9533 replies to this topic

#2371 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

I have three 9 year old boys in my house. We are eating whatever I find in the freezer since I can't get rid of the two that aren't mine. Hubs is on the golf course in 100 degree heat so there's no relief (or trip to the store) in sight.

I just fed them the last of the retried beans and corn tortillas. They'll be chewing on my ankle next.

I've got to get a new plan for boys that are rapidly getting bigger than me.

Lol! I got a kick out of your post, prickly. My mom always fed us pancakes. My brothers would eat over 10 of them. One is 6'6", the other is 6'2. We're in our 50's now, but that brought back some good memories. We all loved split pea soup with ham or sausage too. She made huge pots of pea soup. That's a love or hate thing though.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2372 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

DP smoked a chicken today, just the way I like it. No sauce. Just mesquite chips and coal.

We had that with Greek salad and Glutino parmesan garlic bagel chips. WalMart is carrying them! Stonyfield Chocolate ice cream for desert.

Yesterday he smoked spare ribs I'd marinated overnight in papaya, cinnamon and brown sugar, then gave him a mop sauce of organic apple cider vinegar, minced jalopeno pepper, parprika and water, reduced. I had roasted root vegetable salad, he had supermarket potato salad. The ribs were fabulous! :)
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#2373 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

Beef and broccoli with basmati rice.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

Ah, but I was so much older then, Im younger than that now.

#2374 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

Grilled a trout and some corn on the cob tonight. For some really stupid reason I can't fathom I touched the foil and have a rather large and painful blister right on the end of my right index finger. <_<

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#2375 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:49 AM

Tonight I'm making carmelized onion meatloaf, it will be the first time for me making meatloaf since going gluten free and the first time the my 2 year old will ever have it so I am hoping that she likes it (fingers crossed).

#2376 Mateto

Mateto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

I had chicken breast and spuds with this seasoning I found randomly shopping.

And chocolate covered almonds :D

Oh, and Gluten Free Pantry chocolate-chip cookies :P
Gluten-free since St George's Day this year :)

#2377 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

Empanadas, empanadas, empanadas!

Wow, they were delicious! My husband ate 5, I had 3 and my son 10 (his were smaller). I used a dough from my recipe "Gluten free apple empanadas". I didn't put sugar in it. I made meat filling (beef, onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, 3 mashed potatoes, red paprika, and salt) and for my son, a vegetarian version (1 small can of vegetarian beans- mashed, 3 mashed potatoes, cumin, oregano, 3 Tbsp. peas from can and 2 Tbsp. of shredded Monterey jack cheese).

#2378 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

Empanadas, empanadas, empanadas!

mmmmmm

I had bean soup.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#2379 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

Tonight was homemade chick salad with tomato aspic and deviled eggs on a bed of lettuce. It was so suitable for a hot day in May.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#2380 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

Chopped off a piece of right (dominant) thumb yesterday on my mandoline so am not cooking. DANG IT! Amazing how much we take our thumbs for granted. Makes things tricky (like this typing which is taking ages).

Oooh, I did that on my middle finger!!!! The dude at urgent care wanted to put a stitch through my nail. I advised him to use glue if he wanted to live.

Hubs threw out the mandolin and I refuse to buy another one.

Hope you feel better soon. Yes, it is awkward. I was so happy when mine healed to a certain point.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#2381 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

Grilled shrimp in pomegranate /orange/ginger marinade
Kale slaw with red onion and carrot and bacon
Honeydew if it's worth a flip
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#2382 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

DP smoked a chicken today, just the way I like it. No sauce. Just mesquite chips and coal.

We had that with Greek salad and Glutino parmesan garlic bagel chips. WalMart is carrying them! Stonyfield Chocolate ice cream for desert.

Yesterday he smoked spare ribs I'd marinated overnight in papaya, cinnamon and brown sugar, then gave him a mop sauce of organic apple cider vinegar, minced jalopeno pepper, parprika and water, reduced. I had roasted root vegetable salad, he had supermarket potato salad. The ribs were fabulous! :)

marilyn: me and you could totally hang :D i think we smoked a chicken the same day lolz!!

hubby has been frustrated because he was afraid the Big Smoker Grill would make me sick and he bought a smaller bullet one to use - which he hates - ("i can't get the temperature to stay right! rawrrrr!!") so a few weeks ago, he reseasoned the cast iron grates on it and we smoked a pork shoulder. i did not get sick!!! yay!!! so we have been smoking *everything* :D our neighbors are drooly :D might do a salmon this weekend!

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#2383 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

Slow cooking a corned beef brisket with red potatoes, carrots and cabbage.
It's a grey day and damp so it will warm my bones. :)

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

Ah, but I was so much older then, Im younger than that now.

#2384 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

We are grilling steaks that I marinate in worchesshire (?) sauce , garlic and.black pepper. Red potatoes cut in little squares, tossed with olive oil and Italian seasoning, put in a foil packet and grilled. Regular salad. Hub's millionth birthday so I will make a BC brownie mix with Kraft Carmel bits, hot from the oven, vanilla ice cream and Carmel sauce.

Tomorrow. It's chili with ground turkey breast in case we haven't had enough turkey.

EVERYTHING SOUNDS SO YUMMY...I'm drooling...everyone has such yummy Ideas...ESPECIALLY the BBQ...MMMMmmmmmm!
OOOOOOOHHHHHHH....THIS LOOKS LIKE FUN!!! CAN I PLAY!!!LOL! :P
KAREN...MARILYN,you've been holding out on me! LOL!WHY didn't you mention this...!LOL...keeping it all to yourselves!I want to play "whats for DINNER!"

Phewwie...haven't decided yet! :( :blink: :lol:

Lovetotravel...pricklypear...hope your fingers are doing better!
Just cut the tip off my pinky on the cheesegrader last week myself...ouch!(making graded apple ,carrot cinnomon ,trailmix salad w/honey)
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#2385 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

marilyn: me and you could totally hang :D i think we smoked a chicken the same day lolz!!

hubby has been frustrated because he was afraid the Big Smoker Grill would make me sick and he bought a smaller bullet one to use - which he hates - ("i can't get the temperature to stay right! rawrrrr!!") so a few weeks ago, he reseasoned the cast iron grates on it and we smoked a pork shoulder. i did not get sick!!! yay!!! so we have been smoking *everything* :D our neighbors are drooly :D might do a salmon this weekend!

DP loves nothing better than smoking, watching sports and drinking beer. We live in the deep south so he gets a bit warped in the summer, the sunshine adds too much heat to the smoker! I really need to buy an umbrellla stand and a SUVP umbrella or some shade cloth for him. That whole chicken was on sale for a little over $6. I had it every day for lunch this week. (Greek salad, rice mac & cheese and smoked chicken, chef salad, smoked chicken on bagel chips and fruit salad. There's still enough left for pizza tomorrow (with pesto) and I'll probably be able to teach the dog a few more tricks with it. (Because it's smoked, I'm okay with using it more than 3-4 days.) He smokes whatever pork is on sale, and what's left over is always good for soup or etc. And yes, our neighbors are torturted too. I buy him some gluten-free beer occasionally for his grill adventures. I used to have to watch him like a halk, it was just nature for him to pour beer on the hunk of meat. He's been a Dennis the Menace, but he's finally got it down.

Way to go on reaseasoning the smoker. He actually bought a new one, but it was an end of season sale at a big hardware chain and got it for $40.

We're smoking duck this weekend. A Kentucky ducky Derby weekend, he says. I got him some Mexican beer to, because it's Cinco de Mayo. Duck is a little more involved, but it is out of this work and Duck Soup is over the top!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: