This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks for the DIP UPDATE, K. I wondered how that went.  It all sounds like YUM to me   :) 

Chicken marsala tonight with risotto milanese and a side of roasted asparagus

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

love2travel Mentor

Roast ham with cheesy cauliflower bake and bittersweet chocolate cake with peanut butter and peanut filling, whipped cream, caramel sauce and toasted almonds.  All low carb and very good. 

moosemalibu Collaborator

I am so excited to try Stephanie O'Dea's recipe for crock pot buffalo chicken casserole! I bought her cookbook last week out of menu boredom (I was in a super frustrated place - it gets tiring cooking all the time! Can I get an amen!?) I can't wait to go home and try it! I also bought the cookbook Against All Grain. Excited for both of them. I love perusing recipes and menu planning before bed.

moosemalibu Collaborator

Roast ham with cheesy cauliflower bake and bittersweet chocolate cake with peanut butter and peanut filling, whipped cream, caramel sauce and toasted almonds.  All low carb and very good. 

OMG-- that peanut butter chocolate cake.. must get recipe!

kareng Grand Master

I am so excited to try Stephanie O'Dea's recipe for crock pot buffalo chicken casserole! I bought her cookbook last week out of menu boredom (I was in a super frustrated place - it gets tiring cooking all the time! Can I get an amen!?) I can't wait to go home and try it! I also bought the cookbook Against All Grain. Excited for both of them. I love perusing recipes and menu planning before bed.

The Buffalo Chicken Lasagna? It's great!

notme Experienced

ima need that sweet onion crack dip, ms k  ^_^

yesterday, i made the baking beauties version of bette hagman's french bread.  and i changed it (b/c i didn't have enough tap starch) lolz - MIRACULOUSLY it turned out great!  i made little baguettes and froze most of them.  went to a mardi gras party last night and brought my own bbq shrimp.  it's a cajun recipe tweaked by my italian friend.....   the hostess of the party e-mailed me her menu and i just made one or two things that were similar to bring for me to eat. 

i can't tell you how happy i was with the bread!  i think i have this flour mixing thing going on ;)  <she says confidently, thereby jinxing herself......... <_<

tell ya what else i made on the dessert thread  ;) ;) ;)  yeast baking, baby!

kareng Grand Master

ima need that sweet onion crack dip, ms k  ^_^

yesterday, i made the baking beauties version of bette hagman's french bread.  and i changed it (b/c i didn't have enough tap starch) lolz - MIRACULOUSLY it turned out great!  i made little baguettes and froze most of them.  went to a mardi gras party last night and brought my own bbq shrimp.  it's a cajun recipe tweaked by my italian friend.....   the hostess of the party e-mailed me her menu and i just made one or two things that were similar to bring for me to eat. 

i can't tell you how happy i was with the bread!  i think i have this flour mixing thing going on ;)  <she says confidently, thereby jinxing herself......... <_<

tell ya what else i made on the dessert thread  ;) ;) ;)  yeast baking, baby!

http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/sweet-onion-dip-recipe/

I used Miracle whip instead of the mayo..... Nah! Just kidding! :lol: . I used sour cream instead - hub hates Mayo and Mayo- like products so much that he can't walk down that isle in the grocery. It's yummy. It re- heats in the micorwave. And the left- overs cold from the fridge are very very yummy crumbled on a salad. Probably be good on a burger or sandwich.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LauraTX Rising Star

Just got back from a great trip to see a friend... Gosh I love Seattle!  Great gluten-free dining options. Pulled some chicken tenders out of the freezer and grilled them up on the george foreman, served with some canned veggies.  Gotta go get some groceries tomorrow!  

While at her house we made gluten-free chicken fried steak.  Mmmmmmm. 

cahill Collaborator

Tonights dinner is :

Mexican rice and refried beans

Adalaide Mentor

When I found out the company that makes the only taco seasoning I like (that doesn't have msg) was out of business I cried. This was quite a while ago and I've tried others or making my own since then and wasn't happy with any. Then one afternoon in the hippie store as I walked down an aisle I saw an entire box of my taco seasoning! Apparently they had an old box laying around. I quickly grabbed ALL OF THEM. I practically skipped to the checkout.

So tonight was tacos. Amazing, perfect, delicious tacos. And Mexican rice. I'm so happy I'm not even missing the salted caramel hazelnut ice cream I finished off last night.

kareng Grand Master

We had a really yummy Smoked turkey and bean soup. Fabulous flavor - slightly spicy and nicely smoky.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2012/10/smoky-turkey-and-black-bean-soup.html

I used a big piece of turkey they called a "turkey tenderloin" but you could probably put a turkey breast in, too. Used frozen corn , onion and frozen spinach - didn't thaw them. I added another can of beans, forgot to pulverize a little before I put the shredded turkey back in. Next time, I would add a can of Great Northern beans toward the end. Maybe put a little colby Jack cheese on top.

Just to stop this argument before it starts - Liquid Smoke is gluten free - even said so on the container.

notme Experienced

Then one afternoon in the hippie store as I walked down an aisle

does that hippie store have a freak section LOLOLZ  you crack me up, ms addy  :D  mostly because before i was dx'd, i used to make my husband run with me past the "freak food" section of the store.  now i am that freak........  pretty happy i never joked about burn victims or lepers........ :o 

tonight is the 'skinny wednesday' lent and all that at church, so they are making pancake supper.  yah.  i'm not venturing into the kitchen tonight!  luckily, last time i made crepes, i made extra and froze them.  i has bacon :)  and when they ask me what i'm eating ima say 'pancakes'  and they will want some and i'll make that face and say "ooooh....  sorry..........  they're gluten free.  (you wouldn't like them........)  sorryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.........."

Adalaide Mentor

Just to stop this argument before it starts - Liquid Smoke is gluten free - even said so on the container.

I discovered this recently when we decided to make beef jerky. Every possible kind that exists for sale locally is safe so they probably all are. And also, homemade jerky is delicious!

does that hippie store have a freak section LOLOLZ  you crack me up, ms addy  :D  mostly because before i was dx'd, i used to make my husband run with me past the "freak food" section of the store.  now i am that freak........  pretty happy i never joked about burn victims or lepers........ :o

Isn't a hippie store entirely a freak section? We used to make so many jokes when we needed something from one of those stores, and now we shop at them all the time. <_< Still make the jokes though, and for some reason we never lock our doors when we shop there. Because the new age, healthy, eat right, do-gooders aren't the kind of people that would steal stuff out of your car, right? And we both watch Adult Swim, so we've probably both at least laughed at jokes about burn victims and/or lepers. Not sure, my memory isn't so great but I'm almost certain there have been lepers. We may still be screwed. :P

notme Experienced

And we both watch Adult Swim, so we've probably both at least laughed at jokes about burn victims and/or lepers. Not sure, my memory isn't so great but I'm almost certain there have been lepers. We may still be screwed. :P

probly so ^_^  we have a sick sense of humor here - i make inappropriate jokes and my husband laughs at them - (and if i ever see a chimp i am running like hell!!!)  :ph34r:  :lol: 

IrishHeart Veteran

We had a really yummy Smoked turkey and bean soup. Fabulous flavor - slightly spicy and nicely smoky.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2012/10/smoky-turkey-and-black-bean-soup.html

I used a big piece of turkey they called a "turkey tenderloin" but you could probably put a turkey breast in, too. Used frozen corn , onion and frozen spinach - didn't thaw them. I added another can of beans, forgot to pulverize a little before I put the shredded turkey back in. Next time, I would add a can of Great Northern beans toward the end. Maybe put a little colby Jack cheese on top.

I love Stephanie O'Dea's recipes. I even wrote to her to say thanks for sharing so many on her website and she wrote back to say thank you to me--for letting her know I liked them. Very nice gal. :)

I may try this one next.

And K.. I printed the onion crack dip recipe. I've got incoming peeps next week--they will love it.

I went to P F Chang's in Palm Beach Gardens yesterday. My virgin dining experience there. 

J loves Chinese food and as my G F in solidarity partner,

I felt I should take a leap of faith for him.

The waitress was a doll (she and her her hubs are gluten-free--he has UCI). The manager came over when he heard it was my first time and he gave me a spiel about how they take it seriously. Gave me a $10 gift card to use. 

The food was exceptionally good. I am not a big fan of chinese (I do LOVE Thai food) but I wanted Jack to have a meal OUT. We really liked it!  We had "encores" for dinner.

I told the manager that I review for Find me Gluten Free and Trip Advisor. He seemed to like that. The mongolian beef and spicy chicken, pork fried rice and spinach and garlic. YUM

I did not eat the fortune cookie of course, but J opened it for me. It said "One hour spent with good friends is better than 10 spent with strangers"....well, duh. lol

w8in4dave Community Regular

Found this recipe for Tortillas's I think I really want to try it! What do you guys think?

Like corn tortillas, these become pliable when heated. Pop them in the microwave or warm them in a dry skillet before using. If you like crispy edges, add a little oil to the pan when reheating.

INGREDIENTS:

• 3/4 cup yellow split peas
  • 1/4 cup long-grain white rice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup water
  • oil for the pan

DIRECTIONS:

1. Cover the split peas and rice with 2 inches of water. Cover and set aside on the counter overnight.
  2. Drain the peas and rice, then put them into the bowl of a food processor. Add the salt, then process until the mixture is finely chopped, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
  3. With the motor running, gradually pour in ½ cup water. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then continue to process for 3 minutes. The batter should be the consistency of pancake batter (but grainy). If it’s too thick, stir in a spoonful or more of water.
  4. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add a thin layer of oil. Pour in 1/3 cup of the batter, then spread it around with a rubber spatula until you have a 7-inch tortilla. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the tortilla is golden around the edges. Flip and cook 30 seconds to 1 minute more, until bottom side is lightly freckled. Remove from the pan, then repeat the process for the remaining batter.

Yield: 7 torti

This was gross!! 1st it made 3 and it tasted like raw split peas! Blek! 

kareng Grand Master

Thanks! Someone has to be the guinea pig! :)

cahill Collaborator

Tonight is homemade Mac & cheese

with my own made " strawberry ice cream " for dessert .

IrishHeart Veteran

Sorry, hon...I was pretty sure you would find that to be the case, but we do not discourage experimentation on this thread.

Sadly, some things just cannot be "turned into tortillas". Ah well, you tried.  :)

I know you say you cannot have corn, but why can't you make rice flour tortillas?

does something in those cause a problem too? (not sure of where you are in figuring out food

issues)  There are many recipes out there--try googling Jules Gluten Free and there is this one:

http://www.food.com/recipe/rice-flour-tortillas-470772

Edited by IrishHeart
Adalaide Mentor

Thanks! Someone has to be the guinea pig! :)

So true. Unfortunately, not everything comes out as nicely as we'd like. Thankfully, some things come out just perfectly. :)

Tonight will be more tacos. Yum!

There was an incident over the weekend involving a mallet and my left hand, which is my bad side. I've more or less lost the use of my thumb as a thumb. I can't grasp or lift anything with it and the pain has quickly escalated and spread. Thankfully, I am finally getting in to see a pain doctor this month and hopefully will get this with everything else under control. I don't know what I'll do if I can't get back more use of my thumb or lose it altogether. For now I at least still have motion.

LauraTX Rising Star

LOL W8in, sorry you have to be the guinea pig but glad you posted feedback... when I saw recipe that I wondered why the peas weren't cooked.

Yesterday I made chicken broccoli rice casserole, today I made grilled chicken with asparagus and rice.  My george foreman grill seems to have crapped out on me and only the top burner heated up.  Need to look around and order a new one ASAP because I cook on it all the time.  This one lasted a year, but I bought it refurbished so I guess that was the tradeoff for the cheapness.  

Adalaide Mentor

I got a Cuisinart grill instead of a George Foreman when I replaced mine. I picked it up on sale at Costco for something like $60. It has removable plates that reverse and can be used as a griddle if you open it flat. I love it and use it all the time, it's my favorite thing for so much. You can also purchase waffle inserts for it. I think those may be my Christmas present this year. B)

Also, I just about had a heart attack when I saw it on their website. They list it for $100! I've never loved my Costco membership more. :wub:

http://www.cuisinart.com/products/grills/gr-4n.html

LauraTX Rising Star

Oooh I like that one!  If you cook something that a lot of fat comes off of, like burgers, does it drain off the fat into something or a certain spot?

kareng Grand Master

I got a Cuisinart grill instead of a George Foreman when I replaced mine. I picked it up on sale at Costco for something like $60. It has removable plates that reverse and can be used as a griddle if you open it flat. I love it and use it all the time, it's my favorite thing for so much. You can also purchase waffle inserts for it. I think those may be my Christmas present this year. B)

Also, I just about had a heart attack when I saw it on their website. They list it for $100! I've never loved my Costco membership more. :wub:

http://www.cuisinart.com/products/grills/gr-4n.html

Oooh I like that one!  If you cook something that a lot of fat comes off of, like burgers, does it drain off the fat into something or a certain spot?

This is my question, too?  It looks like it has a hole in the back and the grease would just spill out onto the counter.  Some of the gluten-free grills don't seem to have a good grease catcher, either.

w8in4dave Community Regular

LOL W8in, sorry you have to be the guinea pig but glad you posted feedback... when I saw recipe that I wondered why the peas weren't cooked.

Yesterday I made chicken broccoli rice casserole, today I made grilled chicken with asparagus and rice.  My george foreman grill seems to have crapped out on me and only the top burner heated up.  Need to look around and order a new one ASAP because I cook on it all the time.  This one lasted a year, but I bought it refurbished so I guess that was the tradeoff for the cheapness.  

No prob! :) I had another lil recipe for bread. It had Almond Flour, egg and a sweetner or garlic, and water. You put it in a cup and microwave it. Reminded me of the 3-2-1 cake. Anyhow do you think I can find the recipe?? Nope! I loved that bread.