9578 replies to this topic

#2131 Simona19

Simona19

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

I'm totally nut free. I am allergic to almonds and Brazil nuts too, so I just stay nut free totally to be safe. I've been wanting to try sunbutter, but was afraid to.

I had anaphylactic shock to brazil nuts. Doctors saved me in hospital. At first I tried just very little sample- amount big like sesame seed. I tested it on my tongue. I didnít experience burning or tingling. Them I tried more another time. Now I can eat 2-3 Tbsp. I never liked peanut butter. When my mom sent me peanut butter, I gave it to my dogs as treat. Today I love it. I will make ďpeanutĒ butter sandwiches at least once a month. But I didnít eat any nuts, or sunflowers for 6 years prior this. When I tried the sunflower butter, I had my Epi pen and Albuterol spray next to me.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2132 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

Get yourself some cheap reading glasses. Available almost anywhere with varying prices. but still cheaper than prescription ones.

I buy them at Dollar Tree..can't get much cheaper than that and I have extra pairs all over the house. Posted Image
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#2133 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

Still away from home, housesitting so do not have all my stuff accessible. I am very limited but am making:

Twice-Stuffed Potatoes with Pancetta and Smoked Gouda
Seared Pork Chop with Pomegranate Reduction
Cucumber Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette

Your idea of limited makes me look like a total slacker! Of course I also have a tiny kitchen, and an almost as tiny budget. :rolleyes: But I like reading, it gives me great ideas! I'm going to be having leftover chicken thigh with rice noodles & green beans. For dessert I'll have a couple of Pamela's ginger snap mini bites. I love those cookies!
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#2134 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

Your idea of limited makes me look like a total slacker! Of course I also have a tiny kitchen, and an almost as tiny budget. :rolleyes: But I like reading, it gives me great ideas! I'm going to be having leftover chicken thigh with rice noodles & green beans. For dessert I'll have a couple of Pamela's ginger snap mini bites. I love those cookies!

Tiny kitchens do make a difference - I know. Our kitchen in Croatia is the size of a closet and it stresses me to cook in it. So we do almost all our cooking/grilling/baking outside.

I think you are doing very well in spite of your tiny kitchen! :)

Oh, and my wording of dinner was unclear. Before I came out here to housesit I made up the potatoes and froze them. So I did not make it here. I am driving back into town tomorrow to do more cooking both for my husband who is in town and for myself to bring back here. It is easier than loading up all my own pots and pans and ingredients though I kind of wish I did because I miss cooking like crazy! I'm doing some but nothing like I would be at home. But it is great to be out here in the country where it is very peaceful and quiet. :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#2135 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

There's an article in the NYTimes about the kitchen of Mark Bittman, formerly one of their food writers. I love it because it includes a photo of him standing in his kitchen, which looks like a typical NYC kitchen. :) Check it out. It might make you feel better, or even inspired!

http://well.blogs.ny...ns-bad-kitchen/

love2travel, I envy your getaway, even if it is a lot of driving back and forth.

Tonight:

-artichoke, grape tomato, goat cheese fritatta
-roasted potatoes with rosemary

Vegetarian (& easily made dairy-free by leaving out the goat cheese)

#2136 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

There's an article in the NYTimes about the kitchen of Mark Bittman, formerly one of their food writers. I love it because it includes a photo of him standing in his kitchen, which looks like a typical NYC kitchen. :) Check it out. It might make you feel better, or even inspired!

http://well.blogs.ny...ns-bad-kitchen/

love2travel, I envy your getaway, even if it is a lot of driving back and forth.

Tonight:

-artichoke, grape tomato, goat cheese fritatta
-roasted potatoes with rosemary

Vegetarian (& easily made dairy-free by leaving out the goat cheese)

It is a lovely getaway - large log house, stone fireplace - as easy as it gets. And the snow is melting a bit today so it is warm outside!

Mark Bittman is a credible cook and food writer. Thanks for posting the photo - it surely about the same size as our Croatia kitchen! Makes me feel better. Our Canada house's kitchen is gigantic so I am quite spoiled. :)

Your fritatta sounds delicious! I bet it was.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#2137 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

OK - am driving home this evening to cook. I will be making comfort food:

James Beard's Homestyle Meatloaf
Roasted Garlic Potato Puree with Caramelized Shallots
White Wine Braised Brussels Sprouts
Caramel Pudding

#2138 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

Caramel Pudding

I got curious, and just now figured out what caramel is, basically almost-burnt sugar (just like the caramelized onions). I never made it before, so until now it was something that showed up in desserts at restaurants or in ice-cream. Sadly, as much as I like the taste of caramel, I don't want to try to make it myself now, since I'm avoiding sugar these days. :(

I went to the Farmers' Market today:

-gingery carrot pureed soup
-smashed wasabi sweet potatoes (I got clued into 'smashed' v.s. 'mashed' potatoes from reading love2travel's posts)
-stir fried kale with sesame
-vegan kim chee

Vegetarian AND vegan (I use a wasabi-infused oil, instead of butter). Actually, no gluten, egg, dairy, or soy.

Last night's frittata was delicious. :)

#2139 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:23 AM

I got curious, and just now figured out what caramel is, basically almost-burnt sugar (just like the caramelized onions). I never made it before, so until now it was something that showed up in desserts at restaurants or in ice-cream. Sadly, as much as I like the taste of caramel, I don't want to try to make it myself now, since I'm avoiding sugar these days. :(

I went to the Farmers' Market today:

-gingery carrot pureed soup
-smashed wasabi sweet potatoes (I got clued into 'smashed' v.s. 'mashed' potatoes from reading love2travel's posts)
-stir fried kale with sesame
-vegan kim chee

Vegetarian AND vegan (I use a wasabi-infused oil, instead of butter). Actually, no gluten, egg, dairy, or soy.

Last night's frittata was delicious. :)

I SHOULD be avoiding sugar and am trying, actually, but once in awhile I make myself some yummy treats. Making caramel is actually fun but if you are not extremely careful, one second it will be golden brown and the next nearly black so you must remove it from the heat at the perfect time. So far I've never had to deal with it burned, thankfully.

Your vegetarian and vegan meal looks gorgeous. I love your wasabi smashed sweet potatoes and gingery carrot soup especially. Heck - the whole thing looks divine! Very impressive. I am really enjoying reading your posts. :)

#2140 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

-spicy Moroccan tomato soup, with coconut milk & toasted slivered almonds
-maple mustard roasted brussels sprouts
-sauteed polenta rounds

Vegan tonight!

love2travel, I know, it's so hard to avoid sugar ;) I just love to eat too much.

#2141 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

Ribs with Emeril's Rib Rub
Bush's Baked Beans - doctored up
Fennel and Cucumber Salad

:)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#2142 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

Tonight dinner was modified chicken Brunswick stew. (Modified by adding the last bits of things in the cupboard, like 1/3 a bag of black eyed peas, left out the okra (didn't have any), added extra veggies I had on hand, like kale (also went to the farmers market today, the seller said he picked it last night). Used up a bunch of veggies! :D

Served it with Papaya Buckwheat muffins and frozen papaya daquiris.

The muffins stole the show. The stew was really good, but the muffins were excellent. My DP and I ate three each, and that's not like us.

I didn't think the stew would freeze well, so BIL and neighbor each ended up with a pint for lunch tomorrow and I still have a quart and a pint leftover. I made it with one chicken breast quarter, bone in, that was on sale and a link of chorizo sausage, casing removed, so it was a pretty thrifty meal.

I have a papaya tree that's producing like crazy. I found out by accident that if you leave a green papaya in your car for two days in the deep south that it will ripen perfectly.

I used to let my yeast rolls raise in the bowl and then on a cookie sheet in the car parked in the sun when it was cold and drafty in the house. My DP used to laugh, but it made the rolls come out perfectly and I din't have to turn the heat on in the house to have good yeast rolls. :D
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#2143 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

the youngest was in from spring break at school so she drags all her buddies over here to eat... they don't have a problem with gluten free :) the operative word here is "free" lolz

chicken fried steak w/gravy
mashed taters
green beans w/mushrooms & cheese

for church youth luncheon:

white bean & sausage soup with kale
egg salad sandwiches (i bring my own on rudi's)

last night:
chicken breast roll-ups w/ham & swiss
mushroom 'gravy'
tinkyada shells w/velveeta (mac & chz)
yellow squash

(the gravy is the progresso cream of mushroom soup the chicken is baked in :) )

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#2144 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

I have a papaya tree that's producing like crazy. I found out by accident that if you leave a green papaya in your car for two days in the deep south that it will ripen perfectly.

Marilyn, where do you live that you have fresh papaya? That's so awesome.

#2145 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

Vegan meal: NOTE - I realized later that this isn't actually vegan. Vegans don't eat eggs. But it is dairy-free.

-garlicky mushroom masala omelet served over brown rice
-stir-fried green cabbage with fennel seeds

Both recipes are from Madhur Jaffrey's "Quick & Easy Indian Cookbook".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: