This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

ItchyAbby Enthusiast

Oh quesadillas sound goooooood! I am *this* close to getting dairy back and that will be one of the first things put back into rotation. What kind cheese do you use? (Details please and speak slowly... :lol: )

Tonight I am making shepherd's pie. It's darn cold out and perfect for it. But I have no lamb, so it'll be elk inside and I am adding green beans and topping it with white sweet potatoes...so...shall I call it hunter-gatherer's pie, maybe?

and a salad...with pomegranate juice-evoo dressing, pomegranate seeds, hazelnuts and beets.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

Adalaide Mentor

Usually if I'm being responsible I buy blocks of cheddar at Costco. I have a shredder attachment for my KitchenAid so it's super easy to shred myself, and I just sprinkle a little starch on it, mix it up really well and it stores without getting clumpy. Or, if I haven't been responsible I just pick up whatever cheddar or Mexican blend catches my eye at the store.

Sometimes I'll poach a chicken breast in salsa and that's that. Chicken, cheese, done. Sometimes though I'll just use plain shredded chicken, crispy diced bacon, always cheddar with this, and ranch for dipping. There was this whole "chicken cheddar bacon ranch" craze a while back and so we started making our own quesadillas. Sometimes on the "plain" ones I'll put salsa or corn right in them. I always use sour cream for dipping those. Kraft has a good sour cream without wonky ingredients in it. (I swear to God my blood pressure rises dangerously every time I read a sour cream label and it had 10 ingredients. It needs 2, cream and culture. GAH!)

Also, cream cheese, mashed bananas, cinnamon. Spread on tortillas like a quesadilla filling. Fry. Attempt not to burn your mouth eating them because you can't wait for them to cool. Or apples and brie. Dessert quesadillas are just as good as dinner ones.

LauraTX Rising Star

Last night my vegetable hating husband ate dinner away from the house so I took the chance to make myself something :D  I sauteed a double sized container of sliced mushrooms, zucchini, garlic, olive oil, and diced tomato, and threw a little pasta in there.  Topped it off with pecorino romano cheese... mmmmm.  Gosh it was soooo good!  I think it is totally worth it to buy expensive cheese sometimes, because you only need to use a little bit it goes farther, and shredded cheese freezes well.

Also yesterday I got a hold of the last of the See's candy I bought.  I wish I could work there and get free candy but I would never get tired of chocolate and they would roll me out each day a few pounds heavier, hehe.

Tonight is walnut crusted baked chicken using udis bread made into breadcrumbs that I froze a while back.  Going to make mashed potatoes and peas on the side.  I discovered a gluten-free gravy mix packet in the back of my pantry so I may make it, too, to use it up.

Adalaide Mentor

I'd be bigger around than I am tall if I worked in a candy store.  :D  See's candies are good stuff too, it's a good thing they're at a far end in our mall or I'd always get some when I go.

We ran errands today, and it ended up taking longer than expected because we did Christmas stuff too. After 7 hours on the go I was in so much pain I was barely capable of walking. But I have Christmas cards, a few gifts, and my grocery shopping done. So when I got home, I mixed up a dip real quick, grabbed a bag of chips and that was supper. :ph34r: I don't even know when I've done something that horrid last, but I just didn't have it in me to cook. If I get hungry before bed I can always get a bowl of cereal.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Decided to catch up a bit...

We have about a foot of snow in the back yard. A FOOT!!! I don't live in the mountains, I live in the valley. In the 8(ish) years I've been here there has never been that much snow in a single day. I'm sure it's a skiers paradise, but other than my trek for marshmallows for my hot chocolate yesterday I'm going to keep myself cozied up and toasty in the house thank you very much. (Multiple boxes of Breton crackers may have somehow also ended up in my shopping bags. Not sure how that happened. :lol:)

Ah thats nothin'.

CRACKERS THAT TASTE LIKE CRACKERS?!?!?!!  surely this is a myth.........

laura - i would make chicken lasagne and use slices (thin, lengthwise) of zucchini as the lasagne noodles - yummmmz - i miss my garden!

tonight - i am still trying to revamp my freezer, so i had some sausage & mushroom cream sauce for pasta in there.  i has some shrimp and frozen green beans.  the end lolz

It is no myth.... :ph34r: You guyz were right... those cheese crackers are very very good.

Ok, so... crackers. These aren't just crackers that taste like crackers. They are crackers that will change the way you view the world. If people can do crackers right, what other magical doors can be opened for us? Everyone needs to try them.

I haven't tryed that brand before...

Usually if I'm being responsible I buy blocks of cheddar at Costco. I have a shredder attachment for my KitchenAid so it's super easy to shred myself, and I just sprinkle a little starch on it, mix it up really well and it stores without getting clumpy. Or, if I haven't been responsible I just pick up whatever cheddar or Mexican blend catches my eye at the store.

Sometimes I'll poach a chicken breast in salsa and that's that. Chicken, cheese, done. Sometimes though I'll just use plain shredded chicken, crispy diced bacon, always cheddar with this, and ranch for dipping. There was this whole "chicken cheddar bacon ranch" craze a while back and so we started making our own quesadillas. Sometimes on the "plain" ones I'll put salsa or corn right in them. I always use sour cream for dipping those. Kraft has a good sour cream without wonky ingredients in it. (I swear to God my blood pressure rises dangerously every time I read a sour cream label and it had 10 ingredients. It needs 2, cream and culture. GAH!)

Also, cream cheese, mashed bananas, cinnamon. Spread on tortillas like a quesadilla filling. Fry. Attempt not to burn your mouth eating them because you can't wait for them to cool. Or apples and brie. Dessert quesadillas are just as good as dinner ones.

What type of starch and how much?

I'd be bigger around than I am tall if I worked in a candy store.  :D  See's candies are good stuff too, it's a good thing they're at a far end in our mall or I'd always get some when I go.

We ran errands today, and it ended up taking longer than expected because we did Christmas stuff too. After 7 hours on the go I was in so much pain I was barely capable of walking. But I have Christmas cards, a few gifts, and my grocery shopping done. So when I got home, I mixed up a dip real quick, grabbed a bag of chips and that was supper. :ph34r: I don't even know when I've done something that horrid last, but I just didn't have it in me to cook. If I get hungry before bed I can always get a bowl of cereal.

Been there done that. I generally eat some raw veggies with the dip as well.

My dinner tonight? Snow peas, cream cheese, and cheese-y crackers....why are these so good?... :ph34r:

LauraTX Rising Star

Well today in North Texas is day 2 of "icemageddon." People here have no idea how to drive in this.  On the news they are just flying out in their helicopter and there are stuck vehicles and semis all over, highways are nearly impassable, etc.  My husband had said we would go get me some good gluten-free pizza this weekend but no way am I going out there.  I even abandoned my 30 foot trip to the mailbox this afternoon because it was so slick and I did NOT want to end up trying to get to the emergency room.  So we are home and bored.  I made brownies from scratch using the KAF all purpose baking mix, just subbed it in for flour in a regular recipe. Worked pretty well!  That has become my favorite gluten-free product, seems to sub into anything- just treat it like self rising flour.

Tonight for dinner I am going to cook up something we get from our butcher called santa fe chicken.  A chicken breast stuffed with a poblano pepper and a white cheese(jack maybe?), wrapped in bacon.  The sucker is HUGE so I cook one for the two of us.  The pepper and bacon really infuse the chicken nicely.  I will probably cook up some potatoes or something to go with it.  I was thinking about getting supplies and making some freezer lasagnas to bake up later but that ain't happening for a few days!

Adalaide Mentor

I forgot you're down there in ice country. I have family down there and they say it's crazy bad. Thankfully though no one seems to have lost power over this whole thing. Stay warm!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

Also, I use cornstarch on my cheese when I shred it. I imagine that using any starch would work though. I only use cornstarch because I buy it in 25 pound bulk bags for way less than I pay for my other starches. I probably end up using probably around 2-3 teaspoons for a pound of cheese, or something like that. I just sprinkle a little on after each bit I put through the shredder then mix it up, and keep doing that every time I shred more into the bowl. I know it's enough if it isn't sticking together, and if it's too much I'll just be shredding more on top of it so it's not a big deal. I just eyeball it.

notme Experienced

tonight is swedish (venison) pot roast - i'll throw some potatoes and carrots into it and call it done - something warm, as the cold is catching up with us here in east tennessee :(  my daughter lives on the coast of nc, and she sent me a photo of the thermometer reading on her car yesterday - 87 degrees!!!  this sure is some crazy weather!!!

last night was mac & cheese w/stewed tomatoes - my very favorite comfort food - and it's what's for lunch, too :D

i am wanting to go to the Big Shopping Place, but, as usual (!) i am waiting to see what Other People are doing.  SOMEBODY knew his big truck needed a radiator hose ON WEDNESDAY but waited till today to fix it, so, if i want to ditch my brother's kids, i hafta wait til he gets back.  plus, i said i'd watch the grandkid tonight so our son can go to his work Christmas party...............  so i gotta ditch him on pop-pop, too, LOLZ i'm the best meemo EVER :D

notme Experienced

Well today in North Texas is day 2 of "icemageddon." People here have no idea how to drive in this.  On the news they are just flying out in their helicopter and there are stuck vehicles and semis all over, highways are nearly impassable, etc.

no, there is no driving on ice - snow, maybe, if you're pretty good at it (and it takes years of practice and usually wrecking a few times) but, if it's ice, stay home.  you are a wise woman. 

i don't even drive in the snow down here, because everybody else sucks at it <and they will wreck you)  lolz - you should see the people running to the stores - got to get your BREAD AND MILK - too funny ;)

y'all stay safe!!!!!!!!!!

Adalaide Mentor

no, there is no driving on ice - snow, maybe, if you're pretty good at it (and it takes years of practice and usually wrecking a few times) but, if it's ice, stay home.  you are a wise woman. 

i don't even drive in the snow down here, because everybody else sucks at it <and they will wreck you)  lolz - you should see the people running to the stores - got to get your BREAD AND MILK - too funny ;)

y'all stay safe!!!!!!!!!!

I always find that hilarious! If you don't watch the weather closely you'll find out that you have gone to the store to get milk because it happens to be on your grocery list and there IS NONE! So you ask and are like wth and they're all "there's a storm" and look at you like you're a moron for not having come at 6 in the morning because obviously they were going to be out by 7.

That was PA. Thankfully, people in Utah don't panic. I've never seen a run on perishables here. Shelves were fully stocked when I went to the store in 6 inches of snow on Monday. Oh, and we're not afraid to drive in whatever.

Hopefully everyone is toasty. We've got more snow coming down right now. Looks like maybe an inch so far, so if it keeps up all day we'll get maybe 2 more. Meh, whatever. I'll send it east for all of you! :P

I'm not up to much yet today. I'll pop open a can of canned beef for dinner and make gravy with it. Maybe some potato wedges. We also have some bag salads in the fridge so it'll turn into a real meal with extremely little effort. If I had more spunk I'd make pancakes because I bought some marionberry syrup yesterday and I'm dying to have it. But later this week. I must learn patience or something equally stupid grownup. :lol:

LauraTX Rising Star

I am making breakfast for dinner.  Pigs in a blanket!  With KAF baking mix, just used the biscuit recipe.  I just pulled them out of the oven, letting them sit a few minutes.

ItchyAbby Enthusiast

I don't go out driving in Portland when it snows. Let me be clear: I know how to drive in snow. I grew up in New England. But no one - not. a. single. person. - in Portland knows how to drive in snow, plus they don't plow the streets, so it's just a mess.

(FYI, Portlanders also don't know how to drive in rain. I cannot figure that one out...)

(FYI#2, I love my silly little city)

Dinner tonight:

Pork chops

Salad with red beets n pomegranate seeds

Potato-leek soup (had to pull all my leeks before the cold expected tonight)

Squash Pao bread - this is an experiment and it's in the oven now. If it works it might become my new favorite "bready" recipe. Very few ingredients. The dough tastes yummy, so that's a good sign!

Adalaide Mentor

I don't go out driving in Portland when it snows. Let me be clear: I know how to drive in snow. I grew up in New England. But no one - not. a. single. person. - in Portland knows how to drive in snow, plus they don't plow the streets, so it's just a mess.

(FYI, Portlanders also don't know how to drive in rain. I cannot figure that one out...)

(FYI#2, I love my silly little city)

Dinner tonight:

Pork chops

Salad with red beets n pomegranate seeds

Potato-leek soup (had to pull all my leeks before the cold expected tonight)

Squash Pao bread - this is an experiment and it's in the oven now. If it works it might become my new favorite "bready" recipe. Very few ingredients. The dough tastes yummy, so that's a good sign!

Hahaha! No one here knows how to drive in the rain either, which I totally get because it rarely rains here. But we get what I don't even call rain and people are all going 20 in 40 zones acting like it's a foot of snow. I avoid driving in the rain because it makes me want to strangle people.

Our foot Monday was fine, it fell, they plowed, everything was great. Today we got 3-4 inches but it's been windy so no matter what they do to the roads it just keeps blowing back on. My husband drives just a little car and couldn't get home from work, so I took my 4WD up and rescued him. Hopefully tomorrow it'll look better and he can get his car home.

So dinner didn't get potatoes. Just meat and salads. We didn't get home til past 10 because driving in this is hellish. I'm cool as a cucumber and totally confident on these roads, but that doesn't make it any safer to drive faster. <_< Where's my teleporter?

Adalaide Mentor

Earlier this week my husband was joking about hating something I cooked. Then he was like "and I hate your meatloaf too!" I was like omg, we haven't had meatloaf in forever! So, I put it on our menu, it's meatloaf night. :D I love meatloaf so much, it's such a comfort food. And it's perfect for our cold weather. I think I'll make some brown sugar squash and onions to go with it for me.

Definitely not looking forward to the trek out in the snow this afternoon to take my husband to work. I'll survive, but I hope the roads are better so he can bring his car home and I can stay home tonight where it's toasty and I don't have to be out of my jammies.

IrishHeart Veteran

Jammies here. I am under the weather.

I have something--a stomach bug maybe?--I do not think I was glutened but we did go out to dinner Thursday for our anniversary.

The meal was superb, complete with champagne and oysters, etc.

The chef was sure the rack of lamb and bean ragout was G F. But we  came home and I promptly hurled for 3 hours. <_< 

My body begs to differ with his assessment, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt. This is an upscale place and I'd really like it to be a special occasion place for us. sigh.  

anyhoo...

Hubs went to get us a chicken at BJs. I am not hungry....waaa....

And Addy :Daisy brand is just sour cream. I agree with you, I don't want anything in my sour cream except cream.

Adalaide Mentor

Get better! Sometimes our hurling isn't from gluten so maybe it was something else? I'll live in denial with you. :P

Not a lot of places have Daisy around here. It's weird. But we have a "local" large dairy called Darigold and Costco carries a 3 pound :ph34r: tub of their sour cream that I picked up this week. Two ingredients. My husband was all "do we really need that much sour cream?" I was like do we NOT need that much?

Also, those rotisserie chickens are awesome for under the weather days. At least you know if you feel like eating you have ready to go safe food. :)

Adalaide Mentor

In case no one knew, today is NATIONAL BROWNIE DAY! Have a brownie, it's practically a rule. :D

IrishHeart Veteran

My husband was all "do we really need that much sour cream?" I was like do we NOT need that much?

I know, right? plus,I use it in my baking. Superior rolls and pizza crusts that way. My pal Sherry who owns the G F bakery gave me that tip.

In case no one knew, today is NATIONAL BROWNIE DAY! Have a brownie, it's practically a rule. :D

oh come now.......EVERY day is Brownie day to you.! :lol:

love2travel Mentor

Avgolemono soup (Greek chicken lemon rice)

Greek salad with homemade unctuous vinaigrette

Toasted coconut meringues with rose water

chef.gif

shadowicewolf Proficient

If i wanted to do a baked pasta using ancient harvest qunioa pasta, how would i go about doing so?

notme Experienced

unctuous vinaigrette

chef.gif

ok, love2, ya got me again!  ima hafta google that one :)  (not the vinegrette part lolz)

tonight is tuesday surprise - i'll be surprised if i eat One More Time today, i have been a p-i-g pig.  maybe some gelato, if i can stand something cold in this weather (besides a bards :P )

last night i had dinner at some hoity toity place in the next town over.  it was a combined lions party with the club from their town and ours.  i called ahead and talked to the owner, he said he would make me a salad.   i was all like, well, i'm not a vegetarian.  what else is on the menu?  he said he would call me back and we would go over it.  (with immense sighing, like it was a chore)  i get off the phone and husband is glaring daggers at me:  YOU KNOW THAT'S ALSO A BAKERY, RIGHT ok, ok, so i call the guy back and tell him i'll make other arrangements.  so i walk into the place, and the guy is (ya know the one)   Snarky McSnarker from Snarksville, the county Snark.  he says:  we do the gluten free thing all the time, you know.  we know what we're doing.   my high horse was *right there* , i mean, just waiting for me to jump on!  he was gonna get the biggest lesson in celiac.  but i was nice................  <_<   k, none of my cronies showed up.  some of my club was there, but the ones who save me a seat, etc, must have known how awful these things are - but nobody sent me the memo!!  wth  :mellow:   it was a bust.  a snoozchebag fest.  i was texting my husband "gnawing my leg off" then some lady started bashing truckers and i had to go.  on the way out some guy hit on me (really?????????????)

yes, i think dinner will be gelato  :)  and bards  :lol:  as a reward for not losing my coolish coolness. 

sunday, i yelled at a guy in church.  i figure i better not get on a roll.  (LOLZ!)

notme Experienced

—used to describe someone who speaks and behaves in a way that is meant to seem friendly and polite but that is unpleasant because it is obviously not sincere

vinaigrette ???

:)

IrishHeart Veteran

—used to describe someone who speaks and behaves in a way that is meant to seem friendly and polite but that is unpleasant because it is obviously not sincere

vinaigrette ???

:)

in the culinary world, it has a "special meaning"  :D

http://m.cdapress.com/columns/bill_rutherford/article_47c79405-64db-56d3-8cb1-ad477797ac53.html?mode=jqm

IrishHeart Veteran

on the way out some guy hit on me (really?????????????)

You could never lose your coolish coolishness!!. 

Some dude hit on me at the beach today. really. At. the. Beach. 

I am in my (ahem) 50s. I am reading my book, catching some rays and my Vit D fix and he wants to chat at me. 

He's like 25-30 feet away laying on a towel. The waves are crashing. And he's asking me questions. oy! dude!

Stop. Talking. This is my quiet place. :lol: J comes back to pick me up and carry my chair to the car for me (cuz that's the kinda guy he is--all 6'4" of him)

and he shut up rather quickly.

(He golfs while I beach, BTW. )

Hilarious.

Looking at some pork tenderloin roasted with root veggies and possibly some unctuous gravy. ^_^ .