This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Adalaide Mentor

Scored a sale at the store, and I managed real cooking tonight. Balsamic and rosemary marinated London broil with sugared rainbow carrots and garlic green beans.

And I got out of the house today and got all my starters planted. Mostly my husband did all the real work. I sat on the concrete and scooped potting soil into the pots and pushed seeds in. He did all the heavy lifting, getting up and down and all that nonsense. Woo! I feel human again. A hit by a bus human, but human.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

GottaSki Mentor

Good News...ankle is less swollen and pics show no breaks :)

Bad News...resumed my plan to make light flaky biscuits and found I had no yogurt - doh!!!

Heading to the store after this round of ice and will be making a uncured bacon, free range egg and fresh cheese biscuit tomorrow morning!!!!

Dinner is pork chops and stuff ;)

Adalaide Mentor

Stuff is good for dinner. :P Glad you're mending.

We're having do-overs of the meat. I made some more puffs this afternoon when I wanted a snack so I'll have those and some sort of veggie or something.

I had one of those days where everything went wrong, and the longer the day went on the more things there were going wrong. So finally I gave up before I started screaming at the walls or went totally mental. And I made puffs. Because the obvious cure for a bad day is baked goods. :D

GottaSki Mentor

Puffs sound like a grand idea...cuz they go very well with stuff  ;)

Sorry you had a tough day, but glad you reminded me of puffs :)

IrishHeart Veteran

. Because the obvious cure for a bad day is baked goods. :D

Wish I had made some then cuz this day sucked. 

GottaSki Mentor

Wish I had made some then cuz this day sucked. 

You are three hours closer to bedtime?  So, you got that going for you....which is nice.

She says as she ducks for cover  :ph34r:

Here is hoping tomorrow brings better days all around -- about to add wine to the situation here....may need hubs to help the tipsy cripple down the stairs later ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

You are three hours closer to bedtime?  So, you got that going for you....which is nice.

She says as she ducks for cover  :ph34r:

Here is hoping tomorrow brings better days all around -- about to add wine to the situation here....may need hubs to help the tipsy cripple down the stairs later ;)

As my wise daddy always said "this too shall pass, baby". 

I "ain't worried" about nuthin.

We had scallops and hogfish snapper, risotto and sauteed baby spinach (and about 3 tito's.)

I feel great right now :lol:  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

As my wise daddy always said "this too shall pass, baby". 

I "ain't worried" about nuthin.

We had scallops and hogfish snapper, risotto and sauteed baby spinach (and about 3 tito's.)

I feel great right now :lol:  

:D

LauraTX Rising Star

Today for dinner is crock pot red beans and ham.  I was super excited today because I got in my order of stuff from Gluten Free Creations Bakery.  Their Sandwich bread was the "omgomgomg this is the best gluten-free bread ever" I had in the hospital and I ate some today and was in heaven.  Threw in a chocolately treat or two to go with it as well, lol.  I swear it reminds me of the home made bread my grandma would make.  Totally worth ordering it, got 8 loaves to last me a while.  I had stopped eating bread except rare occasions but this may make me increase the amount I eat, lol.

My 2 week follow up with the surgeon got rescheduled to Monday, so I went to the drug store just to get out of the house.  Yay for being able to drive!  I can walk well, just anything that involves bending or lifting is still not doable too much.  I have a lot of housework backing up, haha.

GottaSki Mentor

YAY for all of that!  Started looking into the bread the other day and was distracted...focus, Lisa, focus ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

Totally worth ordering it, got 8 loaves to last me a while.  I had stopped eating bread except rare occasions but this may make me increase the amount I eat, lol.

My 2 week follow up with the surgeon got rescheduled to Monday, so I went to the drug store just to get out of the house.  Yay for being able to drive!  I can walk well, just anything that involves bending or lifting is still not doable too much.  I have a lot of housework backing up, haha.

Good, now your thighs can expand like the rest of ours did.  :lol:

The housework can wait, young lady. You are still healing.

A story: 

My mother worked long hours. We all had chores to do to help around the house. We all knew how to run the washing machine and hang clothes up (no dryer) We all had to set the table or dry the dishes, vacuum,  or take out the trash, etc. The two assignments I drew were: (and how ironic this turned out to be) clean the toilet   <_< and iron my father's handkerchiefs (really, Dad aren't you just going to blow your nose in those and wrinkle them up? yeah, but they look nice in the pocket when i start my day, babe! Okee dokee)

anyhoo

My mother drew the slip of paper  "dusting" from the pile of chores. ha! that was her least favorite thing to do. (still, to this day) .

My dad would start dinner because he got home first... and we had a rule, "he who cooks does not wash", so we all took turns washing and drying (no dishwashers around in the stone age)  My mother would delay that dusting thing for as long as possible. It became a joke that she was just slacking off. We would pretend sneeze and say

"man, it's kinda dusty in here"...

She said "I'll get to it.... be quiet and eat your peas".  Peas suck. Maybe so, but you're eating them anyway.

(I didn't)

One day I noticed on the dusty dining room table that my mother had written in her elegant, swooping handwriting "See you on Saturday.........!!!!!"

If my anal, OCD, uber-tidy Mom can put off housework without a care, anyone can. 

gilligan Enthusiast

Today for dinner is crock pot red beans and ham.  I was super excited today because I got in my order of stuff from Gluten Free Creations Bakery.  Their Sandwich bread was the "omgomgomg this is the best gluten-free bread ever" I had in the hospital and I ate some today and was in heaven.  Threw in a chocolately treat or two to go with it as well, lol.  I swear it reminds me of the home made bread my grandma would make.  Totally worth ordering it, got 8 loaves to last me a while.  I had stopped eating bread except rare occasions but this may make me increase the amount I eat, lol.

LauraTX, I looked up that bakery and will place an order. Lots of choices!  What bread did you like, and have you tried the hot dog and burger buns?  I'll have to order a bread without dairy, so I hope it's good!

Adalaide Mentor

I am so with your mom on this one! Dusting is the most stupid thing ever. And my mom had shelves put on the walls (not a few, we're talking more than a dozen at 3 feet long each) just to hold a bunch of freakin knick-knacks and crap. Then she's all "go dust" and meant to pick up every, single, thing, and dust, and put them all back exactly where they came form. <_< To this day I hate dusting, which is sad, because dust is a real problem in Utah. It never rains here, so it's always super dusty. Seriously, I dust like... twice a year. :ph34r:

If it makes you feel better Laura, I still have pain from bending and lifting too. So I just don't! Housework shmousework? I just started this week tackling the mountain of dishes that piled up at first. I don't do it all at once because the counter is the same height as my belly button incision and it's still painful to be doing stuff in the kitchen where I'm bumping against a counter for too long. But the mountain is now simply a pile, which is quite an achievement imo since I keep using dishes every day. Other than cleaning my bathroom mirror (I think that's one of my OCD things, windows and mirrors have to be clean. perfectly. clean.) I've done nothing that counts as cleaning. I have directed my husband in doing the laundry though. That probably counts as a chore. :lol: My philosophy is that it'll still be dirty when I feel well enough to get around to it, the dirt isn't going to get tired of waiting for me and run away from home, so I'll get to it when I get to it. And when I do, it'll be the turtle method, slow and steady, so I don't hurt myself.

My husband decided that he wanted breakfast for dinner a few days ago. He said he was craving pancakes. So tonight will be pancakes and stuff. :P

LauraTX Rising Star

LauraTX, I looked up that bakery and will place an order. Lots of choices!  What bread did you like, and have you tried the hot dog and burger buns?  I'll have to order a bread without dairy, so I hope it's good!

I got the sandwich bread, which does have dairy.  But from a few things I read on places like yelp, tripadvisor, urbanspoon etc, they have been around a long time and have a lot of good, perfected recipes.  Got 8 loaves of that, 2-2packs of pizza crust, an order of 2 chocolate whoopie pies, and an order of chocolate donuts.  Tried it all except the pizza crust, the chocolately stuff is gooooooooood.

Yeah my thighs are definitely going to get bigger... LOL.  I do tend to be a busy bee, it is hard to not do things that are there to be done!  My husband is pretty helpful so I am glad for that.  But I, too, hate dusting.  I actually will do it with the vacuum cleaner so I don't inhale as much, lol.  But yeah... dust bunnies are my friends, especially in parts of the house I don't use as much!

Tonight is spaghetti and broccoli!  And garlic bread with this glorious bread.  I have to make it last, because as soon as it gets hot which will be like two weeks from now, I will have to do the expensive one day shipping.  So, darn.

Adalaide Mentor

Very excited. We went out today because I had my follow up appointment, and we stopped at the store on the way home for a great deal on Chex. Well the store was doing some sort of smoked ribs or whatever. Sometimes they do this just because, and sometimes it's a fundraiser sort of thing. Without any expectations or hopes, I went and asked if their ribs were gluten free. I half expected to see a bag of rolls they were putting one of on everyone's plate and just to walk away because they were probably getting crumbs all up in the whole thing of ribs that way. Instead the only rolls they had were King's Hawaiian that were in 4 packs and unopened and included that way. I asked about the gluten-free status and they were all "psh... we don't know but people keep asking. We just put BBQ sauce on them, nothing else, but we don't know if it's gluten free or not." I was like, well can I check the ingredients. They let me read the side of the ginormous box, and the ingredients were safe. They were selling meals for $5 for 1/3 rack, a small back of chips and a can of soda. So on the way out I got a meal. I rarely treat myself to something like this, but I love ribs and my husband doesn't.

It's also kind of late, so I may just cancel dinner (I'm stuffed!) and make something simple for my husband. He'll get an early dinner tonight. The sleep study people called him and asked if he could come in tonight, so he's heading in at 8. He'll finally get hooked up with a c-pap and get some decent rest. Yay! (I know they'll end up giving him one, he snores like an army of chainsaw murderers and stops breathing every few minutes and wakes himself up constantly.)

GottaSki Mentor

There will be dinner...but I just arrived home with my favorite bottle of 'Deadly Zins' -- be back later with a report on what happened in the kitchen ;)

Happy Friday Dinner Peeps :wub:

GottaSki Mentor

Quiet in here tonight....

Wine was excellent.

Son perfectly grilled an enormous tri-tip

Hubs mad potatoes with garlic and cilantro for them

and my purple sweet potatoes with g and c for me :)

oh and broccoli too.

Do-overs for lunch tomorrow...so one happy camper here.

Oh ... other son and i had conversation about the dinner I was supposed to make last night -- got hijacked by the men.

Was to be Pork and stuff plus puffs.

I said too bad we couldn't name it HR Puff n Stuff -- working on it...good theme and puffs are back on for tomorrow evening.

kareng Grand Master

Had Sav Blanc here with cheese, peppered salami, fruit & Crunchmaster & Breton crackers.

LauraTX Rising Star

So I am going to make spaghetti tomorrow- hubby had a large lunch at work.  So I had leftover red beans and ham, some watermelon, and a chocolate whoopie pie from gluten-free creations... lol!  It was freaking marvelous.  Marvelous, I tell you!  I had their bread for breakfast, haha!  I need to stop, my hiney is going to get big.  Going to make the hubby slave outside doing house stuff tomorrow then will take him to the grocery store to lug things around for me.

GottaSki Mentor

Dinner tonight...just made a cheeseburger on canyonbakehouse and loaded into my Petco Park Pack :)

Great day...

Hubs got on the bicycle track for the first time at our great old Velodrome in Balboa Park.

Taught one son how to direct my Mom's PT/OT and tomorrow will teach the other son -- relief therapists is a very good thing for me!

Going to get toes done with a good pal I haven't seen in awhile.

Finishing the day on a Baseball Date with the hubs.....what a difference a few months can make.

Oh....ankle update -- all swelling gone this morning -- still a bit black and blue and hurts walking down stairs, but not up -- should prob be taking the stairs slowly anyway ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

SO glad to hear my Lucy Ricardo twin is recovering nicely. :D

well, last night we had a pinot grigio  and a pizza with BACON, toms, 3 cheeses, roasted garlic, sauteed portabellas, peppers and shallots and holy cow that was fabulous. And I tolerated ALL of it! whoofreakinhoo!

Tonight, I am making Mongolian beef and fried rice (loookout PF Chang's!!) lol

My mom is coming for a week starting Tuesday and I am so excited. Oh yes, she hates everything: cheese, mushrooms, peppers, onions, garlic, spices...and figuring out a weekly menu is well, 
challenging"...

Here are example of actual convos we had and will likely have again:

B: "why are you putting that in there?" (pointing to minced garlic)

G: " because it makes food sing, ma"
B:   (making a face that resembles a gargoyle) " blech"

G: "yes, I know you hate it.... and you hate cheese too,  yet you love my meatballs.."
B: (aghast!) "YOU PUT CHEESE in those?"
G" yes.... and you said my balls were better than D's (my sister) J's (my brother who is the chef in that house) and your own"
B:  "That was your father who said that"
G: "J! get the tape where she said it, too!!!!....."

B: "do I need a hat?"
G:  "For???"
B:  "the sun."
G:  " Ma, do you EVER wear a hat in the summer up there?" (she doesn't--it would mess up that steel-belted radial hairdo she sports)
B:  "no. I hate hats. But Donna says...."
G:  'uh huh and who lives in Florida? me or Donna?"
B: "well, I better bring it. she INSISTS I need it and she gave it to me".
G "you can put it on for one minute, I'll take your picture by the pool and she can see you wore the hat".
B:  "oh that's a good idea".
G:  "yes, I am full of those"

B: "How many drinks is that now?"
G: "just one, but if you wait one more minute, you can witness a second being poured and quite possibly, a third"
B:  "don't get smart, missy"

I'm 57 years old and my mother is monitoring my drinking..

yeah
should be fun!!

goodbye all....if you do not hear from by next Tuesday, one of us  murdered the other.

xxoo your pal

Adalaide Mentor

SO glad to hear my Lucy Ricardo twin is recovering nicely. :D

well, last night we had a pinot grigio  and a pizza with BACON, toms, 3 cheeses, roasted garlic, sauteed portabellas, peppers and shallots and holy cow that was fabulous. And I tolerated ALL of it! whoofreakinhoo!

Tonight, I am making Mongolian beef and fried rice (loookout PF Chang's!!) lol

My mom is coming for a week starting Tuesday and I am so excited. Oh yes, she hates everything: cheese, mushrooms, peppers, onions, garlic, spices...and figuring out a weekly menu is well, 

challenging"...

Here are example of actual convos we had and will likely have again:

B: "why are you putting that in there?" (pointing to minced garlic)

G: " because it makes food sing, ma"

B:   (making a face that resembles a gargoyle) " blech"

G: "yes, I know you hate it.... and you hate cheese too,  yet you love my meatballs.."

B: (aghast!) "YOU PUT CHEESE in those?"

G" yes.... and you said my balls were better than D's (my sister) J's (my brother who is the chef in that house) and your own"

B:  "That was your father who said that"

G: "J! get the tape where she said it, too!!!!....."

B: "do I need a hat?"

G:  "For???"

B:  "the sun."

G:  " Ma, do you EVER wear a hat in the summer up there?" (she doesn't--it would mess up that steel-belted radial hairdo she sports)

B:  "no. I hate hats. But Donna says...."

G:  'uh huh and who lives in Florida? me or Donna?"

B: "well, I better bring it. she INSISTS I need it and she gave it to me".

G "you can put it on for one minute, I'll take your picture by the pool and she can see you wore the hat".

B:  "oh that's a good idea".

G:  "yes, I am full of those"

B: "How many drinks is that now?"

G: "just one, but if you wait one more minute, you can witness a second being poured and quite possibly, a third"

B:  "don't get smart, missy"

I'm 57 years old and my mother is monitoring my drinking..

yeah

should be fun!!

goodbye all....if you do not hear from by next Tuesday, one of us  murdered the other.

xxoo your pal

Sounds like a blast! But she's your mom and it'll all work out and fun will be had. Or, you know, I live in the desert, if you decide you need a road trip for reasons of unspecified origin. Just sayin'.

Also, every time my mother told me not to get smart I was always "what? You want me to be stupid?" She would just glare at me because what could she say?

Tonight is boneless BBQ pork ribs (my husband is ok with ribs when they don't have bones) and veggies and rice.

IrishHeart Veteran

Sounds like a blast! But she's your mom and it'll all work out and fun will be had. 

oh, I have tons of stuff lined up to keep her happy and engaged. LOL and one of those neck buckwheat pads..is for her.  :wub:

Look it up ..she has Chiari-malformation and yes, I have found links to celiac disease. I have 2 cousins with it and one cousin's child was operated on for it.They all could use heat pads. I have mine on right now. 

Oh, and  2 others have been "gifted"...as well. My bunny-lovin friend who visited  me last week? She loved hers (I kept mine) and my Beachie friend loved the other ..and she said "it smells nice" and yeah, it really does..!!.LOL

P.S and just so you all know, my Mom knows who IrishHeart is and  I will show her this post and the pics of me with dr. F and she will laugh and say

yeah, okay, wise ass...where's my cookies? because I make my Mommy the best gluten-free granola cookies on the planet.

notme Experienced

(she doesn't--it would mess up that steel-belted radial hairdo she sports)

that just made me spit my drink LOLZ and i am stealing it, wordsmith  :)

last night i stuffed some shrimp w/crabmeat stuffing.  spinach salad (YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!  because it's ma fav-rit) with mandarin oranges, craisins, fresh mozz, poppyseed dressing (BRIANNA'S it's da bomb diggity) and almond crunchies :)

addy - those tortillaland tortillas were really good.  i know you have had 'authentic' ones, so see what you think.  i have never had authentic ones to compare them with, but i even used them past the expiration date (running with scissors, i know, lolz) and i thought they were good :)

tonight, pork chop surprise.  i have pork chops.  surprise me....   ^_^

IrishHeart Veteran

that just made me spit my drink LOLZ and i am stealing it, wordsmith   :)

last night i stuffed some shrimp w/crabmeat stuffing.  spinach salad (YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!  because it's ma fav-rit) with mandarin oranges, craisins, fresh mozz, poppyseed dressing (BRIANNA'S it's da bomb diggity) and almond crunchies :)

addy - those tortillaland tortillas were really good.  i know you have had 'authentic' ones, so see what you think.  i have never had authentic ones to compare them with, but i even used them past the expiration date (running with scissors, i know, lolz) and i thought they were good :)

tonight, pork chop surprise.  i have pork chops.  surprise me....   ^_^

Seriously, enough hair spray every day and you could bounce a dime off that hair. :lol:  I used to tease her when she wore her hair piled on top of her head...you know, like a french twist in the back, but curls piled on top--that birds were nesting in there. lmao 

Pork chop surprise --why that's one of my favorite things! lol

I know you probably want to eat them tonight, but next time you have some pork chops, try this recipe. You have to brine them beforehand, but totally worth it. I find pork chops to be a tad chewy, IMHO so brining them helps a LOT.

Just an idea. ;) xx

http://leitesculinaria.com/82234/recipes-pan-roasted-pork-chops.html