Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat
3 3

9,867 posts in this topic

Just a quick pop-in for some very important news.

Tomorrow is International Bacon Day!

4513b79921bc.gif  whooohooooo!! 

Ads by Google:

ohhhhh, I'll have to get some!!

I had french fries for dinner---simple foods :D.  My stomach is still funky feeling.  I'm wondering if it's my multi-vitamin??  It says gluten-free but I wonder if it's just the vitamins' itself.  Who knows.

ohhhhh, I'll have to get some!!

I had french fries for dinner---simple foods :D.  My stomach is still funky feeling.  I'm wondering if it's my multi-vitamin??  It says gluten-free but I wonder if it's just the vitamins' itself.  Who knows.

I can't do the pill for of calcium or multi. I have to do the stupid gummies. For some reason, they sit in my stomach better. And I have to make sure they don't have any of those sugar alcohols, too.

Hubs picked up a pound of beautiful thick cut BACON yesterday.  BRING IT ON  :D  :D

Pizza and Wine for dinner.....was celebrating  :D

I made a Chebe crust cheese pizza tonight!

And red wine is good for the digestive system.......

WHO SAID BACON?!!!! I Could tell Karen, it made me actually log on here... haha!!  I want bacon now!!!

Been very busy with work, juggling health conditions, nightmare commute... but 2 out of 7 weeks knocked out, I can make it!!!  Very tiring, but after all that is done I will be working from home so I shall trudge through.  This weekend we are going to make fried chicken and fried pickles... every couple of months we will break out the fryer and have a heyday since I can't get fried pickles anywhere and they are the best thing you can put in your mouth.  Ate a lot of grilled chicken and grilled chicken salads this week since it is so easy and quick.  I think I made burgers one night and accidentally left my bun in the toaster too long so I just had the patty, ha.  When I got home tonight me and the hubs made chicken and biscuit dumplings with gluten-free bisquik.

Oh, and I tried to get myself a dinner out on Thursday.  There is a gluten-free bakery near my work and I asked them where good lunch places were around there.  They said the sub shop across the street can do stuff Celiac safe.  I went there after work before sitting in two hours of traffic so I wouldn't starve.  Dunno who the heck served them but I must have gotten the wrong employee.  Guy is acting like a tool, doesn't know what is gluten-free and what isn't, then uses the line, "I mean, it's turkey, why the hell wouldn't it be gluten-free?"  So I bailed.  Then I sat in my car and made sure my one star review on find me gluten free warning Celiacs to stay away had gone through before I drove off.  LOL.  There was no where else to eat other than Wendys and I associate that with terrible road trips so I prefer not to eat there if I am not starving to death, so I drove home hungry :(

I just looked up the restaurants for leg 1 of my trip...not even a McDonald's in town??  They have Walmart so I guess I'll have to eat Walmart food....

I did a search for gluten-free resturants, one popped up, a pizza place.  They do have a gluten-free menu, it is 3 pasta dishes and says "let us know an hour in advance if you want gluten-free pasta"...kind of thinking that a small pizza place is going to have CC issues even if they do have gluten-free pasta...

I just looked up the restaurants for leg 1 of my trip...not even a McDonald's in town??  They have Walmart so I guess I'll have to eat Walmart food....

I did a search for gluten-free resturants, one popped up, a pizza place.  They do have a gluten-free menu, it is 3 pasta dishes and says "let us know an hour in advance if you want gluten-free pasta"...kind of thinking that a small pizza place is going to have CC issues even if they do have gluten-free pasta...

Good thing about having a walmart is if it is a walmart with groceries you should be able to find enough to feed yourself half decently.  Much safer than a fast food place with no gluten-free menu.  If it is not a super walmart and just a regular, you still should be able to find enough snacky type items to fill your belly.  Or of course, tote your own.  If you can find the phone number to that pizza place, give them a call and ask them how they prepare the gluten-free stuff.  Asking for one hour notice for pasta makes me think that they may be putting a fresh pot of water on to boil, etc, which gives a good feeling but of course still need to check.  When you call just be super sweet and nice and make sure they know you are their only option in town, they may go out of their way to help you.  I think a hot meal of any form can be nice even if you can't really pick.

Last night we made Chebe pizza on a whim.  I used no cheese in the crust like Karen recommended, and I prefer it that way now.  Nothing better than having your husband knead the dough for you.  Hehe.

Good thing about having a walmart is if it is a walmart with groceries you should be able to find enough to feed yourself half decently.  Much safer than a fast food place with no gluten-free menu.  If it is not a super walmart and just a regular, you still should be able to find enough snacky type items to fill your belly.  Or of course, tote your own.  If you can find the phone number to that pizza place, give them a call and ask them how they prepare the gluten-free stuff.  Asking for one hour notice for pasta makes me think that they may be putting a fresh pot of water on to boil, etc, which gives a good feeling but of course still need to check.  When you call just be super sweet and nice and make sure they know you are their only option in town, they may go out of their way to help you.  I think a hot meal of any form can be nice even if you can't really pick.

Last night we made Chebe pizza on a whim.  I used no cheese in the crust like Karen recommended, and I prefer it that way now.  Nothing better than having your husband knead the dough for you.  Hehe.

I had Chebe crust, too!

I had Chebe crust, too!

We did too. ^_^ A chebe pizza with sauteed onions, mushrooms and BACON.

P.S. . I only tried the optional cheese in the crust once, I prefer it without. 

Tonight will be equally simple. Burgers & fries. Still not very hungry, but the hubs has rebounded

and he's a hungry dude now. lol   He can make burgers on the grill for us. He grabbed some Udi rolls

and I can handle the extras. Maybe toss a salad. 

I hope I feel 100% better soon.  Sick is not much fun.  :( waaa. 

YO ADDY: A friend has suggested I tell you about selling your homemade goodies on Etsy. I don't know much about it, but I am sure you do? 

Forgot to report about the stir fry spicy peanut sauce. It turned out really really good!

Tonight - brats on the grill, fruit, cheesy corn & oven fries.

Tomorrow night - PF Chang's!

I have been completely cleaning out and re- organizing my kitchen. With the boys off to college, I have a cabinet that is mostly empty. I moved the gluten baking sheets in there so I can put my gluten-free ones in the rack. Hubs still eats a little gluten - mainly sandwiches or crackers or cereal but he never needs a cookie sheet for frozen pizza or chicken nuggets! But they are there in his gluten cabinet if he needs them.

Left over Pizza!  Yummmm

I made a Chebe crust cheese pizza tonight!

And red wine is good for the digestive system.......

And it was a beautiful pizza indeed!

Thanks to Karen's heads up...all the men and I all had a couple slices of bacon for breakfast...we were all up and out at different times, but a special day for bacon is a special day indeed.

Hubs just got home from riding around the county and is now making a BLT.

Dinner will be steak with bacon topped something or other.

Can someone pull out the Bacon Day official rules...I think if national bacon day falls on a holiday weekend it automatically becomes Bacon Weekend!

Can someone pull out the Bacon Day official rules...I think if national bacon day falls on a holiday weekend it automatically becomes Bacon Weekend!

I've got bacon for our burgers too ;)  and...bacon for brunch tomorrow...I say why not!  ^_^

Of course it can be "bacon weekend"..!! We make our own rules here. Much like our birthdays...we can't celebrate something so important on just one day!

4513b79921bc.gif

Sounds like a plan:)

4513b79921bc.gif4513b79921bc.gif

I keep almost setting up an Etsy shop. Especially now that I'm crocheting My Little Pony hats. ^_^ But shipping for the heating pads is outrageous so I keep talking myself back out of it but I need to buckle down and just do it in the next two weeks while I have a weekend "off" this coming weekend if I can find time. I SOLD OUT of long heating pads today!!! So I need to sew sew sew. I need to make food like beef jerky, granola and bread for sandwiches for comic con, plus 3 straight days of early morning to hit the train and not getting back on the train til after 10 at night is gonna kill me so I'll be sleeping that off for a few days. And I'm waiting to hear back from a buyer from a local 3 store "chain" of hippie stores for a possible order. I don't know where I'm going to find the stamina or time but I need to from somewhere. I'm seriously rethinking this whole coffee ban thing. Seriously. <_< The rule is stupid anyway imo.

Anywho... BACON!!! Supper is eggs, bacon and I plan on making english muffins so we'll see how that works out. It wouldn't be right not to have bacon tonight. :D

4513b79921bc.gif

Making baked chicken, hash browns and some veges.  I got bacon today but going to have it tomorrow with some french toast.  We have some Udi's cinnamon raisin bread and will make the french toast with that.  

I keep almost setting up an Etsy shop. Especially now that I'm crocheting My Little Pony hats. ^_^ But shipping for the heating pads is outrageous so I keep talking myself back out of it but I need to buckle down and just do it in the next two weeks while I have a weekend "off" this coming weekend if I can find time. I SOLD OUT of long heating pads today!!! So I need to sew sew sew. I need to make food like beef jerky, granola and bread for sandwiches for comic con, plus 3 straight days of early morning to hit the train and not getting back on the train til after 10 at night is gonna kill me so I'll be sleeping that off for a few days. And I'm waiting to hear back from a buyer from a local 3 store "chain" of hippie stores for a possible order. I don't know where I'm going to find the stamina or time but I need to from somewhere. I'm seriously rethinking this whole coffee ban thing. Seriously. <_< The rule is stupid anyway imo.

Anywho... BACON!!! Supper is eggs, bacon and I plan on making english muffins so we'll see how that works out. It wouldn't be right not to have bacon tonight. :D

4513b79921bc.gif

Have you thought about selling the heating pads with a zipper?  Then shipping them empty and they can fill with rice or whatever?  Not sure if that would work.  Do you make ones for ice?  We have these ones with a sealed bag of water in them.  You freeze the water and put it in the cloth things.  Its held in by velcro.  And has straps with velcro to hold it in place.

Have you thought about selling the heating pads with a zipper?  Then shipping them empty and they can fill with rice or whatever?  Not sure if that would work.  Do you make ones for ice?  We have these ones with a sealed bag of water in them.  You freeze the water and put it in the cloth things.  Its held in by velcro.  And has straps with velcro to hold it in place.

Zippers and velcro would melt in the microwave. Or... metal zippers BZZZZTTTT!!!!! Bwahahaha. I've had to walk away from some super adorable flannels because of glitter. :( But the buckwheat in the pads works just as well as an ice pack as they do for a heating pad. Just keep them in the freezer and microwave them if you want a heating pad! Or I tell people to buy two. :lol: But my signature "thing" is the buckwheat because of how much better it is than other crappy things they can be filled with. It stays toasty longer. I think though I'm just going to have to go with the flat rate shipping and be like dude, it's $12.35... for up to 7 so buy LOTS! B) (I may be a little evil deep down inside, I don't think I hide it particularly well though.)

I better go get my butt to the kitchen if I'm gonna have those english muffins ready in time for supper! And I have like 9 pounds of red and black grapes to wash and freeze. Maybe a bit more than I needed to buy? :ph34r:

I was thinking plastic zippers - but maybe they would melt. Velcro for cold bags.

I think those crocheted hats would sell well on etsy.

Wow! English muffins are surprisingly easy to make. Now for the hardest part of making them. Waiting for them to rise. Very hard for someone with the patience of a toddler.

Is it time yet?

Aren't these the most beautiful thing in the world? Maybe not having an english muffin in 3 years has simply made me crazy, but the 20 minute wait to pop one open after taking them out of the oven is KILLING ME!

b6da3177-a7a3-489c-a0da-1145fd6903b5_zps

Aren't these the most beautiful thing in the world? Maybe not having an english muffin in 3 years has simply made me crazy, but the 20 minute wait to pop one open after taking them out of the oven is KILLING ME!

b6da3177-a7a3-489c-a0da-1145fd6903b5_zps

Oooooo, pretty!

Oooooo, pretty!

D:  I am so hungry for something fresh baked now...... Hmmmmm what do I have in my pantry?  Gonna make tacos later.