ate feed corn! I swear! It wasn't sweet corn!

We have fabulous corn here, even in the groceries.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

Adalaide Mentor

There isn't anything necessarily wrong with the corn in stores here. It is sweet corn and I buy it and eat it when we don't have any of our own to eat. It just isn't what I prefer and grew up eating, and frankly "plain" yellow corn isn't nearly half as good as a silver variety or butter & sugar corn, which are also just both varieties of sweet corn. Of course, that is just my spoiled rotten, grew up on a farm with more options than yellow corn opinion.

We've been terrible people this summer, not really eating a whole lot of salads like we usually do. Tonight we'll have salads with some baked chicken and something else vegetabley... maybe a baked potato since the oven will be on anyway. (Don't nobody start the potatoes aren't really a vegetable thing, my husband will actually eat them so they count. <_<)

kareng Grand Master

You might think I'm crazy but we are having chili tonight!  It cooks in the crockpot so it doesn't heat up the house.  Then we make some corn pasta to put it on or make it into a taco salad.

Adalaide Mentor

You might think I'm crazy but we are having chili tonight!  It cooks in the crockpot so it doesn't heat up the house.  Then we make some corn pasta to put it on or make it into a taco salad.

That isn't crazy at all. I love easy, don't overheat the house, crockpot dinners in the summer.

come dance with me Enthusiast

Tonight we're having stir-fry, tomorrow a curry, Friday night is pizza on pumpkin base.

IrishHeart Veteran

I think you're crazy, sweets,(in the oh-so-cool way)  but not for THIS!  :lol:

Crockpots--thanks to you--are my new "go-to" thinger when I do not want to heat up the house or when I am too busy to stand there and watch food. Chili over rice with a corn muffin...YUM.

That's not what I made, though. Not tonight.

I got corn --the one we call "butter and sugar"--from  Calhoun's farm stand (near me here in NY)

and honestly, it is just the best corn I ever had. We wait for it every summer.

Plain yellow corn--they call it  "cattle feed " here--blech.

and I made a meatloaf--yes, it is cool enough to run the oven (weirdo weather)

and J requested one of the versions of potato salad I make with hard boiled eggs and dill. (he loves it)

And he thinks potatoes are a veggie, Addy!! :D

Adalaide Mentor

And he thinks potatoes are a veggie, Addy!! :D

Maybe its a guy thing? I've tried explaining to my husband that I grew up with dinner being meat, potato, vegetable. He keeps trying to tell me every time that potatoes are a vegetable. I'm like whatever... they're not that kind of vegetable. He harasses me on purpose to see how long it will take me to realize that he is just doing it to amuse himself. After 5 years I'm starting to catch on. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Maybe its a guy thing? 

In my guy's case...it's an Irish thing. :lol:

hbunting86 Newbie

Tonight: gluten free smoked salmon and dill soufflee with a side of blanched asparagus :)

notme Experienced

Tonight: gluten free smoked salmon and dill soufflee with a side of blanched asparagus :)

that sounds delicious!  smoked salmon and dill souffle - what else is in it?  would you share the recipe pretty please!

notme Experienced

Plain yellow corn--they call it  "cattle feed " here--blech.

that's what we had last night!  cattle feed   <_<  ugh - we grew up in northern nj and we are used to the silver queen, too :)  yummmz !  they have good 'butter & sugar" here, but you hafta *catch* it or know a good farm stand.  last night's corn just stayed at a holiday inn.....

and we had burgers, pot cheese, half sour pickles and the above named corn poser  :(

i have pork marinating for chinese pork - sesame onion pancakes, ginger dipping sauce and i has brussels sprouts  :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Corn poser (snort) :lol:

corn wannabe

cornimitator

"con corn"

Brussels sprouts-dang, those are tasty lil things, aren't they?

Looks like bison stuffed peppers tonight.

Adalaide Mentor

Last iron infusion day. YAY! Feeling like hell, but have absolutely can not be put off things to do this afternoon so while I'm out anyway I'm picking up a Costco chicken. (I was going to Costco anyway cause their sale on San Pellegrino starts today, my husband just keeps rolling his eyes at me and my water preferences.) We'll grab some corn out of the yard to have with it and maybe stop at a farm stand or something and pick up a melon too.

I talked to the garden center I like to shop at and they actually have bi-color corn. So, if I want good corn after we exhaust our little backyard plot I just have to drive to the other side of town for it. Super bonus, they do the whole organic thing there so I don't have to worry about anything worse than the occasional worm. :D

notme Experienced

. Super bonus, they do the whole organic thing there so I don't have to worry about anything worse than the occasional worm. :D

worms are gluten free!  :D

glad you are done with your infusions, addy :)  i just went to the doc yesterday - the girl called today and said my blood is super incredibly good - i am so dang happy :):):)  

she said she never saw 'good' cholesterol as high as mine (91!)  

Adalaide Mentor

Last night we had breakfast for supper. Pancakes, eggs and bacon. My husband love love loves my pancakes and keeps requesting them. Last time I made them there were two left and when I went and had them later that night as a snack he whined about it a little that there were none left for him. This time I made sure there were enough left to feed him breakfast so there would be no whining. :lol:

Today he forgot to take one of his insulins with him to work, so I had to drive it up to him. Have I ever mentioned that I don't have air conditioning? The heat and I did not make fast friends on the drive so dinner will be frozen burgers and fresh corn. If I can find any extra ambition there will be onion rings. There is some greek yogurt in the fridge and we have fresh strawberries and blueberries so that will make dessert, strawberries for him and blueberries for me, probably with honey drizzled on it because... why not?

love2travel Mentor

Homemade pasta with poached shrimp in white wine garlic sauce

Steamed green beans from the garden

Homemade bread with raspberry jam I made a few days ago

Adalaide Mentor

My husband texted me before I headed out to cut corn. He went to Del Taco for lunch and got the brilliant idea to make his chicken/cheddar/bacon/ranch sandwiches into quesadillas. So I told him to bring home some tortillas since we were out and I would massacre the rest of that Costco chicken and find us some bacon. They were really good, even if I shouldn't be eating cheddar or bacon. :ph34r: (He has this habit of telling me to make dinner plans, then waiting until I make them to come up with his own ideas. <_<)

Tomorrow is the burgers and corn and onion rings. I may even be feeling spunky enough by tomorrow evening to make arepas for the burgers.

love2travel Mentor

Sunday Roast - very simple and ordinary but good!

Roast beef

Yorkshire pudding

Mashed potatoes and gravy

Baby beets and green beans from the garden

Fresh raspberries

IrishHeart Veteran

Sunday Roast - very simple and ordinary but good!

Roast beef

Yorkshire pudding

Mashed potatoes and gravy

Baby beets and green beans from the garden

Fresh raspberries

Oh, lovey.....that sounds so wonderful. I would love every bite of that dinner---right now. :)

alas, we are not having that tonight.

Looks like a mixed grille ----lamb for me and sausages for the hubs (he does not like lamb very much) 

Baby potatoes or risotto, depending on how much work I can accomplish today. Packing some things/mowing, etc.

Lots of tomatoes and basil around here. Maybe a Greek salad or caprese? we'll see how much enthusiasm I have come 5 ish. lol

Cherries for dessert. I ate too many brownies with macadamias  this weekend.... :ph34r:  really, I have absolutely zero self-control around goodies. zip nada zilch

Adalaide Mentor

Oh, lovey.....that sounds so wonderful. I would love every bite of that dinner---right now. :)

alas, we are not having that tonight.

Looks like a mixed grille ----lamb for me and sausages for the hubs (he does not like lamb very much) 

Baby potatoes or risotto, depending on how much work I can accomplish today. Packing some things/mowing, etc.

Lots of tomatoes and basil around here. Maybe a Greek salad or caprese? we'll see how much enthusiasm I have come 5 ish. lol

Cherries for dessert. I ate too many brownies with macadamias  this weekend.... :ph34r:  really, I have absolutely zero self-control around goodies. zip nada zilch

I've been thinking about making brownies. I should get to that. I'm thinking stuffed peppers, which I know my husband will not eat. Definitely some corn. And idk what else for him, maybe a chicken breast or something I can just bake since the oven will be on anyway. I shoulda just planned on coming to somebody's house for dinner. Everybody else is making something yummy.

notme Experienced

I shoulda just planned on coming to somebody's house for dinner. Everybody else is making something yummy.

I KNOW IT!  i have popped on here to post something (boring) and then shamed into staying silent lolz

sunday we made bambi stew (oooh - good marinade for venison or beef - worcestershire*, beer**, garlic powder & onion powder.  we let it marinate for a day or so) in the crockpot.  with green beans from the Jungle Garden Rain Forest, mushrooms, onions, tomato sauce.  served over mashed potatoes.  man-friendly meal  :P

crockpot was already crockin' and we went grocery shopping.  when we got back, the house smelled so delicious and for a minute i tricked my mind into thinking somebody else cooked dinner for me :)  crockpots are awesome!

(*lea & perrins is gluten free in the us)

(**redbridge)

love2travel Mentor

1.5" thick grilled ribeye with smoked Maldon salt

New herbed potatoes

Fresh steamed green beans

Thick slice of homemade bread with homemade raspberry jam

notme Experienced

Thick slice of homemade bread with homemade raspberry jam

:ph34r:  hand over the bread, love2, and nobody gets hurt  :D   sounds yumzz!

Adalaide Mentor

Just a couple pork chops and some corn tonight. Didn't have the energy to do more. Hopefully tomorrow will look brighter.

With us around, we'd probably hurt ourselves trying to get the bread. I'll save myself the injury and embarrassment and just stay home. :ph34r:

love2travel Mentor

On my tablet so cannot use emoticon thingers. But if I could...

It WAS delicious. Nice brown and tall loaf slathered with a thick layer of ruby red sweet yet tart jam. Yumzz is right!