9532 replies to this topic

#4366 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

My grandma lived to be 100 ( born in 1898). She ate bacon, butter, lard, real sugar ( lots), coffee,etc. she did like an occasional 7 Up , packaged crackers, and Suzette's chocolates. But mainly foods she made herself from whole ingredients. I told her my little 18 mo old liked frozen corn ( he wanted it still frozen) and she said, very seriously, " I think frozen is as healthy as fresh or canned". Frozen foods were new during her life!

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#4367 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

My grandma lived to be 100 ( born in 1898). She ate bacon, butter, lard, real sugar ( lots), coffee,etc. she did like an occasional 7 Up , packaged crackers, and Suzette's chocolates. But mainly foods she made herself from whole ingredients. I told her my little 18 mo old liked frozen corn ( he wanted it still frozen) and she said, very seriously, " I think frozen is as healthy as fresh or canned". Frozen foods were new during her life!

My Grandmother keeps saltines and Ritz in her house. She also keeps a jar with Milky Way which are my grandfather's weakness, but they're the teensy little ones and they maybe go through a bag 2 or 3 times a year and only because the "kids" (meaning grown grandkids or smaller great grandkids) are getting into them. Soda in cans is kept around for upset stomachs. Other than that I can't think of anything packaged in her house that isn't cereal. She still speaks of the one time in winter when bread wouldn't rise and she had to buy a loaf almost in hushed tones as if it is some dirty family secret that a store bought loaf of bread made it into her house. I do lots of frozen instead of canned things, but so does she. She actually keeps 2 deep freezers in her basement, one for meat and one for veggies and fruit. I'm sure with my brother's haul of 6 deer this season she has quite the freezer full now! Hm... maybe it is time for a visit. This is sounding pretty delicious. :D

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4368 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Worth learning to pronounce prosciutto :). And I am sure someone's Grammy ate it...
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#4369 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

This is pretty much where I am now. If I think to myself that my Grammy would be ashamed of my dinner, I'm doing it wrong. She may be 2000 miles away, but she is still in my kitchen every day.

My beloved Grams is a lot farther away than that (wherever heaven is) but she did enjoy one or two packaged things.
Corn Flakes is one.
She loved them! :D with the milk that came every morning from the dairy truck. In glass bottles. (gawd, I'm old)
...and I always picture us together in the backyard, shelling the peas she grew, or grinding the meat from the butcher herself -- the grinder was bolted to the pantry table (I called it making meat spaghetti), the loving way she hand rolled rice -stuffed grape leaves, and the grapes she magically made into "fruit sheets" that we cut into strips and then rolled walnuts inside--think "fruit roll ups" (long before those things hit the market shelves)... ooh, or the roasted lamb and the Armenian pizza called Lamejun...all fresh herbs, spices and garden tomatoes and peppers and the cold room she had off the kitchen where she stored the garlic, the tubers and the herbs hanging upside down to dry.....just wonderful memories.. Her house smelled like love.

Amazingly strong woman coming here at 18 and making a new life for herself after fleeing the invading Turks... aw crap, now I'm crying.... I miss my Grams.

:unsure: she did however, make terrible coffee....you could stand a spoon up straight in that sludge cup. :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4370 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Good News on the Cabana Boyz front (& backs ;))

We need look no further than the volleyball courts of South Mission Beach - I spied many glorious candidates this morning - no pics - I know a few people down there - with my luck a photo of me taking pics of/oogling at our candidates would end up on FB!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4371 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

Breakfast for dinner tonight - new batch of RBJ going in the crock soon to coat the men's waffles :)

Not sure I shared - I have now tasted the redunculous substance with no ill effect - keeping it to just a taste until I reach the six month of improved health mark - counted Thanksgiving Day as start of clock.

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#4372 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

I spied many glorious candidates this morning - no pics - I know a few people down there - with my luck a photo of me taking pics of/oogling at our candidates would end up on FB!

Or worse.

News at 11: Crazy ski-goggled woman caught taking semi nude pics of bronzed young men.
Claims it's for a "secret society of women who need them for their enclosed private compound to perform various duties such as shoveling, serving drinks, eating gourmet meals and just being hunky. Possible reanimation of dead handsome male celebs also involved in the bizarre cult plans..... Charges pending..."

Not sure I shared - I have now tasted the redunculous substance with no ill effect

seriously....anyone reading that sentence on its own?....would wonder exactly what the hell we are up to on this thread.....

and congrats on all these victories.:)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#4373 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

Breakfast for dinner tonight - new batch of RBJ going in the crock soon to coat the men's waffles :)

Not sure I shared - I have now tasted the redunculous substance with no ill effect - keeping it to just a taste until I reach the six month of improved health mark - counted Thanksgiving Day as start of clock.

WOOOO!!!! I'm waiting until I'm free to eat bacon to make some. I know I could just make it and refrain from eating it. I know that in theory I have the willpower to refrain, after all I've made it this far with all this other crap. But I'm also honest with myself, I'll tell myself to double up my topamax and dig in and probably still end up half blind. :lol:

seriously....anyone reading that sentence on its own?....would wonder exactly what the hell we are up to on this thread.....

I doubt that is anyone's business. At least we know that any men who wander along will roll their eyes and call us a bunch of crazy old broads and promptly leave before they end up kidnapped and put to work shoveling snow half naked for our pleasure.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4374 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

Unless we have just found a recruiting ground. I may not be helping.

Burgers, sweet potatoes, sprouts, carrots, broccoli and avocado oil. So far so good.
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#4375 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Burgers, sweet potatoes, sprouts, carrots, broccoli and avocado oil. So far so good.

Roasted Chicken, sweet potatoes, carrots and coconut oil. Ditto.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#4376 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

High 5 for day 1. I have sent Mr Mindwarp to the shops to get more meat veg and eggs :). I am having encores for breakfast. That should make him wince, he is not a fan of sprouts or mornings...

#4377 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

I will be wincing myself ----as I am unable to eat eggs alone without nausea (can do them baked IN things)
and have no clue what's for breakie...except ..encores. Coffee with full fat coconut milk and no sugar was....er, um interesting.
:lol: and when 5:00 happy hour rolls around soon....I may be wincing then too..

I am doing this for the sole purpose of seeing if I can reduce inflammation. Losing weight is a side benefit
of course, but the reality is, I do not feel well most days and the pain index... just plain sucks.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#4378 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

WOOOO!!!! I'm waiting until I'm free to eat bacon to make some. I know I could just make it and refrain from eating it. I know that in theory I have the willpower to refrain, after all I've made it this far with all this other crap. But I'm also honest with myself, I'll tell myself to double up my topamax and dig in and probably still end up half blind. :lol:

Totally with you on this train of thought -- my will power has gained a lot of strength this year -- getting taken back out last spring clinched it for me -- I can now sit comfortably with all sorts of treats others are munching, crunching and praising without blinking an eye (well maybe I blink, but it is easier than it used to be) -- even the RBJ waited a month before I tasted -- finally gave in to "make sure" it really is as good as reported ;)

PS...I trained the teen chef in the family to make RBJ this morning -- I'm certain this family will not be without it for long -- hubby said something like they have been eating too much bacon as they were munching candied bacon on Christmas morning -- could have heard a pin drop on the carpet -- needless to say all are happy that Mom does the grocery shopping once again -- things are right in our world!

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#4379 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

If I may kinda sorta jump on the bandwagon and commiserate --as of today I am embarking on the 8 Hour Diet. 8 hours of eating (sensibly but normally), 16 hours of fasting (no cal beverages ok).

I'm weak and can not give up dairy--had to for years and now that I have it back....I...just...can't :unsure:

Today has been ok so far. I figure I'll give it 6 weeks.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4380 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

I did have a small handful of macadamias mid afternoon when I thought I might keel over, but that was because my daughter woke at 5 this morning. I had my decaf with creamed coconut. The milk I tried a few weeks ago was better. My tum feels happy, full but light if that makes any sense. I confess I spent some time looking at suitable mayo recipes earlier. There are some and it appears to be a acceptable :).

I spent a long time in denial about dairy. I am secretly hoping when I reintroduce it it will be ok. Fingers crossed (I'd happily do bribary if I thought it would work)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: