9509 replies to this topic

#3946 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,090 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

Mr Mindwarp made venison stew. No idea what is in it but I can't wait.

Early tea then of to see the Bond movie, 1st night out without kids since about September :o

:D Hip Hip Hooray :D

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#3947 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

They should pay us for telling everyone how much we love these pans!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The End.

That would be awesome! and then, we should also get kickbacks from Nuts.com, Culturelle, Country Life vitamins, Enjoy Life Chips, etc.....that some of us rave about, but then , it would be a serious conflict of interest...and then, we could not post here anymore and then, we would be sad. :(...and we can't have sadness, because well, that's no fun.. :lol: The End

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3948 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

That would be awesome! and then, we should also get kickbacks from Nuts.com, Culturelle, Country Life vitamins, Enjoy Life Chips, etc.....that some of us rave about, but then , it would be a serious conflict of interest...and then, we could not post here anymore and then, we would be sad. :(...and we can't have sadness, because well, that's no fun.. :lol: The End

Yes, I'm afraid so.

The End
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3949 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

As we have been carnivores as of late tonight is Caesar Salad night. I am making delicious croutons from bagels (I like larger chunks with lots of nooks and crannies) and making the dressing from scratch as I always do.

Today I am making homemade chorizo sausage to freeze. I am also making a batch of sweet and spicy mustard. Oh, yes. And roasted poblano and corn soup. This gives me such pleasure and joy. :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3950 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

This gives me such pleasure and joy. :)

......and gives us the same--- just to read it, Lovey.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#3951 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

I might do a pasta with butter sauce...

#3952 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,090 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Dad's 82nd Birthday tomorrow so we celebrate tonight!

Crunchmaster Crackers with warm BACON Jam & Tortilla Chips with Spinach Dip for snacks

Steak, Creamy Garlic Enchiladas (oops just remember I need to add this recipe to another thread), The Original Ceasar Salad

Blueberry Cheesecake for my Dad and the rest of the family

Blueberry Ice Cream for myself -- I am so excited I've improved my safe vanilla almond ice cream to be less ICE and more CREAM and added blueberries -- I can hardly wait for dessert -- earlier today I was having a bit of a pity party while making the blueberry cheesecake.

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#3953 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

Dad's 82nd Birthday tomorrow so we celebrate tonight!

Crunchmaster Crackers with warm BACON Jam & Tortilla Chips with Spinach Dip for snacks

Steak, Creamy Garlic Enchiladas (oops just remember I need to add this recipe to another thread), The Original Ceasar Salad

Blueberry Cheesecake for my Dad and the rest of the family

Blueberry Ice Cream for myself -- I am so excited I've improved my safe vanilla almond ice cream to be less ICE and more CREAM and added blueberries -- I can hardly wait for dessert -- earlier today I was having a bit of a pity party while making the blueberry cheesecake.

This sounds like a wonderful party menu, Ski!!
Have a great time. & HBD to Daddy Ski.

PS. ((hugs)) on the pity party--but remember---It may not be forever.
Hang tough, vertical chickie--you're making great progress!!
Love, your equally ridiculously fiesty tenacious optimistic warrior celiac sister, IH

and that BACON JAM is redunkulous...yum yum yum
oh
and the hubster would like to know --what's the creamy garlic enchiladas all about? he is interested.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#3954 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Tonight I have my home-made minestrone (which should never contain pasta, IMO!) with: butternut, zucchini, rainbow chard, mushrooms, leeks, romaine, tomatoes, carrots, celery, fennel, and chunks of chicken. And I have finally made my first loaf of coconut bread, so I will have some toasted with olive oil and basil for garnish!

(Vegetable soup is my comfort food. Weird, I know.)
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#3955 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

(Vegetable soup is my comfort food. Weird, I know.)

not weird to me--sounds YUMMY! enjoy!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#3956 Persei V.

Persei V.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

Slices of one laaarge banana topped with chocolate and cinnamon almond butter

Chicken breast yakissoba sans the noodles

Guava juice and acerola juice (yup, two glasses)

I was hungry.
Lactose free: 8/6/2006
Gluten and dairy free: 5/2/2012
Grain free: 11/12/2012

I am able to eat somre processed foods again (chocolate, lollipops, soysauce).

#3957 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,090 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:03 AM

This sounds like a wonderful party menu, Ski!!
Have a great time. & HBD to Daddy Ski.

PS. ((hugs)) on the pity party--but remember---It may not be forever.
Hang tough, vertical chickie--you're making great progress!!
Love, your equally ridiculously fiesty tenacious optimistic warrior celiac sister, IH

and that BACON JAM is redunkulous...yum yum yum
oh
and the hubster would like to know --what's the creamy garlic enchiladas all about? he is interested.

Good Morning All-

What a wonderful night -- first family gathering (yep they are always at our house -- long before food was an issue) this year that I wasn't sick, tired, bloated or in pain for the whole event :D

LOL -- no ski daddy here -- except my hubby -- my Dad is the farthest thing from sporty that you can get -- he is a wonderful musician / conductor that led the largest choral concerts in San Diego for many years. He's not handy either -- thus this sporty chick went off on her own adventures as a kid when she wasn't fixing things around the house for everyone else ;) He is, however, a strong, healthy world traveler (wish I did have his genes - I'm adopted) that enjoys good food -- thankfully my hubby and kids all know how to cook so when I fall short on any meal there are plenty hands to pick up the prep. Yesterday I made everything myself - except for shredding a pork roast and grating the mountain of cheese needed for a large quantity of enchiladas.

So Creamy Garlic Enchiladas got their base in a pre-dx Enchiladas Verdes recipe a friend of mine concocted about 25 years ago. The basis for that recipe was a can of green enchilada sauce which is doctored to taste heavenly -- found out very quickly after dx that the brand I used had gluten and tried other brands of sauce, but they just didn't taste the same. So back to kitchen chemistry I went because this family can not live without enchiladas. There were a few good versions, but my family says these are the best yet...I have not tasted this exact recipe, but did have some rice tortilla enchiladas with a similar garlic sauce last year while trialing dairy -- family assures this is the best:

Creamy Garlic Enchiladas
  • Corn Tortillas - Rice work too, but corn are better
  • Jack Cheese - about a pound for a single pan
  • Any meat -- Turkey, Chicken, Pork -- leftovers work great. You can also use shirmp, crab.
  • Sauce
  • Diced Tomato and Green Onion for garnish on top
Yesterday I used an inexpensive pork roast -- had pork roast for dinner on Friday and just cooked extra meat then.

In blender:

1 and 1/2 Cup Cream
4 or 5 Cloves Garlic
Handful Fresh Cilantro
1/4 Cup Green Salsa (any brand)
1/4 Cup Sugar
Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper

Blend until well mixed - careful not to go too long or you'll have whipped cream - if it does thicken a bit too much just add a bit of water to thin. Thick is fine, just don't want "whip cream peaks" -- it should still laddle or pour.

Assemble in rectangular baking dish -- I use three different sizes depending on the crowd coming. If this is the main entree I make 2-3 per person -- if it is a side dish 1-2 per person. I live with my hubby and two teen/young adult men -- I make 4 each for them so there'll will be a few leftover. My Mom and Sister generally eat 2 each.
  • In front of you is a rectangular pan, a bowl of grated cheese and a bowl of meat and the sauce
  • Heat the tortillas in a plastic bag in the microwave OR steam them in a covered sauce pot on the stove.
  • Pour or laddle enough sauce to lightly cover the pan then start rolling
  • One tortilla...small amount of meat along with a small amount of cheese - Roll as tight as possible..can be frustrating, but easy to learn -- keep rolling until the last enchilada holds them all in place.
  • Pour sauce over the tortillas -- you don't use it all...I pour or laddle along the center - leaving the ends kinda dry
  • Cover with more grated cheese
  • Sprinkle with diced tomato, green onion and black pepper
Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 -- these can be made up to a day ahead and then baked when ready. If they've been in the frig you may need more baking time -- they should be kinda bubbly and just starting to tan.

These can be made with just garlic, cream and black pepper for those with nightshade issues -- no way for dairy free right now, but I'm working on it ;)

Edited to add -- yes the Bacon Jam is indeed redunkulous and shall now be known as Redunkulous Bacon Jam in our home -- everyone devoured the Bacon Jam on Crackers and left the pour bowl of Spinach Dip feeling very lonely -- also sent a teeny-tiny tupperware of RBJ home with each family member. They are eternally grateful to you LT2 -- your ears must have been bright red about 5pm PST yesterday - Thanks again!

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#3958 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:26 AM

Ski, Thanks for sharing your story (I enjoyed it with my coffee this AM) and for the recipe. Hubs will be thrilled.
I will make them very soon

Pork tenderloin tonight
Sweet potatoes
Sauteed chard
applesauce

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#3959 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

I am about to feed the kids sausages and potato waffles then we are off to sons nativity. I love that stuff :)

Had a great time at the movies and enjoyed Bond
:) ;)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#3960 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

I am about to feed the kids sausages and potato waffles then we are off to sons nativity. I love that stuff :)

Had a great time at the movies and enjoyed Bond
:) ;)

;) I'll bet

PS I love that stuff, too. Is it much like the children's nativity in "Love Actually"? :D

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: