This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

IrishHeart Veteran

Local Oven buns are the BEST, they beat udis and others by far, and don't need toasting.  They may have been those.  They are all I eat.   http://www.localoven.com/html/our_products.html

Those look good, Laura--like the ones my friend with the gluten-free bakery in NY makes. 

I wonder how they do with shipping to FL...looks like they do it with dry ice. So, is it worth the cost for me to give them a try?

Do you give them 5 stars? If I'm going to add more weight to MY buns,  I want it to be for a 5- star bun. ^_^

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

SMRI Collaborator

Those look yumm Laura.  I bookmarked the page.  I think I'll try some of those.  The one I had was very large, the burger patties were bigger than my palm and the bun fit and it had poppy seeds.  

SMRI, don't think buying 50 at a time will work for me  :P I don't even eat 50 in a year, maybe two years  :lol:

Colleen

I probably wouldn't eat that many either, but I'm going to share a box with another gluten-free family :D.

Those look good, Laura--like the ones my friend with the gluten-free bakery in NY makes. 

I wonder how they do with shipping to FL...looks like they do it with dry ice. So, is it worth the cost for me to give them a try?

Do you give them 5 stars? If I'm going to add more weight to MY buns,  I want it to be for a 5- star bun. ^_^

I was wondering about shipping too.  Let me know if you do order and how they survive the trip!

LauraTX Rising Star

I buy them locally, they have them in a few stores around here since they are made in this area.  I absolutely rate them 5 stars.  They are great just thawed out, and taste wonderful when toasted on the grill.  I feed them to gluten eaters and no one ever says anything unless I bring it up.  I routinely buy the hamburger and hot dog buns... the hot dog ones come uncut so you can do how you like and even make sandwiches out of them.  The pita pockets are also really good, I like to put pizza ingredients in them.  

Adalaide Mentor

I wish I could get good buns around here. I'm "stuck" with Udi's though. <_< Nothing really wrong with them exactly, and I can get them in one of the stores not frozen and they are better that way. But they're just so big and thick and they stick to your guts after you eat them. Just too much for a burger. They're good to slice and use for garlic bread though.

I was making my orange chicken, but it turns out that my husband brought me a london broil to make for dinner. So the chicken is put off for a night so I can eat the cow while it's still fresh. I usually do some sort of seasoning, fry it a little then throw it in the oven for a few minutes so my husband won't complain that it's too "moo-y" or something. I think maybe some fresh corn and some string beans will go perfectly with it tonight.

I'm also thinking I have just enough time if I hurry off to the kitchen to make some horchata to go with it. It's such a perfect summery drink when it's ice cold.

IrishHeart Veteran

I buy them locally, they have them in a few stores around here since they are made in this area.  I absolutely rate them 5 stars.  They are great just thawed out, and taste wonderful when toasted on the grill.  I feed them to gluten eaters and no one ever says anything unless I bring it up.  I routinely buy the hamburger and hot dog buns... the hot dog ones come uncut so you can do how you like and even make sandwiches out of them.  The pita pockets are also really good, I like to put pizza ingredients in them.  

Thanks for the review!! :)  I may give them a try after I return from my trip north next week. 

SMRI Collaborator

Grilled steaks, potatoes and veges tonight.  I've been on a protein spree today.

LauraTX Rising Star

For lunch we had hotdogs and green beans.  For dinner it will be some lasagna I froze for a lazy day.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SMRI Collaborator

I'm making rotisserie chicken tonight.  I'm just making thighs, not a whole chicken though--it's just the two of us :D.  My new gluten-free toaster oven has a rotisserie and boy is that handy!!  I'm going to try a beef roast on that next week I think too.  I have to finish cleaning my cupboards and then make a grocery store run.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Sprouted lentil stir fry for us today! :)

GottaSki Mentor

Last night was turkey meatloaf and bacon brussel sprouts.

Tonight is rosemary chicken with pasta (zu-noodles for me) and broccoli

Tomorrow is some crazy baked cheesy chicken nuggets with sweet potato fries and some sort of veggie.

Adalaide Mentor

I made a pot of brown rice last night. I'm going to make some rice pudding and use the rest for some fried rice to go with our orange chicken for supper.

I'm going to have a slow week in the sewing room, but I have a busy week to catch up making boo boo bunnies. That means I get to spend many MANY hours curled up in bed in front of the tv folding and sewing. Definitely something I'm all for.

Adalaide Mentor

The orange chicken was good. My husband was happy to point out that mine is better and I was happy to point out that mine takes 2 hours to make, not 15 minutes.

Never thought this would happen, and I would never EVER admit it to him but I'm sort of a little jealous tonight of my little brother. (Also, he doesn't know I still call him my little brother.) He's at Sturgis and tonight he's enjoying the Zac Brown band playing things like Metallica and Pink Floyd classics. There's a little bit of a green eyed monster in me, but I'm happy he's at least having a good time. Not something I think I'll ever do since I'm not bike people but it sure seems like a good time.

SMRI Collaborator

I'm making BLT's tonight I think.  I haven't had any all summer, tomatoes are late this year!

Adalaide Mentor

I'm going to do something with the leftover london broil tonight. Not sure what exactly thought. Tonight is the recognition ceremony for the college so I'm subbing for the night class so I won't do anything fancy. Maybe just make a nice sauce and sandwiches and a salad or something. We're going to the garden center in a bit to go pick up pickling cucumbers to make refrigerator pickles. It's one of our favorite times of year. Hopefully they'll have something else I can grab to go with my supper.

GF Lover Rising Star

Having Wine.... :D  :D  :D

Bottoms Up Ladies  ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

Having Wine.... :D  :D  :D

Bottoms Up Ladies  ;)

While I raise my glass to you as you celebrate your good news, may I suggest some protein and carbs with that wine?

lol

cheese and quackers, perhaps? 

xxoo

SMRI Collaborator

I had a margarita :D.  I had coupons for Schar products so I got some of their bread for our BLT's....not my favorite gluten-free food so far....the Udi's we had was much better.  I'm going to try the Schar with peanut butter for breakfast and see how that goes.

GottaSki Mentor

I had a margarita :D.  I had coupons for Schar products so I got some of their bread for our BLT's....not my favorite gluten-free food so far....the Udi's we had was much better.  I'm going to try the Schar with peanut butter for breakfast and see how that goes.

Try Glutino (freezer), Canyon Bakehouse (fresh bread section) and our new favorite Three Bakers (freezer). Three Bakers even have a "rye"... Had to try a slice of that myself ;)

Dinner tonight is some oven crispy chicken tender thingys. If they are a hit I'll share here. Also have the other half of baked beans I made in KFG last week back in KFG for past couple hours. Something green will be diced to join in the party.

I'm celebrating Colleen...started with Pinot and am now on to Cab. Oh hey...the chicken strips have both cheese and crackers...darn we need supersonic delivery drones so I can send some to our gluten-free Lover :)

kareng Grand Master

Try Glutino (freezer), Canyon Bakehouse (fresh bread section) and our new favorite Three Bakers (freezer). Three Bakers even have a "rye"... Had to try a slice of that myself ;)

Dinner tonight is some oven crispy chicken tender thingys. If they are a hit I'll share here. Also have the other half of baked beans I made in KFG last week back in KFG for past couple hours. Something green will be diced to join in the party.

I'm celebrating Colleen...started with Pinot and am now on to Cab. Oh hey...the chicken strips have both cheese and crackers...darn we need supersonic delivery drones so I can send some to our gluten-free Lover :)

What crackers did you use? Will expect a full report - even if they suck! Lol

GottaSki Mentor

It's trash night here...may never know. Ran by a new store we have here (well been there for about a year)...grocery outlet....tons of gluten-free items that I think failed to get picked up by chains....I took a bite of one and wasn't half bad...square brown rice cracker that was bulkier...hmm no puffier than most rice crackers.

GottaSki Mentor

Wasn't noteworthy ... Back to celebrating Colleen I go ;)

Cheers!

Adalaide Mentor

I didn't find anything for supper at the garden center, but they had shiro plums. I'd never heard of them, but they were the most beautiful yellow color so I bought a small basket. I ate one as soon as we climbed in the Jeep and were pulling out of the parking lot and I quickly realized I should have bought all 3 baskets. I ate 5 on the way home and 5 more before I went to work! They're sugary sweet, melt in your mouth and the tart skin is just the perfect balance. I'm definitely going back tomorrow! As a bonus, my husband doesn't like plums so they're all for me. ^_^

We stopped for milk and I found Udi's chocolate muffins marked down. So dessert tonight is a warm muffin with vanilla ice cream. What's for dessert is definitely a more important topic than what's for supper. I decided to just throw the meat in the oven in some broth sliced thin for sandwiches and I'll make a veggie of some sort when it's almost ready. Just enough leftover meat to make a pasta steak salad tomorrow.

I missed whatever the good news is, but I'm assuming it's awesome. So I'll have my muffin as a toast to your good news. :)

GottaSki Mentor

Desert here is apricot dump cake...had a bunch of apricots about to go bad so I threw them in a pan ;)

Men will likely whip some cream with a bit of sugar and vanilla...yep, taught them well!

user001 Contributor

Desert here is apricot dump cake...had a bunch of apricots about to go bad so I threw them in a pan ;)

Men will likely whip some cream with a bit of sugar and vanilla...yep, taught them well!

Everytime I see that dump cakes infomercial, I become a giggling five year old. I just can't keep it together, something in the way she says it. I was in walgreens the other day and I saw the dumpcakes book next to a package of fiber one.. I lost my mind with laughter.

kareng Grand Master

Mine LOVE the stuff that squirts out of a can.  lol