This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

love2travel Mentor

Oh man, K---that sounds LUSCIOUS.....what time should I be there? I can make margaritas or sangria.

Sounds like total party food to me. After Karen's we'll hit your place.

I was making

Veal marsala and Risotto Milanese and sauteed chard, but now, I am not so sure.

I want what you're all having. :D

Last night, I made "everything but the kitchen sink nachos"

(you know, refried beans, jalapenos, guac, olives, chicken, salsa, sour cream, etc ...anything I found in the fridge....goes on top)

Have to get in all my cheese consumption before Jan.2. :)

Ugh. Your veal Marsala and risotto and swiss chard sound absolutely disgusting. ^_^ That is such a classic, wondrous meal. I think we have room for all our meal ideas (at least my tummy does - it is now used to eating a bit more than usual). Lots of flying and airports involved but I think it'll be worth it! :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

IrishHeart Veteran

Lots of flying and airports involved but I think it'll be worth it! :P

:D yes....but this just brings this convo back to our original thought.

If we all just lived in our cottages in the gluten-free compound, we'd be able to graze from house to house every day.

GottaSki Mentor

I've got it -- we train the cabana boys to make all our recipes and send them out to run our Allergy Friendly Restaurant Franchise -- while we sit back and think of new delicious treats -- which will keep the restaurants popular and profitable -- which will provide us with all the toys, cabana boys, travel funds and groceries we need to live.....

....Happily Ever After....

Karen -- what's in the marinade????? Please.

mushroom Proficient

Lisa, in return, what's in the marinade?? Please!!

GottaSki Mentor

doh....totally forgot...and forgot to write it down...but am making again in the morning -- salmon is soaking in salt water in the frig overnight -- that is the first step

most recipes call for soy and I substituted molasses -- still not certain if molasses is good for me -- but know I can't do soy sauce -- will post marinade as soon as I whip some up tomorrow morning -- that would be about 18 hours from now -- hmmm what time is it there?

Editied...thank goodness you said that...just realized I only soaked in brine for a few hours last time then marinated overnight - double doh!!!

more jerky biz later :)

mushroom Proficient

Have you tried the Coconut Secret product, Coconut Aminos (from Whole Foods)?? It is a pretty good soy sauce substitute. That's what I find hardest, the things you season/sauce with like soy, tomatoes, lemon juice. There absolutely is NO substitute for tomatoes except the one RiceGuy makes called NoMato, but I can't do beets either. :( And vinegar is not a substitute for lemon juice :ph34r: -- at least not when you're talking fish. Okay, end of rant! Feel better now.

kareng Grand Master

I've got it -- we train the cabana boys to make all our recipes and send them out to run our Allergy Friendly Restaurant Franchise -- while we sit back and think of new delicious treats -- which will keep the restaurants popular and profitable -- which will provide us with all the toys, cabana boys, travel funds and groceries we need to live.....

....Happily Ever After....

Karen -- what's in the marinade????? Please.

This is the one I am following. It seems pretty standard. It isn't spicy. It tastes good. I think the choices of dried peppers I had at the grocery were too mild. Next time we are near the Mexican market, we can get better peppers and try again. Or maybe a mix of peppers next time.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/CynthiaPineda/CarneAdovada.htm

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Sausage and mash for dinner. Supper was stilton camembert port salut and soft goats cheese. Two more days of cheese to go. Nice bit of brie in the fridge for tomorrow. So that is 6 remaining meals, or, as I like to think of it, 6 opportunities for cheese and bacon. 2nd January here we come...

GottaSki Mentor

Have you tried the Coconut Secret product, Coconut Aminos (from Whole Foods)?? It is a pretty good soy sauce substitute. That's what I find hardest, the things you season/sauce with like soy, tomatoes, lemon juice. There absolutely is NO substitute for tomatoes except the one RiceGuy makes called NoMato, but I can't do beets either. :( And vinegar is not a substitute for lemon juice :ph34r: -- at least not when you're talking fish. Okay, end of rant! Feel better now.

coconut aminos? oh my...maybe I'll have to run over there early and put my jerky on hold -- hubby says the soy sauce version does taste better -- but since I can't taste it I can't compare and was quite happy with my "safe" batch. Vinegar does however help with some other sauces -- but sadly it does not replace lemon :(

GottaSki Mentor

This is the one I am following. It seems pretty standard. It isn't spicy. It tastes good. I think the choices of dried peppers I had at the grocery were too mild. Next time we are near the Mexican market, we can get better peppers and try again. Or maybe a mix of peppers next time.

http://whatscookinga...arneAdovada.htm

Thanks Karen!

Will give it a try for the guys -- I'm sure they will be quite happy :)

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Do the cabana boys have to be chosen from among the living? I mean, if we're cloning, resurrection should

be an option too....

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000056/

Adalaide Mentor

I went to the store for meat to make burgers and got totally distracted by Aidell's sausages marked down. Burgers got pushed back to tomorrow. Tonight we had some Italian sausages and a little pasta and sauce. I attempted to force my husband to eat Classico sauce, I even pureed it so it wouldn't be chunky. Didn't work out particularly well. I keep crossing my fingers for veal to go on sale so I can make sauce but fate is not cooperating with me. I may have to just give in and buy it at full price.

IrishHeart Veteran

Coconut aminos are a blessing to those of us who cannot do soy!!!. (I still cannot do soy)

I'm sorry, but there is no real decent sub for a tomato in a standard tomato- based recipe. I know, I tried. <_< (could not have toms for a year or so )

My culinary life sucked for a long time. I could not swallow dozens of food groups (citrus was a big one) without severe burning GI pain and I was miserably sad..

But whatever you are trying to make with "tomato sauce", there is almost always a plan B......or you can leave it out.

Except a BLT...then you're screwed.

Or learn to love a good ole "BL".... with canola mayo. see? Plan B. :)

If I can help anyone convert a recipe without some foods, I'll give it a shot. Or , I have no doubt that LOVE2 can tell you what to do for "subs"

If there is one thing I have learned in the past few years, it is this:

There's always a a plan B ...........or C or D.

mushroom Proficient

My plan B for a BLT is a BLA which is not blah at all, and it has no mayo with soy in it. Instead of slicing the avocado you mash it on to each of your toast slices, top each slice with bacon, put the lettuce in the middle and mash it together. Not only do you avoid the tomato and the mayo, but the avocado does not fall out in little pieces along the edges! :D

IrishHeart Veteran

207.gif

see, an awesome plan B

Adalaide Mentor

What is wrong with plan BBB? You can weave bacon into a breadlike substitute, then just put bacon in the middle. Bam, BBB sandwich! This covers everything except for those of us who aren't supposed to be eating bacon. <_<

I love the avocado idea! I can eat tomatoes but I may just try that for fun one day when I trial avocados. Sounds yummy but I do so hate how they slide off of and out of everything. Slippery little suckers!

GottaSki Mentor

BLT -- can't eat the Bacon, Tomato, Bread or Mayo -- but can have salmon jerky -- yum -- it is in the dehydrator now -- threw it on the back porch this time so my house won't smell like teriyaki salmon this time.

Oh -- and I make carrot, garlic onion puree for my "spaghetti" sauce and it is pretty darn good - am I still looking forward to my first BLT on Canyon Bakehouse - YOU BET ;)

SHROOMIE -- I didn't forget:

Jerky -- have only tried Salmon with this method -- will update when I try other meat.

Slice about 1/3" thick.

Soak in one quart cold water plus 1/2 cup NON-Iodiozed Salt for about a half hour

Rinse well and pat dry

Marinate overnight in fridge

Dehydrate for 10-12 hours -- I use an inexpensive dehydrator I found in the Amazon.-- I have read you can do this on oven turned to warm or a woman I met at my local nursery told me I could use the broiler of an old fashioned oven -- the pilot does the work - which I happen to have and am going to try soon.

Marinade (original recipe)

1/2 cup Soy Sauce

2 Tbsp Brown Sugar

1/4 tsp Freshly Ground Pepper

1 tsp Liquid Smoke

My first batch was made with:

1/4 cup Molasses

1/4 cup Brown Sugar

1/4 tsp Freshly Ground Pepper

I'm happy with my substitute -- but my fisherman says the original recipe is slightly better -- going to pick up some coconut amino very soon to give that a try.

IrishHeart Veteran

Starting the New Year

How to properly weigh yourself (this is according to our wise SYLVIA)

Can't believe I've been doing it incorrectly all these years!

WeighYourself.gif

IrishHeart Veteran

On that note, we're having PIZZA tonight:

throwing on some olives, shallots, portabellas, roasted toms and garlic, proscutto, arugula and 3 CHEESES

I'm going for broke. Tight pants be damned.

GottaSki Mentor

Nice! Thanks Sylvia and Irish for this helpful instruction - I too have been doing it all wrong ;)

mushroom Proficient

Why doesn't life automatically come iwth these handy instructions???

TiffanyE89 Newbie
kareng Grand Master

You have to be careful with these lists, you can't tell how old it is. Ingredients change. The lists can't possibly have every food in the store so don't limit yourself to them. Not sure if this person really knows what is gluten-free and what isn't. Check what country these lists are for, too. Sometimes ingredients are different in different countries.

The best way to determine if there is gluten in an item is to read the ingredients.

For example- Frito Lay USA has a bigger list on line. http://www.fritolay.com/your-health/us-products-not-containing-gluten-ingredients.html

GottaSki Mentor

Re-do of June Anniversaries tonight -- I was a zombie so slept thru our 25th :( & Mom and Dad celebrated their 60th -- for which I was a zombie and Mom was having serious health issues of her own...I'm doing great and she is improving so tonight we "celebrate" together:

Meatloaf -- one of my Dad's favs and we did have filet mignon just the other day -- when was that -- oh ya Christmas!

Mashed Potatoes and Gravy

Peas

Salad

Sinful Chocolate Cake with Pepperment Fudge Chocoate Bar Frosting to celebrate 60+25 years of wedded bliss????

For me -- Zu-noodles with shirmp and carrot pasta sauce -- canning a bunch of sauces today so I can get the sauce management outta my freezer :)

Adalaide Mentor

You know Irish, the solution to tight pants is to stay home and in jammies. If you aren't wearing pants, they won't be tight!

Happy Anniversary!!! Or um, whatever you're calling it tonight. Sounds lovely.

We're following through on our burgers plan tonight. I'll make some arepas and if everything goes as planned they'll come out of the oven just in time to cut them open and dress them for the burgers. I can't get a food diary out of my husband but I am pretty sure I have pinpointed what is causing his problems, and I don't know how in 5 years I missed it. Anyway, it seems almost certainly to be greasy foods. He won't be happy about it, but our fries are going in the oven tonight. :ph34r: