This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

GottaSki Mentor

Good news...the Santa Ana Heat was blown away by a nice cool breeze...gonna be nice and cool tomorrow for a hike.

So, Jamie brings the donuts and then we all can hike them off :D

Seriously...the cool is great for me as I'll be driving the support wagon for the hubs 100 miler tomorrow that includes a local mountain climb -- not so great for him -- hope it doesn't rain (and that set of words has never come out of me before).

Dinner tonight is Chicken Tacos.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

IrishHeart Veteran

what?!  i missed cake AND donuts??!!   :o

thanx for the well wishes  :wub:  i had a 'procedure' and all is well  :) i got a good report, complete with photos.  like a photo of my colon is big news lolz the doc was excited to tell me what a great one i had.  i think i like this guy (New Doc: "Jeff Jeffery" <that is what i named him.  my old doc was dr. ruth hahahaa i didn't need to change her name)

tonight is spaghetti and meatballs <probly gonna deep fry the meatsballs.  because we HAS a deep fryer, so everything should be DEEP FRIED.  yes, my husband is a deep frying fiend.  hey, i'm using palm oil - good idea or bad idea?  

waiting on my grandcats right meow!  gizmo gary meow meow cat and jazzy j sugar mae (cat) aka Dumb Squirrel   :)  and my daughter who shall remain nameless........ :lol:

kitties have major healing powers.  ^_^

a "good colon" is a happy colon. 

and if'n yer going for fried balls, you're feeling mighty good post "procedure".

so glad  :wub:

from what I have read (there I go again!) palm oil has debatable health benefits and the jury is still out

http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2115331,00.html

Adalaide Mentor

Apparently our dinner meat was rib eye. I looked up a few "recipes" and everything was basically fry it until it's brown on the outside and enjoy. So we seasoned, fried, and I made a balsamic and brown butter sauce for over it which was delicious.

I also watch way too much food network. I fell in love with a way too amazing recipe I probably have no business making but have every intention of doing so anyway. I'm a sucker for anything and everything German (which is a duh from growing up where I did) and saw the most amazing sauerbraten I almost died. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sauerbraten-recipe2.html I'm putting this on hold for now, and think I'll save it for a celebration dinner after I have an amazing first week at the farmers market in June.

GottaSki Mentor

awesome note in my email box this morning:

'Your A.com order of 2x "Wilton Nonstick 6-Cavity..." has shipped!'

and they are set to arrive tomorrow -- love that a.com has added the good old USPS to their carriers and now deliver on Sundays -- tomorrow happens to be the youngest's 19th birthday...I'm thinking fresh chocolate donuts will make a lovely snack for the D&D Crew.

Today I'm playing SAG for hubs bike ride and then the daughter from up north is popping in with a friend for dinner so it's enchiladas again--easy and she loves them.  I'll feed her even tho she didn't bring the shortest members of our family with her to give me cuddles ;)

Wishing you a wonderful weekend Dinner Peeps :wub:

notme Experienced

kitties have major healing powers.  ^_^

a "good colon" is a happy colon. 

and if'n yer going for fried balls, you're feeling mighty good post "procedure".

so glad  :wub:

from what I have read (there I go again!) palm oil has debatable health benefits and the jury is still out

http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2115331,00.html

YOU and all that READING and KNOWLEDGE and STUFF  :D

so, i'm either curing my own cancer and stroke OR i'm getting kilt by clogged arteries.   i'll take preventing strokes for 200, alex :)

today, i am wearing short pants!  yayy!  i'm thinking about grilling.   :D  B)

IrishHeart Veteran

YOU and all that READING and KNOWLEDGE and STUFF   :D

so, i'm either curing my own cancer and stroke OR i'm getting kilt by clogged arteries.   i'll take preventing strokes for 200, alex :)

today, i am wearing short pants!  yayy!  i'm thinking about grilling.   :D  B)

lmao

the trouble with reading too much of that STUFF is you become afraid of eating/drinking anything. We should live like my maternal Grandfather--he was 92 when he died. Except for a few cataracts and angina, the guy was fine. He ate what he wanted. period.

he ate stuff like steaks, raw oysters, gobs of butter, cheese, heavy cream, ice cream every day, bratwurst, hot dogs, all sorts of candies, donuts, beer, cookies etc. (obviously I didn't get celiac from his gene pool) 

and I see, you're right back into being my crazy little whacko girl!! whoohoo and double whoohoo for short pants!!

(i haven't been wearing pants since Sept 19th when I landed here in FLA, Sure, it attracts attention, a few stares, some pointing  but hey, I'm cool

with that) 

Okay, we're going to christen our new grill tonight too! B)

a couple filets, some potatoes tossed in garlic and white truffle oil and sea salt  and possibly some corn. 

I may even have a few cocktails. Why not? life is G-O-O-D. Maybe not perfect, but so what? I am alive. Beats the crap out of the walking dead thing we all lived.

Earlier today,  I told the people on the GD site to stop complaining and go outside, put their faces to the sky and say out loud "I'm alive! I'm alive" whoohoo!" (and stop worrying about stoopit shyte.)

Who gives a rat's butt why you're gluten free?? stop defending your life to others.  STOP TALKING ABOUT IT. JUST DO IT. /the end/

honey!! is it time for drinks yet?? 

notme Experienced

(i haven't been wearing pants since Sept 19th when I landed here in FLA, Sure, it attracts attention, a few stares, some pointing  but hey, I'm cool

with that) 

florida people.  they don't care................. ^_^

it's mike-in-his-underwhere season!  my neighbor across the street (retired career army) comes out of his house first thing in the morning in the summertime and has his vodka and kool-aid.  he thinks we think it's just kool-aid (but we're not the ones out in our underwheres)  eventually, he puts pants on.  i never put my glasses on until he does............. :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

it's mike-in-his-underwhere season!  my neighbor across the street (retired career army) comes out of his house first thing in the morning in the summertime and has his vodka and kool-aid.  he thinks we think it's just kool-aid (but we're not the ones out in our underwheres)  eventually, he puts pants on.  i never put my glasses on until he does............. :blink:

ooh! ooh!....I think someday you should go outside and salute him. ( I know I would! )  :D

yes, Florida people are very relaxed. I met a woman the other day wearing her bathing suit in the grocery store.

(the beach is 5 miles away) honestly, she should not have been wearing a 2 piece bathing suit, period, but she was happy

Jiggling herself throughout the produce section and I thought, you go girl! people were debating staring or looking away...it was tricky deciding what to do, her bottom bikini half literally wedged inside those ample butt cheeks,  so I said "It's a beautiful day, isn't it?"  She agreed enthusiastically. 

kareng Grand Master

That's funny.  Around here, it would be weird for a grown-up to be drinking Koolaid!  No one would notice the boxers (I hope boxers?) as they would be horrified about the Koolaid.   Here it would be a travel coffee mug or Starbucks cup with coffee and a shot or wine.

I had a neighbor who looked nice in her flimsy sleep attire.  She would put the dog out in the morning to bring in the paper.  Sometimes, the big lovable goof would get the wrong paper or get 2.  She would have to come out of her house to put the extra paper back.  The male neighbors loved that!

IrishHeart Veteran

That's funny.  Around here, it would be weird for a grown-up to be drinking Koolaid!  No one would notice the boxers (I hope boxers?) as they would be horrified about the Koolaid.   Here it would be a travel coffee mug or Starbucks cup with coffee and a shot or wine.

I had a neighbor who looked nice in her flimsy sleep attire.  She would put the dog out in the morning to bring in the paper.  Sometimes, the big lovable goof would get the wrong paper or get 2.  She would have to come out of her house to put the extra paper back.  The male neighbors loved that!

...and here i thought you lived in a sleepy Kansas town. You actually live in Melrose Place.

(and for the love of mike, I HOPE it's boxers too) 

kareng Grand Master

...and here i thought you lived in a sleepy Kansas town. You actually live in Melrose Place.

More like a "real Housewives of" but without the fake fights.  

IrishHeart Veteran

More like a "real Housewives of" but without the fake fights.  

:lol: lmao

notme Experienced

it is boxers, but that doesn't make it any better.  he sits spreadeagled on the top step of his front porch.  hence, the 'no glasses' rule.  we made him the mayor of the 400 block, lolz, welcome to the 400 block.  the crazy two houses down has no less than 8 (eight) security cameras and a locked fence.  i told the husband when the grid goes down, she is first.  we like her fence.  (seriously, i think one of those cameras is trained on my hubs when he works in the yard.  if i ever find out that is so, she gonna need alot of bandaids.  alot....)

kareng Grand Master

it is boxers, but that doesn't make it any better.  he sits spreadeagled on the top step of his front porch.  hence, the 'no glasses' rule.  we made him the mayor of the 400 block, lolz, welcome to the 400 block.  the crazy two houses down has no less than 8 (eight) security cameras and a locked fence.  i told the husband when the grid goes down, she is first.  we like her fence.  (seriously, i think one of those cameras is trained on my hubs when he works in the yard.  if i ever find out that is so, she gonna need alot of bandaids.  alot....)

Around here, he would be taken in as a sex offender! And probably breaking some Home Owners Assoc and city esthetic rules.

Adalaide Mentor

omg, I leave for a few hours to do chores and kill some monsters and you women are out of control! I do things like go to the mailbox in my jammies (perfectly respectable jammies!) and fuzzy socks and everyone around here is horrified!!! After my surgery I walked up and down the block in jammies and slippers my husband was like "are you going out like that?" I was like wth, do you think I'm putting on real pants with a real waist over where I had my guts cut out? I grew up where people grocery shop in curlers, pin curls or other such, in muumuus, jammies, or whatever. This whole "proper mormon" crap drives me up a wall and I aim to break the rule every chance I get. :lol: I ain't no proper mormon.

I don't know about the guy and his boxers. I'd be tempted to buy him a pack in what I could best guess as his size for Christmas or his birthday. I don't think I'd be able to resist.

notme Experienced

lolz - i am on the cornstalk heights historical community organization neighborhood board.  missed the first meeting thursday night :)  

down here, ms k, if you don't feel like walking, you just drive your lawnmower down the road.  ya gotta try REAL HARD to get arrested ;)

notme Experienced

addie, i think one of my relatives invented mormon  ^_^

Adalaide Mentor

addie, i think one of my relatives invented mormon  ^_^

That's cool. I think it's really neat to know what interesting stuff is in your family's past. My dad's family has always been interested in that stuff.

IrishHeart Veteran

lol Ski has a buttload of emails to read, I am thinking she'll be thinking holy crappers never shoulda gone off for the day. ^_^ 

The HOA here would frown on Colonel Underpants for sure.... but

since he is a veteran, I'd cut him some slack. I'd salute him if I were you.  Perhaps he'll salute you back  ;) <

Nothing wrong with walking outside in one's jammers..... I do that myself. But I would never subject anyone to seeing me in a lace bikini

if'n I weighed more than oh, maybe a buck thirty five-ish (just sayin) I was praying those  strings holding up her buttocks  did not going "boing" while I was walking behind her. 

clean up on aisle 2. 

(that would be a veritable melange of cray cray STUFF)

GottaSki Mentor

Holy Guacamole....I have one hell of a story to tell but was saving it for later when I have time...I hop on the dinner thread without checking my email and see things are waiting...finally serving dinner..be back soon : )

edited to add...I am pooped after an epic day...I'll be back in the wee hours when I can't sleep to tell a story -- any day that yields a story is a good day indeed.  nightie-night dinner peeps

GF Lover Rising Star

What a riot.  Mark this page (540), no mention of food but great conversation!..

Can't wait to hear Ski's story  :D

kareng Grand Master

To people looking for actual dinner ideas - look back a page or 2. We have a hard time always staying on track. Chime in any time about food, recipes, bathtub wine holders, creepy old guys in boxers, etc.

kareng Grand Master

Last night, I had a Margharita pizza at California Pizza Kitchen! Yum! And maybe a little wine......

GottaSki Mentor

Good Morning Dinner Peeps :wub:

Today is youngest's 19th birthday so dinner is standard birthday dinner for both my boys -- loads and loads of baby back ribs -- ok the load size may depend on how many of the D&D Crew stick around for dinner.  So ribs with hubs yummy red beans (um I assume they are yummy cuz the house always smells great while he is making them -- gotta trial legumes again sometime soon, but not tonight), french fries and grilled pineapple.  Triple Chocolate Fudge Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream.  Oh and chocolate donuts for afternoon snack for the son's gang :)

Story time!

So those that know me know I LOVE snow, practically worship the stuff.  Yet, on Friday night I went to sleep hoping it would not snow -- why would such a scandalous thought cross my brain????

Hubs was registered for a local bike ride with century option (100 miles).  This particular century had the added bonus of pedaling up a local mountain, Mt. Laguna.  We are located in San Diego County -- never before and no one would ever expect snow on the last weekend of April in San Diego as it is rare to even get snow in the winter.

On Friday evening as hubs was packing a go-bag for my car so I could meet him at the top of the mountain/50 mile turn around spot, I checked weather.com because we had heard there might be rain -- the hourly forecast called for snow showers during the three hours riders would most likely be climbing the hill.  I tell hubs and he gives his standard response in such conversations -- "weather forecasters can't forecast s$#&...it'll be cloudy but we will not see any rain or snow (said while lhao)".  I go to bed with the silly thought in my head...I really hope there isn't too much rain or snow, but if there is hubs is a tough guy, he'll be okay (of course I'll be worried s$#&less, but he'll be okay).

Yesterday morning hubs left for the ride; son and i packed up and headed up to the top of Mt Laguna for hopefully a nice nature walk while we wait for the riders -- no hiking for this girl yet, my clumsy ankle injury is better, but not quite there yet.

Son and I turn off the freeway to head up Sunrise Highway (Laguna Mountain's main road) and run smack dab into the huge rain clouds we saw as we drove east.  A couple minutes up the hill the outside temp had fallen to 31 degrees so I tell son...we may have snow after all.  Yep, snow all the way up the hill -- now I am only 10% worried about hubs and 90% doing a happy dance in my car seat as I drive :P .

We did indeed stroll a bit, but not much as klutsy here isn't great on ice -- think Bambi on ice -- yep, that's me.  Went back to the car we were hanging across the street from the official SAG Team for the riders -- um this meant we could sit facing the riders coming in from the warmth of the car -- very nice.  Checked in regularly with SAG to see if riders were making the climb, turning back or sagging out (getting a ride from support team).  We knew there were at least 10 riders on the hill and 2 had turned back -- likely more would follow, but the news was spotty.  So son and I cheered for all those that made it -- not knowing if hubs was still on the hill -- but our bets remained he was.

About half hour after his best guestimated ETA there were too many wet/cold riders for the two SAG vans to get inside to warm up before heading down the hill -- so SAG asked me if we could help warm up a rider that was in really bad shape -- I said of course and we sprung into action -- I love the opportunity to use all the preparedness crap I always have stowed in all our vehicles -- always hopeful that we won't need it for serious situations -- enter Omar -- nice young rider that had zero "insulation" on his young body -- shivering beyond anything I'd ever seen and I've seen a bit of cold folks in the snow in my time.  "Holy crappers" I said (wonder where I got that term ;) ) J, we may be dealing with hypothermia here -- son wrapped Omar in our emergency car blanket and we could see it was going to do nothing...apologized to Omar while throwing our dog's sheepskin doggy blanket over him and wrapping his head in a hot pink sweatshirt that was hanging out in the floorboards -- poor kid didn't care at all -- also couldn't feel his fingers or toes so I just get done pulling off his cleats and socks to look over my shoulder and sure as s$#& here comes the hubs over the final rise -- son and I run to greet him making more noise than any of the other riders heard from the crowd so everyone - SAG team, lookie lous and riders alike cheered for my hero (aka "hubs") as he pulled up to my car rather than SAG crew...hugs us and jumps in the car - we threw calories at him and grabbed his go bag.  He changed his entire kit to dry gear (including one of those red polka dotted 'King of the Mountain' jersies he laughed at when i gave it to him a few years back) hops outta the car onto the bike, circled the official SAG wagon for more calories and down the mountain he went. 

Loads of ultra fit cyclists chose to take the ride down the mountain in the SAG vehicles and no one could blame them -- but my 50 year old guy that still carries a bit of insulation despite the hundreds of miles he logs each week was cold, but not tired -- finished the 100 miles strong in only a half hour over his finish time goal. 

What a flipping day...SNOW, epic fun with son, helped a stranger....oh forgot to finish Omar's story -- tough kid -- together J and I warmed him to the point of normal shiver got new dry socks from the SAG team and transferred him back to a SAG transport vehicle -- he got a ride down the hill...but sure as s$#& climbed back on the bike to finish the last 30 miles in the saddle.  He found hubs at the after party/huge assed beer/meal event -- they ate together and shared the podium for the unofficial fun photo -- these two would never have met if not for my silly need to be prepared for anything -- couldn't be more proud of hubs, son and every rider that attempted that hill yesterday -- not sure the official number of riders registered to go up the hill, but know it was far more than the twenty or so that made it.  Anyone that makes fun of folks pedaling around town in Lycra as being sissies - need only watch any given amateur cycling event to see what a Badass really looks like B)

The End.

Your Pal, Ski :)

IrishHeart Veteran

To people looking for actual dinner ideas - look back a page or 2. We have a hard time always staying on track. Chime in any time about food, recipes, bathtub wine holders, creepy old guys in boxers, etc.

Yep, we eat, we drink, we tell stories, we encourage, we chat. We're "having dinner" with friends.  

I'll be doing roasted chicken, risotto, roasted asparagus today. Ok, there may be some vodka involved but no creepy guys in undies.

Well, none that I don't know anyway. ^_^

Happy Sunday, peeps. 

SKI

tell D I think he's da bomb.

and nice job on the rescue of Omar! Holy crappers. 

"weather forecasters can't forecast s$#&.....J says the same thing all the time. 

Weather forecasting--the one job you can totally suck at and still get a hefty paycheck!