This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

cougie23 Explorer

Same in this house, but even HE said...babe, my pants are getting tight.... :lol:

So have some strawberries with a little honey (if they're tart) :P ...or some lightly sauted apples with honey and cinnimon( maybe a few golden raisins and/or Dates as well) over non fat all organic yogurt! Or saute apples,strawberries,black berries and honey and eat as is!(the honey makes a warm sauce). Make your Dessert...and eat it too! LOL! :P ...just make it healthy and light! :D (thats how I conquer the old sweet tooth!)LOL! :lol:

The honey is great for healing the digestive track (google health benifits ofhoney)...it soothes as well! yeah...it can be a little fattening...but its an antioxident and a lot healther than other choices!(I consider it MEDICINAL) LOL!...I'll take my chances with HONEY any day!....the key is just don't go overboard! HaHaHa! but dessert is suposed to be a treat by its very nature! :blink::rolleyes::D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

Adalaide Mentor

The GI doc says it's okay, eat up, but my pants strongly object.

The obvious solution is not to wear pants!

Boring as ever but for once a meal that both of us will eat, tacos. I have a few flour tortillas left so I'll be having soft tacos since I've never been a fan of hard shells anyway.

IrishHeart Veteran

So have some strawberries with a little honey (if they're tart) :P ...or some lightly sauted apples with honey and cinnimon( maybe a few golden raisins and/or Dates as well) over non fat all organic yogurt! Or saute apples,strawberries,black berries and honey and eat as is!(the honey makes a warm sauce). Make your Dessert...and eat it too! LOL! :P ...just make it healthy and light! :D (thats how I conquer the old sweet tooth!)LOL! :lol:

The honey is great for healing the digestive track (google health benifits ofhoney)...it soothes as well! yeah...it can be a little fattening...but its an antioxident and a lot healther than other choices!(I consider it MEDICINAL) LOL!...I'll take my chances with HONEY any day!....the key is just don't go overboard! HaHaHa! but dessert is suposed to be a treat by its very nature! :blink::rolleyes::D

Thanks for the dieting tips, but we already have our smoothies every morning with berries of all kinds, pineapple, kale, flax seed, and honey and we get lots of fruits in our diets. I eat little in the way of "goodies".

I am talking about our weekend sweet that LOVE2TRAVEL knows I bake from scratch for my hubs that we need to cut back on a little.

IrishHeart Veteran

The obvious solution is not to wear pants!

Now, here's a girl after my own heart! :)

love2travel Mentor

I am talking about our weekend sweet that LOVE2TRAVEL knows I bake from scratch for my hubs that we need to cut back on a little.

Yes, you are a very, very skilled and accomplished cook and baker. We cook/bake high-end quality meals/desserts in our homes, don't we? Can you say croquembouche? Dacquoise? :P I know very well that you do it with love, just as I do. Love for the ingredients, the process, the art and craft and our dear sweet husbands. :D

IrishHeart Veteran

Yes, you are a very, very skilled and accomplished cook and baker. We cook/bake high-end quality meals/desserts in our homes, don't we? Can you say croquembouche? Dacquoise? :P I know very well that you do it with love, just as I do. Love for the ingredients, the process, the art and craft and our dear sweet husbands. :D

If you were standing right here in my kitchen right now, I do not know who would hug you first, me or my hubs. :wub:

yes, I can say croquembouche and Dacquoise, but my pants split at the very mention. :lol:

The problem is, my chocolate ganache and cream cheese/buttercream frosting will continue to make us chubby. HE can work out at the gym. I cannot :( ...yet!

We had profiteroles at our run-away elopement with our best friends to NYC. Who doesn't like those?

Hazelnuts...oh baby, they are sitting right here in my pantry...but I am ignoring them ...and they call to me...."grind me and make into a torte" ...the walnuts? They scream "make me into a dacquoise with coffee buttercream frosting....

See what I mean? yes, you do :lol:

love2travel Mentor

If you were standing right here in my kitchen right now, I do not know who would hug you first, me or my hubs. :wub:

yes, I can say croquembouche and Dacquoise, but my pants split at the very mention. :lol:

The problem is, my chocolate ganache and cream cheese/buttercream frosting will continue to make us chubby. HE can work out at the gym. I cannot :( ...yet!

We had profiteroles at our run-away elopement with our best friends to NYC. Who doesn't like those?

Hazelnuts...oh baby, they are sitting right here in my pantry...but I am ignoring them ...and they call to me...."grind me and make into a torte" ...the walnuts? They scream "make me into a dacquoise with coffee buttercream frosting....

See what I mean? yes, you do :lol:

Oh, I know. I think I just put on 5 lb reading culinary books today. My pants suddenly got tighter, dang it.

Guess what? As I cannot work out at the gym, I am starting swimming next week. I am the only one who can make my muscles stronger so I may as well have at it! ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marilyn R Community Regular

We had a good one tonight. DP smoked a chicken with my homemade adobe sauce. We had that with roasted cauliflower and a greek salad.

I made a boatload of soup today, maybe a gallon. All roasted vegies, no grains. Haven't decided whether or not to add cream. I'm thinking not. (It has a piece of bacon in it, carmelized the chopped onions in it. B)

IrishHeart Veteran

Guess what? As I cannot work out at the gym, I am starting swimming next week. I am the only one who can make my muscles stronger so I may as well have at it! ;)

Just go slow, hon---as we discussed....recall what my doc said, ok?

slow and steady wins the race.....people like us with severe muscle impairment and all....keep me posted ;) xxoo

IrishHeart Veteran

We had a good one tonight. DP smoked a chicken with my homemade adobe sauce. We had that with roasted cauliflower and a greek salad.

I made a boatload of soup today, maybe a gallon. All roasted vegies, no grains. Haven't decided whether or not to add cream. I'm thinking not. (It has a piece of bacon in it, carmelized the chopped onions in it. B)

adobe sauce...greek salad...heaven!! (slurp)

I vote "no cream"-- if it's already "thick" from the onions-- sounds YUMMY, hon. :)

love2travel Mentor

Just go slow, hon---as we discussed....recall what my doc said, ok?

slow and steady wins the race.....people like us with severe muscle impairment and all....keep me posted ;) xxoo

Don't worry - I won't forget! I'm planning to start with just walking in water and floating on my back. My PT told me not to do the front crawl but to swim on my back as the front crawl would put me in a bad position for my back/discs, etc. But I'm not doing that until I've walked and floated first. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Don't worry - I won't forget! I'm planning to start with just walking in water and floating on my back. My PT told me not to do the front crawl but to swim on my back as the front crawl would put me in a bad position for my back/discs, etc. But I'm not doing that until I've walked and floated first. :)

Perfect plan! No crawl yet. Heat and stretch gently first.... and ice after.

okay, sorry to interrupt the dinner chat, folks... :lol:

carry on!!

love2travel Mentor

Heat and stretch gently first.... and ice after.

okay, sorry to interrupt the dinner chat, folks... :lol:

carry on!!

Well, you DID mention heat and ice! :lol: And stretching gently can apply, too. Not like it used to...gluten-free bread dough doesn't quite behave like gluten dough does.

sa1937 Community Regular

Yes, dinner, Irish! Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Ice Cream. The end. laugh.gif

Edit: No heat, just ice...as in cream.

Edited by sa1937
IrishHeart Veteran

Yes, dinner, Irish! Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Ice Cream. The end. laugh.gif

Edit: No heat, just ice...as in cream.

crappers, Syl !!---now I want HD ice cream....hold on........honey!!! can you go to the store before it closes????!!!!!!!! :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Well, you DID mention heat and ice! :lol: And stretching gently can apply, too. Not like it used to...gluten-free bread dough doesn't quite behave like gluten dough does.

:lol: :lol: :lol::lol:

I love you.

None of us "stretch quite like we used to" :lol:

You should have seen my attempt at "mock rye bread" today....it stretched (sort of) and it was GOOD!

Hubs is in heaven.

sa1937 Community Regular

crappers, Syl !!---now I want HD ice cream....hold on........honey!!! can you go to the store before it closes????!!!!!!!! :)

...and you just told us your pants don't fit? laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

IrishHeart Veteran

...and you just told us your pants don't fit? laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

but Adelaide told me I should take them OFF!!! :lol: and now, I have ROOM!!!!

IrishHeart Veteran

Boring as ever but for once a meal that both of us will eat, tacos. I have a few flour tortillas left so I'll be having soft tacos since I've never been a fan of hard shells anyway.

wait....did you just say flour tortillas??

masa harina (corn) flour tortillas, I presume....you scared me for a sec.... :unsure:

sa1937 Community Regular

but Adelaide told me I should take them OFF!!! :lol: and now, I have ROOM!!!!

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Adalaide Mentor

Their brown rice flour I think. Maybe. Something like that. They don't roll as well as I remember tortillas rolling, but it worked out okay.

I'm so frustrated with the whole masa harina thing... I decided I wanted arepas and while we have a huge latino population here all I can find is masa harina. The blog I read (from a gluten free blogger) suggested PAN brand of the flour I want but it says right on it that it may have wheat. I just want a sandwich!!! I'll try again tomorrow to find what I want, there is still one market I didn't stop at and then I'll just risk everything the PAN.

IrishHeart Veteran

I got my masa harina from nuts.com

They have a certified gluten-free section.

GREAT stuff and I have had zero problems with all of their products. I am a "quick responder", :rolleyes: so I can say that honestly.

http://nuts.com/gluten-free/

Adalaide Mentor

Thanks, I'll check that out for some masa harina to make tortillas with. Sadly masa harina is not what is used for arepas, which is why I've become so frustrated. The stores all have tons of masa harina, but no masarepa. The only risk with PAN is from CC (which I've had issues with in the past with dried fruit) but apparently a lot of people on gluten free diets use it with no issues. The only other brand I've found is Goya which has the same CC warning. I want a sandwich so bad though that I think I need to just suck it up and see what happens. The glutenfreegirl blog recommends the brand so maybe I'm just letting my rampant paranoia get to me.

IrishHeart Veteran

The glutenfreegirl blog recommends the brand so maybe I'm just letting my rampant paranoia get to me.

I saw that recipe on there once. They look like English muffins! :)

A, I have to think she would not recommend something that would "get you" with CC.

GF Lover Rising Star

I am having a cup of instant gluten-free brown rice as I do not know how to cook and don't know the meanings of most of the foods your talking about. All I know is I pulled out some of moms old recipes and am trying to find a gluten-free Beef Consomme. I don't know what a Consomme is but I need one. :blink: