This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

sa1937 Community Regular

Thank you. Just looked it up. I doubt if I'll ever get much use out of that cookbook b/c I don't use yeast.

Do you think you could sub baking powder/baking soda to get the rise from it instead of yeast? I have no clue how it would work but Roben Ryberg uses it instead of yeast in her You Won't Believe It's Gluten-Free cookbook. And in her other cookbook The Gluten-Free Kitchen, she uses yeast for flavor but says it can be left out. Just a thought.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

We're having Tinkyada Brown rice spaghetti and I'm going to attept to make garlic bread sticks.

freeatlast Collaborator

Do you think you could sub baking powder/baking soda to get the rise from it instead of yeast? I have no clue how it would work but Roben Ryberg uses it instead of yeast in her You Won't Believe It's Gluten-Free cookbook. And in her other cookbook The Gluten-Free Kitchen, she uses yeast for flavor but says it can be left out. Just a thought.

No, hadn't thought about that. It wouldn't be the same texture, though, but might be worth a shot sometime :)

sa1937 Community Regular

No, hadn't thought about that. It wouldn't be the same texture, though, but might be worth a shot sometime :)

I don't know how it would translate with the recipes from Annalise Roberts' book either...wonder if some other adjustments would have to be made. If you try it, I think I'd cut the recipe in half so as to not waste ingredients in case you bake a brick.

Teri Lou Apprentice

We are breaking out the grill today! YAY Snow is finally off the deck! Now just for the gobs on the lawn to melt too....:)

So we are having grilled burgers: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hamburgers-by-Eddie/Detail.aspx

and sweet potato french fries.....need to find a dipping sauce that works with them....any ideas?

love2travel Mentor

Chili Rellenos with poblano peppers and homemade tomatillo sauce

Minted Cucumbers with Feta and Peppergrass and Lemon Vinaigrette

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Roasted turkey with Sausage Stuffing (Udi bread, cubed with cooked Beeler's Sausage, onions, shredded carrots, red peppers, mixed with an beaten up egg), some leftover veggies and a salad. Making either Pumpkin Crunch cake or Crock Pot Pumpkin Pie Pudding for dessert.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

freeatlast Collaborator

Pumpkin Crunch cake sounds goooooood!

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Pumpkin Crunch cake sounds goooooood!

You can search on myblessedlife and pumpkin to find the recipe I use. It was posted on Sept 20, 2010. I use a Betty Crocker's Yellow cake mix and only 1/2 cup better. It's good with pecan or with sliced almonds. This recipe is not a diet recipe. lol

sa1937 Community Regular

Pizza. I'm testing Annalise Roberts' recipe from Gluten-Free Baking Classics. Hope it turns out as I've had pretty good success with a couple of her gluten-free bread recipes.

Takala Enthusiast

______

for not using yeast in baking-

Re: baking soda and pure apple cider vinegar, or even lemon juice, can be easily used to leaven gluten free breads instead of yeast. You just don't have to let the loaves or breads "rise," with the fermenting yeast working with sugars, but bake them right away as it's the fizz from the soda and acid that does the trick. The texture is always going to be a bit of a challenge, anyway, as to finding and blending gluten free proteins that bake up with the similar sort of slight rubberyness- but not too bouncy.

freeatlast Collaborator

______

for not using yeast in baking-

Re: baking soda and pure apple cider vinegar, or even lemon juice, can be easily used to leaven gluten free breads instead of yeast. You just don't have to let the loaves or breads "rise," with the fermenting yeast working with sugars, but bake them right away as it's the fizz from the soda and acid that does the trick. The texture is always going to be a bit of a challenge, anyway, as to finding and blending gluten free proteins that bake up with the similar sort of slight rubberyness- but not too bouncy.

that makes a lot of sense, Takala. Thanks!

freeatlast Collaborator

Two roastbeef sandwiches made out of amaranth/rice biscuits with cheese and mustard with grapes and corn chips. Yum :)

love2travel Mentor

Tonight is British pub-like fare:

Bangers and Mash with Caramelized Onion Red Wine Sauce (plump Cumberland sausage from a guy who grew up in Cumberland, England and mashed roasted garlic potatoes with crispy shallots)

Shaved Raw Asparagus Salad with Pear Balsamic Vinaigrette, Shaved Parmesan and Toasted Pecans (OK, that's not British...)

More Coconut Cream Cake but this time with Orange Buttercream

Posted this in my mayo thread but I think it belongs here too:

I tried a new recipe tongight that was a hit. I took inspiration from this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amazing-Chicken/Detail.aspx

But instead of Italian bread crumbs I used crushed gluten-free corn flakes (Nature's Path) and cajun seasoning. It was wonderful! I couldn't even taste the Mayo.

Tommorow I am going to try to convert this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Scalloped-Potatoes-and-Onions/Detail.aspx

to gluten and dairy free.

Teri Lou Apprentice

Posted this in my mayo thread but I think it belongs here too:

I tried a new recipe tongight that was a hit. I took inspiration from this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amazing-Chicken/Detail.aspx

But instead of Italian bread crumbs I used crushed gluten-free corn flakes (Nature's Path) and cajun seasoning. It was wonderful! I couldn't even taste the Mayo.

Tommorow I am going to try to convert this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Scalloped-Potatoes-and-Onions/Detail.aspx

to gluten and dairy free.

The chicken sounds yummy will have to give it a try....let us know about the tater recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Love 2 travel we need some recipes! Your meals always sound like they read right off a menu in a nice restaurant...if you post your recipes and I cook them my husband will probably be eternally grateful...hehe

love2travel Mentor

The chicken sounds yummy will have to give it a try....let us know about the tater recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Love 2 travel we need some recipes! Your meals always sound like they read right off a menu in a nice restaurant...if you post your recipes and I cook them my husband will probably be eternally grateful...hehe

Be glad to. I often make up my own recipes so they are more or less in my head but will try to remember to add them next time. ;) Thanks for the compliment - I really appreciate it!

Teri Lou Apprentice

Trying a new stir fry tonight with rice (of course)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Steak-Stir-Fry/Detail.aspx

love2travel Mentor

Leftover Bangers and Mash with Red Wine Caramelized Onion Sauce from last night but this time accompanied by Spinach Salad with Chevre, Blood Oranges, Peppergrass and a Honey Blood Orange Vinaigrette, with Toasted Pistachios.

And to be completely piggish we are polishing off the rest of the delectable Coconut Cake with Orange Buttercream. :P

We are having a yummy meal planned for tomorrow, that is for sure.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Tonight I made Jessica Seinfeld's recipe for her DH, Jerry's favorite sandwich: Balsamic Chicken Sandwich. I just used Pamela's flour and Against the Grain Baguettes. Was to die for. Found the recipe in March 20, 2011 Parade Magazine in the newspaper. You can search on "Balsamic Chicken Sandwich" and "Seinfeld" to find the recipe.

I did two things different. (ok 3) I pounded the chicken breast thin. I figured a whole piece of chicken would be easier in a sandwich. And I did not use any broth. This made the sauce very syrupy so it did not drip off the chicken. I decreased the cooking time since the chicken was thin and did not have the broth. Will make this again and again.

Tonight we had cajun chicken, risotto and green beans with almonds.

jess-gf Explorer

Last night I roasted a chicken and made some mashed rutabega on the side. Yum!

Bunless turkey burgers with lettuce wedges in place of the buns to hold all the toppings, homemade baked steak fries and fruit salad (cherries, pineapple, pears, mandarin orange and banana slices) for dessert.

I feel like it's summer already! :)

Kelleybean Enthusiast

We made the cream sauce from cashew milk from the Spunky Coconut, added it to some gluten-free pasta and added a can of chickpeas. My picky 3 year old ate it, so we're adding this recipe to our rotation.

love2travel Mentor

OK, I thought we should eat a balanced/healthy meal tonight. Plans changed to Herbed Salad with Frisee, Lardons, Capers, Pears and Blood Red Oranges with Sesame Balsamic Vinaigrette; Devilled Eggs with Oven Roasted Red Peppers.