This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Marilyn R Community Regular

Burdee, I don't know if it's fact or fiction, but there have been quite a few older posts about cc with Amy's foods. I've avoided them based on this forum, but I'm not sure that's necessarilly correct.

We had pulled smoked pork on toasted cheese bread (Chebe's) with mashed potatoes tonight. I'm feeling guilty about not having anything green, but we loved our dinner.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

burdee Enthusiast

Burdee, I don't know if it's fact or fiction, but there have been quite a few older posts about cc with Amy's foods. I've avoided them based on this forum, but I'm not sure that's necessarilly correct.

We had pulled smoked pork on toasted cheese bread (Chebe's) with mashed potatoes tonight. I'm feeling guilty about not having anything green, but we loved our dinner.

I avoid any of Amy's foods which contain my diagnosed allergens. So any Amy's food that are free of my allergens don't bother me at all. I often wonder, when people talk about CC from products, if they really have other undiagnosed allergens, besides gluten intolerance. I've only had one CC incident (from gluten) in 8 years. That occurred at a Mexican restaurant, where they fried their homemade tortilla chips in the same oil where they fried their flour tortilla entrees. I never again ate their chips, but I found one entre which I loved and ate there many times w/o incident ince that first CC incident.

burdee Enthusiast

So, tell us - did you enjoy your warm home-baked bread? Eight years is a long time!

Yes, I loved the taste and texture of my bread, which tasted more like pumpernickel than rye. I was a bit disappointed that the bread didn't rise more, but it did double in size. So I guess it did what it should. Next time I'll try a different recipe from that book (The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook by Cybele Pascal) and see whether the same thing happens.

Skylark Collaborator

Homemade chicken soup with mushrooms, carrots, celery, bok choy, and various other stuff from the fridge. I added a little gluten-free miso for flavor.

rarmama Apprentice

Made a turkey roast with mashed potatoes, gluten free gravy, steamed baby peas and gluten free Yorkshire puddings. I wasn't sure about the Yorkshires...they're a favorite around here. The gluten free ones tasted mostly the same, but the texture was so different...they were pretty good, but just not the same. The kids seemed to like them though.

love2travel Mentor

Yes, I loved the taste and texture of my bread, which tasted more like pumpernickel than rye. I was a bit disappointed that the bread didn't rise more, but it did double in size. So I guess it did what it should. Next time I'll try a different recipe from that book (The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook by Cybele Pascal) and see whether the same thing happens.

Yes, I know how you feel about it rising. Some breads just don't. There are a few that do - I like the recipes in the Culinary Institute of America gluten-free Baking book - there are recipes for bagels, English muffins, doughnuts...

love2travel Mentor

Thai Green Curry Chicken (making my own curry paste) with Lemongrass and Kaffir Lime Leaves

Wide Cellophane Rice Noodles

Julienned Carrot and Daikon "Pickles"

Blood Orange Panna Cotta

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Yes, I know how you feel about it rising. Some breads just don't. There are a few that do - I like the recipes in the Culinary Institute of America gluten-free Baking book - there are recipes for bagels, English muffins, doughnuts...

What types of flours does the CIA use in their recipes? Would like to know if it is worth it for me to buy the book since I can't use very many grains - no amaranth, millet, quinoa, masa harina, garfava.....

love2travel Mentor

What types of flours does the CIA use in their recipes? Would like to know if it is worth it for me to buy the book since I can't use very many grains - no amaranth, millet, quinoa, masa harina, garfava.....

They use white rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch and albumen in the focaccia.

Their lean bread includes white rice flour, potato starch, guar gum, albumen, defatted soy flour and whey powder.

In their multigrain bread they use the same as the lean bread but include a soaker of yellow cornmeal, flaxseed, caraway and sesame seeds.

I really like the sourdough, too. It contains white rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, albumen as well as butter and buttermilk, of course.

There is also a sourdough-multigrain bread I have not yet tried.

The jalapeno-cheddar bread is very good if you can have cheese.

The egg bread is delicious.

There is a recipe for soft rolls, one for cinnamon raisin bread (have not tried), and Naan which is lovely.

The bagels are great and contain the same as the lean bread plus the usual ingredients; the bialys is delicious and contains the same as above with poppy seeds and onion.

Oh, yes. The pretzels! Yum. They contain the same as above. Same with the English muffins. The doughnuts are fried. There is a recipe for stollen I have not made yet. The cinnamon buns are actually rolled out and very good. They contain a "cinnamon smear" and "pan smear" along with white rice flour, brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch and albumen.

There are tons of dessert things such as tarts, cakes, cookies, quick breads...

And you must try the pizza crust if you can. It contains white rice flour, tapioca starch and defatted soy flour. You pipe out the dough. I have a great recipe where you actually knead and roll out the dough which I love.

There are recipes for crackers and even puff pastry and choux pastry for cream puffs. Oh, and scones.

They also like to use sparkling water in their bread recipes.

So, it looks as though it could be safe for you. I actually love to use recipes including amaranth, sorghum, chickpea, garfava, sweet potato, millet, yellow corn flours. My collection is huge.

The recipes in this book create restaurant-quality goods and I adore it.

mushroom Proficient

Thank you so much for posting those flours, love2eat. Most of them look good except the soy. Do you have any experience in subbing for that? Yes, I like to use other flours too, when I can - grainwise, I am pretty much limited to sorghum and buckwheat though. Can't get sweet potato here - will have to get some in June. I guess you can float the CIA cckbook out of the South American River? :)

lucia Enthusiast

I love this thread. I get inspiration from it. Two things:

1. I made hasselback potatoes the other night. I'd never heard of them before a post from love2travel. They were easy(ish) and delicious. Highly recommended!

2. Tonight's meal, vegetarian as usual:

-grated carrots & beets, marinated in rice vinegar, sesame, sugar, salt & seaweed (I made use of one of those bottles of 'rice seasoning' from the Asian market. I wish I could buy ground seaweed in a bottle there too. Is that possible to get?)

-braised, sweet-n-sour kabocha squash

-wok-fried baby bok choy tips with garlic & cashews, served with rice

love2travel Mentor

I love this thread. I get inspiration from it. Two things:

1. I made hasselback potatoes the other night. I'd never heard of them before a post from love2travel. They were easy(ish) and delicious. Highly recommended!

2. Tonight's meal, vegetarian as usual:

-grated carrots & beets, marinated in rice vinegar, sesame, sugar, salt & seaweed (I made use of one of those bottles of 'rice seasoning' from the Asian market. I wish I could buy ground seaweed in a bottle there too. Is that possible to get?)

-braised, sweet-n-sour kabocha squash

-wok-fried baby bok choy tips with garlic & cashews, served with rice

I'm so glad you tried the hasselback potatoes! They are different and look beautiful, too. And just think of all the flavour combinations possible! Yum. :P

burdee Enthusiast

We're having Applegate Farms chicken and apple sausages cooked with saurkraut, apples, apple juice and cinnamon with leftover sweet potatoes (mixture of yellow, orange and purple). We have the sausage and saurkraut dish at least once a week, because my husband has German heritage and I lived in Germany for 2 years and love sausages. (I make enough for 4 servings which allows me to freeze 2 future dinners.)

GFdad0110 Apprentice

Roasting a chicken right now some rice on the side. Sounds boring compared to what everyone else is cooking up. Gonna make stock with the left over carcass.

love2travel Mentor

Roasting a chicken right now some rice on the side. Sounds boring compared to what everyone else is cooking up. Gonna make stock with the left over carcass.

Roast chicken is NOT boring at all. Who could possibly resisit it? Not me! :P

love2travel Mentor

Thank you so much for posting those flours, love2eat. Most of them look good except the soy. Do you have any experience in subbing for that? Yes, I like to use other flours too, when I can - grainwise, I am pretty much limited to sorghum and buckwheat though. Can't get sweet potato here - will have to get some in June. I guess you can float the CIA cckbook out of the South American River? :)

I'm sorry about all your restrictions. :( Soy flour is very high in protein - that is why it is so good in things such as pizza when you want some elasticity. So far I have not found a substitute but will continue trying!

No problem with floating the CIA cookbook to you but will have to wait for spring thaw as it is so darned cold here! Hope you are not in a rush!! :P

GFdad0110 Apprentice

Roast chicken is NOT boring at all. Who could possibly resisit it? Not me! :P

me neither, just looking at the other posts using all those ingredients. especially you using compound butter when you roast a chicken. Reading your posts gives me the impression that you are a master in the kitchen.

alex11602 Collaborator

Tonight we are making what my daughter calls crumbly burgers (browned and seasoned ground beef mixed with cheese and ketchup) and oven fries. Extremely simple kid friendly meal since my husband and I have been running around getting registered for college classes which start tomorrow :)

mushroom Proficient

I'm sorry about all your restrictions. :( Soy flour is very high in protein - that is why it is so good in things such as pizza when you want some elasticity. So far I have not found a substitute but will continue trying!

No problem with floating the CIA cookbook to you but will have to wait for spring thaw as it is so darned cold here! Hope you are not in a rush!! :P

No, no, sorry but thank you, that was not what I was implying in the "floating" part, just trying to be funny because we can nae say its name here. I can order it perfectly well when I get over there in June if it is available from that south american river place, is what I was trying to say. Too cheap to pay postage over here :P

love2travel Mentor

No, no, sorry but thank you, that was not what I was implying in the "floating" part, just trying to be funny because we can nae say its name here. I can order it perfectly well when I get over there in June if it is available from that south american river place, is what I was trying to say. Too cheap to pay postage over here :P

Yes - and I was trying to be funny back but today's fog got in the way! :lol:

cahill Collaborator

I was STARVING and had waited to long to eat soooo it was a super quick meal.

I had some ground lamb which I browned with onion and garlic, threw in some grated carrots and leftover plain cooked rice.

Either it was EXCELLENT or I was super duper hungry ( probably both :D )

freeatlast Collaborator

I was STARVING and had waited to long to eat soooo it was a super quick meal.

I had some ground lamb which I browned with onion and garlic, threw in some grated carrots and leftover plain cooked rice.

Either it was EXCELLENT or I was super duper hungry ( probably both :D )

UUMMMMM. That sounds good!

love2travel Mentor

As it is currently -51F with windchill, it is a great day for soup.

Smoked Chipotle Black Bean Pureed Soup with Crispy Shallots

Homemade gluten-free Buttermilk Biscuits with the Blood Orange Marmalade I just made

Homemade gluten-free Cherry Tarts (I should say "tart" singular - I cannot allow myself to have more than one!)

GFdad0110 Apprentice

boiling my left over chicken carcass (my first time) for stock and chicken and rice soup tonight. Has my home smelling really good right now.

love2travel Mentor

boiling my left over chicken carcass (my first time) for stock and chicken and rice soup tonight. Has my home smelling really good right now.

I was actually just thinking about that a couple of minutes ago. A slow simmer is actually better than boiling BUT sometimes you just do not have the time to simmer for a couple of hours! Either way, it works just fine and I hope you love your soup.

It is mighty cold here right now (windchill -51F) so soup sounds sooooo good. :)