8829 replies to this topic

#4381 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

Good Luck Patti -- hope it isn't too hard on you :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#4382 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

Good Luck Patti -- hope it isn't too hard on you :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4383 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

If I may kinda sorta jump on the bandwagon and commiserate --as of today I am embarking on the 8 Hour Diet. 8 hours of eating (sensibly but normally), 16 hours of fasting (no cal beverages ok).

I'm weak and can not give up dairy--had to for years and now that I have it back....I...just...can't :unsure:

Today has been ok so far. I figure I'll give it 6 weeks.

Good luck with your new regime! :)

yes, losing dairy (and grains and legumes..... and booze ) is a tough one, but I've done it before and I can handle it for a month or so (she said with enthusiasm....)

I spent a long time in denial about dairy. I am secretly hoping when I reintroduce it it will be ok. Fingers crossed

Fingers crossed!!!.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4384 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

yes, losing dairy (and grains and legumes..... and booze ) is a tough one, but I've done it before and I can handle it for a month or so (she said with enthusiasm....)

I remember how when I lost those (plus some more), how freakin limited my diet was--but worth it in the end. Now, I just want to lose some weight.....I am on some meds that have cause a weight gain :angry: , and the clothes are getting tight :( and....I finally was honest with myself and my knee pain getting worse coincided with the weight gain, which was pretty sudden with the onset of the med. <_< So..... time to get my arse in gear B)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4385 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Good News on the Cabana Boyz front (& backs ;))

We need look no further than the volleyball courts of South Mission Beach - I spied many glorious candidates this morning - no pics - I know a few people down there - with my luck a photo of me taking pics of/oogling at our candidates would end up on FB!

Sounds like you are enjoying yourself on your cabana assignment. Maybe go incognito?! We need pictures for inspiration. I mean project. I mean, well, you know... ;)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4386 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

I've been grain free for over a month now, and have been 99% sugar free for over a year.
Honestly, I freaking hate it, but I just force myself to not think about it, because my bowels
are the closest to normal they've EVER been, and my general level of inflammation was
just getting way too out of hand. I may give 'fringe' grains (buckwheat, quinoa) a shot next
summer. For now, I'll stick with it because it's working. Hopefully when my general stress
levels are able to recede a bit food will stop biting back!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#4387 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Gin and juniper-marinated lamb chops with Dijon walnut crust
Hasselback potatoes with lots of bay and garlic
Red cabbage vinegary slaw
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4388 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,682 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

The recipe for the sour dough crust PLEASE !!!!!! :D

Here we go. This is from Mireille on Delphi forums:

1 1/4 c. rice flour
2 c. tapioca flour
1 c. dry milk powder
3 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
2 t. dry yeast granules
1/2 c. warm water (or a little more depending how thick is the dough)
1 c. sourdough starter*
1 Tbs sugar
3 Tbs shortening
1/2 c. hot water
4 egg whites, at room temp.

In bowl of a mixer, - mix flours, dried milk, xanthan gum & salt.
In small bowl or cup: Add sugar to ½ cup warm water and dissolve. Add the yeast and stir. Let sit until bubbling.

In small bowl or cup: Melt the shortening in the hot water

Blend the dry ingredients, and with the mixer on low, add the hot water/shortening, then, the egg whites, and finally, the sourdough starter & yeast/water/sugar.
Mix at High for 4 minutes.

Oil 2 pizza pans (I use large cookie sheets with rims) and sprinkle with cornmeal.

Spoon the dough onto the pans. It is very sticky. Dip plastic gloves or saran wrap or your fingers in olive oil pat the dough until not more than 1/4" thick. Let rise a little. Time varies depending of temperature. Hard to get smooth. Mine was very bumpy and didn’t rise much. It will smooth a bit when it cooks.

Bake at 475F for a few minutes until it starts to brown. Freeze at this point if you want it for later. If you use it right away, add your topping and bake until cheese is bubbly and the outer of pizza dough is golden.

*Starter:
2 1/4 tsp dry yeast granules
1 cup lukewarm water with 1 tsp of instant potato flakes (mix well)
1 tsp sugar
1 c. white rice flour
Use a big jar, or the such.
Dissolve yeast into the potato water. Stir in the sugar and rice flour. Cover with a saran wrap and let the jar sit out until fermented (1-3 days), stirring every few hrs at first. The mixture will bubble up and ferment and then die down with a skim of liquid on the top. Be sure to stir well before using. The consistency should be about that of pancake batter.

Replenish after use by feeding the remaining starter with 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water and 3/4 cup rice flour, each time you use some. I didn’t try to replenish. Most gets used in the recipe.

&#12288;

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#4389 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Good luck with your new regime! :)

Fingers crossed!!!.

You can do it!!!

I've been dairy, grain and legume free for 16 months!!! It gets easier....loads easier once you find safe ingredients :)

booze - now that I suggest trialing at least once per month

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#4390 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Sounds like you are enjoying yourself on your cabana assignment. Maybe go incognito?! We need pictures for inspiration. I mean project. I mean, well, you know... ;)

I've been practicing pretending to text while walking so that I can capture a shot or two without impacting my reputation too much ;)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#4391 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Posted Image

Here's a little cheerleader for us ALL to continue doing what needs to be done as we collectively kick the celiac monster and her bitchy friend Ms. Inflammation's butts into submission.

GO DINNER CHAT TEAM!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#4392 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

and for added inspiration, this guy (whom I think resembles Johnny Depp a bit) would like
to apply for a position as a cabana boy....

Posted Image

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#4393 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Or worse.

News at 11: Crazy ski-goggled woman caught taking semi nude pics of bronzed young men.
Claims it's for a "secret society of women who need them for their enclosed private compound to perform various duties such as shoveling, serving drinks, eating gourmet meals and just being hunky. Possible reanimation of dead handsome male celebs also involved in the bizarre cult plans..... Charges pending..."

seriously....anyone reading that sentence on its own?....would wonder exactly what the hell we are up to on this thread.....

and congrats on all these victories. :)

That news report was hysterical!! :lol: Almost choked on my dinner.
Italian sausage with sweet peppers, onion and garlic. Broccoli and a bit of rice.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

Ah, but I was so much older then, Im younger than that now.

#4394 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

I have been craving beef short ribs so may do some up on the weekend.
Any recipe ideas?

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

Ah, but I was so much older then, Im younger than that now.

#4395 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

I think I'm going to have some squash tonight with my burgers. I'll probably yank a pack of cookies out of the freezer too for a snack or something later.

I sort of feel like I should be all jumping on this whole new year, try some new diet thing but frankly I'm scared to try anything until I'm done testing all my tyramine foods to see what bothers me and what doesn't. I'm a good way through my list though and hoping that maybe by the time I head back to my neurologist in March that I'll be able to embark on something new since I'll have a lot more options open to me.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: