This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

IrishHeart Veteran

That's just plain scary, Ski. Please be careful, sweets. Keep me posted. xxoo

Glad you had a great few days away! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

GottaSki Mentor

Thanks Irish :)

I'm actually doing really well -- being prepared helps with my silly system as well as in other situations ;)

GF Lover Rising Star

Oh my gosh Lisa.  Please be careful.

Colleen

GottaSki Mentor

I'm fine Colleen -- we live near the beach.

This photo is really dramatic...but the important part to remember is

The big equipment has arrived...now the firefighters can get the situation under control :)

I love our Firefighters and all first responders - everywhere!

notme Experienced

sons of bill - wrote a song called 'santa ana winds'  - it's pretty great (and they are pretty nice fellers, too)  check 'em

tonight is:  skip ;)

last night i made swedish meatballs w/noodles <would have been good with zoodles, tho) and carrots.  i accidently got whole wheat pasta instead of regular for the hubs (most nights i just make all gluten-free pasta, but sometimes i gotta spoil him) anyways, back to the wheat:  he b%$@#ed so hard about the whole wheat!  i was like wth!  lololz what is this GAME of LOVE that i CANNOT WIN !!!????   ^_^

still fooling with house painters.  this is how it goes:  i have a list of painters referred from various sources.  i call a painter, and he tells me he is booked through till july.  we paint a little more on the house.  i call the next one on the list.  he tells me an outrageous price and then tells me they can't touch the level of workmanship that my husband has already done (basically, we're going to rob you and do crappy work) i tell them how much money i have to spend.  we paint a little more on the house.  i go buy a ladder stabilizer and five gallons of paint.  i call the next painter on the list.  tells me he'll calll me back between 5-6 pm.  no call.  we paint a little more on the house.  the second painter calls me back.  they now know how much $$ we have to spend and are determined to separate us from it.   they want to come and and do a REALLY crappy job.  we paint a little more on the house..................  

we are nearly finished painting.   <_<

cyclinglady Grand Master

Lisa -- close to the beach, but the winds full of dirt, smoke and "melted countertops" are heading in your direction. Turn off the a/c if it is drawing in outside air. Take care!

Winds are going again up in the North OC . Our outside thermometer says 108 degrees (but it is in the sun).

I am going outside to fry an egg on the sidewalk!

GottaSki Mentor

sons of bill - wrote a song called 'santa ana winds'  - it's pretty great (and they are pretty nice fellers, too)  check 'em

tonight is:  skip ;)

last night i made swedish meatballs w/noodles <would have been good with zoodles, tho) and carrots.  i accidently got whole wheat pasta instead of regular for the hubs (most nights i just make all gluten-free pasta, but sometimes i gotta spoil him) anyways, back to the wheat:  he b%$@#ed so hard about the whole wheat!  i was like wth!  lololz what is this GAME of LOVE that i CANNOT WIN !!!????   ^_^

still fooling with house painters.  this is how it goes:  i have a list of painters referred from various sources.  i call a painter, and he tells me he is booked through till july.  we paint a little more on the house.  i call the next one on the list.  he tells me an outrageous price and then tells me they can't touch the level of workmanship that my husband has already done (basically, we're going to rob you and do crappy work) i tell them how much money i have to spend.  we paint a little more on the house.  i go buy a ladder stabilizer and five gallons of paint.  i call the next painter on the list.  tells me he'll calll me back between 5-6 pm.  no call.  we paint a little more on the house.  the second painter calls me back.  they now know how much $$ we have to spend and are determined to separate us from it.   they want to come and and do a REALLY crappy job.  we paint a little more on the house..................  

we are nearly finished painting.   <_<

lmao....sorry for all the work you guys are doing, but great story :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Lisa -- close to the beach, but the winds full of dirt, smoke and "melted countertops" are heading in your direction. Turn off the a/c if it is drawing in outside air. Take care!

Winds are going again up in the North OC . Our outside thermometer says 108 degrees (but it is in the sun).

I am going outside to fry an egg on the sidewalk!

We have no A/C....we close all the windows and spend most of the time in the bottom floor walkout -- lots cooler down there.

Stay cool -- 102 in the shade here and the winds are kicking a bit :(

GottaSki Mentor

Thanks Arlene -- perfect for today.

notme Experienced

i'm glad you like it :)  three of them are brothers james, the hunky front man - swoon - if i was 20 yrs younger, sam & abe.  i've got a photo with me & james ;)  my favorite song they do is called 'the rain', but the vocals in 'roll on jordan' are fabulous.  genetic harmony.  plus, they're super sweet guys.  if you notice, seth can't play his bass with shoes on lolz  :D 

IrishHeart Veteran

lmao 

truth be told, I never liked whole wheat pasta when I was still "one of the unenlightened"...probably a texture thing, I think. 

J never minds the gluten-free pasta.He likes the jovial and the barilla best. I agree! 

GottaSki Mentor

A new morning here in Sunny San Diego!

Thankfully the winds are switching directions today which will bring the much needed cooler air - hoping for gentle wind speeds -- to help our firefighters get control of the mess this ass%$@# or ass%$@#s created. 

As usual with these wildfires the reports of houses being destroyed are heartbreaking -- a friend from HS's older sister's home is gone this morning, heartbreaking but she and the others will rebuild -- lives can't be replaced -- a body was found in close to one of the clusters of homes that burned -- waiting for the news that it was a homeowner that decided to protect their own property.  If you receive an evacuation order for whatever reason -- take heed and live to complain about the displacement.  Oops...hoping off the soapbox.

Last night we had breakfast for dinner -- only niece and nephew as guests -- their SDPD parents were off doing evacs -- this is a detective and an investigator -- one of which hasn't been in uniform on the streets for over fifteen years -- this is how stretched our emergency personnel is :(

Today I get to watch another nephew, my "angel baby" (6'5" 24 year old loves when I call him that in public) graduate from SDSU with three degrees...check out his functional art:

http://www.chancecoalter.com/furniture.html

Happy Friday Dinner Peeps :wub:

cyclinglady Grand Master

Wow! What a gift, Lisa! I wish your nephew much success and happiness!

notme Experienced

A new morning here in Sunny San Diego!

Thankfully the winds are switching directions today which will bring the much needed cooler air - hoping for gentle wind speeds -- to help our firefighters get control of the mess this ass%$@# or ass%$@#s created. 

As usual with these wildfires the reports of houses being destroyed are heartbreaking -- a friend from HS's older sister's home is gone this morning, heartbreaking but she and the others will rebuild -- lives can't be replaced -- a body was found in close to one of the clusters of homes that burned -- waiting for the news that it was a homeowner that decided to protect their own property.  If you receive an evacuation order for whatever reason -- take heed and live to complain about the displacement.  Oops...hoping off the soapbox.

Last night we had breakfast for dinner -- only niece and nephew as guests -- their SDPD parents were off doing evacs -- this is a detective and an investigator -- one of which hasn't been in uniform on the streets for over fifteen years -- this is how stretched our emergency personnel is :(

Today I get to watch another nephew, my "angel baby" (6'5" 24 year old loves when I call him that in public) graduate from SDSU with three degrees...check out his functional art:

http://www.chancecoalter.com/furniture.html

Happy Friday Dinner Peeps :wub:

:( wow - really scary out there, huh.  i hope everybody complies with evac orders, although i don't know how i would act under the circumstances!  it would be hard to leave my home on a moment's notice :(

your nephew looks like an 'angel baby'!  congrats!!  (and that is one funky chair lolz - have you tried it out?)  :D

tonight's dinner will be a crap shoot.  hubs snapped a front spring in dayton oh and ran it all the way down to knoxville without realizing it was broken.  he must have an army of guardian angels.  an.  army.  of.  them.  

being a trucker's wife is so romantic, when you're out there at 3 am and he whispers softly in your ear, "baby?  would you hold this?"  - it's the flashlight................... :rolleyes:

GottaSki Mentor

nope haven't tried his chairs yet...the two on his website are in a fu-fu gallery in Santa Monica -- hoping some rich movie star types want to order -- maybe when he's sold enough he'll make one for his dear old auntie -- I like the tri-pod one, not the rocker, but don't tell him that ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

Let's start the weekend off right, shall we?

birthday-surprise-smiley-emoticon.gif

Birthday Girl in da howzz....that's right.....Happy Birthday, Dear Lisa, SKI,  ms. buttons. whoohoo!!! love you lots!!!

delightful-surprise-smiley-emoticon.gif

Adalaide Mentor

Happy Birthday!!!

Birthday-Smiley-Face2.webp

GottaSki Mentor

Thank you ladies!

Good day today despite the heat and tomorrow promises to be a bit cooler which is the best birthday gift for me :)

Adalaide Mentor

Wednesday we found some Georges on sale at a really great price the first time we stopped in the new Wal-Mart Marketplace that opened near us. (which puts us at 3 Wal-Marts we can grocery shop at within 10 minutes from home. SO SPOILED!) We cooked one last night and will can him today. We'll probably make dinner of leftovers. We've been weeding today and getting ready to plant, which hopefully we'll do before the end of the day. Just getting a break during the hottest part of the day, going out to pick up a few things then going to get George into jars then head back out when the sun is heading west.

notme Experienced

Happy Birthday!!!

Birthday-Smiley-Face2.webp

happy b-day, ski-lisa!!!  (sorry for the regifted smilies lolz )

IrishHeart Veteran

happy b-day, ski-lisa!!!  (sorry for the regifted smilies lolz )

no, you're not  :lol: lmao 

Adalaide Mentor

We were at Costco yesterday and they were doing a bunch of gluten free samples again. One of them was Tortilla Land tortillas, which are amazingly delicious. We'll have quesadillas tonight. Can't wait. I may have spoiled my dinner a little though. Costco also now sells huge boxes of Glutino oreos which somehow ended up in the cart and I just couldn't resist and wait until after dinner. It's a good thing that being gluten free teaches restraint or I'd be worse than broke shopping there. :ph34r:

IrishHeart Veteran

Just received a reply to an email I sent to Love2Travel and she reports that on Wednesday, they will leave for their new home in Croatia!

How exciting to be starting a new life!! She said she'll be in touch very soon.

I made a menu for myself because I am on a diet. :ph34r: 

Focusing on the ingredients of the Meditteranean diet --or if you just look at it, basically, what my Grandmother ate and she was healthy.

Once absorption kicked in, I packed on the lbs. :( This was good in one way, but not so great in another.

Seems stoopit to take 3 years to heal and get my health on track and then, be at risk for heart disease & diabetes (which runs in my family) just because of my excessive carb (and bacon and cheese and gelato)  intake. 

Meal planning helps me focus, so I'm giving you this week's offerings at my house. :D You will notice the absence of gelato. :( but hey, when I 

hit the 10 lbs. mark, I may eat a tub of it. (or not, depends.) lol

Tonight: pasta puttanesca (got a gorgeous basil plant begging to be used) 

Monday: turkey meatloaf, sweet potatoes and asparagus

Tuesday: Tuscan white bean soup with spicy chicken sausage and escarole

Wednesday: Lemon chicken with tarragon, zucchini and summer squash with tomatoes.

Thursday: portuguese kale soup

Friday: white pizza with garlic and broccoli (hey, I'm not a saint)

Saturday: veal chop, sauteed chard and tossed salad with balsamic vinaigrette.

Adalaide Mentor

Hey, I would live at your house with that meal plan. It sounds amazing! And I'd be happy to eat all your gelato for you. Sure, I'd be happy to lose some weight, but I'm also perfectly happy to stay this size forever too. Whatever. I'd rather be fat and happy than skinny and living life without cupcakes and gelato. :lol:

I'm making chicken something tonight. I have an actual plan, I just forget what it is. We picked up a McCormick recipe pack at the store that sounded delicious and it says something about thighs, which my husband hates (he hates lots of delicious things <_<) so I'll just make it with breasts instead. He claims that he's just always been more of a breast man than a leg/thigh man and I can't change that for him. I say if you're only enjoying half the bird you're missing half the fun. :P

IrishHeart Veteran

I do not expect to be skinny, Addy, (and I did not look especially attractive as skin and bones when I was sick) ....but I do not want to be 45 lbs.overweight either.

I don't think I'll be unhappy giving up a few goodies for a few weeks, and if I want something, I can always have one of these brownies.

They are not very fattening, but still tasty.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/04/pb2-flourless-chocolate-brownies.html

I suspect my physical therapy, pain level and energy levels will benefit  if I am not struggling with excess weight right now. That is more important to me at this point than gelato. ^_^