9530 replies to this topic

#496 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:52 AM

Tonight we're having baked Maui Maui, brown rice and a salad of lettuce, mango, avocado, roma tomato and red onion slices. I just had all those things to use up and so I thought why not make a salad. I'm just going to use olive oil and a splash of lemon for dressing.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#497 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:37 PM

Dinner at the man's house tonight. Usually that means steak and potatoes. :blink: (and champagne)
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#498 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:50 PM

Spaghetti squash topped with green pepper, zucchini, onions, and sausage in a red sauce.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#499 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:54 PM

Tuna sandwich on Udi's bread and Lay's Stax potato chips. Hey, it's food and it's real. :P
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#500 etta694

etta694

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:03 PM

Dinner at the man's house tonight. Usually that means steak and potatoes. :blink: (and champagne)

That's what I am having... first time posting here because I am not very creative... BBQ steak (it's a smokin 36 F outside.. time to break out the barby) and caesar salad... yum!
Anemia and IBS through my life
2005 Joint pain, exhaustion, general feeling of not being well 2006 Beginning of testing for everything but Celiac 2008 Bloating, more muscle stiffness, feeling sicker, more exhausted-testing 'normal' 2010 March insides begin to shut down, cough that won't go away 2010 June Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, biopsy - all show no problems
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant - went gluten free. Within 3 days feeling better.
After 5 days - insides began to move
Now - feel better than I have felt for 15 years (except when I gluten myself.. which I'm good at)

#501 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:09 PM

Just washed some baby lettuce from the garden for a salad, and cut some swiss chard - don't know what's going with that yet (maybe a mini white lasagna for two), but have you ever tried boiling enough water to wash your veggies in all the time? :unsure: What a PITA :rolleyes: They keep saying they are going to lift the restriction "soon" :P What a lot of energy will be saved!!
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#502 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:06 AM

Just washed some baby lettuce from the garden for a salad, and cut some swiss chard - don't know what's going with that yet (maybe a mini white lasagna for two), but have you ever tried boiling enough water to wash your veggies in all the time? :unsure: What a PITA :rolleyes: They keep saying they are going to lift the restriction "soon" :P What a lot of energy will be saved!!

Lettuce from the garden? You're not kidding, are you? The snow finally started melting here yesterday but we have a few feet to go.

Anyway, tonight we are having:

Roast Chicken with Moroccan Rub and Roasted Lemons
Roasted Baby Potatoes and Carrots with Fresh Thyme and Rosemary
Melted Leeks (in white wine)
Cornbread
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#503 etta694

etta694

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:24 AM

Whenever I read your posts, Love2travel, I fall apart drooling.. (and others too.. but especially these...) :rolleyes:
If I made this, it would read -
chicken
potatoes and carrots
cornbread
(never cooked a leek in my life)

and that's how it would taste too... :(

It's a good thing people post meals.. it makes me want to learn to cook.. :)
2005 Joint pain, exhaustion, general feeling of not being well 2006 Beginning of testing for everything but Celiac 2008 Bloating, more muscle stiffness, feeling sicker, more exhausted-testing 'normal' 2010 March insides begin to shut down, cough that won't go away 2010 June Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, biopsy - all show no problems
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant - went gluten free. Within 3 days feeling better.
Now - feel better than I have felt for 15 years (except when I gluten myself.. which I'm good at)

#504 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:48 AM

Whenever I read your posts, Love2travel, I fall apart drooling.. (and others too.. but especially these...) :rolleyes:
If I made this, it would read -
chicken
potatoes and carrots
cornbread
(never cooked a leek in my life)

and that's how it would taste too... :(

It's a good thing people post meals.. it makes me want to learn to cook.. :)

I enjoy describing things so you get the feel and taste of the recipe.

You can (and are) learn(ing) to cook! It comes with practice and experience. Once you start to develop confidence in it you can cook most things at home (except for sous vide, etc. for molecular gastronomy - I'm dabbing in it but need more practice). Experimenting with fresh herbs, for example, is revolutionary. Then perhaps move on to mastering cooking proteins to temperature. For example, on Thursday I taught a class on a bunch of stuff which included brined pork tenderloin with a vanilla bean vinaigrette. Three guys in the class told me it was the best pork they'd tasted. Ever. It was still blush pink inside and we literally cut it with a spoon. One said that up until Thursday he hated pork! After showing him how to properly sear and oven finish it he was stunned at how simple it was. He said he is now motivated to sear, etc. That is success. :D I could see light bulbs going on in several people and so tried to nurture their interest.

Food is important. All I do is try to make it enticing, compelling, interesting and exciting. When I see an uncommon ingredient I grab it. Then I experiment with it. My attention span is short and I really enjoy variety. I cook with a whole load of passion and heart.

So, once you have a bit of excitement for it, grab on and hold tightly to it. Then nurture it. It will grow like wild - it can be an addiction. Get in the kitchen and play. Even supposed "failures" can be successes because you learn what to and not to do the next time. :P

I have tons of experience with it which helps. Technically I suppose I must admit I am almost middle aged. :o I've loved cooking and have experimented with it since the age of 6 so it's in my blood. :)

There is a fascinating book called "The Flavour Bible" which outlines flavour combinations. Knowing what goes with what is a great start. For example, perhaps blue cheese and chocolate sauce sounds odd but it is fabulous with braised short ribs. Cayenne in brownies is wonderful. It goes on and on and on...
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#505 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:57 AM

Chicken wings, pasta salad and basketball!!! Go VCU!
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#506 etta694

etta694

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:02 AM

This is intriguing me.. I never knew I cared :P . Firstly, I want to go to your class.. (that sounds awesome) or any class but we live in a small town so.. no go but.. second, buy that book and start to experiment. You know, I never really cared about cooking before :huh:.. don't know why.. but NOW it matters! Thanks for the advice..
(I know why...I had a nominal home-ec teacher.. taught survival cooking.. I had no idea cooking was interesting!)
(another thing about small towns.. can't buy vanilla beans.. :( )

hee hee.. basketballs don't stew up very good.. :D

#507 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:40 AM

This is intriguing me.. I never knew I cared :P . Firstly, I want to go to your class.. (that sounds awesome) or any class but we live in a small town so.. no go but.. second, buy that book and start to experiment. You know, I never really cared about cooking before :huh:.. don't know why.. but NOW it matters! Thanks for the advice..
(another thing about small towns.. can't buy vanilla beans.. :( )

hee hee.. basketballs don't stew up very good.. :D

I'm surprised that our small town actually does carry vanilla beans! They also carry lemongrass after I practically begged several times. It's certainly not a gourmet town by any stretch - it is a wealthy oil town that is full of young transients who rely on icky take-out. So, I am getting to know the produce guy, butcher, etc.

And you'd be surprised at how good braised basketballs can be... :lol:

#508 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:46 AM

love2travel, you could make a living writing menus for restaurants :lol: Everyone would want to order every dish.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#509 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:48 PM

love2travel, you could make a living writing menus for restaurants :lol: Everyone would want to order every dish.

Man, wouldn't that be a fun, low stress job? :P

#510 etta694

etta694

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:19 PM

Man, wouldn't that be a fun, low stress job? :P

And it would be ALL GLUTEN FREE!!! :D :D :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: