This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

beebs Enthusiast

In northern Alberta. The funny thing is, nothing shuts down - everyone is expected to continue going to work, school, whatever. Our vehicle tires become square and thump when driving until they warm up; skin can freeze in 90 seconds. It can be downright dangerous! Blech. :angry:

Aha - lots of newfies go there for work:) Bleeding cold there- NFLD is a walk in the park compared - but the awful thing about the weather in St John's is that it rains and everything turns to slush and then freezes all in one day - so sometimes you are walking around in knee deep slush and others sliding down the street on your bum :blink: The weather in Canada is so harsh! Its a lovely 25deg c here today :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

mushroom Proficient

75 degrees fahrenheit here today. :) But loook out for that sun :unsure:

love2travel Mentor

Aha - lots of newfies go there for work:) Bleeding cold there- NFLD is a walk in the park compared - but the awful thing about the weather in St John's is that it rains and everything turns to slush and then freezes all in one day - so sometimes you are walking around in knee deep slush and others sliding down the street on your bum :blink: The weather in Canada is so harsh! Its a lovely 25deg c here today :D

Yes, the economy is very good. There is a lot of money floating around, that is for sure! Very transient and very, very wealthy. But very, very cold!

Often we see major storms in the St. John's area on TV and are grateful for where we live until we go outside. We had rain a few weeks ago and the streets are sheer ice and likely will be now for the entire winter. Ice + Extreme Cold = Why Are We Here Again??!!

love2travel Mentor

After the seared duck breast the other night we thought we should go healthier tonight so we are just having Mung Bean Vermicelli (cellophane) with Chicken Stir Fry (and lots of fresh veg).

notme Experienced

the other night i finally got to make the white turkey chili :) with sour cream, salsa, corn tortilla chips and jalapeno jam

last night i made pork chops in the crockpot w/sauerkraut and PIEROGIES (or pierogi, if you will) - potato, onion & cheese and used the bette hagman pasta recipe again. boiled then fried w/onions and mushrooms. time consuming? yep. worth it? YEHHHH!!! love pierogies and haven't had any in nearly 2 years. (made extra for the freezer)

tonight is macaroni & cheese w/stewed tomatoes. comfort city, here i come :)

ps - we are 'pantry eating' here in this winter - eating things we put up from the garden. jalapeno jam, sauerkraut, stewed tomatoes :)

freeatlast Collaborator

I know - sometimes we think we are quite insane. We cannot wait to move to Croatia! The Mediterranean climate is certainly a far cry from this frigid barren giant ice cube!

Wonderful! My brother in law teaches classes there several times a year. My sister in law LOVES it there.

GFdad0110 Apprentice

roast beef tonight with rice and black beans.

My roast beef is a favorite in my family and its so easy. I take a bottom round or rump roast (about 3 lbs.) season it (I use adobo) and sear it. After i put a good sear on it I roast it (covered) on a bed of onions and about 3/4 cups of water on the bottom in the same dutch I used to sear it in for about 3 hours, basting it once an hour. That is usually long enough so that it shreds pretty easy. I shred it in its own juice and the bed of onions i cooked it on. Thats it. I went to my moms house for Christmas and made that. The next week she called me to find out the recipe. Its usually the other way around.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sora Community Regular

Breaded Sole

Brown and wild rice

Kale

And some leftover PB cookies.

sora Community Regular

last night i made pork chops in the crockpot w/sauerkraut and PIEROGIES (or pierogi, if you will) - potato, onion & cheese and used the bette hagman pasta recipe again. boiled then fried w/onions and mushrooms. time consuming? yep. worth it? YEHHHH!!! love pierogies and haven't had any in nearly 2 years. (made extra for the freezer)

I love perogies too, I will have to try that recipe.

Now I want sauerkraut too. :huh:

love2travel Mentor

Wonderful! My brother in law teaches classes there several times a year. My sister in law LOVES it there.

Wow - what and where in Croatia does he teach? Our house is in Istria, a 2.5 hour drive or ferry from Venice. It is gobsmackingly gorgeous there! :)

collgwg Contributor

baked chicken pieces tossed in herb mixture of herbmare tumeric ginger onion flakes garlic powder

mashed sweet potatoes with nature ballance butter

home made cranberries with ciamnon clementine rind coconut nectar and agave

and green beans

love2travel Mentor

baked chicken pieces tossed in herb mixture of herbmare tumeric ginger onion flakes garlic powder

mashed sweet potatoes with nature ballance butter

and green beans

That sounds like a very balanced yummy meal! I have just read on another thread about your troubles - so sorry you are going through so much. :( I hope you enjoy your dinner and that it will agree with your body! :)

lucia Enthusiast

Just had to say "YUM!"

Tonight it's:

-wok-fried sliced red peppers, cabbage, kernel corn, marinated tofu, peanuts, and vermicilli rice noodles wrapped up in steamed collard green leaves

-curried sweet potato soup (made with coconut milk!)

(yes, vegetarian)

Lisa Mentor

Roasted leg of lamb, marinaded in rosemary garlic and lots of other stuff, served with mint jelly.

Brown and wild rice and peas.

I threw in two whole cloves of garlic to roast and will make garlic butter adding finely chopped fresh parsley....great with baked potatoes with a zazz.

beebs Enthusiast

Braised lemon, chicken and rice stew with Thyme and smoked paprika.

love2travel Mentor

Tonight is pizza night! I cannot wait to roll out my dough. We found fresh buffalo milk mozzarella and fresh basil to tear on it. Will serve it with arugula salad with lemon Parmesan vinaigrette. Humble and yummy. :D

GFdad0110 Apprentice

Tonight is pizza night! I cannot wait to roll out my dough. We found fresh buffalo milk mozzarella and fresh basil to tear on it. Will serve it with arugula salad with lemon Parmesan vinaigrette. Humble and yummy. :D

that sounds awesome. I do the same thing with the fresh basil. Never tried buffalo mozzarella though.

love2travel Mentor

that sounds awesome. I do the same thing with the fresh basil. Never tried buffalo mozzarella though.

Fresh buffalo mozzarella is hard to find - we got it in an Italian specialty store. It only lasts for a few days so you buy it and use it quickly. It is more flavourful than regular fresh mozzarella and has a lovely creamy texture. I just love it.

GFdad0110 Apprentice

are you dairy free?

love2travel Mentor

are you dairy free?

I was for several months then gradually found I could tolerate some cheese (i.e. buffalo, goat, aged cow and sheep). Thank goodness! But I do use lactose-free milk as I cannot tolerate regular. And I do not eat ice cream.

GFdad0110 Apprentice

I was for several months then gradually found I could tolerate some cheese (i.e. buffalo, goat, aged cow and sheep). Thank goodness! But I do use lactose-free milk as I cannot tolerate regular. And I do not eat ice cream.

how about yogurt? My son (22 months) is gluten free and lactose free, but I heard yogurt especially the greek style yogurt can be tolerated by the lactose intolerant crowd.

love2travel Mentor

how about yogurt? My son (22 months) is gluten free and lactose free, but I heard yogurt especially the greek style yogurt can be tolerated by the lactose intolerant crowd.

I can have Greek yogurt but stick to lactose-free regular yogurt when I want flavoured. Greek yogurt is so wonderful, especially in Middle Eastern cookery. Love it drizzled with chestnut or sage-infused honey and fresh figs (which we only get once a year where I live) and toasted walnuts. Well, heck - I love it with anything! :P

burdee Enthusiast

Hot from the oven homemade buckwheat/corn/caraway seed bread (mock rye) with Amy's Lentil Vegetable soup for dinner. Fortunately my husband loves soup. (I made clam chowder from scratch last night.) This is my first attempt at homemade gluten-free yeast bread. After all the work to make the bread, I will just open cans of soup. Mine will be the Amy's with some added vegies (carrots and kale), because those canned soups are never chunky enough for me. My husband likes the Progresso soups which are free of his allergens (I think 3 of them are). I'm really looking forward to hot bread from the oven dripping with Earth Balance soy/dairy free spread. I haven't had fresh baked bread for the past 8 years (since I was diagnosed and went gluten-free).

love2travel Mentor

Hot from the oven homemade buckwheat/corn/caraway seed bread (mock rye) with Amy's Lentil Vegetable soup for dinner. Fortunately my husband loves soup. (I made clam chowder from scratch last night.) This is my first attempt at homemade gluten-free yeast bread. After all the work to make the bread, I will just open cans of soup. Mine will be the Amy's with some added vegies (carrots and kale), because those canned soups are never chunky enough for me. My husband likes the Progresso soups which are free of his allergens (I think 3 of them are). I'm really looking forward to hot bread from the oven dripping with Earth Balance soy/dairy free spread. I haven't had fresh baked bread for the past 8 years (since I was diagnosed and went gluten-free).

So, tell us - did you enjoy your warm home-baked bread? Eight years is a long time!

burdee Enthusiast

So, tell us - did you enjoy your warm home-baked bread? Eight years is a long time!

No yet. Still waiting for it to finish rising, baking and cooling. LOL

I probably wouldn't have had to wait so long if I weren't allergic to most common baking ingredients (dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, nutmeg and vanilla) as well as gluten intolerance. Fortunately I recently found a great baking book which excludes 5 of my 7 allergens.