This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

IrishHeart Veteran

I just came back from dinner at Bonefish grill. I love going there, they always take good care of me.
 A great place for gluten-free SAFE dining. After I ordered, she asked “do you want bread?”
 I looked at her like she had a trout swimming out of her forehead.

“Bread? why would I want that, hon? I told you, I have celiac”
Giving her my best smile….
She said “you’d be surprised how many people order off the gluten-free menu and then ask for the bread”
I said “no, I really wouldn’t be surprised. This gluten-free fad s$#& will be the death of us all”.

She agreed completely.

P. S. the creme brulee took some of the edge off my anger. The vodka helped even more  ^_^ 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

LauraTX Rising Star

I just came back from dinner at Bonefish grill. I love going there, they always take good care of me.

A great place for gluten-free SAFE dining. After I ordered, she asked “do you want bread?”

I looked at her like she had a trout swimming out of her forehead.

Hahaha!   One time at outback I was asked if I wanted bread, so I exclaimed, "Oh my gosh you guys have gluten-free bread now?  Thats awesome!!"  And I made her feel bad. That was on purpose lol.  Last time at our favorite steakhouse the server had obviously started to ask if we want dessert and ended up saying "Are you gonna be up for any... ice cream or ice cream?"  He saved it in a funny way, haha. I have still yet to have bonefish grill, closest one is a good hour drive away.

Night before last I made chicken tacos.  Turned out great so we had them for leftovers last night.  If any of you have Stubb's marinades and BBQ sauces (certified gluten-free) at your grocery stores, I highly recommend the green chile marinade for chicken tacos.  Mmmmmm soooo good.  Have I said that on here already?  May be doing the broken record thing now!

Adalaide Mentor

I spent the day organizing and doing stuff today. I had my sewing area sort of in front of the door to apartment and we were sliding through sideways to get in and I had bad light. I moved my sewing area today to the living room attached to the kitchen so I have lots of light from a big window. I told my husband to go find dinner in the deep freezer. He came back with peppercorn chicken for him and ground burger for me and told me to make myself meatloaf. I made a loaf of french bread that's still warm, the meat is in the oven and we'll work out veggies in a bit. I've gotten everything in perfect places in the kitchen because I turn around and just open drawers or cupboards and grab stuff. I'm so in love. :wub:

I've been being harassed about tacos. Sounds awesome! I'll have to make some this coming week. :D

GottaSki Mentor

Forgot...didn't get to see Spiderman...cuz the two youngest men went to a late night show last night as I slept  :huh:

No worries...early morning (cheap) date planned with hubs one day soon :)

Dinner tonight...ran to get a natural/ish remedy for the pool's chemistry and ran into a huge boneless ribeye with a 50% of sticker...had to be eaten today...so the me part of we decided hubs should have it and we would have pork steaks...added a very very very yummy and savory mac and cheese made with the white velveeta cheese type substance, cream, butter along with a combo of fresh herbs....smelled outstanding and men loved...works for me.

Tomorrow should be fun...free ticket to the Living Without Gluten Free Allergy Friendly Party at a local convention center.  Free ticket for freebies  :D .  Was going to Trolley over and then the part of me that is excited about the FREE weekend will have the kid drop me on his way to work (gas is probably more than trolley...hmmm may have to rethink this plan). 

Adalaide Mentor

Free/free? Sounds awesome! Have a great time! I've been seeing stuff about it and it looks like a great time planned.

RMJ Mentor

Gottaski, please let us know how the Gluten Free party is, I haven't yet decided if I want to go or not.

GottaSki Mentor

Gottaski, please let us know how the Gluten Free party is, I haven't yet decided if I want to go or not.

Will do!

Just checked the schedule -- the 'party' doesn't get started until 10am!  I have two hours and everyone thinks I am busy -- this is a very good thing ;)

Will check in later Re: the party details.

Dinner tonight -- I'm taking Hubs out to the Brigantine for some seafood.  Been a long while since I've been able to get out in the evening -- very excited :wub:

Edited by GottaSki

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Dinner tonight -- I'm taking Hubs out to the Brigantine for some seafood.  Been a long while since I've been able to get out in the evening -- very excited :wub:

oooh, have fun! 

It's Kentucky Derby--a holiday of sorts in this house.

I've got Karen's FKG going again (this thinger has gotten a workout this week!)

southern style country ribs--oh man, the house smells awesome!!

a sweet potato /yukon gold gratin 

sauteed okra w/tomatoes and our pal, BACON

I think I'll make some Jules' chocolate chip cookies 

GottaSki Mentor

Hello from the 'Gluten Free and More' coming out party.

I've been to quite a few gluten-free fairs over the past several years and I gotta say this is by far the best yet.

Interesting cooking demos thus far and the freebies are much more varied....most of these deals are heavy on the gluten-free baked goods and it seems the organizers attempted to limit them.

Good sized room/hall with comfortable chairs and tables to rest.

A very good day and one I would highly recommend - two days, not so much.

Happy Derby Day  :)

RMJ Mentor

Thanks for the report, I'll try to go tomorrow.

GottaSki Mentor

Thanks for the report, I'll try to go tomorrow.

If you buy your ticket online there is a 10% off code. GFFPC1

Oh...added bonus both Bards and New Planet are pouring  :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Hahaha!   One time at outback I was asked if I wanted bread, so I exclaimed, "Oh my gosh you guys have gluten-free bread now?  Thats awesome!!"  And I made her feel bad. That was on purpose lol.  Last time at our favorite steakhouse the server had obviously started to ask if we want dessert and ended up saying "Are you gonna be up for any... ice cream or ice cream?"  He saved it in a funny way, haha. I have still yet to have bonefish grill, closest one is a good hour drive away.

Maybe you could make it a leisurely trip for you and the hubs some day, hon. The food is excellent and they really are celiac-friendly.

It's worth it to go and have a cocktail, relax and dine without holding your breath in the entire time worrying it's going to bite you on the arse later.  ^_^

shadowicewolf Proficient

So I tried the shells and cheese (white cheddar flavor). I omitted the butter because butter and I do not get along well. It reminded me of the cheese flavored ramen noodle cups. The noodles were surprisingly good, even though I had to cook them for another minute or so. I also added a bit too much milk.

Overall, I think I like it. I may try the mac and cheese one next.

LauraTX Rising Star

So I tried the shells and cheese (white cheddar flavor). I omitted the butter because butter and I do not get along well. It reminded me of the cheese flavored ramen noodle cups. The noodles were surprisingly good, even though I had to cook them for another minute or so. I also added a bit too much milk.

Overall, I think I like it. I may try the mac and cheese one next.

If you and butter don't get along, adding just a little of some kind of fat source will help it be more creamy.  Just try a tablespoon or two of whatever floats your boat.  The mac n cheese uses the same sauce that they pair with their gluten filled version, it is really good.

GottaSki Mentor

Dinner date was beyond special....I didn't order much but the glass of Pinot Noir...but my Hubs deserves many more meals out on the town and that is where we are headed....so glad I am starting to get some wonderful foods back...before long I'll be joining in :)

One last observation from the gluten-free Party today.  I'm tired so I'll cut and past from my funny page post:

PS...best find of the day...well for those of us with more issues than gluten: Bella Gluten Free...enjoyed her demonstration/talk and had the pleasure of a lovely conversation in her booth a bit later in the day. Wonderful woman and fantastic chef/baker for any intolerance.

GottaSki Mentor

It's cooling here - Yay! 

Turkey Meatloaf

Mashed Purple Sweet Potatoes

French Green Beans -- what the hell are they called?

and Star Wars Day Quadruple Fudge Brownies:

10329269_10152795022903574_7946697334222

IrishHeart Veteran

mmmmm brownies. 

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.”  My pal Yoda. 

haricots verts!  haricots verts!  ^_^ 

The pork was good (and there's so much of it..so, it's been remastered as pork on rolls.  Plenty of sweet potato gratin to enjoy as well.

Looks like irish is taking the night off. whoohoo!!

wish I  had some dang brownies...grumble grumble grumble...(nevah did make the cookies.... :mellow: )

I need a SkiLisamom :lol: ..

GottaSki Mentor

Still no cookies here either - boo!

They are next up with Addie's new flour.

Had to make brownies for to deliver to my pal -- for a house warming -- easier to make two pans so Star Wars Day went brownie -- the mate was pretty "Home Sweet Home" in teals and blues -- her favorite colors -- she was wearing a matching shirt when I arrived :D

IrishHeart Veteran

Still no cookies here either - boo!

They are next up with Addie's new flour.

Had to make brownies for to deliver to my pal -- for a house warming -- easier to make two pans so Star Wars Day went brownie -- the mate was pretty "Home Sweet Home" in teals and blues -- her favorite colors -- she was wearing a matching shirt when I arrived :D

. I bet it looked and tasted fabulouso!! 

LauraTX Rising Star

LOL Lisa I LOVE those! I want brownies now....

For lunch today I made up some black bean and sweet potato tacos.  For dinner I am going to do breakfast for dinner.  May need to go run out and get a brownie mix now though!

GottaSki Mentor

I use Betty Crockers and add a cup of choc chips...everyone always raves -- so simple ;)

kareng Grand Master

Doesn't everyone dress to match the dessert?

I use Betty Crockers and add a cup of choc chips...everyone always raves -- so simple ;)

Sometimes we add the Kraft Carmel bits.

http://www.kraftbrands.com/caramels/products/default.aspx

LauraTX Rising Star

Sometimes we add the Kraft Carmel bits.

http://www.kraftbrands.com/caramels/products/default.aspx

Oh my god why did I come back and read this when I am already craving things?  Time to go rifle through my pantry and make something.  Caramely brownies with nuts sounds sooooooooo gooooooood  /drools on keyboard

IrishHeart Veteran

Doesn't everyone dress to match the dessert?

But of course, dahling!! You should see my tiramisu dress with matching Tiara! ;)

All right, knock off the brownies and the caramel and the drooling you guys...someone is trying to lose that "celiac 15" she gained (3 times)

Dinner tonight is looking like something Mexican....happy Cinco de Mayo from sunny, 85 degree Florida B)

GottaSki Mentor
¡Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

Carne Asada Tacos (perhap Adobado Tacos) and hub's Refried Beans from scratch tonight -- hmm -- I think I'll make the hubs a fresh Margarita when he gets home this evening!

Funny, never heard of that whole Fourth of May nonsense before this past week and it went viral!!  Was fun and the hubs had a great idea -- we watched 'New Hope' and 'The Empire Strikes Back' last night -- the boys made it the trilogy, but I was too tired -- maybe next year ;)