This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

sa1937 Community Regular

Ah meatloaf! We haven't tried making that since going gluten-free in January. Can you post the recipe? Hubby usually make the meatloaf in our house so I'll give him some tips on adapting it to gluten-free.

I really don't use a recipe for meatloaf...it's one of those things I've probably made hundreds of times so I don't measure anything. Irish Heart may have one as she's a gourmet cook...and I just want to eat. laugh.gif

Unless you have a special meatloaf recipe, the only thing I needed to do for mine is use gluten-free bread crumbs instead of using regular gluteny bread. Would that work for your hub?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

sa1937 Community Regular

Tonight I've having BBQ pork using Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet & Spicy BBQ sauce (I threw a small sirloin pork roast in the oven last night with my meatloaf), leftover mashed potatoes and fresh green beans.

Lisa Mentor

Unless you have a special meatloaf recipe, the only thing I needed to do for mine is use gluten-free bread crumbs instead of using regular gluteny bread. Would that work for your hub?

That's what I do, too. I always have some gluten free bread crumbs in the freezer for quick access.

Hunts meatloaf sauce has a pretty good recipe on the label.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Well, it's hot as heck - 100. Supposed to get up to 106 over the next few days.

Making chilaquiles tonight - may just drink smoothies or gazpacho the next few days.

And it's fizzy fruit drink time - little but of fruit juice and a bunch of sparkling water....drink drink drink. Hot!!

alex11602 Collaborator

Ah meatloaf! We haven't tried making that since going gluten-free in January. Can you post the recipe? Hubby usually make the meatloaf in our house so I'll give him some tips on adapting it to gluten-free.

Looks like a broiled steak, potatoes and green/yellow beans for dinner. I would love to grill the steak outside but the grill needs repair-it won't heat above 300 degrees. :(

Not a recipe, but for meatloaf we use the same recipe we used pre gluten free and just sub crushed rice chex or crushed gluten free rice krispies for the breadcrumbs.

IrishHeart Veteran

He can use the same amount of crumbs as he always has, just use gluten-free bread to make the crumbs. Some companies sell gluten-free breadcrumbs, but why pay for those? :)

I keep the heels of our homemade bread in the freezer. Take one out, thaw and run it through a mini- chopper or food processor and season with herbs, if you like (thyme, oregano, garlic, basil) and you've got yourself bread crumbs.

Works for meatballs, too!

No need to stop enjoying your favorite recipes because of the breading issue.

If there is anything I have learned from trial and error and all these clever cooks on here, there is ALWAYS a substitute.

Happy meat-loafing!! :lol:

dcns65 Apprentice

He used breadcrumbs and ritz or town house crackers so I'm thinking he can substitue the rice cereal. Poor guy wanted a saltine type cracker for his soup yesterday. The glutino ones just weren't the same. :(

We'll try the new combinations this weekend!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

He used breadcrumbs and ritz or town house crackers so I'm thinking he can substitue the rice cereal. Poor guy wanted a saltine type cracker for his soup yesterday. The glutino ones just weren't the same. :(

I haven't found a good Saltine sub. Tried Schar - they look like Saltines but taste more like Ritz.

mboebel Newbie

Making chilaquiles tonight - may just drink smoothies or gazpacho the next few days.

I love chilaquiles! We're having steak fajitas, rice & refried beans.

IrishHeart Veteran

Prickly and dcns65-

I wanted a saltine for my soup, too and the closest thing I found to use is Yehuda gluten-free Matzo crackers. I broke them up in my tomato soup and let them soak a bit and the taste was darn close. Just a thought! :)

Prickly and dcns65-

I wanted a saltine for my soup, too and the closest thing I found to use is Yehuda gluten-free Matzo crackers. I broke them up in my tomato soup and let them soak a bit and the taste was darn close. Just a thought! :)

I'll look for those! Thank you!

Ashlynn6 Rookie

Honey garlic shrimp on a bed of white rice. Also had mixed fruit on the side. Ziploc steamer bags are my new best friend lol

Hot dogs and potato salad (mashed potatoes for the kid), and fruit salad.

If I would have thought this out I could have cooked the dogs on the sidewalk since it got up to 101 today!!!

mushroom Proficient

Boy, do you live in Tucson, prickly?? The only time I was ever there it was 103 in May!

Boy, do you live in Tucson, prickly?? The only time I was ever there it was 103 in May!

Yes - the heat is a month early. Supposed to be in the low 90's/80's by the end of the week.

But it gets down in the 60's at night (at least right now) - so the mornings are very cool, as well as beautiful evenings.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Try the rectangle Glutino crackers. They have soy flour in them, don't know if that's a problem, but they are light and crispy and delicious. MY local HFS carries them, but I haven't seen them at Whole paycheck, so you might have to order online.

freeatlast Collaborator

Ian's chicken nuggets, baked fries, cole slaw, raw corn on the cob.

cougie23 Explorer

Looks like a broiled steak, potatoes and green/yellow beans for dinner. I would love to grill the steak outside but the grill needs repair-it won't heat above 300 degrees. :(

I saw you guys talking about meatloaf and I agree with sylvia...I don't measure! but If you guys want to try a new twist on meat loaf...try this! I have NEVER used bread in my meat loaf, for one thing...what I was taught( by a neighbor when in my teens)...was to use 1 to 2 eggs(depending on how much meat your using) and 1 to 2 POTATOES...once again depending on the size of the meat loaf!(if its christmas eve dinner...3...and a huge amount of meat...HaHaHa!!!)

You can substitute sweetpotatoe as well! Anyways...so you grate the potatoe...throw it in with the eggs and your favorite seasoning...(mine is trader Joes 21 saulute...I use it on EVERYTHING...including stirfried veggies!)in a big bowl with your(prefered)meat.

mush it all up!...now I usreally throw OTHER ingreidients as well(any or all can be used)such as:mushrooms...onions and /or garlic...sundried tomatoes...peppers(not any more...being a night shade)...pineapple...artichoke...blackolives( my dads favorite)...anything you like...get creative...sometimes we'll add some gluten-free BBQ sause or steak sause for flavoring!(this is for the INSIDE ingreadients)...so after you deside you THEME for that nights meatloaf...mush all ingredients together into a big ball...slightly flatten..oblong it out a little...and put it in your corningware/aluminum pan/tray or what ever you cook with...so long as there is room for grease to build...LOL! and not spill everywhere!

(you want a little olive or canolla oil on the bottom not to stick)I'm only going in detail...for those reading who have never made a meatloaf before...I know most of you guys allready know this stuff...so just bear with me...LOL!!!

OK...so the next step is to pre heat your oven for 325/350...depending on your oven...350 cooks faster (I cook EVERYTHING at 350...LOL!) :rolleyes::lol:

So the final thing is to cover it in sauce...depending on your THEME...you can use katsup...or bbq sauce..or gluten-free teriaki..(yummy)..or an orange glaze or plum sauce...Trader joes pomadoro spagehetti sauce or just plain olive oil and seasoning...your choice! cover it loosely with foil...( by loosely...I mean...sides slightly exposed and holes in the top...LOL!)then toss it in the oven for about 2 hours...give or take depending on the size...(and if it starts to burn...for Gods sake......take it out! Or turn it down!LOL!)

And thats how I make meat loaf...which I've had RAVE reviews on might I add...HaHaHa!!! :rolleyes::lol::lol:

Theres SO many ways to do it...but start with the basics:meat(Ground Beef/or Buffolo/or lamb/duck/turkey...pork...your choice! Pototoe(sweet/red/blue/russet/golden fingerlines/yukon...all unique flavors...and some eggs and spice!and fially some sort of sauce or oil on the outside to keep it moist and stop it from sticking to the pan! :P

try veggies like broccoli and /or eggplant as well!

But NO bread crumbs!!! :blink::rolleyes::lol: HaHaHa!!! Have fun and MAKE IT YOURS!!!

Hope this HELPS...Bon Appeteite!!!

COOKI'N with COUGIE :P

cougie23 Explorer

we had honey glazed tilapia with brown rice and carrots. I was shocked that my husband actually ate the fish with the glaze and he liked it. He has this thing for plain and flavorless food, it drives me nuts when I make amazingly delicious things and he just makes a face and microwaves a pizza. This is one I can definitely add to my "recipe book" I keep in my head.

LOL...I know how you feel! I go to ALL this trouble to make tasty HEALTHY combinations...and my 22 yr.old son sits there picks all the meat out of what ever dish I've come up with...puts all the veggies to one side...and the mushrooms and onions and garlic in their own piles...then eats everything SEPERATELY! :blink: I say TRY it together...you might like it! He laughs and says...thats ok! and eats it all seperate! (usreally making a buritoe out of the meat...with just meat and hotsauce!)But thats ok...everyone ELSE likes my cooking just the way I serve it! LOL! I guess theres allways One in every bunch..or so they say!LOL! :P

mboebel Newbie

Homemade pizza! Bob's Red Mill crust, fresh mozzerella, olive oil, fresh tomatoes, basil, green & black olives & onions.

Kind of can't wait to get home from work! I just wish it weren't 90 degrees out - kind of weird for May in the upper Midwest.....

love2travel Mentor

Just got back from nearly a month in Croatia and Italy. It was AMAZING! We had the time of our lives (as we usually do in Europe). It is not easy coming back but it is life. While away, we had such fantastic fresh food. Will share on another thread.

Sort of jetlagged so am making it easy tonight...

Korean Sweet and Spicy Shrimp

Mung Bean Noodles with homemade Nuoc Cham

Koean Scallion Pancakes

Strawberries with aceto balsamico tradizionale de Modena (we brought home more of this stuff from our trip - it is about $100 per 100 ml but SOOOOOOOOO worth it! You only need a few drops to go a long way.)

IrishHeart Veteran

Sort of jetlagged so am making it easy tonight...

Korean Sweet and Spicy Shrimp

Mung Bean Noodles with homemade Nuoc Cham

Koean Scallion Pancakes

Strawberries with aceto balsamico tradizionale de Modena

Welcome home!!

wow...Hard to believe a month went by since you told me you were leaving!! Glad you had a good time ;)

You still crack me up :lol: ...honey, when most people are jet- lagged and "making it easy" --they just heat up soup.

DINNER'S AT LOVE2's house tonight, EVERYBODY!

GET the BUS WARMED UP!!!!!!!! :lol:

love2travel Mentor

Welcome home!!

wow...Hard to believe a month went by since you told me you were leaving!! Glad you had a good time ;)

You still crack me up :lol: ...honey, when most people are jet- lagged and "making it easy" --they just heat up soup.

DINNER'S AT LOVE2's house tonight, EVERYBODY!

GET the BUS WARMED UP!!!!!!!! :lol:

It is hard to believe, isn't it? Man, I love Europe. Too much. Oh, the food! The availability of wondrous ingredients within miles astounds me. As our house is near the sea we have all sorts of sublime possibilities. Already practically counting the days until our next trip (end of September).

Hopefully tomorrow or Sunday will be a fancy pants meal. Though I cooked at our house in Croatia, of course I do not have all my equipment and spices there. Now I will be cooking like mad. :P But as I am feeling a bit out of it today am not doing anything wild and crazy.

love2travel Mentor

We are grilling tonight:

- porterhouse steak with chipotle compound butter and grilled portabello shrooms

- baked potatoes with bay leaves

- grilled (marinated) zucchini and red pepper skewers

- grilled watermelon with mint vinaigrette

IrishHeart Veteran

We are grilling tonight, too. :)

Sirloin patties with mixed herbs.

Baby potatoes with horseradish cream

Grilled tricolor peppers, half to top the burgers tonight

(and half I will bag, cool, julienne and marinate in balsamic vinagrette and use tomorrow on garlic crostini with goat cheese.)

Apple and dried cranberry cole slaw

Mixed tropical fruit salad with shredded coconut