This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Adalaide Mentor

So glad it's working for you! It's nice to see you vertical again. :D

Our pork loin got pushed back a night to last night, so we're having do-overs of that tonight. I've got a ton of rainbow carrots in the freezer still so I'll probably have those with it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

GottaSki Mentor

Our pork loin got pushed back a night to last night, so we're having do-overs of that tonight. I've got a ton of rainbow carrots in the freezer still so I'll probably have those with it.

jealous of the rainbow of carrots...too soon to assume i'll be gardening...but it doesn't stop me from planning

oh hey...we need to bump the garden thread -- you know me with my stoopid city kid questions  :rolleyes:

LauraTX Rising Star

Nachos today!  I like to make mine with just a bare sprinkle of cheese... I use non fat refried beans on the chip, then the meat, sprinkle of cheese just enough to put the taste there.  Then tons of salsa. Yum.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Zippity Do Da...Zippity eh!!!

So the recent med changes have kept me mostly vertical for well over a week and I haven't had any food reactions (even with safe foods) only minor heat related hiccups....so today I made a sauce the same color as Velveeta with an entire butternut squash along with some cream cheese (first cheese since the failed "i want a grilled cheese" adventure).

Now I'll never know if it tastes as good as it does to me for anyone else because of my limited options....but it tasted fantastic...ended up eating a huge amount of blanched broccoli while generously dipping with my butternut cream cheese...yum. yum.  Did I say yum?  and i still have three servings in the freeze - happy camper here.

So I am a bit too full to eat dinner with the men...glass of Zin for me!

Cheers Dinner Peeps  :wub:

Cream cheese is good. :)

carrots candied in honey or brown sugar and butter are good.

IrishHeart Veteran

Finally caught up on all the dinner chat messages...if I missed anyone, forgive me, as I am a bit tired (from having too much fun)

Karen...have a blast skiing!!  

Lisa...glad you are continuing to feel better and better each day, dear girl. You have had a long haul. 

Laura...I wonder if we all have our own "layering method" for nachos? lol. :D I go chips, then meat (beef or chicken) then refried (or black beans), then jalapenos, onions, olives, salsa, and finally the cheese and I like sour cream on the side. 

w8tin...that fish soups looks good.

I am Addy's first customer (I think). I use a hot pack buckwheat bag all the time on my neck, my legs, my back, my "whatever hurts today "and when she told me she was going to be making these things, I ordered some. (my old one was made by a lady in NY and it's getting tired) so, I am sitting here with an "addy original" on my neck right now. It's working great, sweets ! ;) 

As you know, we had company this past week and so we ate (and drank ) up a storm.

Wed. was lasagne and antipasta salad with a sangiovese blend, sea salt caramel gelato and chocolate cookies with cappucino. 

Thurs. was sea bass with mango salsa (sort of like Bonefish's but better), jasmine/coconut rice, roasted asparagus, pinot grigio, creme brulee.

Friday was filet mignon, sauteed baby potatoes in white truffle oil and butter, sugar snap peas,  cabernet savignon, key lime pie tartlets.

Saturday was "encores" because they left and I was too pooped to cook.  :lol:

I've got a corned beef and cabbage going right now because we like to eat it for a few days and it requires minimal work.

Thought sure all that wine & such would bite me on the behind (histamine wise) but I'm ok.  Just tired from going all over the place and showing them the sites, etc and watching sunrises every day. Good times. 

GottaSki Mentor

Thanks IHeart :)

There is a lovely rich vanilla cake about to be decorated for St. Patty's Day on my kitchen counter....but sadly I completely forgot to purchase a brisket to get it bathing in brine so my guys will get a cake...but will have to take a raincheck on their corned beef this year -- going to run out to pick one up soon so that I can at least get it soaking today.

Son taking us to movies this evening so dinner will be simple as everyone fills up on popcorn - baked chicken, potato/sweet potato and broccoli (with butternut cream cheese for me).

shadowicewolf Proficient

Thanks IHeart :)

There is a lovely rich vanilla cake about to be decorated for St. Patty's Day on my kitchen counter....but sadly I completely forgot to purchase a brisket to get it bathing in brine so my guys will get a cake...but will have to take a raincheck on their corned beef this year -- going to run out to pick one up soon so that I can at least get it soaking today.

Son taking us to movies this evening so dinner will be simple as everyone fills up on popcorn - baked chicken, potato/sweet potato and broccoli (with butternut cream cheese for me).

Decorated with what?

I'm making a cheese pizza.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Decorated with what?

I'm making a cheese pizza.

two shades of green sprinkles and bright green polka dots :)

GottaSki Mentor

598973_10151803686053574_2042111636_n.jp

This was last year's model....not that ambitious yet so I just used the sprinkles along with one little shamrock and polka dots -- not picture worthy this year...but soon, very soon : )

Happy St. Patty's Week ;)

BlessedMommy Rising Star

We had a pretty late lunch today for my kid's birthday party. We had haystacks (build your own plate taco salad) with corn & bean chips, olives, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, cooked jasmine rice, daiya cheese, and a big pot of pinto beans.

For a "cake" I put candles in a watermelon. I try to avoid sugar as much as I can and my MIL is battling cancer, so our holiday and birthday desserts haven't been as conventional lately. I could make a gluten-free date sweetened cake, but I tend to get a little lazy and fresh fruit seems easier.

LauraTX Rising Star

Addy you and I are having surgery the same day.  I'm scheduled the 27th to get my gallbladder out if I can stay away from germs this time.  It is acting up this week, too... I think it knows I am coming for it!  

BlessedMommy, I LOVE watermelon!  My husband gets sick of it by the end of the summer because I will buy the smallest one I can but it still fills up the fridge and feeds us two for a week, sometimes I will give some to neighbors. I would be delighted with a watermelon cake!

Tonight I kind of winged it and made curry rice with peas and chicken.  Was really good.  :)

LauraTX Rising Star

Oh, and I forgot to add.  As we were eating our curry my husband said "There is a peice of corn in this," and pulled it out to show me.  The only possible way it could have gotten in there is if it was hidden in the bag of frozen peas.  In a great showy excited tone I told him, "THIS is why I don't eat things made on shared equipment with gluten!!!! Crap gets in there!!!"  and kind of scared him.  But then I thought, there are people who can't have corn.  What if poor w8infordave had torn open this bag of frozen peas, not seen the misfit corn kernel and ingested it!!!  There are corn specs all over those peas.  I have to make myself stop there, my mind will keep going.

Because I know you all will ask, it was HEB store brand, giant bag of frozen peas.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Wow, that is pretty crazy to find a corn kernel in the peas!

GottaSki Mentor

We had a pretty late lunch today for my kid's birthday party. We had haystacks (build your own plate taco salad) with corn & bean chips, olives, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, cooked jasmine rice, daiya cheese, and a big pot of pinto beans.

For a "cake" I put candles in a watermelon. I try to avoid sugar as much as I can and my MIL is battling cancer, so our holiday and birthday desserts haven't been as conventional lately. I could make a gluten-free date sweetened cake, but I tend to get a little lazy and fresh fruit seems easier.

For me....I've been limiting my sugar to fruit for nearly two years (mostly because things that use sugar have many other ingredients I cannot eat) ... oh I do use agave with coconut milk to make chocolate mousse for myself which is yummy.

My husband has no dietary restrictions, but lives gluten-free in our home to make things safe and simple for me and our children.  I enjoy baking and decorating many gluten-free desserts, but do use sugar in my baking and look forward to a day that I'll be able to have yummy treats on occasion with my family and friends!  

Watermelon "cake" is awesome...I've went to a child's bday that had all fruit and veggie snacks on the table and they all seemed to be having a blast....nice to see little ones learning to eat while foods :)

shadowicewolf Proficient

For me....the only sugar have used in nearly two years is fruit ... oh and I do use agave with coconut milk to make chocolate mousse for myself.  My husband has no dietary restrictions, but has lived gluten-free to make things safe and simple for me and our children.  I enjoy baking and decorating many gluten-free desserts, but do use sugar in my baking and look forward to a day that I'll be able to have yummy treats on occasion with my family and friends!  

Watermelon "cake" is awesome...I've went to a child's bday that had all fruit and veggie snacks on the table and they all seemed to be having a blast....nice to see little ones learning to eat while foods :)

What about honey?

GottaSki Mentor

thought I'd add this cute idea I saw on FB for kid parties -- heck even adults would find it fun:

1896994_10151924005151160_1977596053_n.j

GottaSki Mentor

What about honey?

Honey is actually better for you than Agave...unfortunately I just don't like the flavor -- had to overcome my extreme lifelong dislike of all things coconut and wasn't able to do it with honey :P

although I do use it to bake some things and I used to mix it with jam for my kids lunches :)

Adalaide Mentor

Addy you and I are having surgery the same day.  I'm scheduled the 27th to get my gallbladder out if I can stay away from germs this time.  It is acting up this week, too... I think it knows I am coming for it!  

BlessedMommy, I LOVE watermelon!  My husband gets sick of it by the end of the summer because I will buy the smallest one I can but it still fills up the fridge and feeds us two for a week, sometimes I will give some to neighbors. I would be delighted with a watermelon cake!

Tonight I kind of winged it and made curry rice with peas and chicken.  Was really good.   :)

We can be buddies while we recover! Of course, I'll be drugged senseless for a few days and likely not getting out of bed to be at my computer right away. (no lappy :() When I had my gallbladder out it was a Friday, I came home Saturday and baked a pie on Sunday. Of course, it was Christmas and damn it I was having my pie!!! And my husband did all the hard work. It's amazing what some good drugs can do for you and how you feel. :lol:

I just had a burger last night and some veggies. He didn't feel great and wasn't up to dinner so it was something quick I could eat. Tonight I'm thinking baked chicken, carrot soup and maybe something else but I'm not sure what.

GottaSki Mentor

Two surgeries in our little family in one day -- will keep you both in thoughts and prayers for skilled surgeon's hands along with SPEEDY recoveries :)

notme Experienced

thought I'd add this cute idea I saw on FB for kid parties -- heck even adults would find it fun:

that is adoooorable!!  :)

bacon potato bisque last night, shrimp/anduille (sp) & chicken gumbo saturday night, friday was peruvian chicken w/baked french fries & spinach salad, thursday i made a stuffed meatloaf (rolled with ham & provolone) purple potatoes & yellow squash  :) 

good luck with y'all's surgeries - you should get shirts! 

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Yum! Oven roasted asparagus with egg salad sandwiches for lunch for the kids and I. I really, really hope that enough people buy the Canyon Bakehouse bread at my local store to keep it around. 

BlessedMommy Rising Star

For me....I've been limiting my sugar to fruit for nearly two years (mostly because things that use sugar have many other ingredients I cannot eat) ... oh I do use agave with coconut milk to make chocolate mousse for myself which is yummy.

My husband has no dietary restrictions, but lives gluten-free in our home to make things safe and simple for me and our children.  I enjoy baking and decorating many gluten-free desserts, but do use sugar in my baking and look forward to a day that I'll be able to have yummy treats on occasion with my family and friends!  

Yeah, my kids think that it's fine. On the last kids birthday before this, I made a pan of fruit up (cut up pineapple, blueberries, watermelon, etc.), stuck candles in the fruit and put a truck and train in the middle and my kids were perfectly happy. For them, stuff like fresh blueberries, raspberries, watermelon at this time of year is a treat.

The other day at homeschool coop I brought fresh berries (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries) and clementine oranges for a snack and the kids thought that it was great! 

shadowicewolf Proficient

Honey is actually better for you than Agave...unfortunately I just don't like the flavor -- had to overcome my extreme lifelong dislike of all things coconut and wasn't able to do it with honey :P

although I do use it to bake some things and I used to mix it with jam for my kids lunches :)

It is good with peanut butter as well.

Cute!

GottaSki Mentor

It is good with peanut butter as well.

Cute!

Yes it is....I have one son who didn't like pb and honey...so I tried huckleberry honey one time and he loved it....in general he stuck with plain pb with no j for most of his life.

Oh...I have added honey to homemade almond butter...I did like that :)

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I love those fruit platters!