9532 replies to this topic

#4666 alex11602

alex11602

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Tonight I made Schar penne with double meat sauce (sweet Italian chicken sausage and ground beef), it must have been tasty since the only sound out of my girls was when the 3 year old couldn't pick up the penne with her fork and was fussing a bit.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#4667 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Adventurous me tonight. Sometimes you have to be willing to fail in the kitchen if you want something awesome. I was making pork chops and thought to myself, how can I change that cheesebread recipe to go with it. I wouldn't call what came out an utter failure... but I wouldn't recommend making them without cheese, period. I tried very, very finely diced apples instead and some sage and a little maple syrup. They are really good, but didn't get puffy.

I know I'm playing with fire with the whole cheese thing, but tomorrow I'm making them with mozz and garlic to go with pasta. I finally made Mario's bolognese sauce. It is so perfect. My husband won't touch it. <_< The whole time it was cooking I kept asking myself how it could possibly have flavor. Somehow magically it all comes together into this symphony of pure rich delight. I did use lamb instead of veal, stupid store was out of veal. I even stayed out of the chardonnay! I know there is some rule I heard somewhere about don't cook with what you won't drink, but dear God who can stand that stuff? The flavor is fine, its the way it sucks the moisture out of your face leaving you gasping for water that kills me. :lol:

Was that the recipe from The Chew? I have gotten a few good recipes from them. I printed that one but haven't tried it yet.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4668 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

IH copied it, but I'll just link it because I'm lazy. http://www.ourbestbi...ao-de-queijo-2/

I really like it a whole lot. I highly recommend it. They puff up really nicely! I don't know if the recipe says so, but the batter is pure liquid. Don't be alarmed.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4669 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

Slept thru dinner last night -- folks had heat on at their house yesterday -- allergic reaction ensued followed by Benedryl -- nightie night at 5pm.

Tonight we will have:

Steak
Creamy Garlic Enchiladas - I'll enjoy vicariously
Chopped Asparagus Sesame Salad - sans dressing for me

Blueberry "Ice Cream" for dessert

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4670 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

IH copied it, but I'll just link it because I'm lazy. http://www.ourbestbi...ao-de-queijo-2/

I really like it a whole lot. I highly recommend it. They puff up really nicely! I don't know if the recipe says so, but the batter is pure liquid. Don't be alarmed.

Sorry. I meant Mario's sauce?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4671 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

Sorry. I meant Mario's sauce?

I'm so easily confused! It was http://www.yummly.co...rk_2?servings=8 which was a direct result of http://www.celiac.co...auce-from-hell/ and let me just get this right out there. My husband hates it. Fine. Whatever. Clearly he was born with defective taste buds.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4672 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

YUCK. Now I know what it is like to be glutened. The first (obvious) gluten reaction in my life. Another accidental glutening happened awhile back but it was very, very mild. Just a touch ill. This? Um...lets say now I can relate. :( I've been wondering what would happen if I ingested gluten and BANG. It happened. Two days ago. I opened a pudding (yes, I know, I usually make my own) and started eating it. Fifteen minutes later instant migraine. Aching jaw. Vomiting. D. Bloating. Plugged sinuses. Sneezing. Immediately I knew something must be up so I re-checked the label. Under Allergens it listed "milk". However, I missed one itty bitty five-letter word under the ingredients: "wheat". How the heck did I miss it??!! Thankfully I had only eaten a few spoonfuls. It tasted terrible, BTW, as commercial puddings do. :wacko: "Wheat, did you forget you are NOT allowed in my house??? GET LOST!" :angry: And so into the garbage it went.

There is a good thing to all this. As I said, I've wondered for ages what would happen if I ate gluten, never ever considering doing it deliberately even for a split second. Well, now I know so if I feel like this the reason is glaringly obvious.

Needless to say I haven't been cooking much. But am getting my appetite back today so plan to do some serious damage in the kitchen tomorrow. Tonight we're having the remainder of my homemade turkey noodle soup. Tomorrow the fun begins! And I cannot wait. :D
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4673 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

GAH! You poor thing. :( I guess though, if you want a rainbow, you don't have to worry now about being silent and wondering forever if you have accidents. (I've always thought that is far scarier than being sick, even though I stay sick for more than a month.) Glad that it hasn't stayed horrid for too long though. :) It wasn't that terribly long ago I did pretty much the same thing with soup. If my head didn't hurt so much I probably would have banged it on the wall in frustration. We all have our not so shining moments I guess. :lol:

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4674 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

GAH! You poor thing. :( I guess though, if you want a rainbow, you don't have to worry now about being silent and wondering forever if you have accidents. (I've always thought that is far scarier than being sick, even though I stay sick for more than a month.) Glad that it hasn't stayed horrid for too long though. :) It wasn't that terribly long ago I did pretty much the same thing with soup. If my head didn't hurt so much I probably would have banged it on the wall in frustration. We all have our not so shining moments I guess. :lol:

You're right - I'm going for the rainbow. I always try to look on the positive side of things and see what I can learn from circumstances. It has been scary always wondering, especially traveling. And to think I had a few of those stupid dumb pudding thingers this past summer. No reactions then but that has changed. Sounds weird but it is actually sort of a relief. I AM A REACTOR! ^_^

So sorry you were ill for sooooooo long. :( That cannot be easy. :wacko:

BTW, where on earth is everyone? Is is due to the maintenance thinger that was happening the past couple of days? Hellooooo????!!!!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4675 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

You're right - I'm going for the rainbow. I always try to look on the positive side of things and see what I can learn from circumstances. It has been scary always wondering, especially traveling. And to think I had a few of those stupid dumb pudding thingers this past summer. No reactions then but that has changed. Sounds weird but it is actually sort of a relief. I AM A REACTOR! ^_^

So sorry you were ill for sooooooo long. :( That cannot be easy. :wacko:

BTW, where on earth is everyone? Is is due to the maintenance thinger that was happening the past couple of days? Hellooooo????!!!!

I don't know. There was maintenance and POOF! I feel like some sort of creepy, lurking stalker or something. :ph34r:

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4676 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

I feel like some sort of creepy, lurking stalker or something. :ph34r:

Me, too. Watch your back! We lurkers must stick together. B)

#4677 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

whatsamatta? you guys lonely?? B)

IH is down for the count. Bad, bad neck and back pain and a high histamine response going on.
I know waaa, waaa
I'll live.

Sorry you found out the "gluten bites you back" thinger, love 2. Like you need more celiac symptoms. <_<

Okay, I am forcing myself to make

bison meatloaf and sweet potatoes.

Not very hungry.....

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4678 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Hey love2, sorry you got hit, glad you found a bright side. If it is any consolation I managed to eat 3 wholemeal bread rolls, even after commenting that it was remarkable how much like real bread. Someone had left the wheat ones in the freefrom section. Doh. Good healing :)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#4679 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Oh Bummer!!! So sorry you got bit L2T -- it happens -- glad you are looking at the rainbow peeking out of the whole deal.

Feel better everyone....

Irish, Addie, L2T - am I forgetting someone? and this poor server - my miscellaneous digital devices are not happy with the flip -- this too shall pass.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4680 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

WTH?! Is it like some mass thing going around making people feel bad? I feel like hell, but I guess I can say that I'm fortunate that is only general female hell. And then the milk tank at the dairy broke. And the store is completely out of safe milk for me. Which is my sole consolation. WAAAAA!!!!

We could have a regular pity party going here. I'll bring the cheesebread!

Good news. Our inversion is over, or starting to be over today. My eyes don't burn nearly so much. I can feel the air getting better. Woohoo! It has been about 2 weeks of crappy air and constant burning eyes. I hate winter. <_<

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: