This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

IrishHeart Veteran

Laura--kudos to your MIL and to you for easing so gracefully into the G F life. :)

Addy

Love2

Sorry you got hit by the gluten truck (dammit!)

lots of water, proBs and rest.

If you are like me, you may experience something I call the "dopey effect" followed by the "ouchy" factor, then the "burnies" enter...and my nerves sizzle.

followed by the sleepies, weepies, droopies, itchies and of course, the fun that is the LOO in all of this HallabaLOO we live.

I find myself asking: what IS my PROBLEM and why is EVERYTHING sad and annoying? argh argh argh

what am I a freakin pirate? Cuz all I can say is argh!

Why are those flippin birds chirping so loudly?
Why can't people put the shopping carts back in the little boxed cages they have for just this freakin purpose!!!
Why do you have to text while you are driving, you %$#@! moron.
Why are people so rude?
Why am I crying at a COMMERCIAL??

It's like having the world's worst period. Hang in there, darlings.

xxoo

oh, and Turkey burgers and roasted root veggies tonight.Hubs ate the last mince meat tartet and I am ever so glad I made homemade mince this year. He LOVED it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

Adalaide Mentor

Laura--kudos to your MIL and to you for easing so gracefully into the G F life. :)

Addy

Love2

Sorry you got hit by the gluten truck (dammit!)

lots of water, proBs and rest.

If you are like me, you may experience something I call the "dopey effect" followed by the "ouchy" factor, then the "burnies" enter...and my nerves sizzle.

followed by the sleepies, weepies, droopies, itchies and of course, the fun that is the LOO in all of this HallabaLOO we live.

I find myself asking: what IS my PROBLEM and why is EVERYTHING sad and annoying? argh argh argh

what am I a freakin pirate? Cuz all I can say is argh!

Why are those flippin birds chirping so loudly?

Why can't people put the shopping carts back in the little boxed cages they have for just this freakin purpose!!!

Why do you have to text while you are driving, you %$#@! moron.

Why are people so rude?

Why am I crying at a COMMERCIAL??

It's like having the world's worst period. Hang in there, darlings.

xxoo

oh, and Turkey burgers and roasted root veggies tonight.Hubs ate the last mince meat tartet and I am ever so glad I made homemade mince this year. He LOVED it!

I need to start making my own. I always grew up eating Grammy's, which is made with venison and is absolutely to die for but I can't exactly have it now. :( It is by far and without a doubt my favorite pie in the whole world, and thankfully my husband doesn't like it. I love him, but if I caught him eating the last of it one of us probably wouldn't survive. :lol:

I'm in much better spirits today. My soup last night was awesome. (Even if it has enough Velveeta in it to choke a camel and is probably terrible for me.) Will definitely make again. And it has veggies so I know my husband won't be getting into it and stealing it from me.

IrishHeart Veteran

My mince meat pie is not the one made with  meat. 

Mine is the fruit-based sweet pie traditionally served for Christmas.

It's fruits  (and brandy.) ^_^ 

Glad you feel better. 

Adalaide Mentor

Oh... I never heard of that. My Grammy's has venison and like 3 kinds of raisins and apples and... I think oranges or orange peels or something? Lots of fruit things. I don't know exactly, I haven't helped to make it since I was probably like 10. But it's awesome.

Adalaide Mentor

We actually managed our sweet and sour pork for dinner. It was awesome. I was even nicer than usual and let my husband have white rice with his. I made fried rice for me.

I think tomorrow I won't cook. I'll have leftover soup and he can fend for himself. I'm sure he'll survive without me cooking for a day. Tuesday I believe I'm throwing a pork roast in a crock pot full of sauerkraut, which for some freakish reason my husband won't eat. I guess he isn't German enough. :lol:

LauraTX Rising Star

We went to outback today since we were out and it was too late to start cooking the stuff I got to make chicken tacos.  I'll make them tomorrow. 

Adalaide Mentor

I'm sure the celebrating has started some places. Happy New Year to everyone! I think I'm going to find a dark hole to crawl into for a pre-celebration nap. :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LauraTX Rising Star

I think I'm going to find a dark hole to crawl into for a pre-celebration nap. :lol:

A nap sounds dandy! Also don't drink and drive, people.  And watch out for the crazies who do!  

Today for dinner I am making fried chicken tenders.  I marinate them in buttermilk and sriracha, and dip them in cajun seasoned gluten-free bisquick.  Something about the sweetness of the gluten-free bisquick really goes well with spicy chicken tenders.    I rarely eat fried foods anymore but I had a hankering for these.  Later tonight for a late meal since we will be up... I am using leftover shreded chicken taco meat to make nachos.  I reduce the amount of cheese I use by spreading low fat refried beans on the chips first, then meat, then just enough cheese to add flavor.  I heat up the ingredients before hand, and after assembly I microwave them until the cheese melts.  Then add cold stuff and salsa on top! Yummmm!

Adalaide Mentor

My husband got a turkey for me at a really good after Christmas price, so I cooked that Wednesday. Tonight I'm making turkey enchiladas. It's my first time, so I'm hoping it turns out as awesome as planned.

One of my favorite local stores apparently got way more Rudi's stuffing than they could sell. Probably had something to do with the $8 price tag. They marked it all down to $2.99 and I got myself a few bags of it, I'm super thrilled. Well, as thrilled as I can be after my husband told me we can't afford to buy 50 bags and I can't live off of stuffing for a year. :lol:

love2travel Mentor

This eating low carb is a learning experience. Tonight is juniper, apple cider, etc. brined pork loin with a whole grain mustard glaze; leek gratin with Swiss and Parmesan cheeses; a myriad of raw veg with a three-onion dip. Cinnamon bun muffin for dessert.

Adalaide Mentor

You always make everything sound good.

My enchiladas turned out good. My husband is not impressed, so he's ordering pizza. I had an email to get free stuff with my next pizza order for my birthday (lol) so he's getting extra crap he doesn't need. And I guess he'll keep off my enchiladas and I'll have a good stock of freezer meals. :)

Also, my super awesome aunt happened to remember I like giraffes and had some fabric laying around her house so she just made me some hot pads and mailed them to me. I have the best family. ^_^

GottaSki Mentor

Happy New Year Dinner Peeps!

Nothing to report from my kitchen...but wanted to wish everyone a wonderful new year filled with yummy treats.

I'm up and walking once per day, removed all supplements/meds as they were not helping me improve AT ALL.  For now I'm just going to concentrate on walking every day and hope that gets everything moving in the right direction.

Good news is the brain numbness seems to be improving quite a bit this past week -- so I am hopeful :)

Now I'll re-read everything I've missed lately...I was reading regularly, but not much was sticking in my froggy brain ;)

More later...

LauraTX Rising Star

Last night I made roast chicken leg quarters with BBQ seasoning, home fries, and broccoli.  Yummm.

IrishHeart Veteran

YO SKI ! Great to see you on here (and not just in my inbox)...wait, that sounds odd :mellow:  :lol:

YO Love 2 Travel chickie

I made  cilantro lime "rice"( i.e.cauliflower.)

Chicken with Thai red curry. All PALEO.

For pete's sake...this is LOTS of work.

Waaaaaay more work than just being G F, so anyone who complains about being G F ?

Stop it. Stop it right now!  ^_^

This sh*t better pay off, is all I can say.... 

YO ADDY girl !!!

I wanna be the first to say it......have a wonderful day tomorrow. I heart you.

happy-birthday.gif birthday-dancer.gif happy-birthday-fireworks.gif  birthday-present-and-cake.gif  birthday-cake-2.gif
Adalaide Mentor

Thanks! I'm going to make my cake tonight so I can have it for breakfast. Because why not!

I suppose it's technically a double birthday since I went gluten-free two days after my birthday. I think that means I get to eat twice as much cake and the calories don't count. :D

We're waiting til Monday to make Chicken Piccata and risotto for dinner. And I think we'll slip off to the movies and I'll drag my husband to a girly movie. I'm reserving my going out day for the day the aquarium opens at it's new location. I've never been to one and I'm super excited. They were supposed to be open by now, but there were setbacks and they don't have an opening date set yet. <_< That whole patience is a virtue thing is just something slow people say to get people like me to shut up while we wait. It doesn't work.

Oh, and tonight I'm just having more enchiladas. I have no idea what my husband will eat but I'm sure he'll figure something out since he won't eat the perfectly delicious meal I made.

IrishHeart Veteran

I have a thing for aquariums. My fave thing to do...in every city we have ever traveled to.... we find the aquarium. :)

Enjoy all your festivities. Let me know how the risotto works out for you. xx

love2travel Mentor

YO SKI ! Great to see you on here (and not just in my inbox)...wait, that sounds odd :mellow:  :lol:

YO Love 2 Travel chickie

I made  cilantro lime "rice"( i.e.cauliflower.)

Chicken with Thai red curry. All PALEO.

For pete's sake...this is LOTS of work.

Waaaaaay more work than just being G F, so anyone who complains about being G F ?

Stop it. Stop it right now!  ^_^

This sh*t better pay off, is all I can say.... 

YO ADDY girl !!!

I wanna be the first to say it......have a wonderful day tomorrow. I heart you.happy-birthday.gif birthday-dancer.gif happy-birthday-fireworks.gif  birthday-present-and-cake.gif  birthday-cake-2.gif

Oh, Irish, I so agree! gluten-free is nothing compared to this ketogenic/sorta paleo stuff. Wow, this is tough. I crave sugar so badly I am gnawing on my arm. Almost, anyway. Give me 1 tablespoon of dark brown sugar. Please, oh, please. Oh, to only be gluten free like a week ago! Have you lost weight?

Addy, hope tomorrow is extra special. What could be better than cake for breakfast on your birthday? Well, besides *that*.

IrishHeart Veteran

Oh, Irish, I so agree! gluten-free is nothing compared to this ketogenic/sorta paleo stuff. Wow, this is tough. I crave sugar so badly I am gnawing on my arm. Almost, anyway. Give me 1 tablespoon of dark brown sugar. Please, oh, please. Oh, to only be gluten free like a week ago! Have you lost weight?

I gave you a report on your other thread about the diet. :) so I will not take up the space here with that again.  Take a look!  and I am not getting on a scale until Jan.13 (one month). I expect to shed tons and be bikini-ready by April.  :lol: lol I crack myself up.

I wish to add that I also have to avoid high histamine foods because of some pretty awful symptoms they spark (burning sensations in my skin,heart palpitations, low BP, bowel stuff, headaches, urticaria, insomnia, uncharacteristic anxiety, muscle and joint pain & fatigue--yeah, sounds just like a glutening, doesn't it? )

so this whole thing is a lesson in PATIENCE, creative cooking and PATIENCE.

Did I mention that anyone who complains about just "being G F" really should stop talking about that?  :lol:

Tonight's dinner with be  Chicken ZOODLE soup.

not a typo. lol

GF Lover Rising Star

Love2, Cabin Fever has you in its grips...lol.  (whispers to Irish) she is losin it eh?.   :lol:

Irish, ok I'll bite.  What is a ZOODLE?  and Whiners about a gluten free diet freak me out!  :rolleyes:

Addy, HAPPY HAPPY DAY  :D 

We had Randy's awesome tacos last night and tonight is Winter Storm Soup....beef and vegies.  

Bring on the Wind, Snow and Cold....I have 2 bags of Ghirardelli chocolates to keep me warm  :unsure: oh...sorry you two who shall have no sugar  :P  :P 

Colleen

IrishHeart Veteran

zoodles are zucchini noodles. :)

http://www.againstallgrain.com/2012/07/30/zucchini-noodles/

http://reluctantentertainer.com/2011/09/how-to-make-zucchini-noodles-with-a-peeler-recipe/

One zucchini, one mandoline, or a veggie peeler or a very cool grater like the one I got from ama zon

and you've go ZOODLES.

Adalaide Mentor

I do that stupid low histamine thing too. And low tyramine, if I like being sighted in both eyes. Thank god that a fair amount of both of those lists overlap. And that chocolate doesn't seem to set me off too badly as long as I don't have too much. I don't get nearly enough cheese in my diet though to make me happy. <_<

Every time I think about trying the paleo thing I think milk? Cheese? Chocolate? Screw that. There may come a day when I consider it worth it, but not now. For now milk is still my line in the sand.

I think tonight I'm probably going to do burgers and fries because they're effortless. I have a full container of pistachio gelato in the freezer and a fresh cake that will make a perfect dessert.

love2travel Mentor

I read your "report" last night but on my tablet so I did not feel like typing a long response in return.  A wee bit lazy, I know.  ^_^   Good idea re weighing after a month.  I too want to be bikini ready!  :lol:  Umm...that is just not going to happen. 

ETA:  I am unable to reply to each person individually today - not working. 

love2travel Mentor

Addy, I am doing keto which is different from paleo in that I am allowed dairy.  I truly would also draw the line at dairy.  But we are allowed less carbs than on paleo.  I shouldn't say "allowed" because I bristle at that word when it comes to "diets".  I hate that word, too, and instead call this a new lifestyle plan.  :D   Either way, the average American (or Canadian) eats 200-300 carbs per day - my goal is 50 so I treasure and relish every single little carb I can.  I cannot believe the lashings of jams and jellies and maple syrup and various sugars and ketchups and stuff I used in my previous life!  Astounding.  The fat should melt right off me.  Oh, yes.  It can't in our climate.  Maybe that is my issue - my adipose tissue and wobbly bits cling to me as they are FROZEN to me!  :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

.  Maybe that is my issue - my adipose tissue and wobbly bits cling to me as they are FROZEN to me!  :lol:

I always LMAO when you say "wobbly bits". I use it myself now.

Each morning, I say to myself in the mirror...I am not chubby,  exactly.....I just have wobbly bits.

lots and lots of wobbly bits

IrishHeart Veteran

Colleen

I ate so many Ghiardelli dark choc w/caramel with sea salt thingers over the past month that I cannot eat another one, so if we were snowed in together, I'd give you all of mine right now. :P if'n I had any that is. (trust me...they're gone)lol

and as far as I know,

LOVE2 .............does not not like chocolate. She prefers vanilla. Am I right, B?