This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

love2travel Mentor

We're having company this weekend so tonight is pretty basic because our company doesn't "get" gourmet food! :lol:

Pulled Pork

Browned Butter Mashed Potatoes with Crispy Shallots

Jicama Slaw

Shaved Asparagus Salad with Peppered Pecans, Pears, Shaved Parmesan and Vanilla Bean Vinaigrette

Strawberry Fool

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Something with chicken and potatoes....I haven't decided yet! I'm trying to clean out my cupboards and cabinets for a move so we will also have some canned pineapple or canned manderine oranges. I also need to cook some dried pinto beans but we just had red beans and rice last night so I'm trying to space out my beans... :P

love2travel Mentor

Something with chicken and potatoes....I haven't decided yet! I'm trying to clean out my cupboards and cabinets for a move so we will also have some canned pineapple or canned manderine oranges. I also need to cook some dried pinto beans but we just had red beans and rice last night so I'm trying to space out my beans... :P

Mmmmm...pineapple and mandarin oranges spell out ambrosia (if you like coconut, etc.). When do you move again?

Mmmmm...pineapple and mandarin oranges spell out ambrosia (if you like coconut, etc.). When do you move again?

End of this month. I thought of Ambrosia but I'm not sure how to make it dairy and soy free. We often do just mix up canned fruit with fresh or frozen though and make fruit salad. I also have frozen strawberries and frozen blueberries to eat down. hmmm...maybe I'll just skip the chicken tonight and make mixed berry pancakes...Then again I need at least one more day of leftovers to send with hubby to work tommorrow. Some type of Hawaiian chicken with the pineapple is a possibility too. Sometimes I have so many ideas rolling around in my head and everything sounds good to me I can't decide! :D

love2travel Mentor

End of this month. I thought of Ambrosia but I'm not sure how to make it dairy and soy free. We often do just mix up canned fruit with fresh or frozen though and make fruit salad. I also have frozen strawberries and frozen blueberries to eat down. hmmm...maybe I'll just skip the chicken tonight and make mixed berry pancakes...Then again I need at least one more day of leftovers to send with hubby to work tommorrow. Some type of Hawaiian chicken with the pineapple is a possibility too. Sometimes I have so many ideas rolling around in my head and everything sounds good to me I can't decide! :D

Please refresh my memory - are you are moving from a townhouse to a house? Will you have room for a grill outside?

Oh, yes. I had forgotten about dairy/soy free in ambrosia. I know what you mean about so many ideas rolling around in your mind! Hawaiian chicken sounds delicious, too. When I cook I also plan ahead for leftovers to send with my husband to work. Sometimes his lunches are better than mine! :D

Please refresh my memory - are you are moving from a townhouse to a house? Will you have room for a grill outside?

Oh, yes. I had forgotten about dairy/soy free in ambrosia. I know what you mean about so many ideas rolling around in your mind! Hawaiian chicken sounds delicious, too. When I cook I also plan ahead for leftovers to send with my husband to work. Sometimes his lunches are better than mine! :D

We are in a tiny apartment in the city moving to a townhouse (still in the city but a step up and a better location). We will be allowed to have a grill there and we even bought one already (shh! don't tell my landlord--we didn't buy a propane tank and are keeping it in the box until the move ) since they were on sale for the fourth of July here. I'm very excited about grilling things all throughout August and September (and probably even in October and November since we don't have a heavy winter here in the South) once we move. Anyway, I'm trying to clear out my pantry and my chest freezer especially to make the move easier. My pantry is a stand alone cabinet that I have also been using for a microwave stand since I have a tiny galley kitchen in this little apartment. I want to get rid of the cabinet before the move since my new place has a pantry closet and nowhere to put the cabinet. So I'm trying to eat it down as much as possible. Sometime around next week I will list it on craigslist as free to whoever can come get it. It's in good condition but it is particle board and has some scratches. I just want to get as as much out of it as possible. I have a bunch of canned goods that I keep for the hurricane season emergency stash. I find I hardly ever eat canned stuff however. I prefer fresh or frozen if it has to be preserved. So we'll be eating a lot of canned fruit, canned green beans, canned corn, tuna, toamtoes, chickpeas, and beans just to eat them up. I have a bunch of corn tortillas in my freezer too so we will probably have several interesting nacho/taco meals with the beans. I like to make corn chips in the oven from the corn tortillas and bean dips/hummus to dip it in. A lot of our meals will be snacks it looks like.

Well I decided to do Strawberry Buckwheat pancakes with blueberry maple syrup, turkey bacon and eggs. Looked in the fridge and saw that we had a half package of un-cooked turkey bacon from the weekend and I don't want it to go bad. We also have about 4 dozen eggs so I might as well use those up. The perfect excuse to make Strawberry pancakes. :) <---We really need a drooling or yummy emoticon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

freeatlast Collaborator

Having blackeyed peas, collard greens with vinegar, and dill flatbread with herbed olive oil dip.

sb2178 Enthusiast

collards in garlic broth

corn tortillas

chocolate mousse with sweet peanut swirl

after-dinner drink pending...?

Juliebove Rising Star

Turkey breast, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans.

domesticactivist Collaborator

I just got home and smelled fish. Turns out my partner had just eaten sardines. I thought I'd try some and had the whole can, oh, and some fresh strawberries. I don't feel at all like I missed dinner :P

(I did have a stir-fry with duck and broccoli earlier, though)

I decided to try this sweet and sour chicken recipe to use up some of my canned pineapple: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sweet-and-sour-chicken-i/detail.aspx

I'm using sweet rice flour for the flour and leaving out the orange food coloring (LOL).

freeatlast Collaborator

I decided to try this sweet and sour chicken recipe to use up some of my canned pineapple: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sweet-and-sour-chicken-i/detail.aspx

I'm using sweet rice flour for the flour and leaving out the orange food coloring (LOL).

How did it turn out?

How did it turn out?

I'm making it tonight. I'll let you know. :)

alex11602 Collaborator

I just tried this recipe and it was really good! The sauce tasted just like the sweet and sour sauce from our local chinese restaurant. Thank you for posting this.

love2travel Mentor

Pork Baby Back Ribs with Homemade Rub and Memphis BBQ Sauce

Truffled Potatoes Pave with Caramelized Onion Jam

Dark Chocolate Mousse and Spicy Shrimp Spoons (yes, you read that right - it is a remarkable combination)

Japanese Cucumber Salad

Strawberry Fool

Rosemary Mint Lemonade

Dinner was quite good. :)

come dance with me Enthusiast

Syndian Asian Bean and Kumera bites with roast pumpkin, sweet potato, carrot and zucchini, mash potato, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, and corn on the cob :)

lizard00 Enthusiast

Salmon with fresh dill, lemon and garlic, corn on the cob, and herb roasted red potatoes.

And wine. :)

We've all been sick this week, so it was nice having real food again!

Poppi Enthusiast

Turkey lettuce wraps.

come dance with me Enthusiast

I'll have to think about cooking soon I suppose...

This turned out great! It makes A LOT of sweet and sour chicken, however. We've been eating the leftovers for two days. I served mine with steamed broccoli instead of bell peppers. Really any stir fried or steamed veggies and rice would be good with it.

I just tried this recipe and it was really good! The sauce tasted just like the sweet and sour sauce from our local chinese restaurant. Thank you for posting this.

I'm glad you liked it too! I LOVE Asian food and I'm always trying new recipes. If you like orange chicken you have to try this recipe: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2009/09/slow-cooker-orange-chicken-recipe.html

It's my favorite! So good! The only thing I do differently from her recipe is I add lots of red pepper flakes at the end of cooking. I like my orange chicken a little spicey.

love2travel Mentor

Leftover spicy rubbed pork baby back ribs with homemade apple butter sauce. With our leftover black garlic wild mushroom risotto I am making arancini. Grilled butternut squash with vanilla bean vinaigrette and goat cheese.

alex11602 Collaborator

Tonight we are going simple and are having a garlic rubbed roast beef, crashed potatoes and some sort of green veggie(probably broccoli).

freeatlast Collaborator

Asked my husband what kind of game hunter he was. Does that mean you're hungry, he replied. Affirmative, I answered.

What I'm cooking depends upon what he brings back :)