9532 replies to this topic

#406 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:23 PM

We had an early St. Patrick's day meal because a vegatarian is going to be a houseguest on the 17th. We had corned beef and cabbage, carrots, taters and onion. It's the first time I've pressure cooked it ... and the Irish Boyfriend gave the meal an "A +"

Now I'm trying to think of a good meal for St. Pattie's with the vegetarian. (She's Irish too.)

Any suggestions?
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#407 Teri Lou

Teri Lou

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:49 AM

Have a good vegetarian side for you- Kilkannon Potatoes...sautee some diced onion with 1/2 bag shredded cabbage....and then stir into a bit bowl of mashed potatoes...delicious! and very Irish! Good luck finding a veggie free main course!

#408 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:16 AM

Vichyssoise Soup and Homemade gluten-free Italian Breadsticks
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#409 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

Baked chicken breast, Lundberg rice (Wild Blend) and fresh asparagus.

And fresh strawberries later this evening
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#410 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:05 PM

Have a good vegetarian side for you- Kilkannon Potatoes...sautee some diced onion with 1/2 bag shredded cabbage....and then stir into a bit bowl of mashed potatoes...delicious! and very Irish! Good luck finding a veggie free main course!

For those who don't consume nightshades there is a delicious version of this using parsnips instead of potatoes (use a little less cabbage :o )
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#411 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:23 PM

We had corned beef with potatoes carrots and onions in the slow cooker. Was going to do cabbage too but hubby confessed to me he really doesn't like cabbage (unless they are cabbage rolls) and I couldn't find a crockpot recipe that let me add the cabbage at the same time as everything else so I just gave up (felt lazy and didn't want to steam or braise the cabbage separately if only I was going to eat it). Looks like I will be making cabbage rolls later this week.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#412 Wenmin

Wenmin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:24 PM

Had some gumbo from the freezer since I've ben busy with so many things lately...

Wenmin

#413 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:42 PM

Nachos!

#414 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:57 AM

GlutenfreeManna, how about that cabbage roll recipe? I tried some with disasterous results.

#415 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:37 AM

GlutenfreeManna, how about that cabbage roll recipe? I tried some with disasterous results.

I make mine in the slow cooker. Here is what I do:

Filling:
1 lb LEAN ground beef or ground turkey (important for it to be lean)
1 cup cooked rice
1 small onion finely chopped
1 large egg
1 clove minced garlic (or more if you really like garlic)
salt and pepper to taste (I don't measure but probably 1/8 teapsoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon reg salt or 1 teaspoon kosher salt)

1 head cabbage
1 jar spaghetti sauce (I use Prego traditional)

Mix the filling ingredients in large bowl.
Take the head of cabbage and heat in a microwave safe covered casserole with about 1/2 cup of water for 1 minute. You can also use a deep bowl covered with microwave safe saran wrap vented at one corner OR you can boil a pot of water on the stove and steam individual leaves for 1-2 minutes until soft enough to wrap.

Peel off the cabbage leaves, fill with filling and place in slow cooker, seam side down.

Pour spaghetti sauce over cabbage rolls. Then take about 1/2 cup of water, put in spaghetti jar and swish it around. Pour the tomato water over the rolls.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.

I have also used tomatoes seasoned with itailian seasonings instead of spaghetti sauce but the sauce is fast and gives the right flavor. You can also vary the veggies or spices in the fillings if you want.

These will taste even better leftover the next day.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#416 Teri Lou

Teri Lou

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:33 AM

Polenta with doctored up Prego and steamed broccoli....I am in a veggie rut....anyone have any good veggie recipes (preferably cooked as raw veggies don't agree with me presently, hopefully I can add salads back in after I have been doing this awhile)

TIA!

#417 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:59 AM

Veggie beef soup pulled from my stash in the freezer.

I need something light to go with the Multigrain Sandwich Bread I made today, which I know I'll pig out on when it's fresh. (recipe from Gluten-Free Baking Classics by Annalise Roberts). I'm testing something different by cooling the loaf upside down...I read that somewhere (maybe here ???). The theory is that the bread will not be as dense on the bottom. Guess I'll find out.
Sylvia

#418 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:29 PM

Oven fried chicken with spinach risotto--all made in the oven. Easy with a quick clean-up :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#419 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

For those who don't consume nightshades there is a delicious version of this using parsnips instead of potatoes (use a little less cabbage :o )

This sound quite yummy :D

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#420 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

Tonight is corned beef and cabbage, potatoes and carrots. I make it once a year and today's the day.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!
Sylvia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: