Celiac.com Sponsor:

#332 healinginprogress

healinginprogress

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:12 PM

I made a really great sirloin with tomato-balsamic reduction, roasted yam fries w/creamy garlic mustard dip, and roasted fennel with parmesan...so fantastic! (have recipes if interested)

#333 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:20 AM

I made a really great sirloin with tomato-balsamic reduction, roasted yam fries w/creamy garlic mustard dip, and roasted fennel with parmesan...so fantastic! (have recipes if interested)

LOVE your handle! Yes, I would love to try your recipes. Please post!
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#334 healinginprogress

healinginprogress

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:54 AM

LOVE your handle! Yes, I would love to try your recipes. Please post!

we're allowed to post recipes that we get from magazines or cookbooks, right? Well, the yam fries were my own simple recipe: just cut up the yams, tossed with a bit of olive oil, chile/chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cinnamon, and a touch of raw sugar (would have used brown sugar, but mine is contaminated because I put a piece of bread in it to keep it soft :P), salt and pepper to taste. The dip is not dairy free, but was equal parts sour cream and balkan style or greek yogurt, mixed with grainy mustard, some chopped parsley, a bit of lemon juice, and two cloves of garlic that I put through the garlic press. Mix it all up and let it chill before serving, it picks up the flavors better.

Here are the other two recipes, from Clean Eating mag:

Sirloin & Peppery Tomato Reduction
with squash-onion stir-fry (I didn't do the squash-onion stir-fry this time)

Ingredients:

1 tsp chile powder
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp sea salt, divided
1lb boneless sirloin steak, about Ύ-inch thick, trimmed of visible fat(2 8oz works well)
2tsp EVOO, divided
1 medium zucchini, cut into eighths length-wise, then cut into 2-inch pieces
1 medium yellow squash, cut into eighths length-wise, then cut into 2-inch pieces
½ medium yellow onion, quartered and layers separated

SAUCE:
½ cup diced tomato (I used a whole tomato)
½ cup water
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1tsp balsamic vinegar
⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil

Instructions:
• In a small bowl, combine chile powder, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and Ό tsp sea salt. Sprinkle evenly over both sides of steak and press lightly to adhere (I placed spice in bottom of dish and pressed steak into it). Let stand for 10min.
• Heat 1 tsp oil in a large skillet on medium-high, tilting skillet to coat bottom lightly. Add zucchini, squash, and onion and cook for 3 to 4min or until just tender-crisp, stirring frequently. Sprinkle mixture with remaining Ό tsp salt and place in a medium bowl; cover to keep warm.
• Heat 1 tsp oil in same skillet on medium-high. Cook steak for 4min per side or to desired doneness (will try less than 4min next time, but this leaves a bit of pink inside).
• Meanwhile, prepare sauce: In small bowl, combine all sauce ingredients, except 2tsp oil.
• Remove steaks from skillet when ready. Add sauce mixture to pan residue. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 to 4min or until reduced to Ό cup liquid, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, stir in 2tsp olive oil and serve over steak, with squash-onion stir-fry alongside.
Nutrients per serving (3oz steak, 1tbsp sauce, ½ cup squash-onion stir-fry)- Calories: 235, Total Fat: 11g, Sat Fat: 2g, MUFA: 6g, PUFA: 1g, Carbs: 7g, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 4g, Protein: 22g, Sodium: 346mg, Cholesterol: 55mg

Roasted Fennel with Parmesan

Ingredients:
2 large fennel bulbs, sliced into 4 to 8 wedges
sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions:
• Preheat oven to 400F
• Fill a large pot with water and bring to boil. Add fennel wedges and cook for 5 minutes. Drain well and let cool slightly. Place in square pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then toss with oil.
• Cook in oven for 30min or until fennel pierces easily with a fork. Sprinkle with Parmesan and roast for another 5min. Serve immediately.
Nutrients per 2/3cup serving- Calories: 108, Total Fat: 6g, Sat Fat: 2g, MUFA: 3g, PUFA: 1g, Carbs: 8g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 0.5g, Protein: 5g, Sodium: 258mg, Cholesterol: 7mg

The fennel is seriously amazing!!!

#335 Nor_TX

Nor_TX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:07 AM

Sprouts has a sale on flash frozen haddock fillets - Regular 9.00 per pound - on sale for 3.97 so I bought a couple of pounds. I defrosted 1 lb and cut into serving size pieces. In a pryrex dish I melted some dairy free Smart Balance parve margarine in the microwave and then salted and peppered it. I took the pices of fish and coated them with the seasoned melted margarine and covered the dish with foil and cooked at 350 for 40 minutes. I also picked up some delicious asparagus and steamed that and cooked some white rice. It was very easy on the tummy, very sweet and mild and I have enough leftovers for lunch today at work.
Gluten Intolerance, Colitis, IBS, Lactose and Casein Intolerance, Gastro-Paresis, GERD, Arthritis. Taking Remicade and Asacol, 2 Prilosec/day among other meds. Officially a senior citizen! New knee is doing well.. now about that other knee...

Food is in my dreams and in my nightmares!

#336 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:15 AM

Tonight we're having rotiserie chicken, baked sweet potatoes (made in the slow cooker) and steamed green beans.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#337 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:59 AM

we're allowed to post recipes that we get from magazines or cookbooks, right? Well, the yam fries were my own simple recipe: just cut up the yams, tossed with a bit of olive oil, chile/chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cinnamon, and a touch of raw sugar (would have used brown sugar, but mine is contaminated because I put a piece of bread in it to keep it soft :P), salt and pepper to taste. The dip is not dairy free, but was equal parts sour cream and balkan style or greek yogurt, mixed with grainy mustard, some chopped parsley, a bit of lemon juice, and two cloves of garlic that I put through the garlic press. Mix it all up and let it chill before serving, it picks up the flavors better.

Here are the other two recipes, from Clean Eating mag:

Sirloin & Peppery Tomato Reduction
with squash-onion stir-fry (I didn't do the squash-onion stir-fry this time)

Ingredients:

1 tsp chile powder
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp sea salt, divided
1lb boneless sirloin steak, about Ύ-inch thick, trimmed of visible fat(2 8oz works well)
2tsp EVOO, divided
1 medium zucchini, cut into eighths length-wise, then cut into 2-inch pieces
1 medium yellow squash, cut into eighths length-wise, then cut into 2-inch pieces
½ medium yellow onion, quartered and layers separated

SAUCE:
½ cup diced tomato (I used a whole tomato)
½ cup water
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1tsp balsamic vinegar
⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil

Instructions:
• In a small bowl, combine chile powder, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and Ό tsp sea salt. Sprinkle evenly over both sides of steak and press lightly to adhere (I placed spice in bottom of dish and pressed steak into it). Let stand for 10min.
• Heat 1 tsp oil in a large skillet on medium-high, tilting skillet to coat bottom lightly. Add zucchini, squash, and onion and cook for 3 to 4min or until just tender-crisp, stirring frequently. Sprinkle mixture with remaining Ό tsp salt and place in a medium bowl; cover to keep warm.
• Heat 1 tsp oil in same skillet on medium-high. Cook steak for 4min per side or to desired doneness (will try less than 4min next time, but this leaves a bit of pink inside).
• Meanwhile, prepare sauce: In small bowl, combine all sauce ingredients, except 2tsp oil.
• Remove steaks from skillet when ready. Add sauce mixture to pan residue. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 to 4min or until reduced to Ό cup liquid, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, stir in 2tsp olive oil and serve over steak, with squash-onion stir-fry alongside.
Nutrients per serving (3oz steak, 1tbsp sauce, ½ cup squash-onion stir-fry)- Calories: 235, Total Fat: 11g, Sat Fat: 2g, MUFA: 6g, PUFA: 1g, Carbs: 7g, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 4g, Protein: 22g, Sodium: 346mg, Cholesterol: 55mg

Roasted Fennel with Parmesan

Ingredients:
2 large fennel bulbs, sliced into 4 to 8 wedges
sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions:
• Preheat oven to 400F
• Fill a large pot with water and bring to boil. Add fennel wedges and cook for 5 minutes. Drain well and let cool slightly. Place in square pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then toss with oil.
• Cook in oven for 30min or until fennel pierces easily with a fork. Sprinkle with Parmesan and roast for another 5min. Serve immediately.
Nutrients per 2/3cup serving- Calories: 108, Total Fat: 6g, Sat Fat: 2g, MUFA: 3g, PUFA: 1g, Carbs: 8g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 0.5g, Protein: 5g, Sodium: 258mg, Cholesterol: 7mg

The fennel is seriously amazing!!!

Thank you so much. I will be trying it on a special occasion soon :)
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#338 Melstar23

Melstar23

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:50 PM

Tonight I'm cooking zucchini pancakes with balsamic mushrooms and leek and roasted tomato. And some home made gluten free sour dough bread. Dessert will be blackberry friands. I'm excited... I better get cooking :)

#339 Emilushka

Emilushka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:15 AM

Last night was steamed beef with broccoli over rice.

#340 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

Tonight I was in the mood for fish 'n chips. :) We had baked Flounder filets with olive oil, lime, sea salt and pepper. And Alexia waffle fries.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#341 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:25 PM

All from scratch: Roasted potato, leek and pancetta soup; fresh pasta a la limone; homemade focaccia; fudge brownies for dessert (if we have room in our tummies!).
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#342 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

Tonight I'm cooking zucchini pancakes with balsamic mushrooms and leek and roasted tomato. And some home made gluten free sour dough bread. Dessert will be blackberry friands. I'm excited... I better get cooking :)

zucchini pancakes?????

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#343 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

completely unreproducible chocolate orange pecan cake.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#344 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:53 PM

Last night I fixed orange-glazed pork chops, rice and fresh asparagus.

Tonight I finally dragged the bag of BRM pizza crust out of the pantry and made it. Well, what can I say...the toppings were good! :lol: I can do better but at least I got rid of it as I bought it quite awhile ago...from now on it's on to making my own from scratch.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#345 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:11 PM

Tonight I had (again, another batch made for the freezer) Sticky Wings (recipe above) for me. I cooked four large pork chops (3 into the freezer for quick meals) with mashed potatoes and Brussels sprouts for DH. This coming week it's Fish Sandwich (will use Against the Grain Baguettes) with Wasabi Coleslaw (recipe off the Internet), Lisa's Stuffed Green Pepper Casserole ( http://catholicmomof...-casserole.html ) and Cowboy Pizza (Against the Grain pizza crust and Pappa Murphy's idea. Not missing much from being gluten free at my house.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: