This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

lizard00 Enthusiast

Liz, is she really one year old??? You totally MUST update your pic!!!

She'll be in 2 in September :ph34r:

I suppose I should.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

sa1937 Community Regular

Carol Fenster's recipe blend (which I'm pretty sure she created using Bette Hagman's ratios) is:

1 1/2 C sorghum flour

1 1/2 C potato starch

1 C tapioca starch

Here's the recipe: (I think she does have it posted somewhere on one of her sites, but I'll save you the trouble.)

1 T yeast

2/3 C warm milk

2 1/2 t sugar (you don't have to put the sugar in, I do it either way)

1/2 C sorghum blend

2/3 c potato starch

2 t xanthan

1 t onion powder ( I use garlic)

1 t italian seasoning ( I always omit this one...)

3/4 t salt

1 T olive oil

2 t apple cider vinegar

The official recipe says to proof the yeast for 5 min in another bowl. (I don't do this either, I throw it all in at the same time)

Put all ingredients into a food processor, and blend until a ball forms.

Grease a 12-inch nonstick pan. Place dough on pan. Sprinkle with flour and pat out. Sprinkle as much flour as you need to, as the dough will be very sticky.

Bake at 425 for 10 min on the bottom rack. The pizza is now ready to be topped. When it is topped and you are ready to bake again, bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes on the middle rack. (I always make 2 so I swap them out half way through.)

Thanks so much, Liz! I will try it to see how it compares with the other recipes I've used. And I do have both sorghum flour and potato starch.

love2travel Mentor

Pork Shoulder Braised in Spicy Sweet Balsamic Sauce

Baked Onion Rings

Buttermilk Chive Smashed Potatoes

Garden Peas with Crispy Sage

Am considering making pavlova with basil simple syrup for dessert.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Lemon pepper Chicken, Mixed green salad and fruit salad.

sa1937 Community Regular

I just threw chicken in the oven and I'll have red potatoes and yellow squash. Now that's looking a lot better than last week! :D Wonder if I can keep it up all week. :P I've been in a terrible rut lately. And fresh blueberries later this evening.

zimmer Rookie

Salsa Chicken & Bean Soup with sour cream & cilantro

Grilled zucchini & corn on the cob

Fresh blackberries, watermelon, cantaloupe

love2travel Mentor

Don't know where you are located but I have a business plan written for a gluten free restaurant... :) In California of course when I get to move there. Wanna be partners? LOL :D

Consider it done! All we have to do is sell our house, ask my husband to quit his awesome job and leave the country. I have a feeling that the climate in California would be slightly better than ours in Alberta! :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

I do too! I love the marrow! My dear BF gives his bones to our beloved dog, which puts me in a quandry. I just don't say anything. How could he respect me if I asked him to wait, i want to have that marrow before you give it to that poor decrepid dog? It kills me.

I was out of lemons yesterday :lol: but there are leftovers and I always have fresh parsely (grow it on the front porch) and can't think of a time I've let myself run out of garlic.

I don't know if I should do leftovers or change it up. What do you think?

At first I was going to say I never tried osso bucco with lamb, but I have cooked various cuts of lamb in the PC with the same herbs & veggies. I never made gremolata for lamb though, will have to give it a whirl.

Our dessert tonight was great!. Pototo vodka, ice, a little pineapple juice and the remainder of a seedless watermelon whirled up in the blender, then frozen for 3 hours. (I've read that watermelon is very good for people who suffer from autoimmune diseases.) It was good for me tonight. :)

Your marrow story is both funny and painful - I understand what you mean! Why give it to a dog when a human is perfectly willing to have it? Although our precious dog who died 1 1/2 years ago was like our daughter - I would have given her marrow, foie gras - whatever she wanted. I spoiled her a wee bit. :lol:

What did you decide to do for tonight? Leftovers? Sorry to get back to you too late...

That dessert sounds incredible! Was it sort of like a granita? Did you freeze it and scrape it with a fork or did it freeze well without scraping?

Marilyn R Community Regular

Your marrow story is both funny and painful - I understand what you mean! Why give it to a dog when a human is perfectly willing to have it? Although our precious dog who died 1 1/2 years ago was like our daughter - I would have given her marrow, foie gras - whatever she wanted. I spoiled her a wee bit. :lol:

What did you decide to do for tonight? Leftovers? Sorry to get back to you too late...

That dessert sounds incredible! Was it sort of like a granita? Did you freeze it and scrape it with a fork or did it freeze well without scraping?

The dog is an 11 year old Dobie and is treated like a queen here. As well she should, she killed a 3' coral snake on our screened in back porch a week ago.

I haven't used the leftovers yet. We had grilled ribs, romaine salad with a garlic viniagrette and roasted new potatos last night.

The dessert from last night seriously hurt me today. I tried UDI's gluten-free granola in the PB Cookie recipe and I was really sick today, couldn't go to work. I don't blame it on UDI's, it's just me.

Today I ate a mango. Some nuts. And my left over dessert (which I had to scrape with a fork tonight, but it was sort of like a thin sorbet when frozen for 3 hours.)

Maybe I'll make soup out of the leftovers. I'm not feeling inspired, but don't waste food.

Maybe thinly slice meat spread with horseradish sauce, shredded carrots and minced celery in a lettuce wrap?

I've got a corned beef brisket in the slow coooker with red onions, red potatoes, baby carrots, celery and garlic cloves. It's already smelling good. I'll toss some shredded cabbage in the last few hours of cooking.

sb2178 Enthusiast

nachos!

red hot blues, salsa, pinto beans, sweet potato, garlic scapes, and ... dum dum dum cheese (not an entirely sensible decision but I wanted it and decided to just go for it. Maybe today is the day when it will digest perfectly.)

Grilled shrimp kabobs with onion and mango chunks (could substitue any fresh fruit slices) and greek olives. It ended up sweet and sour and savory, a nice surprise (just used what I had and hoped it would be edible, and it was really good!)

Served the kabobs with brown rice pilaf.

sa1937 Community Regular

My dinner was easy...a hamburger, fresh green beans and a twice-baked potato (one of the few things I occasionally pick up from my local grocery store deli). I'm about to have an Edy's Strawberry Fruit Bar.

alex11602 Collaborator

Tonight we had tacos kind of, instead of using shells we used a baked potato. Very simple yet comforting in a way.

Marinated grilled chicken, sweet potatoes and salad.

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

it was a crazy evening at our house, so i picked up Wendy's... for me, i got the chili, then when I got home I added cheese to the chili, and also cooked up a baked red potato, to which i added margarin & cheese :)

Jestgar Rising Star

rice cakes with pineapple and melted cheese

We had rice macaroni and tomatoes.

raesue Rookie

I'm so glad this thread is here. I was way too lazy to cook before gluten free (like bce?).

I'm making this brown rice pilaf with prosciutto and sun dried tomatoes from the gluten free recipes android app. I've tried the broiled citrus & herb fish recipe from there, and it turned out great, and easy! I couldn't find prosciutto, so I just bought some other ham, hope that works out. I haven't yet thought of what to put over it, might just consider it a dish in itself. Summertime changes my appetite, so the rice pilaf itself with some raw veggies on the side kinda sounds better than a heavy, meaty meal.

Tonight I'm planning on chicken burgers and sweet potato fries.

love2travel Mentor

speaking of pizza :) does anyone have a really good white pizza recipe??

I remember years ago when I lived in Philly a pizza shop there serving the BEST white pizza ever. The sauce was like a garlicky creamy white sauce.

Would this suffice? It is delicious. And easy peasy.

http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/14205/white-pizza

love2travel Mentor

Shovel? :blink: In exchange for food? :unsure: Darn, I never thought of your terrible winters :ph34r: ...I only thought about gourmet food!!! :D I don't do winter, even here...merely put up with it while waiting for spring. :lol:

Yes, so far this is my favorite crust. And I recently bought 3 five-lb. bags of her flour. :P The only other pizza crust I've tried is from Annalise Roberts' cookbook. That one's actually pretty good, too, but I think I prefer Jules'. I guess I bought a pack of Glutino crusts ages ago but what's pizza if you're trying to avoid cheese. I'm still using Lactaid milk, too, as I don't want to push it.

You'll have to let us know how your new pizza crust is...always, always looking for new recipes, especially for bread-type baked goods. Somehow I always feel it's such a challenge. And it usually is!

OK, upon reconsideration, you can move here without shoveling our snow for six months of the year. Maybe we could just make pizza together instead!! :P

love2travel Mentor

Sparkling Roasted Vanilla Lemonade

The Real Greek Salad

Brandy Deviled Eggs

It's hot today. Ick.

sa1937 Community Regular

OK, upon reconsideration, you can move here without shoveling our snow for six months of the year. Maybe we could just make pizza together instead!! :P

That sounds a whole lot better and much more fun!!! :D

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Fresh greenbeans with small red potatos, roasted lemon /thyme chicken with sliced avocado! Then for a snack left over avocado mashed with lemon and lime juice and those baked kettle chips I cannot get away from!