Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat
3 3

9,867 posts in this topic

I made Chili yesterday.  Shopped at a new grocery store that was mostly "organic" foods.  Chili was horrible!!  I have to go back to my not organic stuff :D.  The seasonings I bought were bland and just awful.  Good thing I made a small batch.  I doctored it up some after I tasted it so it's ok but just not the same.

Making roast beef and mashed potatoes today.

Ads by Google:

Well my apple pie turned out very well, I used mcintosh apples and this filling with the KAF gluten-free pie crust :http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/apple-pie-recipe.  Turned out excellent.  This week on the menu is breakfast for dinner, chicken stir fry with veggies, chicken broccoli alfredo, grilled chicken with roasted potatoes and green beans, and tomorrow will be an easy pizza night.  I love those freschetta pizzas.  Thursday I am going to do a pot roast in the slow cooker so we will have plenty of leftovers after that.  

Karen, the spices in that stew look really interesting, I bet it was good.  Gonna bookmark to try myself, I like cumin.

I was home for a few days and I don't know what my hubs did while I was gone but I spent more time in the bathroom than not.  I'm on the road again and my system has settled down.  When I'm back home I think I have to start all over and clean the kitchen and such again.  I am NOT happy.  I know he brought out our old toaster and I had to clean that up but I can't figure out why it was an ongoing problem after that.  Maybe some of the food I got at the Organic place was subject to CC and not labeled as such??  Frustrating!!

I did find a restaurant here that has good gluten-free practices and had some mac and cheese last night.  It was really good and gluten-free :D.

We are expecting a high of 8 degrees today...yes, that's 8 degrees Fahrenheit! So...I'm making a crock pot roast with veggies, mashed potatoes and corn bread. Going to try to stay warm!

Putting a roast beef in the crock pot for later today.  I just put it in with carrots and then I make mashed potatoes and gravy when we eat it.  Leftovers make great BBQ shredded beef.  

Salmon, baked sweet potato and zucchini sautéed in coconut oil. This is my Friday go to dinner now. I haven't figured out a pizza that I love...Friday night used to be pizza night.

Salad and baked pasta.

My pasta bake was a mix of different kinds. I made it with soybean pasta, chickpea rotini, and corn lasagna cuts.

Chili in the crock pot and baking corn bread to go with it.

Tonight I'm making coconut flour crusted chicken tenders, a tossed salad and roasted sweet potatoes, beets and carrots.

Crock pot Italian meatballs, gluten free noodles, a green veggie of some sort and garlic bread.

Tonight is chicken and dumplings!

Tonight is chicken and dumplings!

Would you share your recipe for chicken and dumplings?  That is something I dearly miss!

Would you share your recipe for chicken and dumplings?  That is something I dearly miss!

Sure!  I use this recipe, with double the amount of dumplings, some extra broth and extra veggies. http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/gluten-free-chicken-and-dumplings/dac34321-1834-4357-b5ee-2e273fabab53

It is basically drop biscuits, but has the same great taste so it is good to me.

Now that I have my stove working again I am going to make one of my famous bacon egg and cheese sandwiches. Schar bread untoasted, smeared with LOTS of butter. An over easy egg with melted extra sharp white cheddar. Two (unless I splurge and have three) strips of bacon cooked very crisp and crumbled on top of the melted cheese. Then I'll turn the sandwich upside down so I can peek at where the yolk is. I'll eat around the edges and be VERY careful when I get near the yolk. When I do get to the yolk I'll tip it up and take a tiny bite so the yolk doesn't explode. Rather gravity will assist it into my mouth.

You have to build these carefully. If you don't crumble the bacon, a bite might put pressure on the yolk and break it prematurely. And of course if you don't put the bacon on top of the melted cheese it'll fall out. If you toast the bread it'll be too hard and break the yolk. Lots of experimenting went into this complex recipe. :lol:  :lol:

But seriously, I am having so much fun with food now that I can eat so many "new" things.

Now that I have my stove working again I am going to make one of my famous bacon egg and cheese sandwiches. Schar bread untoasted, smeared with LOTS of butter. An over easy egg with melted extra sharp white cheddar. Two (unless I splurge and have three) strips of bacon cooked very crisp and crumbled on top of the melted cheese. Then I'll turn the sandwich upside down so I can peek at where the yolk is. I'll eat around the edges and be VERY careful when I get near the yolk. When I do get to the yolk I'll tip it up and take a tiny bite so the yolk doesn't explode. Rather gravity will assist it into my mouth.

You have to build these carefully. If you don't crumble the bacon, a bite might put pressure on the yolk and break it prematurely. And of course if you don't put the bacon on top of the melted cheese it'll fall out. If you toast the bread it'll be too hard and break the yolk. Lots of experimenting went into this complex recipe. :lol:  :lol:

But seriously, I am having so much fun with food now that I can eat so many "new" things.

barty, i am sitting here smiling at your recent posts :)  have a fabulous time with your 'new' foods!!!!  :D

we have the kitchen emptied out and are waiting on the guy to come and install the NEW KITCHEN FLOOR !!!  i am excited and he is LATE!!!!  if we have to move all this crap again, i am going to freak out....... <_<   

so, probly having a sammich for dinner, tonight.   :huh:

Dijon herb pork chops, buttered noodles, tossed salad and some sort of roasted veggie.

I hope some of the newbies who are afraid they will never eat anything good again are reading this thread. What wonderful sounding meals! I confess, I do come here for inspiration when I am out of ideas. Y'all haven't let me down yet!

Steaks (and salmon for my meat allergic kid), roasted brussel sprouts with cranberries and baked potatoes. I found the brussel sprout recipe on Pinterest so I haven't tried it yet.

We had Thanksgiving yesterday at our house.  We had smoked turkey, crockpot scalloped potatoes, cheesy corn, corn bread, spinach with bacon, gingered carrots, cranberry - all gluten-free.  Then my sis brought gluteny pies for everyone.  this is OK because we clear the other food away and it is one less thing for me to make.  I decided I wanted Boozy Pudding - so that is what I made for me.

We had Thanksgiving yesterday at our house.  We had smoked turkey, crockpot scalloped potatoes, cheesy corn, corn bread, spinach with bacon, gingered carrots, cranberry - all gluten-free.  Then my sis brought gluteny pies for everyone.  this is OK because we clear the other food away and it is one less thing for me to make.  I decided I wanted Boozy Pudding - so that is what I made for me.

I have a small gluten free apple pie in the freezer for me :D

Ah yes, Thanksgiving prep time!  I should have tried to get an invite to Karens house... lol. Making easy stuff in the lead up to Thursday at my house this year... today I am eating an Aldi gluten-free frozen lasagna. Tomorrow starts prep, Wednesday is pie day and other make ahead stuff, and Thursday is the day we stuff ourselves. I am making turkey breast roasts instead of a whole turkey.  That and ham, green beans sauteed with mushrooms and shallots, sweet potato casserole, dressing/stuffing, chebe cheese rolls, gravy, and apple and pecan pie.  All gluten-free because I don't want to feed people gluten in my house.  Yum Yum!!!!

Ah yes, Thanksgiving prep time!  I should have tried to get an invite to Karens house... lol. Making easy stuff in the lead up to Thursday at my house this year... today I am eating an Aldi gluten-free frozen lasagna. Tomorrow starts prep, Wednesday is pie day and other make ahead stuff, and Thursday is the day we stuff ourselves. I am making turkey breast roasts instead of a whole turkey.  That and ham, green beans sauteed with mushrooms and shallots, sweet potato casserole, dressing/stuffing, chebe cheese rolls, gravy, and apple and pecan pie.  All gluten-free because I don't want to feed people gluten in my house.  Yum Yum!!!!

You could have driven up here! Pizza night Wed...... Drive up tomorrow!

You could have driven up here! Pizza night Wed...... Drive up tomorrow!

I'm going to just show up at your house one day and stay forever eating your food, lol