Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat
3 3

9,867 posts in this topic

I'm NOT. Very rare occasion. My husband went to the store, bought fish, salad and fixin's, and is COOKING. YES!

Ads by Google:

OK - tonight we are going to Indonesia:

Turkey Sate with Spicy Coconut Peanut Butter Sauce

Gado Gado (sort of the Indonesian version of potato salad)

Rujak Manis (fruit with spicy coconut sugar sauce with ground peanuts)

Acar (sort of pickled vegetables)

Bawang Goreng (seasoned crispy shallots)

Should be good (and fairly busy!).

We're having stuffed bell peppers (stuffed with ground turkey and rice and seasoned with Italian spices, baked in the slow cooker).

Tonight was oven roasted Pork roast with minced garlic on corn tortillas with a HUGE dollop of sour cream.

I have REALLY been lacking on the veggies lately so I guess next weekend I best plan on making a BIG pot of vegetable beef soup ( really the only way I like veggies :ph34r: )

Charcoal grilled chicken with homemade marinade & BBQ sauce. Twice baked potatoes & romaine tossed salad.

Simple and rustic...

Homemade rosemary focaccia with a baked ooey gooey fontina/garlic/scallion fondue. We'll dip blanched green beans from the garden into the fondue. Shaved zucchini with ricotta and fresh mint and orange thyme vinaigrette.

Simple and rustic...

Homemade rosemary focaccia with a baked ooey gooey fontina/garlic/scallion fondue. We'll dip blanched green beans from the garden into the fondue. Shaved zucchini with ricotta and fresh mint and orange thyme vinaigrette.

Your post always make me hungry!! :)

I'm making chicken alfredo tonight with salad. Fondue sounds so yummy!!

Your post always make me hungry!! :)

I'm making chicken alfredo tonight with salad. Fondue sounds so yummy!!

We have a reprieve from heat so thought I'd take advantage of it. Your chicken alfredo sounds yummy, too! :P

Steak with Marsala sauce

Oven roasted rosemary red potatoes, onions and bell peppers

Steamed green beans with garlic

Grilled ham steak with baked potatoes tonight.

It was my partner's birthday. He wanted twice baked potatos and Porterhouse steak with salad. (No cake, the taters are better than dessert, he said.)

It's a pia to make twice baked potatos. Bake 4 very large Idado potatos at 400 degrees for an hour. Meanwhile, fry and crumble 8 pieces of bacon. (I prefer Applewood smoked.) Chop 6-8 green onions (green & white parts). When the baked potatos are done, scoop out the potatoe from the skins, leaving a 1/8" or so layer of tater on the skin.

Mix 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup cheddar cheese, 1/3 cup milk (I used half & half), and s&P to taste. Throw in the crumbled bacon and chopped green onions, mix with a hand mixer and restuff your skins. Top them with a scant handful of shredded cheddar cheese and cook them for 15 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven. (Or wrap them in foil and stick them on the grill off of the fire.)

I guess if it makes him happy, I'd rather make twice baked potatos than a birthday cake, and it took about the same time/effort that it would to produce a gluten-free BD cake. Plus the twice baked potatoes freeze well, so the leftovers are better!

I couldn't do dairy for quite awhile, I seem to be on a dairy fest now, and OMG those taters were good.

Even though they're kind of pricy, I think we can have them as a dinner by themselves, and the recipe made 8 single servings that freeze well.

pizza topped with tuna and sauteed mushrooms w/ lots of garlic and herbs

It was my partner's birthday. He wanted twice baked potatos and Porterhouse steak with salad. (No cake, the taters are better than dessert, he said.)

It's a pia to make twice baked potatos. Bake 4 very large Idado potatos at 400 degrees for an hour. Meanwhile, fry and crumble 8 pieces of bacon. (I prefer Applewood smoked.) Chop 6-8 green onions (green & white parts). When the baked potatos are done, scoop out the potatoe from the skins, leaving a 1/8" or so layer of tater on the skin.

Mix 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup cheddar cheese, 1/3 cup milk (I used half & half), and s&P to taste. Throw in the crumbled bacon and chopped green onions, mix with a hand mixer and restuff your skins. Top them with a scant handful of shredded cheddar cheese and cook them for 15 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven. (Or wrap them in foil and stick them on the grill off of the fire.)

I guess if it makes him happy, I'd rather make twice baked potatos than a birthday cake, and it took about the same time/effort that it would to produce a gluten-free BD cake. Plus the twice baked potatoes freeze well, so the leftovers are better!

I couldn't do dairy for quite awhile, I seem to be on a dairy fest now, and OMG those taters were good.

Even though they're kind of pricy, I think we can have them as a dinner by themselves, and the recipe made 8 single servings that freeze well.

I love that twice-baked potatoes are so versatile! I also like to add in roasted garlic pulp, creme fraiche, diced pancetta, mushroom duxelles, garlic scapes, aged gruyere or gorgonzola, garlic chives, caramelized shallots or onion garlic jam, good olive oil and maybe some fried capers. The toppings are endless, aren't they? They are so easy to make and underrated. Filled "jacket" potatoes are common in the UK - they have fillings such as brown beans, tuna, etc.

Glad you enjoyed them so much!

Arugula Salad with Peppered Almonds, Apple Tuilles (I made this morning) and Lemon Vinaigrette

Grilled Pork Baby Back Ribs with homemade Smoked Peach Habanero Barbecue Sauce

Spaghetti Squash with Crispy Sage and Chive Oil

Individual Pavlovas with Passionfruit Custard

I love that twice-baked potatoes are so versatile! I also like to add in roasted garlic pulp, creme fraiche, diced pancetta, mushroom duxelles, garlic scapes, aged gruyere or gorgonzola, garlic chives, caramelized shallots or onion garlic jam, good olive oil and maybe some fried capers. The toppings are endless, aren't they? They are so easy to make and underrated. Filled "jacket" potatoes are common in the UK - they have fillings such as brown beans, tuna, etc.

Glad you enjoyed them so much!

Thank you for the suggestions, Love! I never thought of a tuna melt in a potato jacket, used to love them on toast! OMG, new lunch ideas! Happy days!

I'm trying not to go overboat on dairy, because I've read old posts about being intolerant/tolerant/intolerant. I definitely love being in the middle. Thanks again.

Thank you for the suggestions, Love! I never thought of a tuna melt in a potato jacket, used to love them on toast! OMG, new lunch ideas! Happy days!

I'm trying not to go overboat on dairy, because I've read old posts about being intolerant/tolerant/intolerant. I definitely love being in the middle. Thanks again.

Oh, you're more than welcome! My mind is so filled with food ideas at any given time it's almost pathetic.

I was just told yesterday by my dietitian to cut out dairy for two weeks (I've been having tummy issues now after being gluten-free for six months). So, that is why we pigged out on cheese last night!

Tuna melts (or even just tuna salad) on baked potatoes are really very good. Same with chicken salad, chili, stew...

We had leftovers with "make a random salad from the contents of the fridge and pantry" night. LOL. My husband's salad consisted of: Iceberg lettuce, bell peppers, onions, shredded carrots and peanuts. Mine had romaine, cucumber, shredded carrot, raisins, almonds and plantain chips. Both of us used homemade Italian dressing. I had leftover fish and husband had leftover chicken. Now my fridge is cleaned out of leftovers/going bad produce and I can make something new tomorrow. :D

ETA: Tommorrow I plan to make cabbage rolls in the slow cooker and mashed potatoes.

I love those clean-out-the-fridge meals! Tonight I'm going to make a clean-out-the-fridge stir-fry. Since I'm thinking about it before 8 a.m., it will happen. :)

I wish I knew...my husband is making me dinner and there are 2 steaks marinating in the fridge in 2 different marinades. I smelled citrus fruits but he kicked me out of the kitchen before I could see what he was doing with it.

Tommorrow I plan to make cabbage rolls in the slow cooker and mashed potatoes.

I had to change my plans. My head of cabbage had a spots that looked like rot or mold or something going all the way through. Not single leaf was good. I already had my stuffing mixed up when I discovered it so I had to improvise. I had some shredded cabbage for coleslaw in the fridge and used that in layers with the filling in the slow cooker and then topped with tomato juice. So it's an unstuffed cabbage roll casserole instead of cabbage rolls. :)

I had scallops las night while hub had shrimp - what to have with it? There was STILL some rice salad left, so I sliced up some mushrooms and sauteed them, dumped the rice in and had fried rice and swiss chard. :)

I had to change my plans. My head of cabbage had a spots that looked like rot or mold or something going all the way through. Not single leaf was good. I already had my stuffing mixed up when I discovered it so I had to improvise. I had some shredded cabbage for coleslaw in the fridge and used that in layers with the filling in the slow cooker and then topped with tomato juice. So it's an unstuffed cabbage roll casserole instead of cabbage rolls. :)

That happened to me once. I was solely catering a dinner event and making a slaw and all the cabbages had that stuff running through them!

Improvising forces one to be more creative - I actually quite enjoy it (unless I am catering! :lol: ).

Sounds as though it turned out well for you anyway!

I have made a fabulous recipe that I was proud of. Rice, sweet potates, peppers, onions, and black beans. mmmmm. It takes alot of pans, but worth it! You just peel and dice the sweet potates, season them and cook them in a 400 degree oven, cook your black beans, rinsed and in some clear water on the stove top, cook the peppers and onions in a pan, with some olive oil, rice in the rice cooker. Once all is complete mix it all together, and voila!

My husband is going out for dinner this evening so I am making myself soft polenta with mushroom ragout, braised Tuscan beans with roasted garlic and rosemary and low fat soft pine nut cookies.

I'm making gluten free (of course) pizza, new pizza crust recipe. Still can't find a good recipe.