• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

Seven Hour Roasted Lamb Shoulder with Balsamic Onions
Parboiled and Roasted Baby Potatoes with Rosemary and Thyme
Saffron Glazed Carrots
Minted Peas
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2582 alex11602

alex11602

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

Meatloaf and spinach mashers for us tonight.

#2583 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:46 AM

It's so humid here, just the slightest movement and you bust a sweat. :(

So, outdoor cooking again, BBQ chicken legs, potato salad and just plain strawberries for dessert.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

Ah, but I was so much older then, Im younger than that now.

#2584 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

Posted Image

Made arepas this afternoon after work so I could have a chicken cheddar bacon ranch sandwich. I just went with the PAN brand and it's been a while and I feel fine so I'm guessing that I never had to be worried in the first place. (That CC warning on a package though is SO scary.)

The arepas are so absolutely amazing. The could have been a little more done in the middle but still absolutely delicious. I was so excited when I cut the first one and buttered it up and tasted it that I started to cry. I know no one but you guys will understand, I'm pretty sure my husband thinks I'm a little crazy and/or hormonal.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#2585 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

Made arepas this afternoon after work so I could have a chicken cheddar bacon ranch sandwich. .... I was so excited when I cut the first one and buttered it up and tasted it that I started to cry. I know no one but you guys will understand, I'm pretty sure my husband thinks I'm a little crazy and/or hormonal.

My eyes filled up a little for you just now. The sheer joy of having something we crave being fulfilled, and they LOOK great! Enjoy! Now, I want some too......

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#2586 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

Posted Image

Made arepas this afternoon after work so I could have a chicken cheddar bacon ranch sandwich. I just went with the PAN brand and it's been a while and I feel fine so I'm guessing that I never had to be worried in the first place. (That CC warning on a package though is SO scary.)

The arepas are so absolutely amazing. The could have been a little more done in the middle but still absolutely delicious. I was so excited when I cut the first one and buttered it up and tasted it that I started to cry. I know no one but you guys will understand, I'm pretty sure my husband thinks I'm a little crazy and/or hormonal.

We understand. This comes from someone who got tears in her eyes upon seeing gluten-free Chex and Rice Krispies. And the words gluten free on a menu. Heck, you should have seen me the first time I was served gluten-free brioche at bread service at a restaurant! I almost lost it. Thankfully no snorting happened. :lol: My kind husband understands me so understands this and tells me when he sees a gluten free commercial on TV or ad in the paper or whatever.

But those arepas sure do look good! It's been forever since I've made those things. Thanks a lot - yet another thing to add to my Make Soon list! :lol:
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#2587 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

I am having a cup of instant gluten-free brown rice as I do not know how to cook and don't know the meanings of most of the foods your talking about. All I know is I pulled out some of moms old recipes and am trying to find a gluten-free Beef Consomme. I don't know what a Consomme is but I need one. :blink:

We do have some experienced cooks here. Some, because we need too be.
Not being able to pop into restaurants, we tend to claim mastery in our own world. Well....not everyone, but some. B)

What cravings do you have? I think someone posted a recipe for Beef Consomme. Do you have others? :) We can help you make it easy, tasty and healthy....with the emphasis on EASY. B)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#2588 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

Now you behave yourself, Marilyn! You hear?

I'll try to, but I'm not good at behaving myself. Long history of not doing so.

P.S. We had pizza tonight.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#2589 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:23 AM

We do have some experienced cooks here. Some, because we need too be.
Not being able to pop into restaurants, we tend to claim mastery in our own world. Well....not everyone, but some. B)

What cravings do you have? I think someone posted a recipe for Beef Consomme. Do you have others? :) We can help you make it easy, tasty and healthy....with the emphasis on EASY. B)

Thanks Lisa. Yes, Irish Heart told me how to make the consomme, it's for braised sirloin tips.

I don't have much variety right now, but before long I'm going to try more sophisticated meals. I think my system will be ready.

My biggest problem is substitutions. I have never been a great cook, so I'm learning how to cook and what I can put in it.

One of my mom's recipes said to add some ingredient to taste, now how am I supposed to know how it should taste. Yes, I maybe challenged in the kitchen but I'm willing to learn. :P

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#2590 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:32 AM

I'll try to, but I'm not good at behaving myself. Long history of not doing so.

P.S. We had pizza tonight.

M, Women who "behave" never have any fun. ;) I like misbehaving.

STUFFED PEPPERS tonight

Mixed greens salad with goat cheese, toasted pecans, roasted pears and champagne vinaigrette

Blueberries and nectarines are in and they are fantastic.

I am resisting making them into a galette.

LOVE2TRAVEL is whispering "Go on, why don't you? Go on!"

(that's a Rebecca reference for you, L2T ;) Mrs. Danvers to our nameless narrator, telling her to jump)

so, Just Plain Sweet Blueberries and Nectarines.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#2591 dcns65

dcns65

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:45 AM

My son loves Lobster so tonight we are celebrating his graduation from 8th grade to high school with lobster! :D
Mom to 2 children with Celiac and husband with Celiac
Son-diagnosed Sept. 2011 with numbers off the chart, positive biopsy, hypothyroidism, ADHD, PDD (totally mainstreamed in School)
Daughter-diagnosed Jan. 2012 with no symptoms blood test positive, biopsy negative, hypothyroidism. Chose to go Gluten Free, dancer and straight A high school student
Husband-positive blood test, hypothyroidism and decided to skip the endoscopy

#2592 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:48 AM

I don't have much variety right now, but before long I'm going to try more sophisticated meals. I think my system will be ready.

My biggest problem is substitutions. I have never been a great cook, so I'm learning how to cook and what I can put in it.

One of my mom's recipes said to add some ingredient to taste, now how am I supposed to know how it should taste. Yes, I maybe challenged in the kitchen but I'm willing to learn. :P

Take it slow at first--with the eating, I mean. None of us ate like this right after DX. I could hardly choke down rice and boiled chicken. :blink:

As for substitutions, tell us what you need and we can help. :)

Do you mean things like bread crumbs in meatloaf or meatballs? Subs for fried chicken? Eggs? dairy? that sort of thing?

The "to taste" means basically, how hot or spicy or sweet do you like things? Some people add more "zip"to their food with pepper or chile powder and they season it "to their taste". Some people add more herbs de provence than is called for in a recipe because they like it that way.
For example, I use waaaay more basil, oregano, garlic, thyme, chervil, marjoram etc in my cooking than my mom. (I don't think she even has any of the last 4 in her house. :D )
When I first learned to cook in my 20's (and it was not from my Mom, :lol: I did it myself), I made the recipe "as is", to get the hang of it and understand how it was supposed to look and taste. Then, I made it MY way.

You can learn, too. Honestly, anyone who can read can learn to cook. Don't let it intimidate you, hon. None of us were born cooking. Some of us have a natural gift for it, but we all had to learn. YOU can do it!!

Damn, if you lived in Canada, I'd say go hang at LOVE2TRAVEL's house for a few weeks.
That would be like going to a cooking boot camp!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#2593 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

Damn, if you lived in Canada, I'd say go hang at LOVE2TRAVEL's house for a few weeks. That would be like going to a cooking boot camp!

We'll take the tiramisu van to her house when we're done partying! I'm sure we could all learn some new things.

It's noon and I still have no clue what's for dinner. I need to go shopping for a birthday present, my baby is going to be 16 next week. Maybe I'll just go to Wendy's and order the largest frosty they have with some fries to dip in it.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#2594 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

Chicken breast with brussel sprouts that are sauteed with balsamic vinegar and bacon, probably will make rice also.

#2595 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

M, Women who "behave" never have any fun. ;) I like misbehaving.

STUFFED PEPPERS tonight

Mixed greens salad with goat cheese, toasted pecans, roasted pears and champagne vinaigrette

Blueberries and nectarines are in and they are fantastic.

I am resisting making them into a galette.

LOVE2TRAVEL is whispering "Go on, why don't you? Go on!"

(that's a Rebecca reference for you, L2T ;) Mrs. Danvers to our nameless narrator, telling her to jump)

so, Just Plain Sweet Blueberries and Nectarines.

That is SO funny because as I was reading this I was hoping you would mention a galette or clafoutis. But I am SHOUTING, not whispering. Caught your Rebecca reference. We're full of wittiness these days. :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: