This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I'm cooking extra tonight because I go back to work tomorrow! Turkey meatloaf, greenbeans, sweet potato for the kids and baked lemon basil chicken for lunch. My son is grilling pork chops to have on hand as well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

That happened to me once. I was solely catering a dinner event and making a slaw and all the cabbages had that stuff running through them!

Improvising forces one to be more creative - I actually quite enjoy it (unless I am catering! :lol: ).

Sounds as though it turned out well for you anyway!

It did turn out fine! Not very pretty to look at on the plate, but tasted the same as cabbage rolls anyway. I'm pretty good at improvising. My other ideas if I had not had the shredded cabbage:

1. add another egg and shape the filling into a meatloaf

2. try filling rice paper wrappers with the stuffing and baking like enchiladas

3. baking some potatoes, hollowing them out and putting the stuffing in those to cook

love2travel Mentor

I'm making gluten free (of course) pizza, new pizza crust recipe. Still can't find a good recipe.

Have you tried the crust from the CIA Baking book? I posted it on here. You actually roll out the dough rather than spread it! One of the very few that I have seen. One of the best I have tried thus far. I posted both a soft dough crust and a crisp dough crust a few weeks ago...

Coleslawcat Contributor

Tonight is spaghetti night at my daughter's request. I just use my old favorite sauce recipe with TJ brown rice spaghetti. It's such a delicious simple meal, but we haven't had it in forever because it's just been way too hot to have sauce simmering on my stovetop for several hours. But my daughter has been begging so I'm finally doing it despite it being 109 today.

alex11602 Collaborator

Last night my husband ended up marinating one steak in fresh squeezed oranges and the other in lemon and lime juice overnight and then cooking it on the George Foreman. He also attempted to make risotto since it one of my favorites, not bad for the first time even though not super creamy since he used regular long grain white rice. But it was served by candlelight so that made everything taste better.

Tonight we are going to try and make general tso's chicken so it's a Chinese food night tonight.

Last night my husband ended up marinating one steak in fresh squeezed oranges and the other in lemon and lime juice overnight and then cooking it on the George Foreman. He also attempted to make risotto since it one of my favorites, not bad for the first time even though not super creamy since he used regular long grain white rice. But it was served by candlelight so that made everything taste better.

Tonight we are going to try and make general tso's chicken so it's a Chinese food night tonight.

That's so sweet of your husband! I think we will have Chinese tonight too. I had no ideas until I saw this thread, thanks for sharing. I am going to make Kung Pao chicken.

love2travel Mentor

So, tonight is northern European - Finland, to be precise:

- Finnish Pork and Veal Meatballs with Lingonberry Sauce

- Boiled Dilled Baby Garden Potatoes

- Rosemary Orange Braised Baby Garden Carrots (OK, this one is obviously not Finnish!)

- Quick Salt and Sugar Pickles

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marilyn R Community Regular

Oh, you're more than welcome! My mind is so filled with food ideas at any given time it's almost pathetic.

I was just told yesterday by my dietitian to cut out dairy for two weeks (I've been having tummy issues now after being gluten-free for six months). So, that is why we pigged out on cheese last night!

Tuna melts (or even just tuna salad) on baked potatoes are really very good. Same with chicken salad, chili, stew...

I wondered if you were having issues with dairy before but didn't have the heart to suggest it, I know you love it so. I'm surprised the dietician only suggested two weeks though. (I believe I've read that you should avoid it for three months before reintroducing, but I could be wrong.)

I haven't tried soy again, don't really have any desire. I like coconut aminoes and thai fish sauce with citrus in any recipe when I want to go to China, Japan or Thailand. :)

Three months seems like a long time, but it isn't, and OMG, it is a pleasure to be able to have it again. Waiting longer may increase the pleasure?

Poppi Enthusiast

Tonight is exciting!

Salmon we caught ourselves a couple months ago and potatoes and acorn squash I harvested out of my garden this afternoon! :)

love2travel Mentor

I wondered if you were having issues with dairy before but didn't have the heart to suggest it, I know you love it so. I'm surprised the dietician only suggested two weeks though. (I believe I've read that you should avoid it for three months before reintroducing, but I could be wrong.)

I haven't tried soy again, don't really have any desire. I like coconut aminoes and thai fish sauce with citrus in any recipe when I want to go to China, Japan or Thailand. :)

Three months seems like a long time, but it isn't, and OMG, it is a pleasure to be able to have it again. Waiting longer may increase the pleasure?

Marilyn, you're too kind! I initially completely cut out dairy when I was first diagnosed for nearly three months then reintroduced it and was fine for ages. Then about a month ago started having serious IBS-like symptoms (that I did not get from gluten at all) so my dietitian wants me to start eliminating things. She feels I am consuming too much raw fruit, too, perhaps. Thankfully she is VERY celiac aware and full of knowledge. Darn it - I was hoping I would not get to this point. But I know without qustion that vinegar hurts. My doctor believes I may have an ulcer as a result of being on NSAIDs. So, now we're starting the elimination process... :angry:

kendon0015 Rookie

My husband is going out for dinner this evening so I am making myself soft polenta with mushroom ragout, braised Tuscan beans with roasted garlic and rosemary and low fat soft pine nut cookies.

Okay, I NEED your pine nut cookie recipe.

love2travel Mentor

Okay, I NEED your pine nut cookie recipe.

This is actually a test recipe I did for a major culinary website and I am not allowed to publish it until after September 5. Is that ok? I am marking this so I do not forget! So sorry... :o

Jestgar Rising Star

Ground beef, sun dried tomatoes and pineapple. (I made it up :P I'll let you know how it tastes.)

shadowicewolf Proficient

oatmeal and apple sauce seemed okay after yesterday's nothing but liquid diet.

love2travel Mentor

I am making several finger foods for this evening:

Honey Garlic Chicken Wings

Grilled Prosciuotto-Wrapped Chicken Wings

Grilled Red Peppers with Bagna Cauda

Crispy Garlic Roasted Shoestring Sweet Potato Fries

Baked Apples Stuffed with Pecans

cahill Collaborator

Tonight homemade turkey and rice soup. I have been trying to reintroduce nightshades and have found my limit. :(

so back to proven safe foods until I recover.

love2travel Mentor

It's hot today so:

Grilled Shrimp 3 Ways

Grilled Zucchini Ribbons with Vanilla Bean Vinaigrette and Fleur de Sel

Grilled Potato Rounds with Mint and Almond Pesto

Strawberry Banana Flaxmeal Muffins I made yesterday when it was cooler.

kendon0015 Rookie

This is actually a test recipe I did for a major culinary website and I am not allowed to publish it until after September 5. Is that ok? I am marking this so I do not forget! So sorry... :o

I'm holding you to it! They are one of my favorite cookies. Thanks a bunch.

Now if they only made gluten free italian rainbow cookies....That could be your next project! Please?

love2travel Mentor

I'm holding you to it! They are one of my favorite cookies. Thanks a bunch.

Now if they only made gluten free italian rainbow cookies....That could be your next project! Please?

I know the cookies you mean - I can work on it as I love a challenge! :D

alex11602 Collaborator

I only got as far as the meat and dessert for tonight. We are having ham for dinner, probably some kind of potato on the side with peach blueberry crumble for dessert.

sa1937 Community Regular

I made pizza (yeah, again). :) It's been a few weeks, I think. And I made lemon bars for tomorrow...but I'll have a taste of them tonight.

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

white rice, and pork chops with a little bit of Sweet Baby Ray's over it

Marilyn R Community Regular

Carmelized pork steaks (homemade sauce), grilled asparagus, sweet potatoes and tossed salad. Dark chocolate.

Last night we had steak pizzaiola, Tinkyada pasta and green beans.

Tonight I'm make Thai style chicken spring rolls and coconut rice.

I made pizza (yeah, again). :) It's been a few weeks, I think. And I made lemon bars for tomorrow...but I'll have a taste of them tonight.

How were the lemon bars? I've been meaning to look for a recipe for those. it's something my grandmother always made around Chistmas when she was still alive and I've been missing them. I'll have to give that recipe a try.