This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

GottaSki Mentor

Holy Guacamole!!!! (actually one of my frequent exclamations - much to my children's dismay) :ph34r:

At least I actually made Guacamole today :P

The flipping icing for the Margarita Cake smells like a Margarita!  Guess it should with the citrus, triple sec and tequilla, but still...fun stuff :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

notme Experienced

Only tools inside this house are mine and they are not allowed to migrate to the shop!

Cobbler's kids had no shoes.....Contractor's wife does all minor repairs (otherwise I have to hear either A: why blankity blank is not needed or B: get right to it - contractorease for one day in the future if I remember the conversation)

Luckily when things are leaking flooding or floating away he does spring into action dragging the boys in tow :wub:

Have to reply to myself because all joking aside, my man is wonderful about taking care of business.

Multi-talented, he does electrical, plumbing, woodworking, fixes cars (HUGE motor head! he had a '68 corvette when we met and he let me drive it!!) and he does fix everything. He taught me how to lay hardwood floors, plus our beautiful slate floors back in NY --around the woodstove, etc, etc,

we made that house pretty special.

OOH and he can get a cork out of a wine or champagne bottle in a few seconds flat. whoohoo!! (and we say whoohoo! every time it pops) 

I was just joshing. I always give him credit for being the handiest guy I know. 

Even if I find golf tees, nails, and other assorted things in his pockets.(do not ask)...and in the washing machine.  :lol: I have only one little boy but he's a handful LOL

AMEN, girls!!!  

i have been calling around to painting contractors:  thank your lucky stars your guys can fix stuff!  holy crap.  worth their weight in gold....

i had one paint contractor call me and tell me they couldn't touch the level of workmanship my husband has done (trying to get the reallllly reallllly high upper parts of the house finished)  (he would rather fight a saber toothed tiger than climb a ladder, i think)  one gave me an insane price and most of the house is already done................... <_<  wth  :(

cyclinglady Grand Master

Everyone begged for Mexican food and that is what they are getting!

kareng Grand Master

We had chicken tacos. I made the meat in the........wait for it.......the Crockpot!

GottaSki Mentor

AMEN, girls!!!  

i have been calling around to painting contractors:  thank your lucky stars your guys can fix stuff!  holy crap.  worth their weight in gold....

i had one paint contractor call me and tell me they couldn't touch the level of workmanship my husband has done (trying to get the reallllly reallllly high upper parts of the house finished)  (he would rather fight a saber toothed tiger than climb a ladder, i think)  one gave me an insane price and most of the house is already done................... <_<  wth  :(

mine does not paint -- unless I'm in 'amoeba' state -- he builds, I paint

hmmm...do good painters network -- I'll check my cali-guys -- never know.

GottaSki Mentor

We had chicken tacos. I made the meat in the........wait for it.......the Crockpot!

Adobada is history...also in KFG...in fact the day got away from me so had both kids jumping to help get it in the crock by 3:30pm -- record prep -- maybe I'll wait until the last minute more often ;)

LauraTX Rising Star

Spaghetti with chebe cheese rolls on the side!  I love those cheesy rolls so much, I could have just them for dinner.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Baked Chicken

French Green Beans in Cream of Celery with Green Onions and Cheese on top -- pseudo traditional thanksgiving green bean cassarole

IrishHeart Veteran

Pork ragout with taglietelle. (but not in the crock pot)  :D The jovial brand is pretty terrific. I mean, even the foodies at 

America's Test Kitchen rave about it--and they're WEs.

A review from Cook's Illustrated:

"Winner: Jovial Gluten Free Brown Rice Pasta, Spaghetti

Thanks to a relatively high combined total of fiber and protein and a low, slow drying process, these “delicate and thin” brown rice strands were “springy” and “clean”-tasting with none of the gumminess or off-flavors that plagued other brands."

spaghetti.gif

Wednesday is pasta day. Always was, always will be. 

JodyM75 Apprentice

Haddock with balsamic-roasted bell peppers.

GottaSki Mentor

Welcome Jody -- Dinner sounds great :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Haddock with balsamic-roasted bell peppers.

As I  was born in Boston, haddock was often  our Friday night special!  :D  YUM!!

Welcome, Jody!! 

Adalaide Mentor

I'm always off by a day I guess. Sunday night we had tacos, which was a day early. Last night we had pasta. Day early again. At least I'm ahead of schedule instead of behind. :P

I think we're having burgers tonight. I didn't make plans and it's getting kind of late and I still haven't made plans. That sort of turns it into burger night. Some sort of veggie or something with it and it's dinner. I'll try to be better tomorrow, but I never make promises I can't keep.

GottaSki Mentor

I'm always off by a day I guess. Sunday night we had tacos, which was a day early. Last night we had pasta. Day early again. At least I'm ahead of schedule instead of behind. :P

I think we're having burgers tonight. I didn't make plans and it's getting kind of late and I still haven't made plans. That sort of turns it into burger night. Some sort of veggie or something with it and it's dinner. I'll try to be better tomorrow, but I never make promises I can't keep.

Can't remember when my frig ever met a set schedule...tacos, etc and burgers sound perfect!

You sportin' any Gelato?   teasing...there is another thread you should join...

IrishHeart Veteran

Can't remember when my frig ever met a set schedule...tacos, etc and burgers sound perfect!

You sportin' any Gelato?   teasing...there is another thread you should join...

I was kidding about the pasta every Wed. thinger anyway. I had to go a long long time without sauce (all that "GERD"  and all) <_<

Tonight's looking like pork tenderloin with an easy fig jam and mustard glaze, sweet potato for J and "zoodles.". I just saute them quickly in EVOO and herbs. I'm cutting back on carbs and (ahem) ge-lahh-to.

Still lovin those zoodles, Ski. 

Adalaide Mentor

I don't have any gelato right now.

Crying-Smiley.webp

GottaSki Mentor

Crying-Smiley.webp

Come on over quick -- I'm not going to trial mine any time soon -- but you have to be fast -- just told son he could have it!

notme Experienced

Crying-Smiley.webp

i have a VAT of it in the freezer, addy, help y'self :)  (sea salt & caramel, plus i have gluten-free SUGAR CONES om nom nommmm!)

last night was crab cakes, roasted brussels sprouts, and baby potatoes <hells yeah, i'm using those pricey suckers up, lolz :D

not cooking tonight, not cooking tomorrow night (going to one of our satellite kids grad party)  then, heading up to the university MY KID IS GRADUATING SATURDAY YAYYYY!   i'm going to take everybody out to eat......  maybe not ME, lolz, i might just be out to drink HAHA !!

GottaSki Mentor

i have a VAT of it in the freezer, addy, help y'self :)  (sea salt & caramel, plus i have gluten-free SUGAR CONES om nom nommmm!)

last night was crab cakes, roasted brussels sprouts, and baby potatoes <hells yeah, i'm using those pricey suckers up, lolz :D

not cooking tonight, not cooking tomorrow night (going to one of our satellite kids grad party)  then, heading up to the university MY KID IS GRADUATING SATURDAY YAYYYY!   i'm going to take everybody out to eat......  maybe not ME, lolz, i might just be out to drink HAHA !!

oh cool...i forgot about the cones I had stashed -- will give them to the kids with Double Dark Chocolate hanging out in the freeze.

Another attempt at man-sized flour tortillas -- if they work out -- Carne Asada Burritos -- if not it'll be taco salad tonight :)

LauraTX Rising Star

Tonight I am venturing up to a restaurant that serves GLUTEN FREE FRIED CHICKEN!! :o

Technically I am taking my stepmom out for a mothers day dinner soooo... can't make it about me.  But I have a feeling I will enjoy it very much.  Making crock pot red beans with ham and cornbread for when my hubby gets home, I will probably nibble on that for lunch tomorrow.

Adalaide Mentor

Double dark chocolate and sea salt caramel... in cones? Yes yes yes please!!! My neuro doubled my gabapentin and it had the most god-awful side effect ever. I'm going off it but the only joy left me right now is probably gelato so I gotta get some until I'm off these meds. I did see my pain doc today though and he got me on an accelerated titration for getting off of it.

Gratz on the graduations! That's so exciting. :D :D :D :D My baby's last day of high school is tomorrow. My baby baby. And I know she doesn't live with me but she's going to a college five hours away from home. What's she gonna eat? How will she ever get a decent meal? How will her laundry get done? FIVE HOURS?!?! My oldest is heading off from her community college to a "real" college an hour away from home in the fall and has a truck so she'll be able to go home on the weekends for real food at least. My babies are pseudo-adults. :blink: How did this happen? Where did all the time go?

I think dinner tonight will be some sort of chicken something. Not sure exactly what. For now until it starts to manifest we'll call it chicken surprise because it sounds exciting. Last night I made french onion soup with my dinner. It was divine. I read like 5 recipes and then just cooked. Naturally the recipe with the most influence was the one with the most wine. :lol:

Adalaide Mentor

Chicken surprise is becoming buffalo chicken dip because apparently all it took was once to get my husband hooked and that's what he wants. I know it's not exactly the most appropriate food for me with the ranch and the Frank's (not a gluten issue, I have other issues) but I'll have a little because it's delicious! Maybe I'll stuff myself with a big fat bowl of fried green beans.

Adalaide Mentor

Today is my six week checkup after my hysterectomy. There may not be time for dinner. :lol:

Actually, in all seriousness. I went shopping at 1:30 this morning and found skin on chicken thighs on sale. So something thighs, maybe fried with crispy skin. I know I shouldn't but just YUM! Rainbow carrots and mashed potatoes and some sort of yummy sauce with all the bits out of the pan that I'll get off with wine. Making my husband suffer while I make an amazing dinner sounds like more and more fun. ;)

GottaSki Mentor

Some of you know of my quest to make a good large flour tortilla -- it has been over five years since my kids have had a decent sized burrito -- living in the land of Mexican Fast Food makes that beyond difficult.

The Quest is over!

Thanks to a recipe passed to me by another nonWE -- we now have safe gluten free (decent sized) burritos for the first time in over five years -- was wonderful to see everyone enjoy safe burritos -- I even ate one (potato and rice - tummy's a bit fussy but digestive enzymes should help).

http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/thin-soft-gluten-free-wraps/

I doubled the recipe and used larger frying pans / 1/2 cup batter for each instead of the recommended 1/3 cup -- they freeze well so will likely make more next time.

Have no idea what is for dinner -- perhaps Quesodillas with the works :wub:
Wi11ow Apprentice

Burrito sounds great!

I'm making stuffed zucchini. Cut in half lengthwise and scooped out. Sauteed green onions and mushrooms in a little olive oil (make your own substitutions). Browned ground turkey all mixed together with avocado. I've also used hummus. Stuff back into hollowed out zucchinis and bake. Maybe 20 minutes - if you bake too long they get mushy.