9633 replies to this topic

#301 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:00 AM

Since it's summer here, I made rice paper "summer" rolls: slaw of cabbage and carrots with commercial feta/garlic dressing; sushi rice, spears of cucumber, avocado, goat feta cheese,
julienne of carrots, green onions, snow pea sprouts for hubs and watercress for me, along with shrimp. Yum. Super healthy! I used the feta dressing for dipping sauce, hubs made a wasabi/tamari???!!! combination :lol:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#302 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:53 AM

Last night I had veggie-beef soup made from that leftover beef roast and juices that I had stuck in the freezer a couple of weeks ago. I actually made the soup the day before and as with many soups, this was even better the second day.

Since I never use a recipe for it, it doesn't turn out the same way twice. I added chopped onion and celery, a can of V-8, a box of Progresso beef broth, a can of petite diced tomatoes, some shredded cabbage and a bag of frozen mixed veggies, basil and parsley (that's the things I remember). Glad I managed to stash some single serving containers in the freezer for future quick meals when I positively don't feel like cooking.

Oh, and I also had a gluten-free Betty Crocker cupcake about 9 p.m....
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#303 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:26 AM

Tonight is an easy gluten-free dinner. Steak and lettuceless salad. No thinking needed. Just eating.

Last night for dinner I made fluffy pancakes. Our local health food store had a Gluten Fest this last weekend. I love to be able to sample gluten-free foods before buying. One company was making pancakes. Those fluffy light ones that I have not been able to find in years. Their mix, Light-As-Air Pancakes is very good. My DH was in heaven to have a great pancake dinner. I believe it was by Fahlstrom Farms.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#304 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

Ya'll are making me jealous! Yumm!

Tonight we had grilled pork steaks that I marinated in orange juice & s&p with brown rice, stamed swiss chard and roasted mushrooms and a little bit of fresh pineapple. And one small piece of dark chocolate for dessert. Not bad. B)
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#305 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:14 PM

Last night we had hub's meat loaf - he makes the BEST durned meatloaf!! Would get his recipe, but then he'd make me make it :rolleyes:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#306 ElseB

ElseB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:15 PM

I just enjoyed a delicious fish pie. Now I'm waiting for a mysterious dessert....I hope its chocolate. The best part is that I didn't have to make any of it. Good thing my boyfriend is a suberb cook. And baker. And its all gluten-free. :D Its our Valentines dinner.

#307 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:28 PM

Taco Rice--I'm a taco lover and this is better than tacos any day. There are lots of recipes on the internet. I just make it the same way I do for tacos. I do add whole beans to the meat.
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
2000-osteopenia
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#308 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

I have some leftover taco meat in the freezer I need to use, how do you make this?
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#309 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:11 PM

Pasta with " burst " grape tomatoes, fresh spinach, roasted garlic, parm & Asiago on top.

That sounds good! Gonna try it....
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#310 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:45 PM

Tonight I made a stir-fry with chicken breast, shrimp, onions, snow peas, mushrooms, yellow squash and probably a couple of other things I've forgotten. And Jasmine rice. Now I'm having a Reese's peanut butter cup. :D
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#311 Judy3

Judy3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:58 PM

Tonight, I had gluten free pasta with frozen vegetable mix of broccoli, green beans, carrots, kidney beans, white beans, black beans, added some garlic and onion and topped with parmesan. mmmmm my go to meal when I don't feel like cooking anything big.

I was in CA last week and for my son's birthday I made him a chocolate cake (regular not gluten free) and I also made a gluten free version of the same old family recipe using Bob's Red Mill all purpose baking flour and a tsp of xanthum gum per cup of flour. They all liked my gluten free version better and some of the guests couldn't tell the difference!! My youngest son that lives with me said that going forward I can make the gluten free one all the time!!! I'm making it for a party I'm going to next Sunday and only the hostess knows it's gluten free (wink). I'm also making a pasta salad that I made in CA as well. Tinkyada spiral noodles, grape tomatoes, mozzarella pearls, chopped onion, chopped garlic, olive oil, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and some chopped fresh parsley and basil. Let this combo sit for a while and the flavor is amazing. (I almost didn't get any at the party last week and I was the only gluten free one there lol)

Another thing I did today - I had purchased some Glutino sesame bagels and wasn't crazy about the taste or texture as a bagel so I cut them up in little chips and drizzled with olive oil, onion powder, garlic powder, and a little salt and baked them until they were dried out and crunchy. OMG they taste like the rye chips in Gardetto's... LOL I have a whole bag of the chips from 3 bagels.

Happy Cooking
*Judy

Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs
Stomach issues since childhood
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) age 6-44
Diabetes age 44 to present now going back to Hypoglycemia since gluten free.
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. Hmmm
Celiac disease- negative test in 2009, positive tests in Nov. 2010
Gluten free started 11/08/2010
Genetic tests positive- DQ2, positive -DQ6 (?) negative- DQ8 11/15/2010

#312 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

Another thing I did today - I had purchased some Glutino sesame bagels and wasn't crazy about the taste or texture as a bagel so I cut them up in little chips and drizzled with olive oil, onion powder, garlic powder, and a little salt and baked them until they were dried out and crunchy. OMG they taste like the rye chips in Gardetto's... LOL I have a whole bag of the chips from 3 bagels.

Now that's what I call resourceful :D
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#313 Judy3

Judy3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:06 PM

Now that's what I call resourceful :D

or cheap you can chose the term LOL :P

You said it's summer where you are... where are you?
*Judy

Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs
Stomach issues since childhood
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) age 6-44
Diabetes age 44 to present now going back to Hypoglycemia since gluten free.
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. Hmmm
Celiac disease- negative test in 2009, positive tests in Nov. 2010
Gluten free started 11/08/2010
Genetic tests positive- DQ2, positive -DQ6 (?) negative- DQ8 11/15/2010

#314 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

or cheap you can chose the term LOL :P

You said it's summer where you are... where are you?

New Zealand, or Aotearoha, land of the long white cloud.
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#315 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:13 PM

I have some leftover taco meat in the freezer I need to use, how do you make this?

Make your items you make for tacos, use no shell or tortillas, put hot cooked rice in a bowl, top with cheese and then layer on taco meat and any topping you desire.
2000-osteopenia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: