This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

GFreeMO Proficient

Hamburgers with red and green pepper and sweet onion mixed in with the meat before cooking. Rice, Green beans

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

Marilyn R Community Regular

Have you ever tried a mortar and pestle? I use it often for salad dressing and it works beautifully. (Start with raw garlic and salt, and add herbs, then liquids and mustard.)

Are you suggesting a mortar and pestle because I can't be trusted with a stick blender? :P LOL

I do have a m&p, a good yard sale find for $3. Hope to see your salad dressing recipes posted soon.

So, last night we had barbequed skinless chicken thighs that had marinated all day in homemade memphis style BBQ sauce, roasted sweet potatoes amd tossed romaine salad with sliced strawberries and balsalmic viniagrette. That was the bomb.

Tonight we're having marinated grilled orange/pepper sirloin steak loins (I've never heard of this cut before, but they were on sale) with home fries and artichokes.

WinterSong Community Regular

My boyfriend and I just finished eating - steak with steamed broccoli and bell peppers. First time making steak and it was great! My boyfriend loved it. He's learning about my diet so when he found out that steak is naturally gluten free he was a very happy camper :)

sb2178 Enthusiast

Are you suggesting a mortar and pestle because I can't be trusted with a stick blender? :P LOL

I do have a m&p, a good yard sale find for $3. Hope to see your salad dressing recipes posted soon.

LOL. No, well... maybe? But, wait, should we trust you with the m&p? The garlic paste is an amazing base for dressings though. I don't have oen solid recipe, as they vary quite a lot depending on what I feel like and what I'm dressing, but this would be the base.

1 clove garlic

1/8 t salt

a few grinds black pepper

Pound in the mortar and peste until a paste.

2-3 sprigs fresh herbs, or 1/2 t dried herbs

Pound into the garlic.

1/2 t dijon mustard

2 t white wine vinegar (could use red, cider, rice, etc)

1 t balsamic vinegar (optional feel free to sub lemon juice)

2 T olive oil

Optional: pinch or two of parmesan or pecorino romano

Mix into the garlic herb blend. (How you do so would depend on the size and type of m&p, but you can figure it out. It usually emulsifies quite easily.)

sb2178 Enthusiast

About a quart of a potage I'm calling:

Creamed Garden Greens and Red Potato

consisting of one small red potato with freshly picked baby collards, mustard spinach, red mustard, and spinach in a sauce made of peanut oil, corn flour, water, soy milk, pecorino romano, garlic, and garlic chives (and s&p)

and a few

Lentil Herb Patties

consisting of leftover overcooked pilaf (quinoa, brown rice, yellow lentils, green lentils, and brown lentils) shaped into falafels and pan-fried in olive oil.

followed by

Homemade Chocolate Granola Bar

Jestgar Rising Star

Surprise food (potluck) :ph34r: . Dinner may consist of an entire pan of cookie/brownies. :D

mushroom Proficient

Chicken something - have no idea. Eating down the freezer so whatever idea I come up with when the chicken has finished thawing (and depending what else I find in the refrigerator :ph34r: )

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

navigator Apprentice

Just back from our local farmers market where I bought the following gluten free organic products

Lamb and rosemary sausages

Lamb sausages

Beef sausages

Lorne sausages

venison burgers

lamb burgers

beef burgers

black pudding

The sausages and burgers contain no 'fillers' Pure organic meat and herbs. Soo tasty and filling!!

love2travel Mentor

Just back from our local farmers market where I bought the following gluten free organic products

Lamb and rosemary sausages

Lamb sausages

Beef sausages

Lorne sausages

venison burgers

lamb burgers

beef burgers

black pudding

The sausages and burgers contain no 'fillers' Pure organic meat and herbs. Soo tasty and filling!!

Oh, what a treat!! They sound wonderful. What are Lorne sausages??

Our sausage guy is from Cumberland originally - he makes wonderful gluten-free sausages. Our favourites are lamb with rosemary and Cumberland. His pork with sage is also yummy. He is considering doing pancetta! That would be awesome. This guy lives three hours away from here but when we are in the city he meets us there (he drives half an hour) with our big orders. Our favourite thing with Cumberlands is Bangers and Mash. LOVE it! They are so tasty they take us back to Cumberland in one second flat. :D

navigator Apprentice

I also love Cumberland sausages! I think that Lorne sausages are peculiar to Scotland. They are also known as slice sausage and are the square sausage you may have had if you had cooked breakfasts in hotels when you were in Scotland.

I had one of the lamb burgers for my lunch and it was so flavoursome!! Mmmm

love2travel Mentor

I also love Cumberland sausages! I think that Lorne sausages are peculiar to Scotland. They are also known as slice sausage and are the square sausage you may have had if you had cooked breakfasts in hotels when you were in Scotland.

I had one of the lamb burgers for my lunch and it was so flavoursome!! Mmmm

Oh, yes! I know what you mean. I did not realize that is what they are called. Learned something new today!!

The lamb burger sounds incredible. Did you happen to have a gluten-free bun, too, or did you have it another way? Lamb....mmmmmmmmmm....

love2travel Mentor

The Jambalaya is incredible - we are having it again tonight with homemade gluten-free focaccia bread and grilled asparagus. Untraditional accompaniments, I know! :lol:

At the moment it is only +2 degrees. It froze last night, unfortunately, so am baking today to warm up the house (don't want to turn the furnace on in June).

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I have a whole chicken in my slow cooker with sweet potatoes, carrots, onions and garlic cloves. Seasoned it with rotisserie seasoning. Will probably pull something green (spinach, green beans or peas) out of the freezer to steam when the chicken is ready. We are trying to eat down our freezer and cabinets for an upcoming move and our fridge is getting pretty bare.

Marilyn R Community Regular

LOL. No, well... maybe? But, wait, should we trust you with the m&p? The garlic paste is an amazing base for dressings though. I don't have oen solid recipe, as they vary quite a lot depending on what I feel like and what I'm dressing, but this would be the base.

1 clove garlic

1/8 t salt

a few grinds black pepper

Pound in the mortar and peste until a paste.

2-3 sprigs fresh herbs, or 1/2 t dried herbs

Pound into the garlic.

1/2 t dijon mustard

2 t white wine vinegar (could use red, cider, rice, etc)

1 t balsamic vinegar (optional feel free to sub lemon juice)

2 T olive oil

Optional: pinch or two of parmesan or pecorino romano

Mix into the garlic herb blend. (How you do so would depend on the size and type of m&p, but you can figure it out. It usually emulsifies quite easily.)

I thought that was worth posting again. Thank you for the nice recipe! :D

Anazoth Newbie

Roasted garlic potatoes, fish fingers and peas.

Nothing exotic but i was in the mood for it lol.

Judy3 Contributor

I've been making my own salad dressings and this one is so simple I had to share.

Honey Mustard Dressing

In a small glass bowl

a squeeze of honey (approx 2 tsp?)

a squeeze of dijon mustard (approx 2 tsp)

a glug of olive oil (approx 2 tbsp)

Mix with a small wire whisk a few seconds until it thickens... Enjoy!!

Sorry for the squeeze and glug measurements but I've been experimenting with salad dressings and haven't measured just eyeball it LOL

sa1937 Community Regular

Tonight I made pizza using Jules Shepard's recipe in her newest cookbook, Free For All Cooking. The recipe is also on her blog: http://blog.julesglu.../2011/02/pizza/ Cute video to watch the process, too.

I was very pleased with the results. In her cookbook she suggests saut

love2travel Mentor

Tonight I made pizza using Jules Shepard's recipe in her newest cookbook, Free For All Cooking. The recipe is also on her blog: http://blog.julesglu.../2011/02/pizza/ Cute video to watch the process, too.

I was very pleased with the results. In her cookbook she suggests saut

Jestgar Rising Star

Think I'll do beet cole slaw. And red wine.

mushroom Proficient

In U.S., what is difference between corn starch and corn flour? Is corn flour like cornmeal or something in between, or masa harina?? The two terms (starch and flour) are used interchangeably here because we don't have a corn culture.

sa1937 Community Regular

Good to know. If I remember correctly you've made Annalise's pizza, too. If so, how do they compare?

I like Annalise's recipe but think I prefer Jules'. More like a "normal" pizza crust that we were used to eating prior to going gluten-free. In other words, "white flour". :P She is quite generous sharing a lot of recipes on her blog. And I ordered more of her flour...(sigh)

Jestgar Rising Star

In U.S., what is difference between corn starch and corn flour? Is corn flour like cornmeal or something in between, or masa harina?? The two terms (starch and flour) are used interchangeably here because we don't have a corn culture.

http://www.food.com/library/corn-flour-638

sa1937 Community Regular

I've not yet bought masa harina (but will try it). The corn flour I have is BRM. And it is a fine flour, not corn starch. Definitely not cornmeal, which is coarse.

mushroom Proficient

Thanks, Jess and Sylvia, for the corn flour information. Definitely something for me to avoid, being whole kernel :unsure: Mebbe that explains the failure of certain recipes in the past :rolleyes:

sa1937 Community Regular

Thanks, Jess and Sylvia, for the corn flour information. Definitely something for me to avoid, being whole kernel :unsure: Mebbe that explains the failure of certain recipes in the past :rolleyes:

Actually in Free For All Cooking she lists a lot of substitutions for her all-purpose flour. Other flour could definitely be substituted for corn flour. Her basic flour blend there doesn't resemble the "Nearly Normal Flour" mix, which I think is what she came up with when she started selling her 5-lb bags of flour...it's based on the flour mix she used in her older cookbook Nearly Normal Cooking.

I received an Amazon gift card for Christmas and added this cookbook to my order at the last minute to get free shipping.

A lot of the recipes can be made gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free, egg-free and vegetarian (not necessarily vegan). And she gives a lot of substitutes for those things, too.