This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

IrishHeart Veteran

That chicken looks so idiot proof even I could do it!

I'm all for idiot- proof anything these days. ;) lots of idiocy circulatin....

I am starting to cook whatever I grab first out of the freezer these days since I have to empty it out in 3 weeks

and I am up to my arse in packing tape and boxes. I am just taking a break to check in and say

"Let's all send our SkiLisa healing wishes, okay? she's not feeling well

and she could use our collective healing vibes and hugs!" YO, SKI... :wub: get well, babes!miss ya.

Tonight's surprise package was......veggie lasagne with the date 6/28 on it. Works for me.

K

Thanks for posting the chicken recipe. Sounds great. And thanks for telling me to use the damn crock pot in the first place.

Arlene

if only I had an almond horn to go with....can ya shoot one up here, willya? thanks, toots! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

kareng Grand Master

I got steak for dinner Sunday night.  they didn't look very big in the meat counter, so I got 3.  They were huge!  WE are having the leftover on steak salad tonight!  Yum!  Or Hub might use the left-over chicken.  It already tastes a bit like salad dressing so he wants it on a salad.

notme Experienced

I am starting to cook whatever I grab first out of the freezer these days since I have to empty it out in 3 weeks

and I am up to my arse in packing tape and boxes. I am just taking a break to check in and say

and she could use our collective healing vibes and hugs!" YO, SKI... :wub: get well, babes!miss ya.

Tonight's surprise package was......veggie lasagne with the date 6/28 on it. Works for me.

K

Thanks for posting the chicken recipe. Sounds great. And thanks for telling me to use the damn crock pot in the first place.

Arlene

if only I had an almond horn to go with....can ya shoot one up here, willya? thanks, toots! 

hey, ski-lisa, you rest up and heal!  big ((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))) to you !!!!   poor baby, it's been awhile....  :(

irish, 6/28 in my house the next question would be "what year??!!"  LOLZ   and i got the almond horns in NJ so you can stop on your way south   :)  

ms k, how many hours on low?  4 still or more or double <double would be bad.  eating at midnight has ever happened before, though  ^_^

kareng Grand Master

hey, ski-lisa, you rest up and heal!  big ((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))) to you !!!!   poor baby, it's been awhile....   :(

irish, 6/28 in my house the next question would be "what year??!!"  LOLZ   and i got the almond horns in NJ so you can stop on your way south   :)

ms k, how many hours on low?  4 still or more or double <double would be bad.  eating at midnight has ever happened before, though  ^_^

It said 4 on high.  I think 4 on low would have been better.  Or 2 on high.  Without the bones, they don't take long to cook.

Adalaide Mentor

K

Arlene

I was actually thinking about her when I was layin in bed last night unable to fall asleep. She hasn't been pokin her nose in and I was wondering what's up.

I write years on what I put in the freezer for a reason. Sometimes things end up in the bottom and eventually one day I'll end up all the way down there again and be like when the hell did this end up in here? I need a good way to keep track of whether things are 3 months old or a year and 3 months old... or maybe even older. :ph34r:

I think we're doing chicken balls with orange sauce again. We had a ton of leftover sauce because I didn't have the sense to make half a batch. (Or it could have something to do with forgetting I'm making half and measuring one of the ingredients in for as much as the recipe says, but I would never cop to that.) So we'll have that tonight and polish off the sauce because it would be dreadful to let it go to waste.

notme Experienced

hey addy - the chicken called ............. he wants his balls back!   :o 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

(sorry couldn't resist!   ;)  )

Adalaide Mentor

Okay... I'm not crazy and I didn't call them that for the lolz. (Although it is pretty funny.) And no, the chicken can not have his balls back.

http://www.thebakingbeauties.com/2009/02/gluten-free-chinese-style-chicken-balls-with-sweet-and-sour-sauce.html

They look and taste exactly like Chinese takeout when they're done. I'm already kinda trying not to drool on myself thinking about dinner. Mmmmmm......... chicken balls. :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

looks dee licious!  that is one of my favorite recipe websites - some of their stuff is a little 'involved' but i have never made anything off there that wasn't uber yummy.  their paska  (easter) bread is spot on :)  everybody can't believe it is gluten-free ! 

Marilyn R Community Regular

Deconstructed cabbage rolls with half of the 22 meatballs and sauce I made yesterday.  Go me!

kareng Grand Master

http://recipes.chebe.com/recipe/not-so-sloppy-joes-gluten-free

Used half ketchup and half tomato based BBQ sauce. Yum!

notme Experienced

http://recipes.chebe.com/recipe/not-so-sloppy-joes-gluten-free

Used half ketchup and half tomato based BBQ sauce. Yum!

got any leftovers?  :D

that garlic balsamic chicken was so good - and ridiculously easy - i *heart* my crock pot!  we chucked a box of sliced mushrooms in on top of the chicken.  i didn't even stir it the whole time it cooked.  i almost felt guilty   <_< ........  almost........ :lol:

tonight i am marinating a flat iron steak for fajitas :)

kareng Grand Master

got any leftovers?   :D

that garlic balsamic chicken was so good - and ridiculously easy - i *heart* my crock pot!  we chucked a box of sliced mushrooms in on top of the chicken.  i didn't even stir it the whole time it cooked.  i almost felt guilty   <_< ........  almost........ :lol:

tonight i am marinating a flat iron steak for fajitas :)

Actually-1 .  and some left-over meat.  probably only need about 3/4 lb of burger.  They were really good.  They need the egg wash as it gives them a nice crisp crust.

Tonight was a really good salad, sliced smoked chicken, and home made oven fried FF and sweet potato fries.  Thanks to Karen G, I didn't struggle slicing the sweet potato this time.  Thanks, K.G.

kareng Grand Master

Tonight was a really good salad, sliced smoked chicken, and home made oven fried FF and sweet potato fries.  Thanks to Karen G, I didn't struggle slicing the sweet potato this time.  Thanks, K.G.

The 6 minute boil? I got that from The .Rachael Ray Show! !

The 6 minute boil? I got that from The .Rachael Ray Show! ! 

Well, I modified it.  I nuked the sweet tater for 2 minutes.

I'm not sure which is worse, hard chopping or hot fingers, lol.

I find out Tuesday or Wed if I have diabetes on top of gluten intolerance and Lupus, so I had to have my taters tonight.  I think I probably have it, bubbles in my urine, blah blah blah.

Keep 'em  fingers crossed for me.  I reckon I'll go make myself a large vodka with fresh mango and tonic, too.  I can be in denial until the actual verdict, lol.

xxx,

kareng Grand Master

I find out Tuesday or Wed if I have diabetes on top of gluten intolerance and Lupus, so I had to have my taters tonight.  I think I probably have it, bubbles in my urine, blah blah blah.

Keep 'em  fingers crossed for me.  I reckon I'll go make myself a large vodka with fresh mango and tonic, too.  I can be in denial until the actual verdict, lol.

xxx,

I think sweet potatoes are Ok with diabetes? Not the same I start carb hit as white potatoes? Vodka and mango....maybe not so much

notme Experienced

xxx,

good luck, marilyn - fingers and toes crossed !   :unsure:

Thanks Karen & Notme,

I got a good laugh today when I called my 87 year old aunt to wish her a happy Labor Day. 

She was getting ready to mow her 3/4 acre lawn by the way.

When I mentioned I might have diabetes, she said "Oh No!  That's a pia, you'll have to watch what you eat!" 

I told her I was pretty used to that, and could cope with being a pokeahauntus too

shadowicewolf Proficient

Just made some onigiri to go with dinner tonight. I'm also going to be making a veggie stir-fry.

It was going to be lunch, but i had to eat something and the rice was taking a while (rinse it, soak it, cook it, steam it). My veggies are already prepared as well. So all i'll have to do is toss them in the pan and cook them.

Also, I am quite happy to have found good sushi rice. I have been wanting to make onigiri for a while. No filling in these this time, but i thought it would be more fun than to have just a plain bowl of rice.

IrishHeart Veteran

......  So I'm yakking with my mum tonight and she was making pasta for dinner (because in Boston, it is still "Prince Spaghetti day" on Wednesday and a tradition that has carried on in my home for 30+ years, regardless of a celiac DX).

And, I actually went to the same HS as Anthony who appeared in those commercials. (If you know what I am talking about....I got news for ya....pssst! YER OLD!)

so, she told me she found a new gluten-free pasta by Ronzoni ....and  asks me:

"so, IrishHeart (wise ass that she is).... Is it from a dedicated facility?"

Quick check on google...yes Ma, it's cool. Mangia!

She says.,...ok, love you, gotta go!.....My Ma eats at 5:30, no matter if she is talking to her fave child.
LOL

I looked it up and see this review:

http://www.glutenfreebaking.com/public/review_Ronzoni_GlutenFree_Penne_Rigate.cfm#.UiegmT_9WcY

Might go git me some tomorrow......

meanwhile, testing the very limits of a histamine intolerance, I am having bruschetta tonight.

yes, the last of the tomato and basil plants (now, cue the sad music....) and the end of the veggie garden in our home of 26 years.....sniffle sniffle

GF Lover Rising Star

Making shredded chicken sammies.

This is a regional favorite and by regional, I mean Ohio.  

1. Crock Pot

2. 2 cans of cream of chicken soup

3. Around 50-70 oz. Oz. canned chick's.

4. Some bread crumbs or crackers

Optional, onions or whatever floats yer boat.  Spoon on buns or slop on taters like I do :)

Cook for at least 2 hours.  Consistency like sloppy Joes.

Enjoy the taste of the Midwest. 

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Hey Colleen

Great to have you about :)

GF Lover Rising Star

Thanks.  Great to be here amongst my crazy gluten challenged friends :D

notme Experienced

Thanks.  Great to be here amongst my crazy gluten challenged friends :D

good :) we missed you!  

tonight - i had the worst craving for caramel apples, i usually have apples but no caramel so i made caramel sauce and dipped them.  i ate A TON.  i ruined my appetite!!  

so, it's beer brats for the hubs w/onions & mushrooms if he wants (i have them cooking now) (i might try them later) and frying up some pickled red cabbage.  

caramel apples and redbridge - sounds like i have all the food groups covered......  probably need some chocolate.... (and salt!  oh, no!  gotta check my calendar!!)  :blink:  :lol:

love2travel Mentor

I've been housesitting where the WiFi is sporadic so have missed posting recently.  Am also getting ready for our big Croatia/Italy trip in three weeks for the month of October.  Came into town to do more cooking to take back with me.  I made a big batch of Bolognese - very authentic with white wine, milk, etc.

Tonight is:

- Greek baby back ribs

- lemon rice soup

- roast lemon baby potatoes

- Greek salad