This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Adalaide Mentor

My dad has hunted (successfully) buffalo, elk, bear, moose and countless deer. I think he's done turkey and other fowl but I'm not totally sure. He's probably hunted more things that I don't know about. He got his buffalo in Utah and I know he hunted something in Canada. (His elk maybe?) When I told him I was hosting my first Christmas dinner ever, he told me he had just gotten his special license for buffalo in Utah, and that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity and would I be mad at him for going? I was like "not if you kill one!" It was delicious! I know he's my dad, but I'm still incredibly proud to be such an amazing hunter's daughter.

I blame it on the farm. When you grow up having a birth to table relationship with your meat, you tend to see walking around animals that are eligible to be food as well... food. I see a deer and I'm like omg isn't s/he beautiful! I'll bet it would make delicious steaks. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

love2travel Mentor

[quote name="IrishHeart" post="896890" timestamp="1385158287you're welcome, but seriously, I have never, ever heard of subbing in a pack of vanilla pudding for vanilla. I am surprised it did not throw off the ratio of wet to dry ingredients and collapse them, so Good job! See, you can cook! And seriously, time to step away from the muffins, babes. :lol:

Now see! There's always a sub, (but just don't use pencils, rubber bands, tea cups, that sort of thing. Makes for icky chili.)

ack! bambi killer bambi killer oMyGawd...run, bambi run for your life!!

et tu, addy???  :(  sigh

No. ;)

However.....

:lol: sorry, but I am laughing my ample ass off here. I love you, babes, but surely 

you knew this was not going to be gourmet fare. xx hehe

Bet your Mum found it fun.

love2travel Mentor

I kept telling Mom I was not going for the food and knew it would not be great but a bit of seasoning would have been nice. Oh, well. The theatre was great fun and hanging around with Mom is just wonderful. Tonight she told me she was a bit worried when the food was so meh as she felt I might say something. But I didn't. I kept it zipped. Poor dear Mom.

But tonight we ate well. I made shrimp and hominy grits and Eton Mess.

Oh, bother. How did I manage the above messy post?!
Adalaide Mentor

At least you didn't have to go another night suffering as a mere mortal with mortal food. :P

Tonight is our "eat whatever you want night" that lets my husband eat something gluteny and I can eat something he won't like. I don't know what I'll throw together, but whatever it is it'll be simple. Whatever could go wrong today, did. At this rate I'll be surprised if I don't burn the house down boiling water. :ph34r:

Adalaide Mentor

Well, I managed to make hard boiled eggs without burning the house down! My husband thinks I'm weird whenever I do it, but I made myself a ginormous salad for dinner. A huge huge bowl of lettuce, topped with sliced ham, diced chicken, a boiled egg, a very light sprinkle of cheese and ranch. It sounds crazy, but it was only a little of each so it wasn't like it was a buttload of meat on top of a little lettuce. I should have made croutons, but didn't think of it until it was all together and I was too hungry to wait.

He's going to eat his leftovers tonight, so I suppose I'm on my own. I'll probably see if I can't find a store with salads on sale and see if I can't repeat last night. Only + croutons.

shadowicewolf Proficient

guys.... cheese crackers with cream cheese dip is really good. :ph34r:

Something with lots of veggies for dinner.

ItchyAbby Enthusiast

Tonight:

Burgers on HUMONGINORMOUS biscuits

...with homemade relish and tomato jam.

Oh and a salad.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

I just had some raw veggies (carrots and sugar snap peas) with cream cheese dip....

Adalaide Mentor

I just had some raw veggies (carrots and sugar snap peas) with cream cheese dip....

I love peas!

That whole trip to the store for a salad thing didn't work out. The barely above freezing weather and wind was enough to convince me that I'm not that interested in salad. Burger and sweet potato fries.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I love peas!

That whole trip to the store for a salad thing didn't work out. The barely above freezing weather and wind was enough to convince me that I'm not that interested in salad. Burger and sweet potato fries.

I only like them if they are raw :) I love sugar snap peas.

LauraTX Rising Star

Yesterday: I made homemade mac n cheese, and put cooked cubed chicken, carrots, and broccoli in the sauce with the noodles so it was like a one pot meal.  

Today: Nachos with refried beans, taco meat, cheese, salsa, and guac

Tomorrow: Grilled chicken with carrots and potatoes au gratin

IrishHeart Veteran

I kept telling Mom I was not going for the food and knew it would not be great but a bit of seasoning would have been nice. Oh, well. The theatre was great fun and hanging around with Mom is just wonderful. Tonight she told me she was a bit worried when the food was so meh as she felt I might say something. But I didn't. I kept it zipped. Poor dear Mom.

But tonight we ate well. I made shrimp and hominy grits and Eton Mess.

As long as you had a wonderful time with your Mom. That's all that matters. :)

We had a beef prime rib Saturday and I imagine it will reinvent itself as sandwiches today. A bit of horseradish cream, onions on a baguette.

I also have a pate and some creamy brie. Maybe more baguette. Maybe sweet potato fries. And champagne.

The last of the big honking tub of sea salt and caramel gelato. (that stuff is just ridiculous!)

This will conclude birthday week. Just in time for Thanksgiving week and then, it will be anniversary week. Followed by J's birthday week.

Followed by Christmas frivolity.It's a busy season for festivities in our house.  :D 

It just seems strange to see Christmas decorations up and it's 80 degrees. This part will take some getting used to, I'm afraid.

oh, and sugar snap peas are awesome.

IrishHeart Veteran

Yesterday: I made homemade mac n cheese, and put cooked cubed chicken, carrots, and broccoli in the sauce with the noodles so it was like a one pot meal.  

Today: Nachos with refried beans, taco meat, cheese, salsa, and guac

Tomorrow: Grilled chicken with carrots and potatoes au gratin

You sure eat well, Laura ;) that all sounds like yum!

Hey, I noticed your profile message says you've got extra coupons for people you wish to share.

That's very sweet of you! I hope people take you up on it. 

Adalaide Mentor

My board says George, so I guess it's ham for dinner. I'll make some sort of potatoes and veggies to go with it. I think I have some bread in the freezer that will probably work well as a gravy delivery device.

Apparently I've gone... however long it's existed without knowing about fitnessblender. I've discovered it has workouts that I'm semi-capable of at least sort of attempting. Not my favorite way to spend part of my afternoon every day, but if I don't start doing something with holidays and my birthday coming up I'm going to look like Jabba. :ph34r: I'm pretty sure I'm already more out of shape than Jabba, and the site still has things I can handle. (sort of)

IrishHeart Veteran

Take it from me, whose muscles were almost atrophied and so painful I wanted to just roll over and die.....you CAN exercise gently, walk, 

and maybe even lift some weights. I started slow and worked my way up. My muscles are totally different than 10 months ago. I could not even open  a jar at one point and  I needed help getting dressed. But here is what I know about muscles: use them or lose them. 

Yoga is GREAT for those of us who suffered muscular issues from celiac.

You can do this. I am 20 years older than you and I promise you, you can do this.

xx

LauraTX Rising Star

You sure eat well, Laura ;) that all sounds like yum!

Hey, I noticed your profile message says you've got extra coupons for people you wish to share.

That's very sweet of you! I hope people take you up on it. 

I have discovered one of the best cures for boredom while I can't work is cooking things and spending time in the kitchen.  Promoting stereotypes, haha.    And no one has messaged me about the coupons yet, I just had all those and was about to toss them but I was like, there has to be $50 here and some family could use them.   Feel free to send someone my way.

IrishHeart Veteran

I have discovered one of the best cures for boredom while I can't work is cooking things and spending time in the kitchen.  Promoting stereotypes, haha.    And no one has messaged me about the coupons yet, I just had all those and was about to toss them but I was like, there has to be $50 here and some family could use them.   Feel free to send someone my way.

Holy smokes...come on, guys...she's got the goods! ;)

If no one takes them in a day or so, I'll ask you to send them to me for someone I know can use them. (I just want protect her anonymity)

and she is not on this forum. 

Thanks, Laura :wub:

and cooking and spending time in the kitchen is NEVER wasted time. Nor is it a stereotype, as far as I know.

Adalaide Mentor

I promote that stereotype too! I'm all baking and cooking and having dinner ready when my husband gets home from work. Sometimes I feel like I need one of those dresses Donna Reed wore. I actually also do my hair in pin curls because I refuse to damage it with heat styling. I'm such a stereotype it's sickening!

IrishHeart Veteran

wait wait wait a second....not sure it's a "stereotype" to be the one who promotes healthy eating, prepares the food, designs the shopping list and

takes care of the hubs because we are more proficient at cooking and baking..  

Why is it a "stereotype"? Color me curious. Explain it to me.

No hair pins or pearls here. I am just a fabulous cook. :P

LauraTX Rising Star

Yep and without me, my husband would eat much fewer vegetables.  He knows about...most... of them.   ^_^    LOL

bburmeister0407 Rookie

I took two boxes of garden veggie Quinoa and cooked it with some onion, shredded zucchini and then tossed it with some gluten-free spaghetti sauce. Put it in a pan at 350 for 30 minutes then added mozz cheese and put it back in until bubbly.

DELICIOUS!

love2travel Mentor

Apple cider Bourbon glazed baby back ribs

Lemongrass coconut milk and such braised chicken thighs

Bay-infused rice

Orange rosemary butter braised carrots

Minted peas

Dessert? Probably fruit of some sort.

GF Lover Rising Star

I would like to order a to go plate of Love2's dinner. 

Colleen

Adalaide Mentor

Colleen

Wouldn't we all!

Last night we had chicken cheddar bacon ranch quesadillas and horchata. We have some leftover chicken so my husband wants the same tonight. I finally found Breton crackers (after emailing the company in desperation begging them for information) and they told me what local stores have ordered them. I can not describe in words what heavenly bliss it is to have crackers with the taste and texture of crackers. The month and a half it has been since the Expo looking for these things has been a living hell. So whatever else I have for dinner, I will have crackers. A very unhealthy sized serving of them to be sure. :ph34r:

love2travel Mentor

Colleen

Thanks! I admit it was loaded with flavour. Could be worse....