This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

IrishHeart Veteran

irish - SURELY YOU CAN EAT GELATO?????  <it's a superfood, after all............  ;)  and it's my plan B in case i make a debauchery of belgian endives.

nerp.....no dairy, no grains, no legumes....I am working on feeling better and it's working. lol

Gelato can come back into the lineup in a few weeks. 

Belgian endive makes good "boats" for other foods! I love it with raspberry vinaigrette.

Made a pot roast yesterday and it became lunch today and one wonders....hey, why is this  so good? It's such a simple dish. 

I've got some chicken breasts marinating and they're going to be grilled and put on a bed of greens tonight.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

Aquadan005 Rookie

Boneless ribeye steak 1" thick med. rare, large baked potato smothered in sour cream and butter. Was absolute heaven ! !

Adalaide Mentor

This http://thedeviantcook.com/?p=669

Positively amazing. I am just a little ashamed to admit that today was my first ever shallot purchase. :ph34r: My husband eyed the sauce with suspicion and I assured him there were no onions in it. He was like it's shallots. An unholy hybrid of onions and garlic. I just smiled and made him taste it. He didn't like it but went so far as to say he could see how someone would like it. PROGRESS! ^_^

About the time I was adding the stock I saw a mouse in the pantry. The kitchen setup is pantry door -> fridge -> 2 feet of counter space -> stove. I made my husband get me a stool immediately and finished cooking from my perch. So much for that inner farmer girl. :lol:

notme Experienced

This http://thedeviantcook.com/?p=669

Positively amazing. I am just a little ashamed to admit that today was my first ever shallot purchase. :ph34r: My husband eyed the sauce with suspicion and I assured him there were no onions in it. He was like it's shallots. An unholy hybrid of onions and garlic. I just smiled and made him taste it. He didn't like it but went so far as to say he could see how someone would like it. PROGRESS! ^_^

About the time I was adding the stock I saw a mouse in the pantry. The kitchen setup is pantry door -> fridge -> 2 feet of counter space -> stove. I made my husband get me a stool immediately and finished cooking from my perch. So much for that inner farmer girl. :lol:

that looks insanely delicious :)  i usually "velvet" my chicken - milk, some sort of acid, water, maybe salt or alcohol sometimes.  always turns out good.  don't do it for too long, or it turns wierd.  shame on you, addy, shallots are a Pantry Staple, lolz, but with the husband aversion i guess you are forgiven loolz :D

dead mice are good mice - all you animal bleeding hearts can kiss my mouse killing butt lololz ;):ph34r:

i do not eat mice,.  <disclaimer  <_<

Adalaide Mentor

Hey, I'm no bleeding heart. I'd totally kill it if I could. Instead I stood in the middle of the kitchen in tears scared completely witless begging my husband to bring me a stool before the mouse came out and got near me. Once I was safe I said we should lock the cat in the pantry with the mouse, he didn't like my idea. I was also the only pro-poison in the trap advocate. The only good mouse, is a dead mouse. As long as I don't have to deal with it. :P It's a miracle I didn't drink the half bottle of wine in my fridge after the whole fiasco. It was very tempting, and I don't drink!

IrishHeart Veteran

lmao....oh for pete's sake, you big baby....you pick it up and put it outside. FACE OUT, use both hands so there's no biting. lol

That little thing is more scared of you than you are of it. I made the hubs try to corral one little field mouse with me for hours one night so I could pick him up and put him outside. That little bugger outwitted us --and two cats--for so long, ducking under all sorts of furniture...it was comical

....until finally he gave up and shot it.I was so mad at him. He said "what? It's time for bed. I tried it your way...I gave it my best shot." 

Arlene, you don't have to kill everything in your path.......  :lol: Is B still alive BTW...?

Shallots, wine, saffron...holy cow, Adds, your repertoire is expanding every week! lol

Looking like some bison meatloaf today and possibly sweet potato fries and roasted brussel sprouts

Adalaide Mentor

lmao....oh for pete's sake, you big baby....you pick it up and put it outside. FACE OUT, use both hands so there's no biting. lol

That little thing is more scared of you than you are of it. I made the hubs try to corral one little field mouse with me for hours one night so I could pick him up and put him outside. That little bugger outwitted us --and two cats--for so long, ducking under all sorts of furniture...it was comical

....until finally he gave up and shot it.I was so mad at him. He said "what? It's time for bed. I tried it your way...I gave it my best shot."

:lol:

That mouse did not magically appear in the house. It got here from coming from the outside, and could get in again if we just put it out. It needs to get dead. Some types of animals do need to be killed every time.

I'm so surprised, learning all these new things is actually sort of... fun. I didn't expect it to be and I haven't had any epic failures yet. I know though that there will eventually be one. Tonight we're back to sweet & sour again. Apparently I'm a gluten for punishment and just can't get enough of the insane amount of work that that is.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

. Apparently I'm a gluten for punishment and just can't get enough of the insane amount of work that that is.

