9533 replies to this topic

#3796 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

I'm ok. This morning I awoke to intense pressure on my chest radiating into my shoulder blades. It felt as though someone were sitting on my chest, making it tricky to breathe well. So, this morning I was poked and prodded. Thankfully the ER doc I saw was thorough. He said it was not a heart attack but muscle tightness - could be my costochondritis acting up.

Great to hear...I had a similar rush to ER just after the New Year flip...only idea after a day of a very new scary pain was connective tissue in the chest -- great. At least it was a false alarm....yet another mystery :wacko:

No mystery to me, girls. I get it. Those ER trips pre-DX,,,, only to have a normal EKG? Found it is chostochondiritis. And intense connective tissue pain, muscles like wood ...these are my life. And YES, definitely celiac related. The good thing is, it gets less intense with time, massages, PT, stretching, etc,
Glad you are all right, Lovey! I suggest warm compresses, massages and relaxation. Physical therapy, cupping-- anything to relax those muscles. Hugs to you both, as I literally "feel " your pain.
Mammograms should not hurt, but if you have trigger points (those hyper-irritable knots you can feel as your run your fingers over your muscles?) will make them feel like torture. Massage the areas as often as you can to break them up.They will release. Tell your hubbies you need frequent chest massages and see how fast they come running......Just a thought, sent with :wub:

I ended up having Spam and toast and eggs. I still haven't decided if I'm okay with the texture of that fake egg junk. They work great for baking but they're a little off for eating. Oh well, it was food. I have a whole tub of mango sorbet in the freezer to go get into which I just may be doing here shortly.

spam and fake eggs...no thank you, but may I have some mango sorbet please ? :)

Dinner tonight:

Bison stuffed peppers. Never thought I'd enjoy bison,, but I admit it....it's good.

My experiment off grains spoke volumes. I was grain free for 3.5 weeks, then had some over Thanksgiving (in stuffing, a piece of pie, corn starch in the gravy), and the pain in my joints, bones and muscles ramped up so dramatically, and I bloated up about 5 lbs. ----that the connection couldn't be any more clear.
Dammit dammit dammit....I love rice and corn. waaaa!
:(.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#3797 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

Dammit dammit dammit....I love rice and corn. waaaa!
:(.

Sucks eh -- actually it does get better if it leads to healing -- I'm starting my six month clock again effective Thanksgiving -- all goes well I'll be trialing bacon, eggs, guacamole and rice just in time for me birthday - the real one, not the silly one - hmmmm maybe bacon on my silly bday.

Here's hoping you are feeling so good soon that you don't care about the loss of grains for awhile - I'm hoping it for you until you are feeling stronger.

And never forget it takes more muscles to :( than to :) - too early for a good joke -- in college app hell here -- last minute change in which State Uni's DS is applying to -- funny how different kids are -- older "engineer" brother had his in as soon as colleges accepted -- younger "gifted writer and artist"....well here we were starting at 5 am this morning - nuf said. Someone's back from gobbling his breakfast.

Someone else pull out some giggles -- ERs and no grains need some laughs

OH and mammograms have never hurt me -- it may be barbaric, but VERY important - get in there and get the ladies squished ladies - well not you Shadow -- but you should be checking in the Shower --- never too early to get in the habit -- public service announcement done. Back after we push SEND :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3798 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

I don't mind the "no grains" thing that much. Primal eating is very good.

It's the inconvenience . Many of my best recipes include those grains: risottos, mexican, asian, rice pilafs, etc.

It's just the idea of one more thing to have to "give up" :angry:

I mean, why couldn't I have issues with eel, sweetbreads, brains,even snotty marshmallow fluff ...?

Those--I am happy to avoid. :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#3799 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:33 AM

actually it does get better if it leads to healing

So true. It is very frustrating at first, and the longer you have been ill before diagnosis, the longer it can take. I did the whole allergist testing/elimination diet stuff and stayed gluten, dairy, soy, legume, tapioca, coconut, grain lite, and corn free for 5 years. Not fun, but walking that thin line allowed me to feel almost well more days than not.

As I slowly (the operative word here) had more good days than bad, I tried adding dairy, which to my amazement went well. Then corn several months later. I figured at that point I had more variety and was satisfied. Earlier this year, I tried the dreaded (for me) legumes and I find if I limit to a couple times a week, I'm good. The biggest surprise though was tapioca--which had previously caused me such pain that I avoided it like gluten. After gingerly trying some in a cookie, I was floored to discover I was now ok with it.

Soy (which I would avoid anyway) and coconut are still no go's, but who cares! My point is, healing is taking place--even if it doesn't seem like it. It just takes (a lot <_< ) longer for some of us. Threads like this just go to show how resilient, creative, and tough you all are--eating so well on what is available to you. I love it!! :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3800 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

That's scary! I'm glad you're okay though and hope that you're back to feeling yourself soon. I'm not terribly far from that first mammogram and frankly not particularly excited. I have nothing but sympathy for that whole thing too as I've heard it can (as it was for you) sometimes be dreadfully awful.

I ended up having Spam and toast and eggs. I still haven't decided if I'm okay with the texture of that fake egg junk. They work great for baking but they're a little off for eating. Oh well, it was food. I have a whole tub of mango sorbet in the freezer to go get into which I just may be doing here shortly.

It WAS scary. On the way to the hospital my husband and I were trying to talk about "normal" things to be calm. It really helped. Thankfully my BP was perfect.

My first mammogram 1.5 years ago was not painful whatsoever. This one was very painful as it was not a scanning mammogram but a diagnostic one which requires even more squishing! I also had an U/S after as there is something suspicious. I get my results back in a week and have told myself NOT to worry until I know anything definitive. As I have costochondritis even having a shower or putting on clothes even hurts. :( Oh, yes. There are also icky cysts in there. So it is no wonder it was so painful. Normally they are not that bad. Honest. The technician thanked me for being so "kind" (I did not complain) and told me I have an unusually high pain threshhold. Here in Canada these tests are all covered by healthcare so we are blessed. Not sure how much mammograms are in the U.S.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3801 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

It made me smile widely this morning to see so many well wishes and concern about my unfortunate day yesterday! Wow. It is awesome that we have each others' backs! Thank you. :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3802 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:00 AM

No mystery to me, girls. I get it. Those ER trips pre-DX,,,, only to have a normal EKG? Found it is chostochondiritis. And intense connective tissue pain, muscles like wood ...these are my life. And YES, definitely celiac related. The good thing is, it gets less intense with time, massages, PT, stretching, etc,
Glad you are all right, Lovey! I suggest warm compresses, massages and relaxation. Physical therapy, cupping-- anything to relax those muscles. Hugs to you both, as I literally "feel " your pain.
Mammograms should not hurt, but if you have trigger points (those hyper-irritable knots you can feel as your run your fingers over your muscles?) will make them feel like torture. Massage the areas as often as you can to break them up.They will release. Tell your hubbies you need frequent chest massages and see how fast they come running......Just a thought, sent with :wub:

We go through some crazy stuff, don't we? Yes, I do have trigger points there which are hyper sensitive. My massage therapist massages my pecs each week which feels so good and loosens things up, at least for the week.

I sort of mentioned frequent massages to my husband and he didn't exactly shudder at the thought, nor did he flee... ;)

#3803 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

My point is, healing is taking place--even if it doesn't seem like it. It just takes (a lot <_< ) longer for some of us. Threads like this just go to show how resilient, creative, and tough you all are--eating so well on what is available to you. I love it!! :D

Thank you for reinforcing this to all of us, Patti.
When I first came on c.com, it was stories like yours and Shroom's and so many others who had to persevere to find a safe repertoire of foods to heal and get well.
I say it so often to others, but really need to hear it myself sometimes. Time means healing.
I have revamped my diet so many times, it makes my head spin.
The past few days have been really painful reminders that sometimes, just going gluten-free (and soy, legume and dairy free too ) is not enough.
For right now.
Thanks for the pep talk. I truly appreciate it.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#3804 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

Thank you for reinforcing this to all of us, Patti.
When I first came on c.com, it was stories like yours and Shroom's and so many others who had to persevere to find a safe repertoire of foods to heal and get well.
I say it so often to others, but really need to hear it myself sometimes. Time means healing.
I have revamped my diet so many times, it makes my head spin.
The past few days have been really painful reminders that sometimes, just going gluten-free (and soy, legume and dairy free too ) is not enough.
For right now.
Thanks for the pep talk. I truly appreciate it.

I remember what it was like to be in that muddle of trying to figure out what was causing problems for me. It could be overwhelming at times, when I seemingly reacted for no apparent reason while being so strict. I truly thought back then that after 20+ years of sickness, I would go gluten free and feel "normal". (rude awakening....but it's a process) Looking back from this vantage point, I have to credit time as being equally as important as what I ate for my eventual healing and ability to incorporate more foods.

You are doing all you can do right now ;)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3805 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

YAY...CSU apps in -- glad the server didn't crash -- son took it all in stride - wish I had his calm many days.

Patti - THANK YOU always great to be reminded of the light at the end of the tunnel -- I've seen it, but didn't know there were going to be multiple tunnels :P live and learn.

All the massage talk cracks me up -- I knew how much my hubby wanted me to get better when he helped find the NP that does mine -- one of his friend's warned him that there was boob touching involved and my husband didn't bat an eyelash during the first appt -- he went along to take notes as I was a complete frog back then -- at least that is his story and he is sticking to it.

Crockpot Pork Roast for dinner -- off to make first round of jerky -- I'm in need a few more portable snacks now that I am vertical once again :D

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#3806 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

YAY...CSU apps in -- glad the server didn't crash -- son took it all in stride - wish I had his calm many days.

Patti - THANK YOU always great to be reminded of the light at the end of the tunnel -- I've seen it, but didn't know there were going to be multiple tunnels :P live and learn.

All the massage talk cracks me up -- I knew how much my hubby wanted me to get better when he helped find the NP that does mine -- one of his friend's warned him that there was boob touching involved and my husband didn't bat an eyelash during the first appt -- he went along to take notes as I was a complete frog back then -- at least that is his story and he is sticking to it.

Crockpot Pork Roast for dinner -- off to make first round of jerky -- I'm in need a few more portable snacks now that I am vertical once again :D

Is that C for California orColorado State?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3807 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

California - older son considered Colorado.

This one will likely do the cc tranfer deal so he can obtain his degree from one of the best English depts - grades have never been a driving force for this creative son.

Cracked me up this morning when I realized he had great grades during my healthful times and crappy ones during my froggy/horizontal times - chaulk up another ding to my celiac stolen moments score - looking forward to adding many more great moments to the scoreboard.

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#3808 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

well, thats good. College apps are :blink:

#3809 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

Oh L2T-

Obama care made preventative covered - if you are insured - didn't really solve the cost of insurance escalations problems though.

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#3810 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

always great to be reminded of the light at the end of the tunnel

....... and it isn't necessarily an oncoming train... :lol: Like you, I remain steadfast in my resolve to obtain full recovery.

& cheers to being "vertical" babes!! go get 'em champ!

What does your jerky taste like?

I have never made it in my life. Willing to try anything, am I!

Edited by IrishHeart, 30 November 2012 - 11:27 AM.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: