9631 replies to this topic

#4816 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

I've got a cooking husband -- thank goodness -- otherwise the family would have starved during certain periods of time -- I'm grateful for him and that I taught my kids to cook too -- although they are all very happy to let me take care of it for awhile ;)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#4817 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

I've got a cooking husband -- thank goodness -- otherwise the family would have starved during certain periods of time -- I'm grateful for him and that I taught my kids to cook too -- although they are all very happy to let me take care of it for awhile ;)

Same here. Without him, we both would have starved. He carried the burden for a long time. He can do it, but I am the "better cook" he says.
(I am. That's da truth, :lol:)

I went to the gym again today, Ski. So far, so good. I cannot begin to express my sheer joy at being able to use my muscles again--the same ones that were once so weak, bordering on atrophy that I was unable to even dress myself. So much for the doubters (before DX) who said I would need a hoveround. <_< because of "fibromyalgia". It was from celiac, you idjits. I told them it wasn't that.... Fibro, my arse.

And until I can ride my bike, the pink and white bicycle streamers you sent me are dangling from my gym bag!!!xx
J cracks up every time he sees them.

Dinner tonight:

Bison meatloaf, sweet potatoes, sauteed chard.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4818 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Just reading this recipe. What is " pre-cooked corn meal" ?

So far the only brand of this that I have found is PAN. (While it does have a cc warning, the bakery I frequent uses it and tests it regularly and it has never tested positive for gluten.) It is not cornmeal treated with lime, which is an entirely different animal. Or corn as the case may be. Corn treated with lime is masa harina, precooked cornmeal is masarepa. I have found the PAN brand of masarepa in both yellow and white, and don't find that the flavor is particularly different with either although I have always had a preference for white corn which started as a little girl.

Same here. Without him, we both would have starved. He carried the burden for a long time. He can do it, but I am the "better cook" he says.
(I am. That's da truth, :lol:)

I went to the gym again today, Ski. So far, so good. I cannot begin to express my sheer joy at being able to use my muscles again--the same ones that were once so weak, bordering on atrophy that I was unable to even dress myself. So much for the doubters (before DX) who said I would need a hoveround. <_< because of "fibromyalgia". It was from celiac, you idjits. I told them it wasn't that.... Fibro, my arse.

And until I can ride my bike, the pink and white bicycle streamers you sent me are dangling from my gym bag!!!xx
J cracks up every time he sees them.

Dinner tonight:

Bison meatloaf, sweet potatoes, sauteed chard.

I used to think things like, that woman with bike streamers on her gym bag is eccentric. Or, that 35 year old woman wearing the giraffe hat is just weird. Now I wonder what someone went through to end up with the philosophy that life is too short for any of that nonsensical stuff, and that if it makes you happy, just do it, no matter how people look at you.

I'm not a gym kinda person, but I'm lugging my fat arse back onto my elliptical again. Yay? That folate supplement is making a real difference already in my energy and pain levels and it hasn't been quite a week yet.

Tonight is my first ever homemade fried chicken. I can't wait! No soy, no Crisco? No problem! I have an entire tub of lard in the pantry. :ph34r:

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4819 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Oh, and I should point out that my husband is an awesome kitchen helper. I think it is probably better that way than him actually cooking. I like the spare set of hands, and I like being able to heap vegetables on his plate when he isn't looking.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4820 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Go IH Go!!!

Posted Image

Ya...docs suggested a wheelchair to me -- I'm too stubborn -- I'd rather crawl ;)

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#4821 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

And another three cheers for Addie's elliptical...

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Hip Hip Hooray :)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#4822 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

I used to think things like, that woman with bike streamers on her gym bag is eccentric. Or, that 35 year old woman wearing the giraffe hat is just weird. Now I wonder what someone went through to end up with the philosophy that life is too short for any of that nonsensical stuff, and that if it makes you happy, just do it, no matter how people look at you.

What. She. Said. (yeah, I do not give a flying fig what anyone thinks of my "eccentricities" anymore. One of the perks of getting older. :lol:)

And "good on you" as my friend says.... for getting back on the machine. ;) yep, that folate deficiency was a real energy zap on me. Glad you are feeling better!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4823 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

And another three cheers for Addie's elliptical...

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Hip Hip Hooray :)

That makes two excited people, the other one being my husband who has been complaining that we paid for this thing and I'm not even using it. I should be excited, and I am excited about my ability, but the whole getting used to it again and sore muscles is not high up on my list of exciting things. :lol: Hopefully IH is faring better at the gym.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4824 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

That makes two excited people, the other one being my husband who has been complaining that we paid for this thing and I'm not even using it. I should be excited, and I am excited about my ability, but the whole getting used to it again and sore muscles is not high up on my list of exciting things. :lol: Hopefully IH is faring better at the gym.

We'll just keep being excited for you until your muscles start cooperating ;)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#4825 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

OMG Burgers on Buns made with Pamela's Bread Mix - I buy OMG burgers premade at my favorite market in Santa Rosa -- maybe I already told this story -- pardon the frog -- anyway if I haven't they are made with grass fed beef, cheese, bacon and bbq sauce all premixed into the patty. Haven't bought them on the past two trips because I cannot eat them -- Son kindly reminded me last weekend to purchase them. They'll be having them with avocado, extra cheese and bacon along with sweet potato fries

I'll have zu-noodles, chicken and the fries :D

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#4826 alex11602

alex11602

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

I made boneless skinless chicken thighs again and some broccoli, then did up a quick cheese sauce and served it over baked potatoes.

#4827 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Those burgers sound delicious!

I am happy to report that my first ever fried chicken (yes, ever) turned out freakin amazing. The only thing between me and a second piece was thoughts of buttoning my pants tomorrow. :ph34r:

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4828 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

Curried boneless chicken thighs with fried onions & broccoli!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#4829 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

I'm trying a new recipe, Cuban-style pork and sweet potato stew. It's done in a slow cooker and counts only 7 points on Weight Watcher's. Sounds like a winner, but I'll let you know later. I'm doing a black bean and corn salad with it.

We have become tired of the same old stuff, so I am trying to spread out to different cultures. I am "deep South" so I have found most of the ways to alter comfort food like fried chicken, mac and cheese, and all those garden vegetables with cornbread. Thai is easy and usually I don't even have to modify the recipes. Since someone told me about Tinkyada pasta, I have done quite a few Italian dishes.

My great revealation is that if I make a game of it, this gluten -free business is not so bad. Beats the heck out of being sick!

#4830 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

Mmm. That sounds good , let us know how it goes :)

I have my eye out for a good Thai green curry recipe if anyone has one :) :)

Making it fun is definitely the way to go. I like finding a new ingredient and trying it lots of ways. I can't get enough sprouts at the moment...we have pork tonight, probably stir fried ( with sprouts if Mr Mindwarp isn't home, without if he is)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: