This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

kareng Grand Master

teriyaki chicken and white rice. . I added extra pineapple juice and use 5 spice on the chicken when I cook. My family went crazy over this meal. I had to make it twice this week since there wasn't enough the first time. lol 

http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/od/saucesandmarinades/r/TeriakiSauce.htm

Tonight is just lime/herb butter tilapia with broccoli and cheese rice and sangria!

I mix the Five Spice into ground pork. pork is cheaper than most meat right now & ground pork is pretty low fat. I LOVE to put fresh or canned pineapple in my stir fry and any juice ( sometimes I use a little can of pineapple juice, too).

Tonight is burgers, red potato foil packets and corn on the cob on the grill. With Lemonies for dessert. I like my burger on a bed of lettuce with melted cheese and either some dill hamburger pickles or cherry tomatoes. I have lovely buns, but I just like my burgers without them. ( hamburger BUNS... Tho I think MY buns are lovely, too lol)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

icelandgirl Proficient

We grilled burgers last night too and some zucchini. Yum!

Tonight we are having my kids' favorite...coconut flour crusted chicken tenders. I'm serving a tossed salad and roasted veggies with. I had some baking help today since school is out and we baked up chocolate chip cookies to have for dessert.

LauraTX Rising Star

Made chicken quesadillas today.  Instead of buying the expensive, gummy gluten-free frozen tortillas, I just use corn tortillas.  If they are small I just make a third quesadilla and split it between us two.  Yummy.

kareng Grand Master

Last night I made an enchilada type casserole with the chicken I had my hub grill with the burgers Sunday night.  I like to just layer the enchiladas instead of rolling them.  Its just easier.

kareng Grand Master

I made a turkey breast in the crockpot!  I couldn't lift it out of the pot - it just fell off the bones.  We will have some sandwiches, fruit, maybe some potato chips tonight.  Left- overs for sandwiches and maybe a gluten-free Bisquick pot pie!  YUmmmmm

icelandgirl Proficient

I made a turkey breast in the crockpot!  I couldn't lift it out of the pot - it just fell off the bones.  We will have some sandwiches, fruit, maybe some potato chips tonight.  Left- overs for sandwiches and maybe a gluten-free Bisquick pot pie!  YUmmmmm

Yum! Love turkey breast in the crock pot.

We're headed to a minor league baseball game so I'm doing a quick dinner...pizza buns and roasted summer squash on the side.

nonnarae Rookie

Tonight's dinner is 

zucchini noodles with cooked chicken chunks in lime juice and cilantro with tomato and onion! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gilligan Enthusiast

This is similar to an entree at a wonderful gluten free restaurant in St. Louis.  They call it breakfast rice - long grain brown rice, ham chunks, sausage, bacon, onions, red/green peppers.  Season with coconut aminos and serve with a fried egg on top.  

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Hubby and the kids ordered pizza tonight, so I made my own quick pizzas with some organic pizza sauce, Udi's bread, black olives, and Daiya cheese. They were pretty good!

kareng Grand Master

Catch up - 

Been eating some turkey sandwiches.  Put the rest in the freezer to make pot pie in a couple of weeks.

Friday night we went to a big outdoor Jazz concert.  Not supposed to bring food so we snuck in some grapes, crackers, cheese & salami.

Saturday night - ordered pizza

Sunday night - Father's Day - grilled pork chops, crockpot scalloped potatoes, cheesy corn, fruit with pina colada "sauce", PB cookies and some really fudgy chocolate cookies!  They were soooooo good!

Tonight - maybe just some left-overs.  I have 2 cooked pork chops - might make a stir fry and throw them in at the last minute.

icelandgirl Proficient

Last night we grilled burgers and had them on my new favorite gluten free buns from Outside the Breadbox. These are the first buns that my hubby has liked.

Tonight I'm making a chicken taco salad.

notme Experienced

last night i made stuffed Giant Zucchini - honestly, idk why, but our garden produces ABUNDANTLY !  we plant less and less plants and we end up getting killed with veggies.  

i stuffed it with fresh sausage that i jazzed up with some garlic, onions, oregano & mint.  mixed with romano cheese & mozzarella and topped with more (i pre-cooked the giant zucchini baked for about 20 min) mozzarella, then baked for about 30 minutes.  husband woofed it down - it was his bday, so he also got spaghetti & meatballs <his favorite :) 

i wonder how well it freezes if it was already cooked........   i guess i'll find out!  got a bunch more coming in.  and yellow squash.  and cucumbers.  and green peppers.  and jalapeno peppers <those cursed things, i bet we get 100 per plant every year.   ^_^ only got 3 tomato plants and they are monstrous  :lol:

kareng Grand Master

Sunday night - steaks, roasted spare grass, and crash hot potatoes with pina coladas for dessert.

Monday night - Last week I threw chicken breasts in the KFG (crockpot) with some Gates BBQ sauce.  Shredded it and we had sandwiches,  Made nachos with black beans and the chicken and some more BBQ sauce.  YUM!

notme Experienced

spare grass, lololz   :D

LauraTX Rising Star

Well I have been sickly lately but I am having some good days this week so I am doing some batch cooking.  Today I am making pulled pork in the crock pot,and tomorrow will be black beans and rice in the crock pot. Both will make lots of leftovers to freeze.  Also going to make banana bread today which I freeze up in individual portions.  

Yesterday I made chicken alfredo with peas in it, and my non-pea loving husband gave me looks like I was crazy, lol.  I think it is a good combo :)

• 2 weeks later...
LauraTX Rising Star

Well, what have I been cooking lately?  A lot, lol.  I have my IVIG infusion tomorrow and since lately it knocks me on my hiney for a good 3-4 days at least, I have made a lot of stuff for easy cooking.  Unfortunately my spouse is out of work at the moment so I wanted to save money over the few convenience foods I can eat.  I baked and froze up two loaves of bread.  I use the King Arthur Flour gluten-free bread mix, it is better than anything you can buy and makes more slices.  Thawed out from the freezer it doesn't need toasting.  I love it.  I made a big batch of refried beans in the crock pot.  Basically you cook a pound of pinto beans with 5 and a half cups of water, a half jalapeno(seeded), cumin/salt/pepper/garlic/onion powder on low for 8 hours then mash.  Save some of the liquid out and add back in as needed.  If you use chicken broth for some of the liquid it is really good.  That made five meal's worth for us two.  I grilled up chicken and froze a few whole cooked chicken breasts to toss into pasta.  Froze some cooked taco meat.  So, I have a freezer full of stuff that my husband will be able to easily put together, since he is home to take care of me.  I guess that is one good thing out of our circumstances.

If anyone has recommendations on cheap cuts of meat and how to cook them, I am all ears.  I have been buying ground turkey for half the price per pound of ground beef, for use in stuff where it blends in well.  Speaking of ground turkey, I had a friend raving about how wonderful tater tot casserole is.  So I tried it, and it is good.  Not up my alley with all that fat but was tasty.

gluten-free Tater Tot Casserole:

1 lb ground turkey, cooked (i used 3/4 lb)

2/3 bag Ore Ida tater tots

1 can progresso creamy mushroom soup

2/3 cup low fat sharp cheddar, shredded

Salt and pepper to taste

Combine it all in a 8x8 pan and bake at 350 for one hour.  Makes 6 servings.

kareng Grand Master

I get ground pork.  Its usually much cheaper than chicken and beef and pretty lean.  My favorite thing to do with it is make stir fry.  I will mix Chinese five Spice into the ground pork.  Then I cook it like you would ground beef, but I don't break it up into teeny tiny bits.  I bet you could do the same for use with pasta - but use Ital seasoning.  Let it sit in the sauce overnight (works for turkey, too).  That helps it taste more like pasta sauce and less like turkey or pork.   :D

We have really enjoyed a turkey breast in the crockpot.  I put a stick of butter in the cavity, a little water in the pan and use some freeze dried poultry seasonings.  It cooks pretty quickly - 4-5 hours and falls off the bones.  then you can use it for soup or turkey and rice or turkey pot-pie or sandwiches, etc

LauraTX Rising Star

Cooking up a turkey breast sounds really good.  My grocery store will mark meat 25% off late in the evening which is when I usually shop, and a lot of time it is turkey.  Next time I see a big turkey breast on sale I am going to snatch it up.  I could go for some pot pie, been years!  I will look at ground pork, too.  I have used that in pasta before when I just had some to use.

• 3 weeks later...
kareng Grand Master
gilligan Enthusiast

Grilled pork chops, tomatoes, thai salad, and cantaloupe -

nonnarae Rookie

I have been experimenting with things that I miss:

Sesame chicken and sweet and sour chicken for my Chinese takeout

chicken fingers and fries for my bowling alley moment

and CAKE.-- we have had a lot of birthdays here.

I loved them all! if anyone is craving and wants a good recipe I will share! 

kareng Grand Master

I have been experimenting with things that I miss:

Sesame chicken and sweet and sour chicken for my Chinese takeout

chicken fingers and fries for my bowling alley moment

and CAKE.-- we have had a lot of birthdays here.

I loved them all! if anyone is craving and wants a good recipe I will share! 

I think people will want those recipes!   :D

or an invitation to dinner

kareng Grand Master

Last night we had a chili line grilled chicken, corn on the cob and salad.  For dessert we tried a Limoncello syllabub.  It was basically lemon flavored whip cream!  Quite tasty, but I see more potential for it as a topping for blueberries or a pound cake.

icelandgirl Proficient

My baby is 4 today...hard to believe...she has requested hot dogs, mac n cheese, blueberries and vanilla ice cream for her birthday dinner.

kareng Grand Master

Last night we had crockpot lasagna . Delicious and it doesn't heat up the house!