I think it is hilarious that this site changed "glutton" to gluten....unless you did that on PORPOISE? < get it?  :)

Adalaide Mentor

I think it is hilarious that this site changed "glutton" to gluten....unless you did that on PORPOISE? < get it?   :)

Nope. It was probably me too, I was just tired and needed a nap! Which I got and am feeling much more like a human now. ^_^ It can only improve more with some gelato later.

IrishHeart Veteran

Nope. It was probably me too, I was just tired and needed a nap! Which I got and am feeling much more like a human now. ^_^ It can only improve more with some gelato later.

mmmm gelato......sure. rub it in, go ahead. I hope the mouse ate it. :lol:

LauraTX Rising Star

So my grocery store I go to has a policy that if you find an expired item on the shelf, you get a non-expired one free.  Went last week and half the Pillsbury gluten-free pizza doughs were dated Nov 2013.  I got my free one and I always tell them, "There were more expired ones so you should probably send someone to go check all of them."  Today, run in there for a couple things to hold me over, out of curiosity check them again, all the expired ones are still there, got another free one.  Told them the same thing, again. Those things are almost $5 each, so when I go this weekend I am going to check again, because if they are THAT lazy then I am going to make use of their policy.  I also sometimes find packages of pre-cut vegetables out of date and get one free.   I always check dates on perishable items since there are two of us it takes us longer to consume things.  Yay free stuff, although I would rather not find bad things on shelves in the first place! :o

So I am making pizza tonight :)  Last night I made chicken alfredo with the ancient harvest corn/quinoa noodles.  I like those but I like tinkyada better so I will be going back to that.  

IrishHeart Veteran

I found an amazing natural foods store that has everything a celiac/GeeFreer could possibly want--just 20 minutes away.

Discovered it by accident (I was in search of a yeast free bread for a friend and took a drive)

Well, it was like finding the motherlode of all things G F. Now as you know, I am doing the paleo thing for a few months to see if it helps with knocking down inflammation as so many have testified, so imagine me walking down the aisles, drooling and pointing at things like a little kid, going "OOH OOH look! oh, I want that! I want that! " and then planting my face up against the freezer doors and gazing at the goodies galore. They even have the coconut milk creamer I have been unable to find in regular grocery stores and some excellent probiotics I have been purchasing over the internet for a lot more $...AND everything is cheaper than the Whole paycheck which is nearly an hour away. So, it's good to know that stuff is there.  :) 

I love discovering new things about my new home and only you guys would understand why a large G F selection is as exciting as finding

the aquarium, the museum, the best beach, all the hidden treasures that make great photographs,etc.

I'll be making pork carnitas today and some cauliflower tortillas to go with.

ETA: Oops. looks as if this will be tomorrow's dinner,  since it takes some work and I've got PT and MT on Thursdays..(hello? It's Thursday, dopey) ....so instead, we'll be having seafood of some sort that I will pick up on the way home.

Edited by IrishHeart
Adalaide Mentor

I personally love Ancient Harvest pasta, but it isn't for everyone. Because of price I mostly just buy brown rice pasta that holds up as well as Tink but I get 10 pound boxes for about $15. I just buy in bulk from a local store and get unopened boxes, and I get a 10% discount for buying whole boxes instead of out of the bin anyway. I always feel super awesome after I get a good deal. B)

Glad you found something a little closer to home for shopping. When you said you had a Whole Foods there, I assumed you meant there. After living in BFE for so long I guess an hour drive is there for you, for me I'd be living in throw me off a cliff or tie me to a stake and feed me to dragons hell. :lol:

My plan was to go shopping today, but that plan just isn't going to work out so instead we're just having some chicken sausages for dinner. I'll find something vegetable-ish to have with it and maybe I'll find the ambition to make some fresh bread. Mostly out of a desire to see if I can make half into a loaf of french bread and half into little baby "loaves" that will function as sausage buns. I do so love fried sausage in a bun with fried onions. :wub:

Adalaide Mentor

I found this recipe this evening. I can't make it right away, but I'm rather excited to try it sometime this winter. It sounds really different and interesting and I'm always up for something new. http://www.yahoo.com/food/the-bread-that-will-change-your-whole-world-73342291256.html

LauraTX Rising Star

Today I made a chicken stir fry with carrots, snow peas, and brown rice in a spicy sriracha sauce.

notme Experienced

KING crab legs on sale and manager's special?  yes, please and thank you :)

baby kale salad

some sort of starch (i'm lazy, how about bread lolz with butter)

yes, kill everything!  i am about to start a war on squirrels.  hahaha there's one that sits on a curve in our downspout to the gutter and it will get a nut or something and eat it right there,.  hubs has already repainted it and repaired the siding because it will poop and pee there, too.  couldn't shoot it.  couldn't trap it.........  so we greased the down spout.  O.  M.  GOSH it was hilarious the damb thing would go running up all squirrelly and make one of his tricky squirrel moves, and *zoot!*  slide off at high speed.  it finally quit going up there lololz i should have videoed it :D

LauraTX Rising Star

i am about to start a war on squirrels.  hahaha there's one that sits on a curve in our downspout to the gutter and it will get a nut or something and eat it right there,.  hubs has already repainted it and repaired the siding because it will poop and pee there, too.  couldn't shoot it.  couldn't trap it.........  so we greased the down spout.  O.  M.  GOSH it was hilarious the damb thing would go running up all squirrelly and make one of his tricky squirrel moves, and *zoot!*  slide off at high speed.  it finally quit going up there lololz i should have videoed it :D

I would have love to see that!  

Tonight I am making cheeseburgers with baked beans.  Keeping it simple tonight.  Going to to some experiments this weekend and next week!  Having my gallbladder removed on the 3rd, so I am making a lot of double recipes of stuff to freeze,  and a couple freezer to crockpot meals that my hubby can do and I can do when not feeling well.

GF Lover Rising Star

KING crab legs on sale and manager's special?  yes, please and thank you :)

baby kale salad

some sort of starch (i'm lazy, how about bread lolz with butter)

yes, kill everything!  i am about to start a war on squirrels.  hahaha there's one that sits on a curve in our downspout to the gutter and it will get a nut or something and eat it right there,.  hubs has already repainted it and repaired the siding because it will poop and pee there, too.  couldn't shoot it.  couldn't trap it.........  so we greased the down spout.  O.  M.  GOSH it was hilarious the damb thing would go running up all squirrelly and make one of his tricky squirrel moves, and *zoot!*  slide off at high speed.  it finally quit going up there lololz i should have videoed it :D

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: stupid squirrel tricks....that could have won on Funnies Home Videos.

I'm hoping something will jump from the fridge to the microwave and then land in my lap. -_-

Colleen

notme Experienced

it was pretty dang funny - free entertainment, too!!!  :D  we are easily amused..... ^_^ and squirrels are jerks  :lol:

Adalaide Mentor

Mice are jerks too! Oddly enough the whole reason we even have a mouse is because of my SIL's stupid cat. It brings gift mice home... ALIVE!!! The mouse either moved into our downstairs bathroom or it's a new one and we had three out of six traps baitless this morning and no mouse. <_< I'm done screwing around. I'm tying cereal to traps and if it isn't dead by tomorrow I'm going to poison the crap out of it.

I think a lot of people woulda paid good money to see that squirrel take a few tumbles. Evil little bugger got what was coming to him. I don't like rodents.

Tonight we're having burgers, ancho chili potato wedges and some fresh veggies and dip. I don't have a whole lot of spunk for cooking today, apparently I don't sleep well when I share the house with unwelcome furry visitors.

GF Lover Rising Star

Having squirrel tonight (cough cough) I mean chicken fettuccine alfredo.   :D

Colleen

notme Experienced

Having squirrel tonight (cough cough) I mean chicken fettuccine alfredo.   :D

Colleen

lolz - with a side of Crafty Mouse, a la Poisonne ;)

hubs is talking about modifying a clay pigeon thrower to remote trip.  now, THAT would be something...............

tell y'all what.  i am eating leftovers for snacky/lunch.  i am almost humming.  belgian endives with goat cheese&herbs, prosciutto, and diced red peppers drizzled with balsamic vinegarette dressing (brianna's <very addicted to brianna's)   and some rudi's toast with crab and garlic butter. 

people should stop apologizing when i tell them i have celiac-ac-ac-ac-ac.  you're sorry>?  i'm not.  i think i'll eat my (hmmmm hm hmmm hmhhmhmhmmm hmmmmmmm:) )  Delicious THIS.  you can keep that other crap.  and, no, you can't have any of mine.   it's *special*   (hmmms galore;)  )

GF Lover Rising Star

hubs is talking about modifying a clay pigeon thrower to remote trip.  now, THAT would be something...............

OMG.  Hubs decided I needed to know how to shoot the shot gun this summer.  Took me too this great place down the road.  They had those remote ones.  You tapped it with your foot and they flew out of these little buildings in front of you.  Needless to say the first shot threw me on my Assets, I made it through 5 shots in total.  I thought my shoulder would fall off my body  :lol: Hubs decided that as long at I know how to load it and pull the trigger I was good to go  :D

Colleen

Adalaide Mentor

Brianna's is so amazingly delicious! It is very nearly the only stuff I'll buy. Once in a while (like maybe one or two times a year) I'll get a jar of something in the produce section but other than that I never stray. I should have been at your house for lunch, I just had grilled cheese and banana cream pie yogurt. Which was still pretty darn good. ^_^

When I get the "omg that's awful! What do you eat?!" I just smile and say "whatever I want!" Because it is totally true. Which reminds me... I need donuts again. B)

LauraTX Rising Star

Had genghis grill today for lunch, will make a light dinner later tonight, probably banana pancakes.  Just make up a pancake mix of your choice and add a well-mashed (ovverripe is best) banana.  If it is too thick add a little milk to get back to the consistency needed.  Nomnomnom!