This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

GottaSki Mentor

lol...mean moms ROCK.

so I would not allow video games...my boys had travel nitendos, gameboys, etc...for use on the ROAD.  For years they cajoled, bribed, asked aunts and uncles..my sis even caved...I sent the game system home with her...they could play these things at their friends or family homes...but not ours....fast forward...I have a budding novelist and a musician that knows how to manage bands -- people are contacting him to promote....and GUESS WHAT???  they now admit I was right!  

I LOVE technology...just not brain dead kids with nimble thumbs ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

Adalaide Mentor

My girls were both playing video games by the time they were 12 or 18 months old. Age appropriate ones that taught them computer skills of how to use a mouse and keyboard that were some Sesame Street game or other at the time. When my youngest was about 2 1/2 I told her no more games for the day and went to make dinner. She was too quiet, I came back and the little snot had gotten out the celiac disease, put it in the computer and started her game up. Now that is a smart cookie!

Until I left I never restricted access to video games, although I did make sure they also got time outdoors and doing other things. Their father never restricted access either. They game together as a family now. There are actually some skills to be learned from video games, just not the same ones you learn other places. Both my girls are headed to college, are avid readers, have social lives, and are just as likely to break out a board game as a video game a lot of days. The oldest was even in a buttload of activities in high school to give her a boost on her college apps. I think that video games are unfairly demonized by parents who failed to keep them in perspective for their kids and let the kids just veg out all day every day instead of parenting. Video games are the new tv, just something to blame for being a bad parent when its your own fault for using it as a babysitter.

Every family is different and has to find what works for them. Obviously not having them worked for you, your kids are doing awesome things! Having them as a fairly significant part of our lives worked for us. One is headed off this fall to be a mechanical engineer (she decided chemical engineering wasn't for her) and my baby wants to be a teacher.

GottaSki Mentor

oh wait...mine were on computers from 18 months...just no video game consoles .... my oldest is like me so i had him tearing apart mother boards at 8 years....techies we are....just no game consoles...oh...there goes the fireworks :)

and my rules did stem from the my friends that were using technology as babysitting devices ;)

my poor kids were never restricted from video games at friends and family's home...now i think i do sound like the meanest mom award winner!!!

Adalaide Mentor

My kids only started on computer games. They have a Wii in their bedroom and were avid console gamers from the day they were old enough to use a controller. We had 3 or 4 consoles when they were 5 and 6.

Tech as a babysitter drives me up a wall. The only time I ever did that was when I put my kids in front of the TV so I could get a peaceful shower knowing they wouldn't kill each other, or if I was sick we'd stay in bed together all day and watch movies and read books. (But that was together.)

Tonight I'm making a pork roast with some sort of veggie something for dinner. I think it is way too early to decide. I'm only up at this unholy hour so I can get myself shipped off to the doctor. Not my favorite pastime.

GottaSki Mentor

Good Luck at the Docs :)

Cleaning the house for the grad party today and to make it a bit more short people friendly...nothing breakable per se -- just the short ones find all sorts of things I try to stash away -- should put it away properly anyhow and now I have the energy to do so...so I shall.

Dinner tonight is BBQ Chicken with three colors of sweet potato and hubs yummy carrots -- finally found purple sweets here not just purple reg spuds.  Saved a bit of the sis's strawberry bday cake for the grand peeps -- but thinking I may give it to them for afternoon snack so they can burn it off before bedtime :)

love2travel Mentor

Another avid bookaholic!  I cannot be without books surrounding me.  My eReader is awesome, too, but I still prefer the feel and smell of paper books.  Anyway, each year I probably read about 300 books.  Panic hits if there is not a book in the vehicle or my purse.  I too love classics such as Crime and Punishment.  My favourite authors are Daphne Du Maurier, Charles Dickens and Wilkie Collins.  Absolutely brilliant.  And all British.  I adore the descriptions of the lovely English countryside, castles, period clothing, food...

Speaking of food...as it is chilly today (I LOVE it!) tonight we are having:

Chicken and Dumplings

Roasted Mushrooms with Sherry and Thyme

Peaches and Cream Layer Cake with Pastry Cream Filling and Buttercream

Adalaide Mentor

My favorite author by far is Mercedes Lackey, not classics, but certainly worn books in my house! There is nothing like tales of magic and adventure to get me so wrapped up I forget the world around me.

I was just thinking about mushrooms last night. I think they are one of the next things on my list to test out and see how I do with them. Life just isn't right without them.

Oh, and by the way... for all I am obsessed with baking, and eating everything I bake, I'm another 8 pounds lighter than I was last time I saw the doctor. Guess those cupcakes, cookies, cakes, muffins and cobblers aren't hurting me one bit. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Another avid bookaholic!  I cannot be without books surrounding me.  My eReader is awesome, too, but I still prefer the feel and smell of paper books.  Anyway, each year I probably read about 300 books.  Panic hits if there is not a book in the vehicle or my purse.  I too love classics such as Crime and Punishment.  My favourite authors are Daphne Du Maurier, Charles Dickens and Wilkie Collins.  Absolutely brilliant.  And all British.  I adore the descriptions of the lovely English countryside, castles, period clothing, food...

Speaking of food...as it is chilly today (I LOVE it!) tonight we are having:

Chicken and Dumplings

Roasted Mushrooms with Sherry and Thyme

Peaches and Cream Layer Cake with Pastry Cream Filling and Buttercream

"A room without books is like a body without a soul. "

I refuse to give up my book for a Nook. I am a dinosaur. I like holding it, smelling it and turning the pages. :)

I have so many books, I have started donating them and giving them away (gasp!) because they will cost me a fortune to ship to Florida. I can't believe I am letting some of them go..... ah well, they are going to "good homes". LOL Next, we are going through the 1000+ CDs..those are going to a rehab hospital where they need music for recovering patients. 

I see you are making the Bronski's peaches and cream cake...please let me know how it tastes. I love their recipes.

Their pie crust saved Thanksgiving for me. Tastes like my Gramma's.

Friday dinner:  4 cheese pizza. and antipasta

Saturday dinner--having friends over:

Shrimp cocktail

Garlic crostitinii 3 ways: herbed hummus, tapenade and roasted red peppers in balsamic and goat cheese

Pork tenderloin and some savory sauce of some nature. (I'll think about it when I take my walk in a minute)

Potatoes gratin with rosemary

Ratatouille 

Carrot cake with coconut and pineapple and cream cheese buttercream frosting (my teeth hurt just thinking about it)

Sunday dinner--having Aunt Ann over (the one who loves manhattans and will eat anything I put in front of her--LOVE this woman!)

She has requested  our 

Burgers on the grille  with bacon and blue cheese

Baked beans

Cole slaw

and she will enjoy some of that carrot cake, too.

Was going to make SKI's lemonies, but I have decided to save those for next time. 

w8in4dave Community Regular

Tonight we had steaks and potatoes, I threw some Mushrooms and onions on the potatoes! Is that veggie enuf? Lol I know I should of opened a can or gotten some out of the freezer!! What was I thinking?

GottaSki Mentor

Books - need.

Addie's lighter scale read - yay.

Mushrooms are poking up everywhere - wonder why.

Vegies are not necessary every meal - fresh is always better.

Grumpy, but house much cleaner than when the day began - tired - thankful.

My baby graduates tomorrow - celebrate.

:)

GottaSki Mentor

oh...must try that peach dealio....hmmm...someone remind me please!

Congrats on that baby graduating GottaSki, Reason for no veggies is because I was cleaning the house also!! My daughter is coming to town with my grandson who is 3 months old. I have only seen him 3 times!! I am so excited!!! They are vegetarian, they feed them selves!! Gotta love the ones who bring their own food and cook their own meals!! I'll do the dishes for that!! :) 

Ohhh Ohhh have to let everyone know!! My friend and I went to the Whole Food store (what ever it's called) (brain fog ) anyhoo we bought sparkling juice and a bottle of wine .... She is a wine connoisseur , anyway we had some and the wine was kinda gross, but mixed it with the sparkling stuff!! Yummy!! ummmm we drank the whole bottle lol ... reason for brain fog lol 

Adalaide Mentor

Ohhh Ohhh have to let everyone know!! My friend and I went to the Whole Food store (what ever it's called) (brain fog ) anyhoo we bought sparkling juice and a bottle of wine .... She is a wine connoisseur , anyway we had some and the wine was kinda gross, but mixed it with the sparkling stuff!! Yummy!! ummmm we drank the whole bottle lol ... reason for brain fog lol 

I think that's called something different than brain fog! :lol: Sounds like a delightful evening.

That peach cake does look positively amazing... but my husband doesn't like peaches so I'd have to eat the whole thing myself. I think I'll stick to peach cupcakes or muffins which I can freeze. Now the churros on the website, my husband would totally help eat those. (As if I need one more thing to deep fry!)

IrishHeart Veteran

oh...must try that peach dealio....hmmm...someone remind me please!

I have put it on your reminder calendar, Ms. Ski.

Have a wonderful day today and tell J big congrats from me!! :wub: such a great kid! You "did good" Mom and Dad.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Roast chicken etc, followed by girls night out. New girly dress, pink nails, lots of eyeliner. 42lbs gone. So far. Over half way.

Adalaide Mentor

Roast chicken etc, followed by girls night out. New girly dress, pink nails, lots of eyeliner. 42lbs gone. So far. Over half way.

WOOOO!!!! For sure a reason to celebrate!

I just threw a tri-tip in the oven tonight and some baked taters. I'd love to be able to do more than the lightest of housework 5 minutes at a time and hobble around the kitchen. Whatever is up I don't imagine can keep up much longer though. I'm at least getting out at twilight every night to the garden to water and enjoy some fresh air and the last bit of daylight. It is my favorite time of day. ^_^

IrishHeart Veteran

whoohoo girl! :) :) 

Myself Newbie

I'm having gluten-free beer tonight.  Liquid dinner.  I bought two different kinds.  Redbridge & New Planet Raspberry Ale.  This is my first time ever trying or even hearing of the NP Ale.  From what I just read online it's not bad however it apparently doesn't taste much like beer.  I guess it has more of a fruity flavor. 

GottaSki Mentor

Dinner tonight was creamy garlic cilantro enchiladas, guacamole and salad followed by very vanilla cake,,,,

So proud of our latest high school grad!!!!

t-i-r-e-d -- but in a very good...had a very full day kinda tired :)

GottaSki Mentor

I'm having gluten-free beer tonight.  Liquid dinner.  I bought two different kinds.  Redbridge & New Planet Raspberry Ale.  This is my first time ever trying or even hearing of the NP Ale.  From what I just read online it's not bad however it apparently doesn't taste much like beer.  I guess it has more of a fruity flavor. 

Welcome Myself!!!

I've never had the NP Raspberry -- I don't like my beer fruity -- except for an occasional lime in a Pacifico pre-celiac dx.  Oh my...someone needs to produce a gluten-free Mexican Beer!!!

notme Experienced

My baby graduates tomorrow - celebrate.

:)

too awesome, ski, it's a great feeling!  but i had the hardest time boo-hooing over MY BABY lolz worse than the other 3 - you would think i'd have been used to it by then lolz

ummmm we drank the whole bottle lol ... reason for brain fog lol 

LOLz brain fog, indeed - you are hilarious, w8n4!

WOOOO!!!! For sure a reason to celebrate!

I just threw a tri-tip in the oven tonight and some baked taters. I'd love to be able to do more than the lightest of housework 5 minutes at a time and hobble around the kitchen. Whatever is up I don't imagine can keep up much longer though. I'm at least getting out at twilight every night to the garden to water and enjoy some fresh air and the last bit of daylight. It is my favorite time of day. ^_^

we watched the Giant Moon rise over the mountain on the river last night - so bright on the water it was like perpetual fireworks  :)  

welcome, myself, from notme! < haha irish, beat you to it LOLZ - i am going on a beer quest myself.  my beer supplier guy wants to know what to order (a case) but i have to be able to taste ONE first before i have failure in volume ;)

love2travel Mentor

Blech. Never been a beer fan but used to make a mean beef Wellington with Guiness.

Anyhow, tonight is:

Grilled porterhouse steak, 2" thick

Herbed garlic roast potatoes

Turkish grated carrot salad

Grilled nectarines with Greek yogurt, toasted pine nuts and drizzled with wild acacia honey

Tomorrow? Lamb.

GottaSki Mentor

We got gypped outta the Super Moon -- we have a thick marine layer at night that clears about 10am each morning -- commonly referred to as "June Gloom" -- so I set my alarm for 430am hoping the view would improve whilst I slept -- no luck...just one bright marine layer :(

Not sure what is for dinner....something easy -- maybe spaghetti and meatballs.  Oh and vanilla cake (made spares yesterday) with strawberry frosting (left over from sis's bday)  -- so I guess that makes it Encore Cake ;)

notme Experienced

Grilled nectarines with Greek yogurt, toasted pine nuts and drizzled with wild acacia honey

oh, DROOOOOOOLLLLL  drool drool (DO I HAVE PINE NUTS?  i don't think so....   :(  boo... ) 

tonight is pork roast however he is cooking it - i wanted to do it in the crock pot but nooooooo so he is on his own.  mashed taters and massive yellow squash ribbons from the massive yellow squash ;)  

halfway listening to the race (hate road courses with all their right turns and whatnot)  might indulge myself in a nap......zzzzzzzzzzzz.......   -_-