9566 replies to this topic

#316 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:05 AM

Toasted cheese sandwiches. Mine had tomato. Ceaser salad kit from Costco. Croutons went in the trash and were replaced with gluten-free ones. Added black olives. Also apple crisp.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#317 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:50 AM

Make your items you make for tacos, use no shell or tortillas, put hot cooked rice in a bowl, top with cheese and then layer on taco meat and any topping you desire.

OMG, that sounds good! Something I definitely want to try!!!
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#318 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:53 AM

Made NY steak, grilled asparagus and twice baked potatoes (TDF!!!!) for Valentine's Day yesterday. Leftovers tonight!!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#319 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

Tonight I'm making meatloaf, field peas (that I put up last summer) and mashed garlic potatoes. Probably cornbread. Yes, I am a deep South country girl!

#320 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:55 PM

I pulled a serving of my veggie-beef soup out of the freezer for dinner. And because it's a pretty light meal, I'm going to indulge in a Udi's Double Chocolate Muffin later this evening (nuked briefly to melt those chocolate chips). They are to die for...albeit a bit on the expensive side but I figure I'm worth it. :D
Sylvia

#321 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:30 PM

I'm intrigued with the fish pie...would love details...

Tonight we had fish filets, marinated in fresh herbs, lemon juice and olive oil and minced green onion/serranno pepper, wrapped in parchment paper and grilled, along with grilled new potatoes and summer squash. I just add chopped onion or chopped green onion to the taters and drizzle olive oil over them, add sea salt and freshly ground pepper, wrap them in foil and dh takes it from there on the grill.

I live with a grill master. If I marinate something or cover it in aluminum foil, he'll grill it, despite the weather. Yay!
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#322 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:07 AM

Tonight we had fish filets, marinated in fresh herbs, lemon juice and olive oil and minced green onion/serranno pepper, wrapped in parchment paper and grilled, along with grilled new potatoes and summer squash. I just add chopped onion or chopped green onion to the taters and drizzle olive oil over them, add sea salt and freshly ground pepper, wrap them in foil and dh takes it from there on the grill.

I live with a grill master. If I marinate something or cover it in aluminum foil, he'll grill it, despite the weather. Yay!

That sounds wonderful! I need a grill master at my house!!!
Sylvia

#323 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:06 PM

Sylvia, thanks for reminding me. Because the grill master isn't gluten-free, sometimes he's a pain, but worth keeping.

I didn't eat much tonight. I accidently had some soy today. That twists me up.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#324 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:48 PM

Make your items you make for tacos, use no shell or tortillas, put hot cooked rice in a bowl, top with cheese and then layer on taco meat and any topping you desire.

I made this tonight and must tell you it is sooooo good!!! It just so happened that I had leftover rice in the fridge so I didn't even have to cook it. I used shredded cheddar cheese and a medium-hot salsa on top. YUMMY! And another emergency meal (plus some to stash in the the freezer)

I also made a simple flourless chocolate cake today with a chocolate ganache glaze. Actually I made it for a get-together with friends tomorrow...but I'm going to sneak a piece tonight. I imagine it will be very rich as an 8" single layer cake makes 12 servings. :P
Sylvia

#325 Emma-Lee

Emma-Lee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:09 PM

Green beans, red potatoes, mushrooms mix stir fried, with tri-tip steak

#326 jess_gf

jess_gf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:51 PM

For lunch today I had two yellow squash sauteed with bacon. That was tasty!

I also cooked a whole chicken for the first time a few days ago using this super easy recipe and it was outstanding: http://www.epicuriou...-Chicken-231348

Last night I made a berry crisp using two bags of frozen mixed berries from trader joe's, tossing them in some gluten-free flour mix, then mixing together 1c of gluten-free flour mix with 1/2c sugar & 1/2c butter, some walnuts & some spices and then using that on top of the berries. Yum.
Gluten Free since 11/2010
Dairy Free since 01/2011

#327 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:02 PM

I made these Chicken Wings (again) tonight. I used ketchup instead of the tomato paste. Gave it more flavor and I always have ketchup but not tomato paste. I boiled the wing tips in water with onion and celery. Froze this for the next time I need chicken broth. For the ginger, I always grate up a piece of ginger when I buy it. Then I freeze the grated ginger in little clumps. Keeps much better then a fresh piece of ginger. The next time I make this I'll double the batch of chicken wings. Then freeze half of them after cooking in the crock-pot.

Slow-Cooker Sticky Wings
Serves 12

In step 3, the oven rack should be 10 to 12 inches from the broiler element. Donít wander off while the wings are in the oven.

1 (3-inch) piece fresh ginger , peeled and chopped
4 garlic cloves , peeled
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 pounds chicken wings , halved at joint and wingtips removed
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup tomato paste

1. MAKE RUB Pulse ginger, garlic, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne in food processor until finely ground. Add mixture to slow cooker insert. Add chicken and toss until combined.

2. COOK AND COOL Cover and cook on low until fat renders and chicken is tender, 3 to 4 hours. Using slotted spoon, remove wings from slow cooker and transfer to clean large bowl (discard liquid in slow cooker). Let wings cool 20 minutes (or cool briefly and refrigerate up to 24 hours).

3. SAUCE AND BROIL Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat broiler. Set wire rack inside rimmed baking sheet and spray rack with baking spray. Whisk water, tomato paste, remaining sugar, remaining soy sauce, and remaining cayenne in bowl. Add half of sauce to bowl with cooled wings and toss gently to coat. Arrange wings, skin side up, on prepared rack. Broil until wings are lightly charred and crisp around edges, 10 to 15 minutes. Flip wings, brush with remaining sauce, and continue to broil until well caramelized, about 3 minutes. Serve.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#328 gramma elaine

gramma elaine

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:44 AM

I bought a George forman grill, its dedicated to gluten free. So I'm grilling individual servings of salmon. Then grilling vegetables in oil,(onions colored peppers and asparagus) cooking up red rice and celery with cheese whiz (my grandaughter is 8 so must think like a kid lol) dessert will be gluten free vanilla ice-cream drizzled with homemade raspberry syurp. I'm also making croissants for the first time, so will serve them as well if they turn out. I'm retired now so have lots of time to prepare meals.I think though for people who are short of time, taking one evening or afternoon when not working to prepare meals and then freeze individual servings is a good idea. I do this all the time. Put the soups I make, or mac and cheese, or tuna casserole etc into small plastic or tinfoil containers freeze them and give them to my daughter so she has something quick for her girls when there in a hurry. It seems to be working well.

#329 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:28 AM

Yesterday I made ground nut stew over rice. Tonight I'm going to make some chicken fried rice with the leftover rice. Also thinkign about making some cabbage spring rolls with rice paper wrappers. Will depend on how ambitious I get. Chicken fried rice with lots of veggies is a meal in itself but I'm really craving spring rolls too. :)
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#330 aeraen

aeraen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:40 AM

It WAS going to be a simple soup and salad night for my family, but then I found that recipe for Brazillian cheese bread in another thread here, and I have to add it to our menu. They look soooo delicious, and I have everything we need right in our house.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: