This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

LauraTX Rising Star

Some of you know of my quest to make a good large flour tortilla -- it has been over five years since my kids have had a decent sized burrito -- living in the land of Mexican Fast Food makes that beyond difficult.

The Quest is over!

Thanks to a recipe passed to me by another nonWE -- we now have safe gluten free (decent sized) burritos for the first time in over five years -- was wonderful to see everyone enjoy safe burritos -- I even ate one (potato and rice - tummy's a bit fussy but digestive enzymes should help).

http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/thin-soft-gluten-free-wraps/

I doubled the recipe and used larger frying pans / 1/2 cup batter for each instead of the recommended 1/3 cup -- they freeze well so will likely make more next time.

Have no idea what is for dinner -- perhaps Quesodillas with the works :wub:

Which rice flour did you use?  I am definitely going to try those!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

GottaSki Mentor

Which rice flour did you use?  I am definitely going to try those!

I used Bob's Red Mill because it was what I had on hand -- it calls for fava bean (or rice or sorghum) -- think the potato starch is important though.

These were incredible to cook too -- I've made a lot of smaller "flour" tortillas -- usually I make gluten-free crepes -- but these were even easy to flip once the pans were right temp -- kinda like pancakes...the first one is rarely great -- but 2-11 were fabulous :)

Adalaide Mentor

We are having breakfast for dinner today. Pancakes and eggs and bacon flavored sausage. And because insomnia is awesome, the strawberry muffins I baked at 2:30 this morning. I also cleaned the bathroom floor, did the dishes and left no mess to clean up from my muffins. Apparently I'm awesome in the middle of the night. B)

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I'm totally going to check out that tortilla recipe! I have a tortilla press and for a long time I have wanted to find a decent gluten-free flour tortilla recipe.

kareng Grand Master

Salmon on the grill with a grilled pineapple " salsa", sort of stir fry veggies - fresh green beans, carrots and sweet onion with Teryaki, Schar baguette with garlic cream cheese & sea salt caramel and raspberry chocolate Talenti gelato!

GottaSki Mentor

Salmon on the grill with a grilled pineapple " salsa", sort of stir fry veggies - fresh green beans, carrots and sweet onion with Teryaki, Schar baguette with garlic cream cheese & sea salt caramel and raspberry chocolate Talenti gelato!

Fancy!

Dinner tonight is paleo pizza for me and whatever we find at the Wawona Hotel Restaurant for the hubs as we are headed towards Yosemite right now....can't wait :)

Oh....cuz I'm getting a bit of grains back I added a touch of flour to my paleo cauliflower-crust to help make it even closer to real pizza....so mine is now paleo (ish) pizza ;)

shadowicewolf Proficient

It is snowing... in May... :ph34r:

No idea what i'm doing for dinner.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

It is snowing... in May... :ph34r:

No idea what i'm doing for dinner.

I'd make chili or some type of soup or stew. Snow? Now? That just seems like some sort of really messed up and inappropriate joke.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I'd make chili or some type of soup or stew. Snow? Now? That just seems like some sort of really messed up and inappropriate joke.

It looks more like a blizzard at the moment. :ph34r:

IrishHeart Veteran

Fancy!

Dinner tonight is paleo pizza for me and whatever we find at the Wawona Hotel Restaurant for the hubs as we are headed towards Yosemite right now....can't wait :)

Oh....cuz I'm getting a bit of grains back I added a touch of flour to my paleo cauliflower-crust to help make it even closer to real pizza....so mine is now paleo (ish) pizza ;)

J and I stayed at the Wawona back in 2003 when we did our California tour!. Just an awesome place.  Enjoy! xx

sauteed collards & bacon, grilled pork and risotto.

and a big ole glass of tito's vodka and seltzer.

cheers!

kareng Grand Master

It looks more like a blizzard at the moment. :ph34r:

My kid at CSU said there was snow on the ground when he got up today. Not sure if they got more.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Rolled in from a camping weekend with a big group of friends near San Diego. Bought a Costco chicken on Friday and fixings prepared so that my family can heat and serve me! Winds are picking up. Expected to be a scorcher tomorrow!

Yosemite! Have fun, Lisa!

Happy Mother's Day!

GottaSki Mentor

Great to hear Irish....only camped once at the wawona campground...excited to stay at the hotel...added bonus the restaurant has a fabulous food menu - looks like the chef will be able to do something safe for me and they serve one of my favorite zins for eight bucks :D

GottaSki Mentor

CL...enjoy your day near my hood and happy moms day to you too!

IrishHeart Veteran

Great to hear Irish....only camped once at the wawona campground...excited to stay at the hotel...added bonus the restaurant has a fabulous food menu - looks like the chef will be able to do something safe for me and they serve one of my favorite zins for eight bucks :D

As we recall, dinner was 4-star and we stayed in a cabin. Have fun!

GottaSki Mentor

As we recall, dinner was 4-star and we stayed in a cabin. Have fun!

Thanks! We are staying in a room with doors to the veranda....rooms are discounted fifty percent within the NP System right now....hoping to get a night at the john muir lodge in kings canyon on our way home :)

LauraTX Rising Star

Last night I made an awesome batch of pulled pork.  Was a 2.5lb pork ribeye roast, put in the crockpot with some BBQ sauce (I use Stubbs), gluten-free soy sauce, and some seasonings, cooked on high for 1.5 hours, then low for 7 hours.  Served over mashed potatoes and baked beans on the side.  Eating that for dinner again today, I may make sandwiches.

Adalaide Mentor

I am going to cook my first trout tonight. I've never cooked one before but an uncle is an avid fisher and catches far more than they can comfortably eat. So I told him as long as it doesn't have a head on it, we'll take them. (I do NOT do food that looks back at me, it creeps me the hell out.) I hope I still like it, I haven't had trout since I was a teen.

Adalaide Mentor

The trout was a hit. Yay!!! I can let my husband's uncle know to send more over if he has spares. I've never had to deal with a mostly whole fish before though, so that was a challenge. I suppose practice will make perfect.

Recently my husband said he wants to make a bbq ranch chicken pizza. Something we used to make all the time together. But, I've only bought pizza crusts up til now (from Venice Bakery) and we don't have any at the moment. So I picked up a Chebe mix and we're test driving it tonight as bread sticks with pasta and meatballs. If all goes well, we'll upgrade to our pizza probably in the immediate future.

I also had my first day of PT today. Got my evaluation and a list of home exercises. I'm so glad I got referred to someone who already knows what they need to about my disease. I'm sick of explaining to medical people exactly what is and isn't appropriate, so doing that with a physical therapist would just get incredibly awkward. Thursday she'll put me in the pool, and I'm feeling very hopeful about it all since she seems to know what she's doing with me and CRPS. The longer I can put off my first neck stabbing (stellate ganglion block) the happier I'll be. :)

kareng Grand Master

Last night we had Hot Pockets/ Not so Sloppy Sloppy Joes. Yum!

Tonight rice, beans, corn, carrots, salsa, taco chicken left overs, cheese.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Seriously, it hit 100 yesterday and we opted for cold Costco chicken, cold salad and cold cantaloupe. Tonight it is grilled pork tenderloin and more cold salad and fruit. It is expected to be even HOTTER! Ugh! What happened to "Gray May" (ocean-driven, cloudy-overcast that typically occurs until noon and keeps temperatures moderate)? I sure hope "June Gloom" happens, but this weather has been wacky!

Better brew more ice tea!

IrishHeart Veteran

I also had my first day of PT today. Got my evaluation and a list of home exercises. I'm so glad I got referred to someone who already knows what they need to about my disease. I'm sick of explaining to medical people exactly what is and isn't appropriate, so doing that with a physical therapist would just get incredibly awkward. Thursday she'll put me in the pool, and I'm feeling very hopeful about it all since she seems to know what she's doing with me and CRPS. The longer I can put off my first neck stabbing (stellate ganglion block) the happier I'll be. :)

ooooh, ok, this is where I get to say "I told ya so" but I won't. LOL

You're going to feel better. I can hoestly say that the PT and MT was what got me out of extreme pain and back in the game. You have to make pain to get out of pain, though, sorry. It's part of the healing process and the retraining of the muscles, getting the nerves to stop misfiring.... just do as you're told, young lady.  ^_^

IrishHeart Veteran

Seriously, it hit 100 yesterday and we opted for cold Costco chicken, cold salad and cold cantaloupe. Tonight it is grilled pork tenderloin and more cold salad and fruit. It is expected to be even HOTTER! Ugh! What happened to "Gray May" (ocean-driven, cloudy-overcast that typically occurs until noon and keeps temperatures moderate)? I sure hope "June Gloom" happens, but this weather has been wacky!

Crazy here too. high 80s -low 90s...but not humid, thank goodness. I am sure June-Sept. will be a different story. Stay cool! :)

I've got Karen's FKGadget going...chicken cacciatore. I'll probably serve it over brown rice with some watermelon for dessert.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Cold water melon when its really hot is good too.

Crazy here too. high 80s -low 90s...but not humid, thank goodness. I am sure June-Sept. will be a different story. Stay cool! :)

I've got Karen's FKGadget going...chicken cacciatore. I'll probably serve it over brown rice with some watermelon for dessert.

That is too warm for me.

GottaSki Mentor

Greetings from Sunny San Diego....seems a fire bug or terrorist has figured out a way to tax our emergency services to the breaking point.

Thankfully, the Santa Ana winds that were not predicted to calm for another few days have calmed a bit more than expected -- hopefully giving San Diego County and CalFire crews time to take control of the damage caused by this wackadoodle.

I'm in "BubbleGirl Mode" wet bandanas or N95 mask as needed, ice packs packing my torso while getting the house ready if we have unexpected guests from East County later in the day.

On the good news -- had an incredibly beautiful couple days in Yosemite and King's Canyon with my wonderful hubs -- just sad to drive home to multiple fires visible as we drove into San Diego County.

Dinner will be something simple as I'm not sure how many guests we may have between our family and my kids friends that are close to the evac areas.

10325274_10152400513838057_9054920302674