#3811 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

What does your jerky tastes like?

I have never made it in my life. Willing to try anything, am I!

Your post brings back preparations for a backpacking trip when we were staying at my parents' house. I made beef jerky and granola and (I think) gained new respect from my mom :lol: She tasted the granola and with an astonished expression said "This tastes good" and made it for herself ever after. Recipes are long since gone, but I should still be making my own granola except I can't have most of the ingredients any more.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#3812 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

I made beef jerky and granola and (I think) gained new respect from my mom :lol: She tasted the granola and with an astonished expression said "This tastes good" and made it for herself ever after.

I can relate to being thrilled by a mom's kudos on our cooking. :D
Mine was here for Thanksgiving.
Her amazing apple pie was legendary and always my Birthday cake ---and I actually cried at the prospect of never having that flaky deliciousness ever again when I was Dxed. She went gluten-free after my diagnosis, so no more pie was made.
Fast forward to last week...
I finally perfected the pie crust (thank you ,fattening Lard !! and The Bronskis' recipe)

and when she said "OmyGahd, this is better than mine..."

I almost fainted. I said "I'm sorry, what did you say, Ma?"....just to hear it again....and

I thought, well, I could die right now knowing my Mom had given me the ultimate compliment.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3813 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

I can relate to being thrilled by a mom's kudos on our cooking. :D
Mine was here for Thanksgiving.
Her amazing apple pie was legendary and always my Birthday cake ---and I actually cried at the prospect of never having that flaky deliciousness ever again when I was Dxed. She went gluten-free after my diagnosis, so no more pie was made.
Fast forward to last week...
I finally perfected the pie crust (thank you ,fattening Lard !! and The Bronskis' recipe)

and when she said "OmyGahd, this is better than mine..."

I almost fainted. I said "I'm sorry, what did you say, Ma?"....just to hear it again....and

I thought, well, I could die right now knowing my Mom had given me the ultimate compliment.

That is so awesome!!

I have a similarly cool compliment I got. I grew up in my grammy's kitchen. (More or less. It's where all my best memories are.) Every Saturday morning we would bake together all morning then feed lunch to whatever men were around. Sometimes just my grandpa, sometimes it seems hordes of them were there helping out at the sawmill, cutting firewood, out at the shop or whatever. Well one afternoon my grandpa said after he polished off his apple pie that after all these years, that was the best pie she ever made him. With the grace I have never seen anyone but her master (Grace is her middle name after all) she told him thank you, but your granddaughter made that pie. :D I knew then that I had "made it" so to speak.

Now I just need to finish mastering that gluten free. B)

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3814 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Hahaha, my mother now calls me for cooking advice. That is not how I had imagined our role
reversal would start! :D

(men- warning! girl talk follows!)

Love2, I have to go next week for further testing on an abnormal Pap that came back. I am also
ordering myself not to freak out! Hard, isn't it? I'm only 28, but there is so very much cancer in
my family that they are going to want to start testing my breasts soon, so will likely have to find
someone who does breast thermography, which is a heat imaging scan. It's a rapidly advancing
imaging technology. I'm much too young for a mammogram to have any kind of accurate results.
I also have a fibrocystic breast, so that would mess up a mammogram too.

Funny how we just can't stay on topic, eh? :D :D
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#3815 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

Hahaha, my mother now calls me for cooking advice. That is not how I had imagined our role
reversal would start! :D

(men- warning! girl talk follows!)

Love2, I have to go next week for further testing on an abnormal Pap that came back. I am also
ordering myself not to freak out! Hard, isn't it? I'm only 28, but there is so very much cancer in
my family that they are going to want to start testing my breasts soon, so will likely have to find
someone who does breast thermography, which is a heat imaging scan. It's a rapidly advancing
imaging technology. I'm much too young for a mammogram to have any kind of accurate results.
I also have a fibrocystic breast, so that would mess up a mammogram too.

Funny how we just can't stay on topic, eh? :D :D

Oh, so sorry about cancer running in your family. My dad died of cancer, too.

Just saw a show on TV about thermography and it is now being outlawed in areas in Canada because it gives so many false positives and false negatives. Brand new research as of a few days ago. Not to scare you or anything but I would personally think twice about it. Many clinics have been instructed they must immediately halt the procedure. Interesting. But if you have no cysts or other stuff mammograms are not painful - my first one was a breeze. The digital mammograms are incredibly accurate. The tech told me that they are so sensitive they pick up tiny hairs that are invisible to the naked eye.

My sister had an abnormal pap and had to go for further testing and it was nothing. It is far better that they seem to be thorough and not take any chances.

I know what you mean about staying on topic. Where else can you discuss bowel movements, breast massage, migraines and food on the same threads? :lol:
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3816 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

My Mom has always called me for cooking advice. I was the cook in the family since I was very young. Friends and people I don't even know call me several times a week re food-related questions. Love it!

Tonight we are traveling to India:

Authentic Chicken Curry (with homemade Madras and mango chutney) with Toasted Almonds
Curried Potatoes with Mustard Seeds
Cardamom-Scented Roasted Carrots

And, this is not Indian, but we are having fresh-out-of-the-oven Country Batard bread. It is nice and light and airy.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3817 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

Oh, so sorry about cancer running in your family. My dad died of cancer, too.

Just saw a show on TV about thermography and it is now being outlawed in areas in Canada because it gives so many false positives and false negatives. Brand new research as of a few days ago. Not to scare you or anything but I would personally think twice about it. Many clinics have been instructed they must immediately halt the procedure. Interesting. But if you have no cysts or other stuff mammograms are not painful - my first one was a breeze. The digital mammograms are incredibly accurate. The tech told me that they are so sensitive they pick up tiny hairs that are invisible to the naked eye.

My sister had an abnormal pap and had to go for further testing and it was nothing. It is far better that they seem to be thorough and not take any chances.

I know what you mean about staying on topic. Where else can you discuss bowel movements, breast massage, migraines and food on the same threads? :lol:

I'd love to see that show. Generally, thermography is never intended as a replacement for mammograms,
it is intended to be supplemental, or helpful in cases where a woman is too young for accurate mammograms,
like myself. It would likely be used in conjunction with ultrasound for someone like me, until I reach an age
where mammograms would be effective. Hopefully, by that point smushing of the boobies will be a thing of
the past, given all the damage mine have already endured.... :ph34r: I am curious as to why there is an outcry
against thermography in Canada but have not seen anything about it in the states as of yet. Off I go to read!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#3818 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

I'd love to see that show. Generally, thermography is never intended as a replacement for mammograms,
it is intended to be supplemental, or helpful in cases where a woman is too young for accurate mammograms,
like myself. It would likely be used in conjunction with ultrasound for someone like me, until I reach an age
where mammograms would be effective. Hopefully, by that point smushing of the boobies will be a thing of
the past, given all the damage mine have already endured.... :ph34r: I am curious as to why there is an outcry
against thermography in Canada but have not seen anything about it in the states as of yet. Off I go to read!

It was on the news and a documentary - will do some digging to see if I can find the info to post. It was very interesting and the first I had heard of the strong opposition to it. Sometimes you have to wonder whom to believe?

ETA: Here is one short article - will do some more looking.
http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ermography.html

One more...this is the main one.
http://www.cbc.ca/ne...anada-1127.html

Edited by love2travel, 30 November 2012 - 02:05 PM.

#3819 Persei V.

Persei V.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

Beans and steak.

Dried bananas from a different brand dissapointed me and now I'm bloated and gassy. At least I don't have D, nor cramping,.. Well, maybe beans aren't a good idea, but it's what I can eat...
Lactose free: 8/6/2006
Gluten and dairy free: 5/2/2012
Grain free: 11/12/2012

I am able to eat somre processed foods again (chocolate, lollipops, soysauce).

#3820 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

Beans and steak.

Dried bananas from a different brand dissapointed me and now I'm bloated and gassy. At least I don't have D, nor cramping,.. Well, maybe beans aren't a good idea, but it's what I can eat...

How are you doing your beans and steak? Inquiring minds want details! ;)

#3821 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

Honestly, i don't think the men venture into this thread very much :lol: I could be wrong.

#3822 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

[/size]

....... and it isn't necessarily an oncoming train... :lol: Like you, I remain steadfast in my resolve to obtain full recovery.

& cheers to being "vertical" babes!! go get 'em champ!

What does your jerky taste like?

I have never made it in my life. Willing to try anything, am I!

As you can tell, I'm not GottaSki responding here ( :lol: ) but what the heck...try this jerky recipe. Dead easy and even more deadly tasting.
http://www.food.com/...eef-jerky-42272

#3823 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

And this is why we thought it would be okay to call it Dinner and a Chat :lol:

Seriously, girls....as someone who has had abnormal paps many times, a surgical breast biopsy and a mass removed... and who now undergoes mammos (the new digital mammos and ultra sound) sometimes as often as every 6 months, I can honestly say DO NOT PANIC or lose any sleep--just go, have the test and be grateful they have tests to detect these anomolies so early. Most times, it's NOTHING.

Honestly, i don't think the men venture into this thread very much :lol: I could be wrong.

Nope, I think you're right! :lol:

As you can tell, I'm not GottaSki responding here ( :lol: ) but what the heck...try this jerky recipe. Dead easy and even more deadly tasting.
http://www.food.com/...eef-jerky-42272

Thank you and I am sure SKIdoodle will also reply....she may be taking her walk--after all, she is vertical again...YAAYY!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#3824 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

Now I just need to finish mastering that gluten free. B)

SWEET story and if you want, I'l tell you what I did to make that pie.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#3825 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Beef stew with dumplings.

Wow, I have missed so much being away from here for a few days. Communes, ER's and breasts!

Re: communes, can I come? I'll bring my sewing machine and make MuuMuu's.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

Ah, but I was so much older then, Im younger than that now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: