This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

LauraTX Rising Star

Last night did a country dinner- ham, black eyed peas, and corn.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

cyclinglady Grand Master

Tri-tip steak, roasted asparagus, buttered carrots, and salad for the birthday girl who turned 14! gluten-free Chocolate mayonnaise cake and a gluten-free chocolate mint chip ice cream pie! Can not wait!

Ester-P Newbie

ok I tried those Cinnamon rolls this morning!  FANTASTIC! Thank you LauraTX!

I also soaked those beans and have it all in the crock pot for some "from scratch" baked beans.  OOOoooo I can't wait! :D

The man has requested Chili Bacon Burgers and avocado boats to go with. The teen will no doubt complain. I have to find something to gluten her with too. Her Dr.s appointment for a celiac panel is next Tuesday. Poor thing has been sneezing up a storm and itching and sleeping.. and yet she still refuses to think it may be a gluten or wheat allergy  problem. LOL  OK it is not funny but I have been super glutening the girl and she is currently a train wreck. MORE BREAD BABYCAKES! :ph34r:

Best of luck!  Both of my kids are off of gluten.  My son tested negative on allergy test but he gets all itchy with rashes if he eats it so it is pretty obvious.  We test him every year and same thing, he eats gluten and gets all itchy.  Sometimes the skin gets affected with food allergies.  My daughter gets Vitiligo patches.  I am pretty sure gluten triggered mine.

MycasMommy Enthusiast

Tonight I am making a beautiful Ratatouille filled with peppers, zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, and onions and topped with a blend of feta cheese and creme freche and a generous sprinkling of sunflower seeds.  Baked in the oven to a light golden brown on top.. oh mai.... *sighs* One of my friends in Sweden gave me this recipe. It is so tasty!

I am making some polpette (tiny meatballs) to go with and the teen is getting a big serving of angel hair to better gluten her for her panel.

We will finish off with a great lemon sorbet! OH YUM!!!

MycasMommy Enthusiast

Best of luck!  Both of my kids are off of gluten.  My son tested negative on allergy test but he gets all itchy with rashes if he eats it so it is pretty obvious.  We test him every year and same thing, he eats gluten and gets all itchy.  Sometimes the skin gets affected with food allergies.  My daughter gets Vitiligo patches.  I am pretty sure gluten triggered mine.

Thanks! Its the last night before the blood draw and then we will be able to see her results online as soon as they are out. So we will know sometime this week. I really lov the way they have all the medical stuff open up right to the patient online. I just want to make sure it is NOT celiacs (though I think it very well may be) so that she does not end up in my shoes and sicker than a dog and thinking she is going to die when she is much older.  Its also good to know if it is a food allergy because then the DOCTOR can tell her "THIS IS MAKING YOU SICK, STOP IT!" and it wont be from mom nagging and lecturing. I will be able to smile and nod and tell her it is her own fault. LOL *sighs*

LauraTX Rising Star

Last night I made up some grilled pork chops, green beans, and these bacon ranch potatoes.  One of the few things I make from a box, because I just can't stomach potatoes au gratin from scratch with all that cheese/fat in them.  

I go back to working my full, part time schedule next week.  Been off a little bit while I was doing multiple appointments to start a new form of Immunoglobulin Therapy (IVIG) called HyQvia (feel free to look it up for toilet reading material or if you need to be bored to sleep).  They do it subcutaneously under the skin instead of in an IV, and now I only get a headache and am tired for two days after.  It takes two hours now versus I used to sit there for 8+ hours and suffer for over a week after with a horrible migraine.  It was affecting my overall health, too, so I am happy to push all that behind me and things are looking up.  

Tonight I am going to try out the Udis chicken alfredo freezer meal that I have had on hand for a while.  Will let you guys know if it's good.

Zebra007 Contributor

Thanks! Its the last night before the blood draw and then we will be able to see her results online as soon as they are out. So we will know sometime this week. I really lov the way they have all the medical stuff open up right to the patient online. I just want to make sure it is NOT celiacs (though I think it very well may be) so that she does not end up in my shoes and sicker than a dog and thinking she is going to die when she is much older.  Its also good to know if it is a food allergy because then the DOCTOR can tell her "THIS IS MAKING YOU SICK, STOP IT!" and it wont be from mom nagging and lecturing. I will be able to smile and nod and tell her it is her own fault. LOL *sighs*

Very sensible getting her tested..best of luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LauraTX Rising Star

The udis chicken alfredo meal was pretty good.  Just enough for two.  Tonight I am going to make something lazy, maybe like hot dogs or something.  Will throw it together here in a bit!

mbrookes Community Regular

We love hot dogs. Pile stuff on them. There are several good gluten-free canned chilis out there. Sour krout. Lots of mustard... try different kinds. onions. I think I'll go fix me a hot dog. Something done flung a craving on me.

LauraTX Rising Star

We love hot dogs. Pile stuff on them. There are several good gluten-free canned chilis out there. Sour krout. Lots of mustard... try different kinds. onions. I think I'll go fix me a hot dog. Something done flung a craving on me.

Now I want chili dogs!!!!!  I think I have the stuff to make them, too.  May have to do that tomorrow.

Had breakfast for dinner today, the hubs made it.  Yum!

MycasMommy Enthusiast

How about a chili cheese dog casserole?  I make it with grain free corn bread.. but the rest of you??  Oh heck! Google up a recipe.  ;)

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chili-cheese-dog-casserole

I use nathans hot dogs, they are safe...  hmm I forget the name of the canned chili that is safe, but there IS one.. do the label check dance.  Also..if you can't corn?  No worries..  there are great recipes for grain free corn bread :D

MycasMommy Enthusiast

Today I will make the walking zombies a nice brunch with french toast ( I do not know how this will work with my rice bread but we shall see!), OJ, milk, tea, yogurt, blueberry parfaits, watermelon, bananas, bacon, and sausage, with real maple syrup.

and for dinner tonight I will have the BF grill up the thick cut rib eyes. I will whip up some mushrooms in red wine, and apple horseradish sauce, and The Pioneer Woman's "best macaroni salad ever" (with tinkyada spiral noodles). oh and salad...because.. green stuff :D

icelandgirl Proficient

Shepherds Pie tonight...mmm...comfort food.

LauraTX Rising Star

For lunch today I was going to go with my stepmom to our local mexican place where I can eat, but we got there, parked in the very front, and oh that was because they are closed Mondays, LOL.  So we went to my favorite pizza place and shared a gluten-free pizza and had some salads.  I tried to make it sound funny when I said "If you touched your salad croutons, only touch your slice of pizza."  She is very understanding :)  

Not really any dinner because of the big lunch, but I am baking a loaf of the KAF bread mix.  Rising nicely, about to pop it in the oven.  First time baking gluten-free bread, despite being dx'd over 2 years ago.

MycasMommy Enthusiast

Went to a dinner meeting of the Washington Society of Professional Engineers last night at a hotel banquet room. I have not eaten out in quite some time so I was nervous. I dont want to have a vomit fit during this! I asked the waiter who asked the chef about ingredients. (No gluten, no grains except rice).  He seemed a bit miffed that he had to check the salad dressing. Ah well... They brought everything out gluten-free for me and it was nice.  I was not brave enough to try the main dish. Mahi mahi had ...flavour on it, and the rice was orange and full of spice and veggies?  and the vegetables were broccoli and squash... I cannot digest broccoli for whatever reason.. so my dinner was. A salad, and a few slices of squash. You may laugh but this is a START!  I was almost brave..but.. ah well.  The rest of the dinner convo was GREAT!  We had a guy from Boeing talk to us about aircraft recovery (vs salvage), and we discussed Big Bertha and the light rail, and oh just a bunch of fun stuff. I really enjoyed it. I do not get out to speak with adults regarding things I like to think about too often! :D :D :D I do not CARE if it was with a bunch of old old men! :D :D

Tonight?  I think I am going to make some Hot Salami Spaghetti  (thank you yet again Tinkyada!  ..or should I go for spaghetti squash to night??)

LauraTX Rising Star

That is awesome you were able to take a small step and get out of house mom mode!  :) I would have questioned the fish and rice, too.  LOL

That KAF bread mix I made is fantastic... my loaf pan makes a really wide loaf, will invest in a more narrow pan for sure.  But why did I not ever make gluten-free bread until now?  No idea, it is so easy.  The day after baking it is good, and I am making sure we leave the rest alone to see how it does a few days after and put two slices in the freezer to see how that holds up. MMMM fresh bread!

I didn't thaw anything out for dinner.  I think I will open a can of black beans, pour it over rice with some seasonings and have a lazy black beans n rice.

MycasMommy Enthusiast

Ohhh I made Bunny Cake. The SO is going to visit his parents in Germany for spring break so we did some Eastery type things.  Instead of one whole bunny cake, I baked little 6 inch/13 cm cakes and made 3 small ones! :D  Betty Crocker gluten-free white cake mix and then I made the buttercream frosting to avoid corn syrup, and the jelly beans are from Whole foods and made from Rice Syrup.  WEeeeee! The SO named his Thomas Edison because it was about to be decapitated, the teen named hers Bob the Bunny and said "and now... to eat his butt", and I called mine Jessica Rabbit.. because... yeah  ahahhah

11082557_10152898418399440_3782689387091

Tonight I will be making Pasta alla Siciliana with Tinkyada pasta.  OR maybe... some Eggplant Rollatini, instead, with a nice sweet/hot sausage red sauce and pasta on the side...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkI_iEdTKDE

OR 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl22kPlWA_U

LauraTX Rising Star

That cake is so cute!!!

I grilled up a top sirloin steak yesterday and had baked sweet potatoes and green beans on the side.

MycasMommy Enthusiast

That cake is so cute!!!

hahah thanks.  It was fun to adapt an old classic. I really like the betty crocker gluten-free cake mix. Its very versatile. Can make carrot cake out of it.. and well..anything else cakey too!

Tonight, I made Jalapeno Popper Soup with Bacon and Cheddar.  It was way too rich so I had to cut it with :o  mashed potato flakes!!!  I AM A SINNER!! bahahaha

MycasMommy Enthusiast

Break out the spiralizer!

I made a ton of carrot "noodles" and everything is currently in the crockpot for some hearty chicken "noodle" soup. I just change out the pasta (no tinkyada today!) with the spiralized carrot ribbons. Tastes good and LOOKS so lovely too! :D

LauraTX Rising Star
I have been under the weather and not cooking much lately.  My husband was going to make gluten-free pancakes last night but ended up basically making crepes due to improper measuring... but they were actually good.  LOL 
Zebra007 Contributor

I'm having something that sounds really boring but its not!

Rice with Avocado, home made pickled red onion, and a lovely slice of ham.. 

I just wanted something real quick as my daughter is out for a pizza this evening.

MycasMommy Enthusiast

I have been under the weather and not cooking much lately.  My husband was going to make gluten-free pancakes last night but ended up basically making crepes due to improper measuring... but they were actually good.  LOL 

Oh noes!  I hope youre feeling much better by now!  Crepes? mmm filled with strawberries and cream cheese!  oh yeah....  *smacks hands together in glee*

Tonight I had a friend over who wanted to see how I planned everything out. She has all the symptoms of pre-diabetes and wants to change her diet.  It was an hours long learning session. It always amazes me how brain washed that people are regarding processed food! They just DO NOT KNOW.  Anyway... I gave her copies of all my menu planning templates and lots of pep talks about different does not have to mean worse ..just different. I hope I gave her a real head start. We have to do different things with our diet, obviously, but planning is the key to success!  Here is one of my plans for next week.  I also shop every day (almost) for fresh veg and all because I make it all from scratch///// and I plan out all the shopping on a similar format. :D Yes.. I like lists. Lists keep me safe! :D

11123581_10152921342549440_4554716128719

Tonight we had an Artichoke, Romano, Beef,  and white wine tomato sauce over some roasted Spaghetti Squash and a side of yellow and red cherry tomatoes with fresh basil, Extra virgin Olive Oil and Balsamic. Yumm yumm my tummy is stuffed :D This meal was more to show her that different does not mean worse, different can be delicious! The message got through! :D

*** This is MY gluten free menu, not a diabetic appropriate one.

LauraTX Rising Star

That is awesome!  My meal planning is a little less pretty.... just a notebook with a list of dinners and a few lunches off to the side.  Fewer people to cook for.  But the basic concept is the same...make a list of meals and the stuff you need to buy for them, voila!    I have had a few people ask me about meal planning and stuff and they have no clue about that, either.  It was something I was doing before I ever heard of it, really, but I am freakishly organized and methodical about everything so it comes naturally.  An old friend of mine seemed to look at me for a lot of advice that she would subsequently not heed, like asking me to go with her grocery shopping and help her out because her idea of cooking was heating up a frozen, bagged meal like general tso's chicken.  Would say she wants to get into cooking to lose weight, but would fall back into old ways.

Some of my favorite dinners are random grilled meat+random carb+random veggie, which I have like three times a week.  Like Chicken, sweet potatoes, and green beans.  That is probably my favorite meal.  I think a lot of people can be helped with just meal planning info when they have to go gluten-free, because most people nowadays just don't cook regularly and don't know where to start.

I've been relying on frozen stuff I have made, I will always freeze portions of things for later.  Today used chili to make chili mac.  One of my husbands favorites.  And my good recipe of chili is way better than anything canned.  Although, at the demand of my husband and a desire for nutrition... I put beans in my chili this time around.  And since real chili has no beans, I guess it was chili-like stew and mac.  LOL, I am a true Texas girl with that view.  

Zebra007 Contributor

Oh noes!  I hope youre feeling much better by now!  Crepes? mmm filled with strawberries and cream cheese!  oh yeah....  *smacks hands together in glee*

Tonight I had a friend over who wanted to see how I planned everything out. She has all the symptoms of pre-diabetes and wants to change her diet.  It was an hours long learning session. It always amazes me how brain washed that people are regarding processed food! They just DO NOT KNOW.  Anyway... I gave her copies of all my menu planning templates and lots of pep talks about different does not have to mean worse ..just different. I hope I gave her a real head start. We have to do different things with our diet, obviously, but planning is the key to success!  Here is one of my plans for next week.  I also shop every day (almost) for fresh veg and all because I make it all from scratch///// and I plan out all the shopping on a similar format. :D Yes.. I like lists. Lists keep me safe! :D

11123581_10152921342549440_4554716128719

Tonight we had an Artichoke, Romano, Beef,  and white wine tomato sauce over some roasted Spaghetti Squash and a side of yellow and red cherry tomatoes with fresh basil, Extra virgin Olive Oil and Balsamic. Yumm yumm my tummy is stuffed :D This meal was more to show her that different does not mean worse, different can be delicious! The message got through! :D

*** This is MY gluten free menu, not a diabetic appropriate one.

Wow good for you for being so organised!  I recently realized my freezer was full of stuff that I couldn't eat anymore, like frozen pizza base, that kind of thing and I have either thrown it all out or given some foods away, and now I have started to fill my freezer up with some good stuff, so I guess that's me trying to be organised.  Also I have ordered quite a lot of different foods online, so again I guess I am being organised  :D