This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

kareng Grand Master

that sounds like yum

I can give you the recipe if you want.

(1) My mom recommended the pasta.

(2) Pasta is not a night shade.

(3) I did not tell you to put tomato sauce on it, now did I? noooooo..

(4) but, if  you want to blame me, I can handle it. As the youngest in my family, I am used to getting blamed for lots of stuff. <_<

I didn't do it, Mom!  IH did!  blender-accident.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

IrishHeart Veteran

he he he!  I can see you probably blamed your siblings for everything too.

yes, please, Karen---shoot me the recipe. or post here, if easy enough? I am always loving the risotto!!!.

GF Lover Rising Star

As the youngest in my family I blamed my brothers....they always bought it :lol:

cyclinglady Grand Master

:o   hide! 

thurs - the gabrielle special - seared scallops, bacon, spinach salad with mandarin oranges, poppy seed dressing (brianna's is the best and i can not fake it!)  with extra sharp white chedda (youngest was home from school for a day or so - long enough for mom to make her favorite, get a new cellphone, get free dinner at red robin, and gas $$)

last night was shrimp tacos on corn tortillas <husband hates the corn tortillas)(ok, i don't like them either) with mango salsa (and i think mangos hate me, too)  so that was a bust

tonight we had CHICKEN SPINACH & FETA SAUSAGE in what was supposed to be lasagne but turned out to be macaroni & feta cheese sauce with ricotta.........surprisingly tasty (and i need to get more lasagne noodles - it's the Surprise Pantry - Surprise!  you only have 3 lasagne noodles in what you thought was a full box :wacko::lol: )

hey, ih, the sausage was pre-cooked - must have been all that staring at it LOLZ :P  i got microwave eyes - always wondered why my goose was always cooked ;)

Don't give up on corn tortillas!  They should be fresh and heated on the stove in a pan or we just put it directly on the grating of our gas stove top.  Don't scorch them but heat until they begin to bubble and turn a few times.  Use two corn tortillas to hold your filling -- especially when it's wet with salsa.  Homemade tortillas are the best, but usually I'm too lazy!

kareng Grand Master

he he he!  I can see you probably blamed your siblings for everything too.

yes, please, Karen---shoot me the recipe. or post here, if easy enough? I am always loving the risotto!!!.

Let me get it.  It was originally on here but Patti and I modified it a bunch to make it a one pot meal.  And translate it into American.

IrishHeart Veteran

As the youngest in my family I blamed my brothers....they always bought it :lol:

Well, I got blamed, but nothing ever came of it because as I still tell them, I am the cutest and the favorite. ^_^

shadowicewolf Proficient

Left over mac and cheese with some veggies. I'm surprised you guyz didn't say anything about it :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

This isn't a super creamy, cream laden dish but it makes a nice 1 pot meal.  I think you could use more spinach if you wanted.

I think I have changed enough about this recipe to make it mine - changed & added some ingredients.  Changed a few other parts as well as the measurements.

Oven Chicken Risotto

Olive oil

1 medium onion - finely chopped

1 lb chicken breast (cut into bite sized bits)

15.5 oz or 2 ¼ cups Arborio rice

¼ cup white wine

44 oz chicken broth

3 ½ tbsp grated parmesan (I use more I’m sure.. I just stir it in until it looks good)

2 Tbsp + of fresh basil, chopped

10 oz box of frozen spinach

1 cup of shredded carrots

Preheat oven to 325F.

Cook the frozen spinach about 3 minutes in microwave. Add the carrots and cook another 3-4 minutes. Drain well.

Using a pan that you can cover and put in the oven - drizzle olive oil and cook onion about 2-3 minutes.

Add chicken to onions and cook partially just to cook the outside.

Add rice and cook, stirring, for a minute.

Add wine and stock and bring back to a boil (or not if dinner is running late). Stir.

Add spinach & carrots and stir well.

Put a lid or foil on it and put it in the oven. Cook for 15 minutes. Stir and cook another 15 minutes. Stir. May need another 5-8 minutes (mine usually does) to get most of the moisture out.

Take out and add the basil and the cheese. Serve.

Left-overs are good but might need a bit of water or chicken broth.

This makes a lot. For two people who eat a normal portion, you might want to make about half.

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks, K

Now, if I can find the right box with my big covered pot in the PODS container and fish it out, I would be all set...  :lol:

I made a cut and paste copy to my laptop. 

kareng Grand Master

Thanks, K

Now, if I can find the right box with my big covered pot in the PODS container and fish it out, I would be all set...  :lol:

I made a cut and paste copy to my laptop.

You know you are supposed to empty those PODs don't you? Or put them in storage?

IrishHeart Veteran

You know you are supposed to empty those PODs don't you? Or put them in storage?

It is in storage. That's the whole point. My house is being built, remember?. I am living in a rental. I can only bring in so much. It just landed here in FL. I have to keep most of my stuff in the POD....

For 4 months....grumble grumble.....

kareng Grand Master

It is in storage. That's the whole point. My house is being built, remember?. I am living in a rental. I can only bring in so much. It just landed here in FL. I have to keep most of my stuff in the POD....

For 4 months....grumble grumble.....

You are parking on the driveway or parking lot? For 4 months?

You could just put foil over the top. Or transfer it to a casserole?

IrishHeart Veteran

lol.. :lol:  no. I live in a rental house. My house is being built 5 miles away.

The PODS container is in a storage facility about 20 mins. away.

there are no big pots, casseroles or anything in the rental home. I need my stuff. see?  we are going to get some of our things tomorrow.  I have my kitchen stuff in boxes marked "open me first"

shadowicewolf Proficient

Alright guys, i need some ideas.

I'm kinda in the mood for chicken nuggets or something similar. I have chicken thigh, rice flour, egg, salt and pepper, and corn starch.

what can i do with this?

LauraTX Rising Star

You have everything you need for chicken nuggets!  I would dredge nugget sized chunks of chicken thighs (so maybe cut each thigh into 4 pieces)  in egg, and then in a mix of 3 parts rice flour/1 part corn starch, seasoned with the salt and pepper.  If you can add paprika and garlic powder it'll be extra yummy.  Bake at 375 until done (if you can bake them on a rack they will be more crisp), or you can use a little oil and fry them up in a pan.  I cook all my chicken to 180 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Tonight I treated myself and went to the best gluten-free restaurant in Dallas/Fort Worth, "From across the pond" in Hurst, Texas.  They have a gluten-free menu that reads like a regular menu, and they give you GLUTEN FREE GARLIC BREAD!  For free!  There are also bona-fide British people there, teehee! One of the few places you walk in and say "I'm a celiac" and you know you are good.  I had an antipasta salad, and the hubby had a hamburger.  I was really craving that salad but staring at his giant juicy hamburger had my mouth watering over it so I think we will go back later this week so I can kick the craving.  

Tomorrow I am making gluten-free fried spicy chicken tenders.  I put them on to marinade tonight in buttermilk/sriracha/lawrys seasoned salt.  I take them straight out of the buttermilk and dredge them in gluten-free bisquick that I have seasoned up.  Makes a really good treat :)

love2travel Mentor

Flying to Venice then driving to our house in Croatia - leaving Monday and will be away 26 days. YAY! Have not been here much lately as I have been busy. Yesterday I made lovely beef stew to use up some of our carrots, potatoes, peas, shrooms, etc. Nice to have as we are having some chilly temps (in the minus range).

Have an awesome October, All!

notme Experienced

Alright guys, i need some ideas.

I'm kinda in the mood for chicken nuggets or something similar. I have chicken thigh, rice flour, egg, salt and pepper, and corn starch.

what can i do with this?

you can make chicken balls!!!  recipe on the baking beauties website :)  addie started it (lolz and i still have sauce leftover so OBVIOUSLY ima hafta make them again)  heeeeeeeeeeere chicken chicken chicken!

last night i made awesome new england clam chowda - it's my own recipe :)  and i'm from jersey, so i guess it's hoboken clam chowda lolz - got some littlenecks to throw in there still in the shell and that was a nice addition.

tonight we are having steak on the grill  (for the Meat Man) and i'm going to attempt my first try with pillsbury pie crust ready made stuff.  making a tomato/ricotta/white (australian) sharp cheddar <the stuff is delicious - had it on spinach salad with dried cranberries and prosciutto - sooooo tasty!  the brand name is cute, too - 'old croc'  lololz and it doesn't taste like any sort of shoe at all, not crocs or alligator shoes................. 

w8in4dave Community Regular

Question here :) When making Soup and using gluten-free noodles. Last night Turkey soup :) Umm I made noodles but did not add them to the soup. Putt he noodles in a bowl then added soup. I was afraid the noodles would tear up in the soup. I was not sure. SO what does everyone do when making soup with noodles? Do you add the noodles to the soup? Or leave the separate? When I put everything away I put noodles separate. 

kareng Grand Master

I just throw the noodles in at the end and let them cook.  We don't mind that the noodles soak up all the broth in the left-overs.  But my son and hub don't really like a lot of broth.  Some noodles seem to hold up better, so try different brands and ingredients - corn pasta seems sturdier but might not taste great in chicken noodle.

Friday night - chili

Saturday night - Experimental night - a yummy non-TexMex bean dip - black beans, fresh goat cheese, roasted poblanos...  Peanut toffee

Sunday night - Steaks and corn on the cob on the grill, salad,  Lundberg rice mix, and a warm flourless cake with vanilla ice cream.

Tonight - left-over chili as chili mac was requested.  I might make mine into a taco salad

notme Experienced

have a great trip, love2!  karen - i love your experimental nights (also i want chili mac now lolz)  shadow - anxiously awaiting how you made mac & cheese with your chicken lololz  j/k :D  w8n4 - i use the tinkyada noodles and they hold up pretty well in soups/sauces - i have used some corn pastas that would disintigrate if you left them in liquid too long - like, turn to mush. 

hubs on the road again - finally cooked his steak last night - the pie turned out really good!!  in spite of hilarity insueingness ;)  but i made the steak rub with instant coffee in it, which was tasty but wreaked havoc on my stomach almost instantly <get it?  INSTANT coffee...........  yuk yuk

eating l'eftouvres and plotting wednesday menu - i told husband i was 'pantry cooking' - i have too many things in there so i'm dreaming up ways to clear them out.   dangerrrr..... :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

Flying to Venice then driving to our house in Croatia - leaving Monday and will be away 26 days. YAY! Have not been here much lately as I have been busy. Yesterday I made lovely beef stew to use up some of our carrots, potatoes, peas, shrooms, etc. Nice to have as we are having some chilly temps (in the minus range).

Have an awesome October, All!

Safe journey and send me pics!! xx

Temps in the minus range already? girl, you need to move to Croatia permanently. That is just plain wrong to be in the minus numbers in September.  Your bones and muscles need HEAT.  :)  love ya--have a wonderful time.

It was 86 today and I swam in the ocean.... just sayin B) . 

hubs on the road again - finally cooked his steak last night - the pie turned out really good!!  in spite of hilarity insueingness ;)  but i made the steak rub with instant coffee in it, which was tasty but wreaked havoc on my stomach almost instantly <get it?  INSTANT coffee...........  yuk yuk

That "Hilarity Insueingness" --dear gawd, that is not really a word, sillypants! ---was partly your fault.  :P

Friday--I boldly tried a local Italian joint with a dedicated pizza oven and crusts that come from a dedicated bakery. Fellow GFers recommend it highly, so I did it. And it was pretty dang good (and so much for my whole 30 diet plan. totally shot to hell while traveling and relocating) May try it again in a week or so. What can I say except, I am a dismal failure and I have a carb addiction apparently.. 

Saturday- was an antipasta platter and melon.   Some caramel and sea salt gelato. YUM..

Sunday- Pork tenderloin, sliced over brown rice pilaf with almonds and a warm mango/pineapple/jalapeno salsa. And peaches.

Today--we had roasted chicken from BJs (thank you, ADDY for the idea!) and baked potatoes with fresh haricot verts  << that's for you, K.

Tomorrow, seafood of some nature. The local seafood market gave me a $5. welcome coupon when I went in last week and I figure I should be grateful and use it.  :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Oh, meant to add: regarding cooking noodles for soup?

I found that it makes the soup too starchy for my taste to cook them with the veggies, meat, etc..

And the corn pasta can turn it yellow, so I cook the noodles separately, to a good al dente, (tinkyada is about 11 mins. no matter what the package says/ 13 if you are making them for pasta dishes) --then drain and add them to the soup pot for the remaining cooking time.

This is just my preference. 

But no matter what, they will absorb the broth like a sponge ---but that does not really bother me. 

w8in4dave Community Regular

THanks for the noodle tips :) I guess if it is watery I will cook the noodles and throw them in. If not I will cook them and add as I serve :) Thanks guys :) 

shadowicewolf Proficient

I just throw the noodles in at the end and let them cook.  We don't mind that the noodles soak up all the broth in the left-overs.  But my son and hub don't really like a lot of broth.  Some noodles seem to hold up better, so try different brands and ingredients - corn pasta seems sturdier but might not taste great in chicken noodle.

Friday night - chili

Saturday night - Experimental night - a yummy non-TexMex bean dip - black beans, fresh goat cheese, roasted poblanos...  Peanut toffee

Sunday night - Steaks and corn on the cob on the grill, salad,  Lundberg rice mix, and a warm flourless cake with vanilla ice cream.

Tonight - left-over chili as chili mac was requested.  I might make mine into a taco salad

Ditto.

I toss the pasta in the last 8 or so minutes of cooking. Turns out fine, most of the time.

LauraTX Rising Star

When I make soup I cook the noodles separate and add when ready to serve.  If you aren't going to have leftovers you can cook in the soup pot, but usually they will puff way up and be gross when you reheat them.